August 2021 Homework Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 2021 Homework Question

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are BB and action folds to the BTN who raises to 2bb. What is your strategy?

Suppose you call and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes 9
    ♣-3♦-2♠ and the BTN bets 1.4bbs. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 5bbs and the BTN calls. The turn comes the 6
    ♥. What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet 3bbs and the BTN calls. The river comes the Q

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are BB and action folds to the BTN who raises to 2bb. What is your strategy?

Suppose you call and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes 9♣-3♦-2♠ and the BTN bets 1.4bbs. What is your strategy?

The BTN has every advantage here: They have the range advantage, nut advantage, AND position. On top of that, we have an impossibly wide range to defend on a very dry flop. As a result, I'm folding a TON in this spot.

BTN bets 1.4 into 5.5. We have to call 1.4 to win 6.9, meaning MDF is 6.9 / (1.4 + 6.9) = 83%. Given the pot odds we were offered preflop and the issues mentioned in the previous paragraph, we don't need to strictly meet that 83% in this spot.

Suppose you raise to 5bbs and the BTN calls. The turn comes the 6♥. What is your strategy?

Now that we've slimmed down our range on the flop, it's important not to overfold anymore. I'm continuing to bet with Q9+ along with any draw that's at least a gutshot + one overcard.

Suppose you bet 3bbs and the BTN calls. The river comes the Q♥. What is your strategy?

This is...slightly less than ideal. If I build a checking range with my worst value hands then I won't have enough premiums to bluff with all of the missed draws I've gotten to the river with. Even then, the checking range will be too junk-heavy. The alternative is to just hang my river checking range out to dry, which is what I'm going with here. I'm putting the A-high missed draws in this range on the off chance that they somehow win a showdown, though I consider that highly unlikely.

We have 10BB behind and the pot is 21.5. If we jam it's roughly 1/2 pot so we can have about 25% bluffs, which is what I ended up with.

I'm not sure how to get to the river with a range that can be reasonably balanced. I imagine that I need to play one or more of the earlier streets differently, but I'm not sure how.
    Last edited by McLovin; 08-05-2021, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• edy
      edy commented
      Editing a comment
      The river ratios may be ok since you make money on 75% of your range.

• McLovin
      McLovin commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe so. I've seen JL concede that in certain spots you just can't realistically defend every portion of your range. My problem now is that I don't know what the factors are to determine which spots that's true for.

Preflop
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BB pre.png Views:	0 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	51000

Flop
    Click image for larger version  Name:	flop.png Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	51146
    The BB calls widely and needs to realize 1.4/(1.4+5.5+1.4)=18% equity OOP.

The "54" combos will rarely get raised since the BB is polarized.

Turn

Click image for larger version  Name:	turn.png Views:	0 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	51147

River
    Click image for larger version  Name:	rvr.png Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	51148
    The 20% small bet on the turn could have allowed the BTN to call widely and pair a Q.
    Last edited by edy; 08-08-2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Benno

Suppose you call and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes 9♣-3♦-2♠ and the BTN bets 1.4bbs. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 5bbs and the BTN calls. The turn comes the 6♥. What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet 3bbs and the BTN calls. The river comes the Q♥. What is your strategie

Preflop

Its pretty hard to memorize this ranges

Suppose you bet 3bbs and the BTN calls. The river comes the Q♥. What is your strategie

Last edited by Gambit; 08-08-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pre flop.png Views:	0 Size:	170.2 KB ID:	50951
        - Due the fact I'm short I don't mind being well balanced in my raising range, but if I would I will probably add 98s, T9s and JTs as my raising as bluff due the fact they will give me a good board coverage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flop.png Views:	0 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	50952
        - Since I don't have many nutted hands I don't know if I will be raising with a high frequency, I would probably mostly call since the c-bet is small

Click image for larger version  Name:	Turn.png Views:	0 Size:	170.2 KB ID:	50953
        Suppose you bet 3bbs and the BTN calls. The river comes the Q♥. What is your strategy?

Click image for larger version  Name:	River.png Views:	0 Size:	166.3 KB ID:	50950
        Last edited by lfap; 07-27-2021, 06:38 PM.

Comment

The pot is 5.5bb, and B is betting ~1/4 pot. I've got a wide capped range with loads of junk (but it only cost me 1bb to get here) so I need to call with some pretty weak holdings. B should strong range & nut advantages, so I would have checked my entire range and not be planning to check-raise anything. I am over-folding (30%), compared to MDF (20%), but I think that's okay given my range disadvantage.

Back to the drawing board -- I suppose I need a Flop x-raising range if I'm to get this far.

Even though I have zero sets, zero over-pairs and only 6 2-pr. combos, I have loads of top-pair and this board mostly misses B's range & their 1.4bb flop C-bet is likely made with their entire range (only ~22% of which is top pair or better). By betting 5bb into a pot of that will then be 11.9bb, I will immediately profit if B folds at least 42% of the time. But, that would mean B's folding everything worse than A-high except 65s for a gutter & maybe the best over-cards+bdfd (3 combos of KQs). That seems overly ambitious.

@@
          Last edited by bengoshidesu; 08-05-2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Larry H; 08-09-2021, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Hi all, this is my first time doing this. not too sure what the golden ratio should be for premium made (bet) vs draw (bet) for each street. I will probably pick it up during the upcoming webinar.

Considering that we are starting with effective 20BB stack, some hands which are typically marginal made (in deeper stack situation )has been placed to premium made for this analysis
              Last edited by rebbulc27; 07-28-2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Shit I forgot, just did this real fast

Suppose you call and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes 9
                ♣-3♦-2♠ and the BTN bets 1.4bbs. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 5bbs and the BTN calls. The turn comes the 6

Suppose you bet 3bbs and the BTN calls. The river comes the Q
                Attached Files
                Last edited by kkep; 08-09-2021, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Comment

• Spukey
                    Spukey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Fugu, I see on the flop (second image) you have a number of hands in green with Clubs, Diamond and Spades marked. I have noticed a few people in the Homework doing this. Maybe I am doing it wrong but perhaps JL can address this in the webinar. The GREEN should be for marginal made hands like second and third pair, or even top pair with a bad kicker sometimes. Occasionally you might use two overcards marked as marginal. Not sure if you meant to mark these as backdoor flush draws, or backdoor flush draws with backdoor straights.
                    In this instance i dont think it matters too much as the homework said we raised. However think about your calling range. Even with the small bet of 1.4bb would you want to call with J7 of spades on this board out of position? You also have things like 107o and Q5o marked that you would call the bet. In my opinion these are junk and should mucked, especially given the short stack.
                    Happy to discuss as i am a novice too and find it educational to see how others think about ranges.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Aug 2021 HW PF (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	50976

All of my suited selections should be S,D,C. None are S,H,C. I mixed them up working on the range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Aug 2021 HW Flop (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.7 KB ID:	50977

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug 2021 HW Turn (2).jpg
Views:	228
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	50978

I think bluffing an A, 6 or 5 on the river would be bad. I also don't think the V has many Qx floats so the river Q doesn't concern me. Of course sometimes the V is just going to show us AA or whatever but that's how it goes when we are short stacked.

I'm not even sure I'm supposed to check any 9x but I think my range would be over bluffing if I bet it all.

Name:	Aug 2021 HW River (2).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	50979
                  Last edited by kkep; 07-29-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Buttons 20bb opening range.. Below is the GTO 20bb Button Opening range. When he raises, I can assume he has all of these hands still in his range, even though some players shove some of these hands. His range is pretty wide and uncapped at this stage.

Name:	Button 20bb opening range.png
Views:	236
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	50984

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are in the BB and action folds to the button, who raises to 2bb, what is your strategy? I am out of position with quite short stack. When button raises, he is pretty wide and his range is uncapped. At this depth, I’m 3-Betting small with the top of my range and a few bluffs and shoving lower pairs and some bluffs. I also have a very wide calling range. The blue figures are all-in shoves, not 3-bet bluffs. I get 3.5:1 to call and need 22% equity to do so. The pot is 4.5bbs and I have 18bbs left. The SPR is 4 and at this depth, I will be shoving any overpair and even decent top pair hands on the flop.

My 20bb BB defending range.

Name:	BB 20bb defending range.png
Views:	235
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	50985

Suppose you call and the flop goes heads up. The flop comes 9c,3d,2s and the button bets 1.4bbs. What is your strategy? When I call pre-flop, I lose the top hands in my range, which I would shove or 3-bet. His bet is tiny. He may have missed an Ace or be trying to induce a bet. More like he’s missed. The flop smashes my range (22 x 9s, 19 x 3s and 17 x 2s) and the middle cards mostly miss his range (15 x 9s, 4 x 3s and 3 x 2s). I assume I’ve checked and would raise my top pairs and 2 x pairs and would be prepared to go all-in with them. I have bet some draws, value hands and checked marginals and junk. The pot was 4.5bbs and he bet 1.4bbs. To call, I get 4.21:1 to call. I need 19% equity to call. If I call, the pot will be 7.3bbs.

My flop strategy

Name:	BB 20bb flop strategy.png
Views:	240
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	50986

Suppose you X- raise to 5bbs and the button calls. The turn comes 6h. What is your strategy? By this stage, I’ve removed my calling and junk hands. The 6 again smashes my range. I have all the str88s and 2 x pr hands in my range, as well as sets and he still is behind in range. When he checks, he caps his range and I can remove AA-10/10, AK and AQ as well (think he’d have shoved these earlier). The pot is 14.5bbs and I have 13bbs left. By this stage, I’m betting my whole range, 3rd pot to shove the river. I bet all 9(x) hands for value, as well as my 2 x pair hands. I check some pairs and bluff bet overcards and the odd A(x) hands.

My turn strategy.

Name:	BB turn strategy.png
Views:	240
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	50987

Suppose you bet 3bbs and the button calls. The river comes Qh. What is your strategy? He is shallow (as well as me) and this card hits his range better, as he can have any Q(x) hands. Its mostly one pair, whereas, I still have all straights, sets and 2 x pair combos on my range. I’m shoving everything here. The pot by this time is 17.5 bbs and I have 10bbs behind. I have very little junk left in my range and most of my hands have some sort of SD equity.

My river strategy.

Name:	BB river strategy.png
Views:	238
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	50988

Comment

PREFLOP

FLOP

TURN

Comment

​​​

pot 5.5bb, he has rng (58% per flopzilla) and nut adv with over pairs, lot of 9's, A4 & a5'S for SD's but misses with hi unpaired cards, we just have 9's SD's,32, lots of 3's & 2's no other pairs. Tiny C bet doesnt look like he has much or is trapping MDF=80%, we have a lot of junk

​

pot 15.5 Btn Called ck/R caps his rng or is slow playing over pairs or has two big cards or underpairs

​

pot 21.5

Comment

Comment

Name:	R03-039191preflop.png
Views:	198
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	51039

Name:	R03-083468flop.png
Views:	198
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	51040

Name:	R03-062767turn.png
Views:	192
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	51041

Name:	R03-053483river.png
Views:	188
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	51042

Comment

Name:	Preflop.png
Views:	167
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	51134 Click image for larger version  Name:	Flop.png Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	51131 Click image for larger version  Name:	Turn.png Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	51133 Click image for larger version  Name:	River.png Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	51132
                              Last edited by WanSLenowski; 08-07-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Last edited by HappyUno; 08-08-2021, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Spukey
                                  Spukey commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Hey Happy,
                                  I see on the flop (second image) you have a number of hands in green with Clubs, Diamond and Spades marked. I have noticed a few people in the Homework doing this. Maybe I am doing it wrong but perhaps JL can address this in the webinar. The GREEN should be for marginal made hands like second and third pair, or even top pair with a bad kicker sometimes. Occasionally you might use two overcards marked as marginal. Not sure if you meant to mark these as backdoor flush draws, or backdoor flush draws with backdoor straights. However I notice that you have Q6s in GREEN (Marginal) and J6s in BLUE (Draw). Not sure what the difference is between these two hands? I had a similar starting range to you, but I have classed many of these hands as JUNK. I know that backdoor draws should be accounted for, but with range and nut disadvantage and out of position I could not see myself playing these hands.
                                  Happy to discuss as i am a novice too and find it educational to see how others think about ranges. It looks like a lot of people are doing similar to you and I am in the minority.

August 2021: Poker Homework Questions
                                1. In a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are BB and action folds to the BTN who raises to 2bb. What is your strategy?
                                Against a competent opponent, at 20bb, I endeavor to play as close to GTO as possible. I would use a mixed strategy with 3-betting which would include all-in 3-betting as well as a smaller 3-bet to 6bb. This strategy is designed to be an implementable strategy simplifying the GTO ranges. Our range is illustrated in Figure 1.

Figure 1. BB strategy against BUT RFI 2bb at 20bb effective stack.
                                The construction of the all-in range includes pocket pairs 22-JJ. The selected pocket pairs balances strong pocket pairs (88-JJ) with weaker pocket pairs that’d prefer to realize all their equity (22-77) as opposed to playing in a challenging spot, out of position, post-flop. The top end of the unpaired value range includes AQo+, AQs+ along with strong hands with excellent blockers (A8o-AJo, ATs, KQo) that prefer to play all-in as opposed to navigating challenging post-flop situations out of position. The bluffing portion of the all in range includes hands with blockers including the off-suit wheel aces (A2o-A5o) alongside suited king blockers (K6s, K7s) that are more valuable bluffs in shorter stacks. High card blockers are more efficient bluffs at shorter stacks. The remaining bluffing portion of the range includes suited gappers (T8s, J8s) that will often not be dominated against villain’s calling range and thus have fair equity even when called.
                                The construction of my non-all-in 3 bet range is admittedly exploitable. This range is definitely more value tilted and is lacking board coverage for low cards. However, this is also designed to be easier to play, post-flop and out-of-position in a low stack-to-pot ratio (SPR) situation. The top end of this range includes QQ-AA which needs little protection at these stack depths. They serve as good trapping candidates since I would intend to check this entire range on pretty much all flops. The value hands include ace-high hands AKs and AJs. Suited connectors comprise a large portion of the range (87s, 98s, T9s, JTs) which provides board coverage on middle card flops as well as ample opportunities for flopping well allowing for aggression with semi-bluffs post-flop. Even though I am lacking board coverage on low card flops, given the construction of the range, we should flop good enough equity to still play well on low card boards. The bluff portion of the range includes J5o which is included to have low-equity bluffs for balance. Also, it is easier for me to remember J5o because this hand is called the Jackson Five and for whatever reason that sticks with me as opposed to some of the other candidates here (i.e. Q2o, J3o, J4o, T7o).
                                As previously stated, with this range, I would be checking likely 100% of flops. I would check raise all-in with both value and semi-bluffs (i.e. draws) and call off their all-ins with value hands and when pot odds dictate doing so with draws.
                                One of the weakness of my range construction, as alluded to earlier, is that my smaller 3-bet sizing is more value weighted. When facing an all 4-bet jam I would be calling off a much larger portion than is suggested in the GTO frequencies. My strategy is illustrated in Figure 2. My only fold in this range is J5o which gives a paltry 22.2% folds. That is much lower than the suggested GTO folding versus 4-bet all frequency of 58.3%. However, if the villain is shoving at the GTO frequency, then I would have 57.5% equity with my calling range (shown in Figure 3). This led me to question what effect this has on my 3-bet all in range. Overall, this makes my 3-bet all in range slightly more bluff tilted and, when Villain calls off appropriately, Villain will have 55.5% equity versus our shoving range (shown in Figure 4). Given the mixed frequencies for button’s RFI in the GTO strategies, these estimated equities are not perfectly accurate.
                                Regardless, I believe my pre-flop 20bb strategy is implementable, balanced enough and will perform well against most competent, human, opponents.

Figure 2. Strategy for BB vs. BUT 4-bet Jam All-in.

Figure 3. Equilab equities for BB calling range versus BUT 4-bet all in.

Figure 4. Equilab equities for BUT calling range versus BB 3-bet all in.

1. Suppose you call and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes 9♣-3♦-2♠ and the BTN bets 1.4bbs. What is your strategy?

Figure 5. The calling range for BB vs. BUT at 20bb effective stacks
                                Figure 5 shows our calling range entering this flop. We are out of position with a capped range against the buttons uncapped range at a significant equity disadvantage. Therefore, we cannot reasonably defend at the MDF. We will have to over-fold the flop and try to play closer to MDF on latter streets.
                                This is a challenging situation to navigate. The pot is current 5.5bb (4bb + 0.5bb + 1bb ante). The effective stacks remaining are 18bb. The stack-to-pot ratio (SPR) is ~3.3. When our opponent bets 1.4bb that is a ~25% pot bet. Our minimum defense frequency is thus 79.7% [MDF= 5.5/(5.5 + 1.4)]. Since we are out of position, we will under defend slightly since it is harder to realize equity out of position. However, given the lower SPR we will realize more equity than deeper stack play.
                                Our calling range consists of 852 combinations that goes down to 773 combinations after the flop. Therefore, the pure MDF would be 616 combinations. Since we will be under-defending this flop slightly, we ended up at a MDF 75.9% (587 combinations). We are under defending in absolute terms 3.8% with a relative error rate of -4.7% [(587-616)/616] suggesting that were are under defending 4.7% of the “pure” MDF range. Said in another way, we are defending 95.3% of the “pure” MDF range. I understand that MDF is less important on the flop and turn than it is on the river, but I am not sure by what degree we can under-defend on the flop without it being an egregious error.
                                I am a recreational player so I have not invested in any GTO solvers like PioSolver. Thus, I am unable to check my heuristics in this situation against GTO play. However, I will lay out my logic to approximate the MDF on this flop against Villains 25% pot continuation bet.
                                I first set out to purely establish my defending range. After that, I can better define the calling and raising ranges. The logical defends here include two pairs, all pairs, open ended straight draws, gut-shot straight draws, ace highs, king highs and 2 overcards to the 9-high flop. However, the logical MDF range only totals 466 combinations. The next phase of building the MDF included all backdoor flush draws on this rainbow board for an additional 54 combo. This increases the MDF combination total to 520. This is far short of the pure MDF of 616 combos. The last phase of defends includes combinations that wrap around the 9 to give back door straight and Q4o (an over-card to the 9 and back door straight draw). The added 64 combinations total 587 combos with a 75.9% defense frequency. The construction of this defense range is illustrated in Figure 6.
                                Figure 6. Construction of the flop MDF range

The Villain is described as a competent player. I interpret this in two ways. One, he plays fundamental GTO principles. Two, he is able to exploit population tendencies well. Against a competent Villain, I would expect that they would often c-bet 100% versus a check with a smaller size because it is quite challenging to defend well in this situation. As the BB, we are out of position with a dry board. The Villain has about 60% equity range advantage as well as the nut advantage. In order to even approach MDF, we have to develop and implement defends that are not intuitive. Therefore, a counter-exploit would be to check-raise far more often than GTO. Effectively, we will turn the tables on the Villain and force them to make tough defending decisions since they are betting too frequently on this board.
                                Against a Villain who is c-betting 100% of their range, I will endeavor to check-raise with a polarizing range at 30-35% frequency. Figure 7 shows my full strategy versus the 1.4bb c-bet. Since I will be doing this with a polarized range I would choose a sizing of 3-4x. We are defining our “value” check raise range a bit loosely here but that is a function of our best made hands being a few two pairs and mostly pairs on this board texture. The value range includes all the two pair combos, all pairs with ace kicker, all pairs with off suit K kicker and pairs with back door straight possibilities. We still protect our check calling range with strong top pair + strong kicker hands. Our check-raise bluffing range is comprised of low equity bluffs that wrap the 9 along with a smattering of straight draws and back door flush draws and combo backdoor straight + flush draws. These hands can easily fold to a 3-bet jam from the Villain.

Figure 7- Exploitative strategy versus Villain’s 100% c-bet frequency.
                                Conversely, if we assume Villain is playing close to GTO frequencies and range in this situation, we will have to decrease our check-raise frequency to approximately 25%. We will still use a polarized strategy with the same sizing as above, but will lessen the frequency of the overall check raising range. We will do pure value hands as well as value hands that block their continuing range (i.e. bottom and middle pair with high card or 4 to block straight draw combos). Notably, I included 54o in the check-call range to avoid being blown off my highest equity draw in range. The 54o is a potential mixed strategy candidate when my knowledge and skills become more advanced.

Figure 8- Flop strategy versus GTO opponent
                                1. Suppose you raise to 5bbs and the BTN calls. The turn comes the 6♥. What is your strategy?
                                On the turn, the pot is now 15.5bb and the effective stacks are 13bb giving a SPR 0.839. The 6h is very good for our range here. We have many more straights, two pairs and pair + straight draws compared to our opponent. This brings the equities and nut advantage closer to even. We have very little complete junk on this turn. We overtook the betting lead on flop. These factors make this is a great situation to bet with our entire range. However, the SPR being <1 does create an awkward dynamic that I am having trouble rectifying. My attempt at a solution, though, would be to use two bet sizes. One sizing would be all-in and the second sizing would be ~30% pot bet. I would, continue barreling 100% frequency on this turn because the 6h is quite advantageous for our range. The 30% pot sizing is a merged range. The all-in sizing is a polarized range. I chose the all-in range composition in order to jam my strong hands that could be counterfeited on the river. The merged range is composed of mostly hands with decent equity that I’d prefer to keep the bet size smaller. I do not want to check and face a difficult decision against a jam with my strong draws. I want to avoid being denied equity on my decent draws that would have to fold against a Villain jam.
                                For simplicity sake, I will continue this exercise against the “Exploitative” Villain who 100% c-bet the flop. Figure 9 shows our turn range. Figure 10 shows the all in turn betting strategy. Figure 11 shows the 30% pot turn bet strategy.
                                Figure 9. Turn Range

Figure 10. Turn All-in betting strategy.

Figure 11. Turn 30% Pot sized betting strategy.
                                1. Suppose you bet 3bbs and the BTN calls. The river comes the Q♥. What is your strategy?
                                On the river, the pot is 21.5bb. The remaining effective stacks are 10bb with an SPR 0.465. If we were to employ an all-in or check strategy we would ideally construct a Bluff-Value Ratio 24.1% bluffs, 75.9% value. However, this Qh is bad for our range and better for Villain’s range. Our range is not polarized here, so using an all-in strategy is not ideal. Our range is shown in Figure 12. Since our range is filled with marginal made hands and decent bluff catchers, we will check the entire range here with intents to defend at the calculated MDF 51.8%. Figure 13 shows our check-call, check-fold strategy assuming the Villain only jams here. If he bets less than all in we would adjust to defend at MDF.

Figure 12. Our range that shows up to this river.

Figure 13. Our strategy versus a river jam.

Comment

August 2021 Homework

BTN Opening Range

BB vs BTN Open

The BB will be calling around 60% of hands vs BB. This is because the BTN’s opening range is very wide. Since this 20bb effective and most likely with antes, it is important for the BB to flat and see as many pots as possible for as cheaply as possible. The BB should also have some all-ins, 3-bets and about 20% of their hands should be folded.

The flop is hits more of the BB’s calling range. The BTN will have some 9s in their range and some A3s or A2s. The BB, however, has more 9s along with all the 3s and 2s other than 33 or 22 which would have been raised preflop. The general rule to follow here will be to check to the button with the plan to either check raise or call with a lot of holdings. The BB will want to check/raise with some of their 3x holdings and better draws like 45s (diamonds clubs or spades). They may also want to mix in some draws like A4s or A5 (diamonds, clubs or spades). BB should go all-in with most 9x hands except for maybe like 94. This is because top pair has more equity short-stacked. Flats would probably include hands with back doors, a variety of 2x hands.

BB 3-Bet Range

BTN 3-Bet Calling Range

The 6h represents another card that is better for the BB preflop calling range and also completes some of the draws for the BB with check/raise on the flop. The BB should continue with another barrel with most of their range. A bluff shove could get some over paired hands to fold and maybe some weaker 9s.
                                  The pot at this point is 15bb and the BB has 13BB remaining so a small bet should keep over pairs and 9x in while building a pot with nuts. It also sets up about a half pot shove on the river.
                                  A small bet might get some hands to fold like weak 3s and 2s that could be beating the BB draws.

BTN small turn bet calling range

The Qh represents a small portion of the BTN’s turn calling range. Since the BB should be continuing with all of its range on the turn a all-in shove will be profitable 60% (range vs range) of the time and only needs to be profitable ~33 of the time since it’s a roughly half pot bet.
                                  Board: 6c3d2s6hQh
                                  Equity Win Tie
                                  BU 39.59% 38.87% 0.72% { QQ-TT, 66, A9s, A3s, K9s, Q9s, J9s, T9s, 98s, 96s, 87s, ATo, A3o, KTo, QTo, JTo, 98o }
                                  BB 60.41% 59.69% 0.72% { A5s-A2s, K3s, Q3s, J9

Comment

Preflop - I wasn’t too sure since there was no mention of what the small blind did preflop (without looking forward to the next part of the question).

Flop - Since I called, that removes all of the hands that we would have 3-bet with pre-flop on this board. I found that a lot of these hands could be a draw with 2-outers to come. Because we are 20BB effective against a competent opponent, I decided to toss a lot of in between and 2 outers into the junk.

I had too much junk, so I kept some high card hands and hands that were closer to making a straight, in order to balance out to the 70:30 ratio.

Turn - I decided on the straight and trips as premium. 2 pair as marginal. I found it was a little harder to get the ratios closer to 2:1 and 70:30.

River - Going all in with 54, 33s and 22s. Check my missed draws.

Disclaimer - this is my first homework submission. I tried to complete it as if I did not know what streets were coming next. And I have been subscribed to PokerCoaching for 3-4 weeks. So I probably didn’t do the preflop ranges correctly.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (10).png Views:	0 Size:	100.8 KB ID:	51158

I have a huge amount of junk here, to balance my range slightly i would count my Ace high hands as marginal on this board.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (11).png Views:	0 Size:	113.6 KB ID:	51159

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (14).png Views:	0 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	51162

Assuming no antes, there is 20.5BB in the Pot with 10bb left behind, Assuming me being the player at risk and not taking any payout implications into account.
                                      I am not overly confident with any of our range her as BTN has all the same two pair as us, he has all the sets and we have none. He doesn't have the offsuit straight here but over i think he his way ahead of our range. Begrudgingly this is now I would play the river.
                                      ALL IN with my premium made hands, 2 pars or straights. If he has a set or higher two pair this is just bad luck for me. Thought about the A5 missed draw as a bluff but I prefer to check this.
                                      Marginal made hands i CHECK FOLD as I think i can still come back with 10bb in this tournament and if BTN bets these hands do not hold up well against his range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (15).png Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	51163
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Spukey; 08-08-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                        X