This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 2021 Homework Question

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 40bb stack, you are UTG+1 and action folds to you. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes J
    -9-4. What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The turn comes the 2
    . What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet 14bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the T
    . What is your strategy?

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 40bb stack, you are UTG+1 and action folds to you. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes J♠-9♦-4♦. What is your strategy?

We have a lot of strong hands here and very little junk. We're going to bet everything.

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The turn comes the 2♠. What is your strategy?

The combination of the brick turn and the wide BB range makes this a solid spot to bet large with a polarized range. I probably have slightly more bluffs than I should here but I'm doing it as a bit of an exploit.

Suppose you bet 14bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the T♠. What is your strategy?

On the river we have 19.8BB left to bet into 41.9BB, giving the opponent roughly 3:1 on a call. If I jam my overpairs and better alongside my missed diamond draws and my KT/QT combos (because they both have straight blockers), I'll have a polarized range that's 50:15 value to bluff.
    Last edited by McLovin; 04-24-2021, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• Scotty
      Scotty commented
      Editing a comment
      Minor correction: T8s is MM on river, not JNK. It's certainly weak MM, but it is MM.

Preflop
    click image for larger version  name:	pre.png views:	0 size:	85.1 kb id:	48576

Flop: From the 40bb GTO chart, about 40% of the BB's combos would call a 2/3 pot range bet.
    The BB's continuing range would be: top/second pairs and better; and 12-out and 15-out combos drawing to over pairs or better.

A 25% range bet would not have put more money in the pot. So the 2/3 pot range bet sounds reasonable.

However, a polarized betting range is used here for comparison purposes.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	flop 0 0 0 27.png Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	49117

Many draws are weak, and the UTG1 picks fewer draws.

Turn
    Click image for larger version  Name:	turn 0 0 0 0.png Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	49118
    The bet size is big since the BB has something, and also since the UTG1's range is quite polarized.

River: Bet range.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	rvr 0 0 0 0.png Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	49119
    SPR,< 1. Bets are all-in. The opponent will likely fold.
    Last edited by edy; Today, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	May2021PF (2).jpg Views:	30 Size:	158.2 KB ID:	48484

Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes J-9-4. What is your strategy?

I wanted to bet my entire range here but I don't think we get to bet our entire range with a 67% pot bet sizing?

So I'm mixing some hands that will bet call and bet fold to a xr.

OOP doesn't do much xr vs a larger bet size.

I actually think the solver is going to split this range quite a bit between small sizing and large sizing with maybe 10 - 15% checks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	May2021Flop1 (2).jpg Views:	282 Size:	184.5 KB ID:	48563

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The turn comes the 2. What is your strategy?

I have a weak checking range here but I think my range wants to mostly keep betting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	May2021Turn.jpg Views:	289 Size:	184.1 KB ID:	48564

Suppose you bet 14bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the T. What is your strategy?

All in

Click image for larger version

Name:	May HW River (2).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	49056

Last edited by kkep; Yesterday, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes J♠-9♦-4♦. What is your strategy?

• We have a substantial range advantage here so I thought bet range, but as someone else pointed out we bet large so it seems we should be polarized, and we've seen in the past the solver will sometimes opt to go large and polarized even with large range advantage to generate the most value from our nuts. Will run again polarized.

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The turn comes the 2♠. What is your strategy?

• Pretty straightforward, betting TPTK+ for value, our worst underpairs, wheel draws, some gutshots that unblock diamonds, and some diamond and straight draws s bluffs, some of those bluffs also spade draws.

Suppose you bet 14bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the T♠. What is your strategy?

• Overpair with a spade and better bet for value, bluffs block spades and 87​​

Polarized Flop

• TPTK+ for value, checking hc combos of over pairs and some flush draws to bolster checking range and give us coverage on rivers
        • Missed diamond draws also included in bluffs
        Last edited by Dilly; 04-27-2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• kkep
          kkep commented
          Editing a comment
          Something that I've recently picked up on is that we don't typically bluff bricked front door flush draws.

• Dilly
          Dilly commented
          Editing a comment
          kkep good point, I assume because we block their auto-fold range. Probably worth going through and figuring out what flush draws Villain is most likely to have, see which busted FDs block their auto-fold range the most

Standard 40BB open raise chart

Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up.The flop comes J♠-9♦-4♦. What is your strategy?

It is a very wet board with a lot of draws and also interacts very well with the BB range. However we do have a very strong range advantage and a reasonable nut advantage as well. So we get to range bet this board and since the board interacts pretty well with the BB range we can also use a pretty large size(4bb into 4.9bb pot.. 5.9 if there is an ante)

The blank turn actually helps the BB since we range bet the turn. So we need to polarize on the turn making sure we have some top pair hands in our checking range.

Since we bet large on the flop and turn we will be checking back the river a lot on this very connected river card. We are really only betting sets or better. We have a half pot bet left behind and we have close to the ideal 1:3 ratio of bluffs to premium hands when we bet.
        Last edited by Akhilnair25; 05-07-2021, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Preflop:

Flop: This is wrong image obv, will fix soon

Turn:

Breaking this down does not work well so Im actually betting everything I C-Bet with.
          This board is good for my range the turn does not connect well with the BB after calling flop.

River:

Betting Top top and better, although I could see AJ being a check back as its getting harder to find worse hands that will call, That being said it is only a 1/2 bet...
          Also I added the Ax to junk, but realize sometimes they will win at showdown once in a while. For bluffs...
          Last edited by trent walker; 04-29-2021, 02:17 PM. Reason: such a fish

Comment

Benno

Preflop:

Opening with the K7s and K6s,44 is a bit loose.depends on the player behind me. Think it could be a reasonable option

Flop:

Putting my top set into the checking range to protect and strenghtens my checking range. I could also bet it.
            I could consider checking my JTs. Think it could be reasonable.

Turn:

I could also putting again my top set into my checking range. But after he calls my bet I assume he has something that he will continue with. And now is the time to build a pot with my strong hands. It may also a good option to just check QJs,JTs.

River:

Last edited by Gambit; 05-01-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Scotty
              Scotty commented
              Editing a comment
              On the river you can't get check-raised. We started with 40bb. Our river bet is going to be a 1/2-pot shove.

• Gambit
              Gambit commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks a lot Scotty,.... I also change some errors I made on my homework. :-)

Originally posted by the10kclub View Post
            Preflop

Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes J-9-4. What is your strategy?
            C-bet strategy - I have a strong range advantage on this board and I am in position. So I think this is a range bet.

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The turn comes the 2. What is your strategy?
            Turn - Since I am polarizing my strategy, I was unsure which premium hands I should keep in my marginal range to protect my checking range. I picked AA and 2p hands.

Suppose you bet 14bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the T. What is your strategy?
            River

Last edited by jjpregler; 05-08-2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Larry H; 05-01-2021, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• kkep
                kkep commented
                Editing a comment
                I think you are to value heavy on the river. Maybe check AA KK 87s and or some of the AJ combos which will balance your value to bluffs a bit better. BTW I'm not sure where you're 18 bluffs are coming from? I count 14, the 55 and bricked diamond draws?
                Also you can't have As2s and we don't typically bluff bricked front door flush draws I don't think.

• Scotty
                Scotty commented
                Editing a comment
                kkep, Really check 87s on the river? Shouldn't we check 99(set) before 87(straight)? 87 not only beats 99, it also blocks less of V's calling range. And do we think V is checking (trapping) with any flushes or better straights than 87 on the river with only a 1/2 pot bet left?

• kkep
                kkep commented
                Editing a comment
                Scotty I was just suggesting the value to bluff range was to value heavy but I now I actually think he nailed the ratio.
                I believe bricked front door flush draws don't get bluffed that often. We're kind of blocking a portion of the V's folding range so we might want to be checking back more 1 pair combos and giving up with some of those bricked FDFD bluffs.

Tournament 40BB UTG+1 RFI.

Preflop 2.2bb RFI.

BB Calls the flop comes JS 9d 4d

With a fairly large Range Advantage on this board texture we are betting
              our entire Range.

Flop

We bet 4BBs, BB Calls the Turn is a 2s.

Last edited by st3vemac; 05-07-2021, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Bentley; 04-23-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• jjpregler
                  jjpregler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think the Range Analyzer keeps a proper count of the hands in range when you do not use commas in the dead cards entry.

• kkep
                  kkep commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jjpregler that is so tilting! I've been doing these for over two years and had no clue about the comas. I have wasted so much dam time, likely many hours in total trying to figure out why ranges often to add to up 100%

Hi I'm new. I'm a non-professional and this is my first pokercoaching homework. Feedback is appreciated, but hopefully not overly technical. If you comment on my hw, I will try to comment on yours (if you want).

Preflop: Feedback appreciated on my planned responses to a 3-bet (for a normal 3 bet, not a shove)

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	48538
                Flop

Name:	
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	48539
                Turn

Name:	
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	48540
                River: Bluffing with KQo with Ks. Bluffing some missed diamond draws that lack showdown value. Since this is for my tournament life and straights and flushes got there, I am playing my sets conservatively.

Name:	
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	48541
                Last edited by ThePhilosopher; 04-23-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• jjpregler
                  jjpregler commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In your preflop range, it is generally fine to just use 1 color for your entire RFI range. Also, you should use the 4 color system Red/Premium; Blue/Draws; Green/Marginal; and Black/Junk on all post flop streets. Jonathan likes to see that when he reviews the answers.

If you do not have all 4 and only those 4 he is unlikely to pick your answer for review in the webinar. Even if you show that category in the range, even with 0 hands added will be better than chopping off the category completely.
                  Last edited by jjpregler; 04-26-2021, 07:41 AM.

• Scotty
                  Scotty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ThePhilosopher,

On the FLOP: You can bluff more. 2:1 Bluff:Value would be ideal here. You're betting 65 combos for value. That means you can bluff up to 130 combos of draw. Consider bluffing your your backdoor spade draws in addition to your diamond draws.

On the TURN: Consider continuing to bluff with your 6d7d (and 6s7s if you made the adjustment above). On the turn, 1:1 Bluff:Value is ideal. You're betting 53 combos for value, so you can easily add the 6d7d,6s7s to your current 45 bluffs.

On the RIVER: You might be over-bluffing here. If you're only going to bet 11 combos for value, and you can only bet 1/2 pot, 1:2 Bluff:Value should be your max, and even that might be optimistic.

Possible fixes: Bet your sets instead of checking them. This isn't crazy. After all, is V often checking behind with a straight with only a 1/2-pot bet left?

Side note: Your actions say RAISE when they should say BET.

Those are my comments on yours. I'm looking forward to your comments on mine.

• kkep
                  kkep commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your flop checking range is to weak.
                  You don't have AKo AQo on the turn
                  You don't have the TsX on the river but the range analyzer catches that and it looks like you have some straights as river bluffs KQo

Comment

Comment

• jjpregler
                    jjpregler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jonathan is looking for answers that use the 4 categories of Premium made hands, Draws, Marginal made hands, and junk. In this question you can automatically pull them up by clicking the postflop aggressor option.

Watch this video for instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAd4...e=emb_imp_woyt

Then watch a couple of the past homework webinars to see how Jonathan answers the questions to get an idea of what he is looking for.

Comment

Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes J♠-9♦-4♦. What is your strategy? due to range and nut advantage I'm betting my entire range.

Last edited by Billy poker; 04-28-2021, 02:36 PM.

Comment

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 40bb stack, you are Utg+1 and action folds to you. What is your strategy? As I’m in early position, I can’t raise too wide, I don’t raise the lower pairs, or lower unsuited Aces.

My 40bb opening raising range.

Name:	Utg+1 40bb RFI range.png
Views:	375
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	48722

Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes Js,9d,4d. What is your strategy? He is competent, so will call pre-flop very wide with a capped range. No AA-JJ or AK, possibly no AQ. He will bluff some and call all suiteds and most unsuited (except the worse). We are in position, so I have to assume he’s checked to me. I have positional and nut advantage. However, he has a significant range advantage: he has 19 x J’s; I have 8; he has 19 x 9s, I have 7; he has 15 x 4s, I have 1. I will C-Bet often with a small bet size. I have balanced my betting and checking ranges. When I bet, there is 3.7bbs in the pot. He has to call 1.2bb to win 4.9. He gets 4:1 on the call and needs about 20% equity to continue. Pot size is 4.9bbs. His MDF 1-2.2(1 + 1.2 + 0.5) = He needs to defend 19% of the time.

My flop strategy

Name:	Utg+1 Flop Strategy.png
Views:	357
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	48723

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The turn comes 2s. What is your strategy? Again, he will have checked to me. I still have positional and nut advantage. I keep betting (for protection) as there are str88 and flush draws out there. The 2 doesn’t change much (poss’ wheeldraw) but the spade brings a possible 2nd flush. I can also rep the flush on the river, if it completes. I have balanced my betting and checking ranges. By the turn, the pot is 12.9bbs. When I bet the flop, he had to call 4bb to win 12.9. He gets about 3:1 on the call and needs about 23% equity to continue. His MDF 1-4(4 + 4.9) = He needed to defend 56% of the time. He’s competent, so could be floating 2 x streets. He has still never shown aggression, or even interest in the hand.

My turn strategy.

Name:	Utg+1 turn strategy 2.png
Views:	358
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	48724

Suppose you bet 14bbs and the BB calls. The river comes Ts. What is your strategy? Again, he will have checked first, so has shown no aggression throughout the hand. He appears to have marginals, or can be floating/drawing. The river makes the board extremely slippery, with straights and spade flushes possible. It’s a board I check back some on but I continue to bet with a few value hands and bluffs. On the turn, the pot was 12.9bbs. He checked and I bet 14bbs. He had to call 14 to win 26.9bbs. He got 1.92:1 to call and needed 34% equity to call. The ranges will be closer and all his junk will be ditched. I have appeared strong throughout and keep betting. His MDF on the turn was. 1-14(14+12.9). He needed 48% equity to continue. The pot by the river is 40.9bbs. He has just under 20bbs left (half pot). He wouldn’t call a full pot bet with a gutshot, so I don’t think he has a str88. He might not have called a full pot bet on the flop with a back-door spade draw. He may call as he is pot committed. I continue an aggressive line with a triple barrel, with value hands and bluffs as my range is pretty strong. I have checked some top hands which can win at SD. Think I should also bet my overpairs, for value here as well.

My river strategy.

Name:	Utg+1 River strategy 2.png
Views:	365
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	48725

Comment

All of my ranges assume that the BB checks each street, because it appears that the questions assume that, without explicitly saying so.

Pot = 5.9BB + 8BB = 13.9BB. Effective Stack = 40BB – (BB’s 1 + 6.2 = 7.2) = 32.8 held by the BB. SPR = about 2.5/1. If I bet 8BB on turn, then effective stack is 24BB, which can be shoved into pot of 30BB.

Pot = 13.9 + 28 = 41.9BB. Effec. Stack = 18.8 BB. Less than 2.5:1 SPR.

Given that I bet big on the turn, BB should have a strong river range. I’m checking JJ and 99 to strengthen my river checking range, and for balance.

Last edited by GinDC; Yesterday, 05:55 PM. Reason: Fixing my flop range in light of J Pregler's helpful comment

Comment

• jjpregler
                          jjpregler commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Gin it does not look your charts are complete. On all streets you should have the 4 categories that Jonathan looks for, Premium, Draws, Marginal, and Junk. Even of junk is 0 it should be in there. However, on the flop you should have some junk in your range. You have some hands suit selected and I assume the unselected suits are in junk. You can manually enter the number of hands into the junk count.
                          Last edited by jjpregler; 04-28-2021, 03:46 PM.

• GinDC
                          GinDC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          OK, I see your point. I'll try to redo these ranges.

• GinDC
                          GinDC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I redid my ranges. Thanks again JPregler!

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis.png Views:	1 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	48909

Pot = 5.9
                        We have a big range advantage, ≈60:40. We have the nut advantage (We have all sets, AA, KK, & QQ. BB calling range probably doesn't have top set, AA, KK, or QQ). This board connects well w/ BB PF calling range. Therefore: Don't bet range. Do bet frequently. Do bet large.

Natural breakdown:
                        44+, A2s+, K6s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, 98s, 87s, ATo+, KTo+, QJo; Group 1 [DRW]: (AsQs+, AsTs, As8s-As5s, As3s-As2s, AdQd+, AdTd, Ad8d-Ad5d, Ad3d-Ad2d, KQs, KTs, Ks8s-Ks6s, Kd8d-Kd6d, QTs, Q8s, T8s, 87s, KQo, KTo); Group 2 [MM]: (TT, 88-55, A9s, A4s, AhQh+, AcQc+, K9s, QJs, Q9s, JTs, J8s, T9s, 98s, AQo+, QJo); Group 3 [PM]: (JJ+, 99, 44, AJs, KJs, J9s, AJo, KJo); Group 5 [JNK]: (AhTh, Ah8h-Ah5h, Ah3h-Ah2h, AcTc, Ac8c-Ac5c, Ac3c-Ac2c, Kh8h-Kh6h, Kc8c-Kc6c, ATo)

Problems with natural breakdown: DRW:PM is too low (72:53).
                        Fix: Move least vulnerable PM (top set) to MM to strengthen x-range; Move BDSD+OC (AT) & 3rdPair+OC (A4) to DRW.
                        We're still not up to 2:1, but I think this under-bluffing is better than moving AA, 99, or 44 to MM or moving 55 or 66 to DRW.

Adjusted breakdown:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis-2.png Views:	1 Size:	148.9 KB ID:	48910

Pot = 13.9

Natural breakdown:
                        QQ+, 99, 44, AJs-ATs, A4s, AsQs+, As8s-As5s, As3s-As2s, AdQd+, Ad8d-Ad5d, Ad3d-Ad2d, KTs+, Ks8s-Ks6s, Kd8d-Kd6d, QTs, Q8s, J9s, T8s, 87s, AJo-ATo, KTo+; Group 1 [DRW]: (AsQs+, AsTs, As8s-As5s, As3s, AdQd+, AdTd, Ad8d-Ad5d, Ad3d, KQs, KTs, Ks8s-Ks6s, Kd8d-Kd6d, QTs, Q8s, T8s, 87s, KQo, KTo); Group 2 [MM]: (A4s, As2s, AhTh, AcTc, Ad2d, ATo); Group 3 [PM]: (QQ+, 99, 44, AJs, KJs, J9s, AJo, KJo)

Problems with natural breakdown: DRW:PM is too high, 70:50
                        Fix: Check some DRWs. I'm choosing to check these 20 combos: {KQo, KhQh, KcQc, KhTh, KcTc, Qh8h, Qc8c, 8h7h, 8c7c}. There might be better choices, but I don't know which those would be or why.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis-3.png Views:	1 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	48911

Pot = 41.9
                        Remaining Stack = 20

Shove all bets:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis-4.png Views:	1 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	48912

Problems with above range:

Problem 1: We're under-bluffing. This seems okay because after calling our pot-sized turn bet, V's likely bluff catchers are Jx, Tx (From her SDs on turn), and 9x. Will she fold Tx or 9x to a 1/2-pot river-shove? If not, maybe we need to bluff even less?

Possible fixes:
                        We could have bet more MM and DRW on the turn so we had more DRW to bluff on river. That fix seems worse than the problem.
                        We could check KJ or even AJ. That seems too nitty at this stack depth.

Problem 2: When V has a busted DRW (which she elected not to bluff), some of our BLFs (AK, AQ and maybe A3-A8) beat her anyway, so why bluff if she won't fold her Jx, Tx, or 9x when she has those?

Possible fix: We could check behind with AK&AQ but that makes problem 1 worse.

I'm going to commit to the current problems with this range rather than introduce these new problems by trying to fix it.
                        Last edited by Scotty; 05-03-2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Scotty
                          Scotty commented
                          Editing a comment
                          JJPregler, can you now see the images?

• ThePhilosopher
                          ThePhilosopher commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey Scotty thanks for commenting on my first hw submission. I have a question for me and thought for you. 1) Is it standard to label river bluffs as "draws"? 2) In favor of nitting it up, since this is a tournament not cash, and your opponent already called two barrels, might you want to underbluff the river? Is worse than KJ calling a shove here? I think if KJ gets called you are out of the tournament. Worse than KJ will usually fold to a shove (?). Hence, using KJ as a bluff seems to be counterproductive, and it isn't the a great candidate to bet for value. I realize that in short stack play top pair 2nd kicker is typically good enough to get it in, but you've already been called on two streets, so KJ is pretty marginal imo. I'd be happy to win the already sizeable pot without risking busting on a marginal hand.

• Scotty
                          Scotty commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ThePhilosopher. You're welcome, and thanks for commenting on mine. Here's some answers. They may not be right, but they are answers.

1) No. I should have kept the blue color but labeled them "Bluff." I also should have been clearer and stated the action as "shove" rather than "bet."

2a) Nitting up a bit and under-bluffing the river might be the better option here, especially if I'm the one who'd be all in. (The question states that we started with 40bb effective stacks, but it doesn't state who's got 40bb stack or what the larger stack is. If I started the hand with 100bb vs V's 40, maybe I could even over-bluff?!?

2b) With only a half-pot shove on the river, I'm thinking KJ and QJ would both call. The question for me about whether to bet KJ for value on the river is: how likely is V to just check-call AJ (or better) on the flop and turn? I'd certainly check-raise all-in on the flop or turn if I was in V's seat with AJ. Also, how likely is V to check 2-pair or better on the river with only a half-pot bet left? The more likely she is to trap (or nit-up) with these hands, the less often I should bet ANY of my one-pair hands. My thinking is that on this river, AA-KJ are all the same hand. I should either check 'em all or bet 'em all. I could be wrong. Maybe AJ and KJ aren't the same hand on this river after V has called on two streets, as you suggested, but my analysis (flawed as it may be) convinces me (for now) that they are.

Comment

• jjpregler
                          jjpregler commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You have no junk on the flop, but you have suit selected hands hands. This would indicate that you did not do the range accurate. In the instruction video for the Range Analyzer, Jonathan explains how to address those junk hands in the analyzer.

What Jonathan finds important, is not just the hands you choose to bet, but the balance of the numbers in categories.

• kkep
                          kkep commented
                          Editing a comment
                          jjpregler I think he moved them to MM?

I assume the BB checks to me.

Comment

This is my first homework
                          More information concerning the tournament would have been helpful such as
                          1. What the buy was in; is it a $10 online or a $500 live?
                          2. How many opponents 200 or 20,000?
                          3. How close is the bubble?
                          4. How many times have the opponent and I been in hands together?
                          5. If this is online what are the opponent's HUD stats

My answers will be based on the assumption that this is a $30 online tournament with 1721 opponents remaining out of a field of 551 the bubble is at 100 players.

I would fold everything but 17% of my range

Flop hit my set Jacks, nines, and fours and bet the two pair combo's bet; again assuming that the nine and four are not the also spaids. If Jack Nine and four are spaids call

the turn fold

The river already folded to spaids

Comment

• jjpregler
                            jjpregler commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Zman - welcome to Pokercoaching.com.

When you are completing your homework, use the range analyzer to show every action. Jonathan wants us to split every hand in our range into 1 of 4 categories post flop: Premium made hands, draws, marginal made hands, and junk. So your completed homework should have a range analyzer image for the flop, turn and river as well.

In these hands, unless Jonathan mentions it it is assumed that there is no ICM pressure in the tournament hands. It is also assumed that it is a full table of 9 players and when he says "competent" player it is assumed that this player is playing close to GTO strategies.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HW 5-2012 1.png Views:	0 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	48927

Pot = 5.9bb
                          Stack = 37.8bb
                          SPR = 17.18:1

We have a large range advantage over the BB. We also have a ton of value hands. We are betting the entire range.

Pot = 13.9bb
                          Stack = 33.8bb
                          SPR = 2.43:1

Click image for larger version  Name:	HW 5-2021 2.png Views:	0 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	48928

Pot = 41.9bb
                          Stack = 19.8bb
                          SPR = 0.47:1

An overabundance of value hands. A low SPR<1...
                          We are jamming everything. Should have jammed the Turn!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HW 5-2021 3.png Views:	0 Size:	149.1 KB ID:	48929
                          Last edited by vic.cruzr; 05-03-2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Here is my raising range:

after the flop:

Name:	R03-014277.png
Views:	55
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	48937
                            Turn:

Name:	R03-084000.png
Views:	57
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	48938
                            river:betting all of our flushes 2 pair & trips

Name:	R03-030613.png
Views:	56
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	48939

Comment

• jjpregler
                              jjpregler commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Your post flop images should contain the 4 categories that Jonathan teaches us to place every hand in. They are Premium made, draws, marginal made, and junk. Please see other homeworks above as an example.

• daobill
                              daobill commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It seems like you are not removing the hands from your range that you have checked on previous streets.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (PF).png
Views:	49
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	48961
                            Using the UTG+1 RFI 40bb GTO chart, I would be using this strategy. I combined some percentages for specific hands.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (F).png
Views:	52
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	48962

I believe we are supposed to range bet on these J-high boards. We have so many strong holdings and the BB doesn’t. However, I don’t mind checking some hands to protect my checking range. I debated checking top set, but, sub 40 bbs, I elected to continue. I don’t typically bet the weaker flush draws when we are shallower because I don’t want to get c/r and have to fold out equity. However, I think that since we have so many strong holdings, we should bet everything.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (T).png
Views:	51
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	48963

This turn shouldn’t change much with the hand, but, I am giving up some bluffs now so I do not go to the river with too many bluffs.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (R).png
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	48964

I think we are supposed to check some strong hands and nutted hands. I checked some straights and some flushes with the intention to check/call. I am check/folding roughly 50% and check/calling roughly 50%. I am continuing with all my missed draws since I have so many premium holdings with this river.

Comment

This is my first homework posting.

My UTG+1 RFI range at 40bb: (I do not have an UTG+1 limp strategy at 40bb)

Name:	May 2021 preflop.png
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	48992

On this board, have a slight range advantage (60%) vs BB call range , and a slight nut advantage, as we both have all the sets, but only I have all the pocket QQ,KK, and AA, and he might be 3-betting some of his pocket JJ preflop. I should be betting this board frequently and since I chose a larger size (almost pot), I am slightly polarizing my range c-betting at a slightly lower percent with my strongest value hands and bluffs.

Name:	May 2021 postflop.png
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	48993

This turn does not improve any of my opponents draws, although it does bring in a backdoor flush. I would be barreling this turn most of the time. However, since I have chosen to overbet the pot ($14 into a $13.40 pot), I would be polarizing my range, betting again with my strongest value hands and highest equity bluffs.

Name:	May 2021 turn.png
Views:	50
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	48994

I only have a half pot sized bet on this river, giving me little fold equity. This also means that my opponent will have to call quite wide given the pot odds. So I will be betting all my nut flushes and straights and my bluffs will contain hands with blockers to the nuts but without blockers to the missed nut flush draw, including some over-pairs w/nut blockers so that when the opponent does call with top pair type hands (as he should), I still win.

Name:	May 2021 river.png
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	48995

Comment

• daobill
                                daobill commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I have been thinking about this the last couple days and have gone back and forth about "bluffing" the overpairs with nut blockers. I am "bluff" heavy for my bet sizing, but I think i might be sacrificing more value by not betting these combos. I would appreciate any insight anyone has on this strategy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5-21 pre.PNG Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	49012

Pot 5.9bb, BB s/h wide calling range say 30%-no prem, we have 58% rng adv and nut adv & pos, assume BB cked I would range bet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5-21 flop.PNG Views:	0 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	49013

Pot 13.9bb, bet 2/3's pot w/ rng. will fold out lot of BB's junk & only calls with pairs above bottom pair and better, we no longer have rng adv. and BB has more hands that connect

Name:	5-21 trn.PNG
Views:	12
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	49034

Pot 41.9bb, we have a very strong range

Name:	5-21 rvr.PNG
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	49035
                              Last edited by slacker; 05-08-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 40bb stack, you are UTG+1 and action folds to you. What is your strategy? Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes J♠-9♦-4♦. What is your strategy? Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The turn comes the 2♠. What is your strategy? Suppose you bet 14bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the T♠. What is your strategy?

Comment

Name:	May 2021 HW Preflop Action  40bb.png
Views:	13
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	49061 Click image for larger version

Name:	May 2021 HW Flop Action  40bb.png
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	49062 Click image for larger version

Name:	May 2021 HW Turn Action  40bb.png
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	49063 Click image for larger version

Name:	May 2021 HW River Action  40bb.png
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	49064

Comment

My first homework so apologies if I have done it wrong.
                                    I was thinking here about adding a limping range from 22-55. Was also thinking about limping with AA and KK in early position, hoping for a raise. However with little information on my opponents I decide not to have a limping range here as I am unsure if I will get the required action from later positions. If I had information like the button often raises limped pots, or if EP limps everyone limps I might include a limping range. As I don’t have this information at this point. I only have an opening range.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (12).png
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	49102

Suppose you raise to 2.2bbs, the BB calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes J♠-9♦-4♦. What is your strategy? Assuming BB checked to me.
                                    I have marked my Premium Hands, Draws, Marginal Hands and Junk. However I think on this board I would bet with almost all of my range here. The BB has so much junk in their range, and I think I have about 65% equity. I don’t think I have the a nut advantage as BB will have all sets, more 2 pairs. Even my junk like AKo and AQo has some equity. My non diamonds suited hands still have backdoor straights and over cards. Is there a case to slow play my monster hands like sets of JJ and 99, hoping BB will catch something? Or is this inviting trouble from straight and flush draws?
                                    If BB checks I bet everything small.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (13).png
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	49103

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The turn comes the 2♠. What is your strategy? Assuming BB checked to me.
                                    2s is a brick, BB folded out almost all of his duces after the flop. It does allow him slightly more flush draws and small straight draws.
                                    I would have the same range as previous but would check my marginal made and junk and raise my draws and premium hands this time due to the BB calling the previous street.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (14).png
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	49104

Suppose you bet 14bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the T♠. What is your strategy? Assuming BB checked to me.
                                    I have a really strong range here. I think the BB still has a huge number of marginal made hands like J8, J7, J6. They also have a lot of busted Diamond draws. They do have more made straights and two pair combination than us. However overall we are good most of the time with this range.
                                    I would bet 16bb for value with everything other than my busted diamond draw. I think we can get a call out of any top pair. If BB raises large I think we need to fold our single pairs including AA (is this too tight?). I just don’t think he bets here unless he has a set or better. We call with our sets and re-raise with our flushes. We also call with AA and AJo where we have the A of spades blocker.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (16).png
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	49105
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Hey guys! This is my first time, so please be gentle (haha). Not sure if I used the Adjust column properly.

Comment

Working...
                                      X