January 2021 Homework Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 2021 Homework Question

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are on the BTN and action folds to you. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 2bb and the big blind calls, the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A
    -8-2. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet 3.5bbs and the opponent calls. The turn comes the 6
    and the BB checks. What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7
    . The BB checks. What is your strategy?
    Last edited by kkep; 12-20-2020, 03:41 PM.

Preflop: Made my own implement of the GTO 20bb

Flop: I will be betting range on the flop, although I think I would choose a bet closer to 2bb...

Turn:

I had a hard time balancing my range on the turn with marginal to junk, maybe I need to rethink betting range?

So its rough, but I have all my K hi as marginal and Im slow playing AA/A8s...

I really didnt want to add any more bluffs either as I may allready have a bit too many for a short stack.

River:

Betting 2 pair + for value. Betting no/low showdown hands with blockers for bluffs.
    Last edited by trent walker; 12-18-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

PREFLOP

Click image for larger version  Name:	pre.png Views:	0 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	45042
      FLOP
      Click image for larger version  Name:	flop.png Views:	0 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	45124

The bet sizing suggests a polarized betting range. The Button is going for max value.

TURN

Click image for larger version  Name:	turn 0 -11 11 24.png Views:	0 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	45302
      Most flush draws are classified as made hands to avoid getting jammed. This also adds flush draws to the checking range.

RIVER
      Click image for larger version  Name:	rvr.png Views:	0 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	45315
      The betting range has been reduced from 81 combos on the turn to 36 combos on the river. Further reduction may be excessive when the BB has checked all streets.
      Last edited by edy; 01-10-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Benno

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are on the BTN and action folds to you. What is your strategy?

Suppose the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A♦-8♣-2♠. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet 3.5bbs and the opponent calls. The turn comes the 6♦ and the BB checks. What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7♠. The BB checks. What is your strategy?

I could use the GTO range where I would go all in with A2s-A4s, JTs, A8,A7 and 22,33,44. I think it may a good option,... but I choose to just bet 2 BB with this range above

Suppose the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A♦-8♣-2♠. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

I have the range advantage and I could bet with everything. But it depends on the opponent. When he calls me or even check/raise me I am in bad shape with good resonalble hands that I don't wanna fold
        Because of my range addvantage, In this case I should check some of my good hands like KK,QQ,JJ.... but in this case I bet everything

I so bet with everthing

Suppose you bet 3.5bbs and the opponent calls. The turn comes the 6♦ and the BB checks. What is your strategy?

(3,5 seems a bit high with just 20BB, normaly it would be 2 BB?!)

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7♠. The BB checks. What is your strategy?

Because I have so many strong hands I could bluff with some busted draws.
        Last edited by Gambit; 01-11-2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

We have a huge range advantage on this board, bet range small.

• Our range advantage has diminished, assuming Villain calls with all pairs, straight draws, and BDFDs, no raising range since they were at huge disadvantage, we have a 53% Eq, 6 doesn't smash our range, I like betting polarized here.
          • Value - All of our good TP and better dominates Villain's range.
          • Bluffs - I got creative
            • Villain's range that continues against a turn bet is basically weak AX, 8X, 6X, and diamond draws.
            • KQo and QJo w/o diamonds unblock the diamond draws, have decentish Eq against 8X 6X and low diamond draws.
            • Gutshots have outs to the nuts and block the 8x and 6X.
            • 6x has outs to the effective nuts and block 6X.
            • Some diamond draws so we have nuts when it comes in.
            • 55 blocks 65, wants to fold 6X and 8x ,cleans up equity against over cards, gets value from diamond draws.

• We're betting ~10BB into a pot that will be ~41.5BB, Villain needs to be good ~24% of the time, we can have ~24% bluffs, here's where I'm unsure
          • At these depths, our strong top pair should intuitively be good enough to get it in here, but that 7 seems better for villain's range, even our sets are going to lose someeee times to a straight, but I guess not that often. If our value range is more aggressive we might do something like below?

All additional bluffs block sets and/or straights.
          Last edited by Dilly; 12-18-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Dilly
            Dilly commented
            Editing a comment
            Definitely worth considering, kind of a down the road thought process for me but sans a randomizer it is interesting to think about how we take solver knowledge and create implementable strategies, outside of when the coaches do it for us lol

• trent walker
            trent walker commented
            Editing a comment
            I also choose JTs lol. I like it,
            I think it can get some dominated hands to fold whereas KQ will not.

• Dilly
            Dilly commented
            Editing a comment
            Also a good point

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-01-A.png Views:	12 Size:	87.6 KB ID:	45267
          Starting with the GTO charts that I did a bit of work on to make them implementable.

Suppose you raise to 2bb and the big blind calls, the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A♦-8♣-2♠. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?
          Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-01-B.png Views:	12 Size:	106.5 KB ID:	45268
          I expect he'll have a lot fewer AX hands than I do since he's likely to shove preflop with many of them. This lets me bet most aces for value and leave only a few in the checking range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-C.png
Views:	270
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	45316
          I don't like my answer here but I don't see a better way.

This flop is good for us because we have the range advantage, the nut advantage, and even position! We win a lot on this flop simply by betting.

Once we get to the turn, though, we have a lot of junk in our range and he's called a bet. I don't see a way around this issue. Perhaps I'm betting too much on the flop?

Name:	2021-01-D.png
Views:	267
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	45317
          We have a pretty strong value range here where AQ is at the bottom of it. We also have enough missed diamond draws to balance it that I think we can just jam everything.

The one thing I'm not certain of is the 8 combos of third pair that we have (7X) here. I don't think a 7 has much showdown value at this point, though, so I'm ok with turning it into a bluff.
          Last edited by McLovin; 01-09-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Preflop, when the BB only calls, it takes most Axo, big Axs and pairs out of his range that he would have either 3bet or shoved Preflop
            • This gives us a huge Range Advantage on the A-Hi flop (71% equity vs BB entire range)
            • BB only has A2s-A9s and maybe a slowplayed AA but he doesn't have big Ax hands or sets
            • With such a big Range Advantage on a dry A-Hi flop, we can cbet small and at a high frequency
            • Pot would be 5.5bb so I would cbet 1.5-1.8bb

• When we bet this big it narrows BB range considerably. He loses all his air and we still have ours
            • The equities now run a lot closer (46:54) and the 6d doesn't change this much
            • BB range now consists of Ax, 8x, 2x, wheel draws and wraparound draws that are BD d, c and s
            • I would keep some 2 pair hands (A6/A8) in my checking range and some flushes with showdown value (8xdd) to keep that range strong
            • All draws are flushes or gutshots
            • I could also bluff with some junk to balance but I would lean towards conserving chips at this point and hopefully hit on the River

• With the two remaining ranges we have approx. 67% equity so, should be betting this River card
            • I think I can still bet all Ax for thin value as my Ax should be ahead of all his remaining Ax as I would have expected a CR by now if he had 2 pair with the A
            • I can comfortably bet my sets and straights All-In
            • I have some showdown now with my 7x
            • If I decide to bluff it will be All-in but with hands that don't have a 9 in as he may have continued with hands like BD T9, 98, 97 that would have continued on the flop
            • I also want to unblock his wheel draws that he might have stayed in with so I wouldn't bluff any 3x, 4x, 5x
            • My Kx have some showdown value although at this point, minimal
            • After discussion with "kkep" in the comments, this could be my new more balanced strategy although, I'm still not sure that not betting AJ-AK would not be for pure value. However, I do acknowledge that the new betting strategy strengthens my checking range whilst allowing more bluffs with an all-in bet on the River.
            • I am now using all my missed FD as bluffs and betting all 2 pair+ for value to get as close as I can to a 2 : 1, Value : Bluff ratio

Notes:
            Last edited by Simon B; 12-23-2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• kkep
              kkep commented
              Editing a comment
              Simon if you think you have 94 premium hands I think you get to, need to bluff with all your remaining combos here.

It might be better to just bet your flushes, straights and sets which I think is 30 combos and all your bricks 9. I think that gets us pretty close to our bluff to value ratio in correlation to our river bet size, assuming you are going all in.

The smaller we bet the more bluffs we have. I'm never sure of my math in these spots but I think given your V to B ratio you would need to bet like 2BB to force the V to defend with something like 95% of their range.

So then I think the question is do we really have that many premium hands and so little junk? IDK but I erred on the side of caution
              Last edited by kkep; 01-11-2021, 10:43 AM.

• Simon B
              Simon B commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey kkep, you're probably right. I think the Ax hands are thin value just because they beat all BB remaining Ax that he didn't shove Preflop. He may have rivered some obscure 2 pair+ but, I think this might just be one of those spots where we just end up being really value heavy. I think if the flop was K/Q-Hi we end up with far less value in our range and become more balanced as we would check back a lot of Ax on the Turn but if the BB is reshoving all his offsuit Ax then we just end up with more value in our range. I'm also taking into account how dry the flop is that he calls 2 streets for nearly half his stack. What do you think his range looks like when we get to the River? I have him on weaker Ax, 8x, 2x (he should have shoved all other pairs), missed diamond draw that he called as a BD on the flop (KQJTdd combos), he could also have T9dd and 45dd for the same reasoning I suppose. A lot of the coaches also talk of 20bb or less with top pair or better and we are all in - if we're beat, we're beat.
              What do you think?

• kkep
              kkep commented
              Editing a comment
              We always have to have some bluffs, I think here we want close to 2 value for every bluff. I had to redo my answer because I thought the 8 was a spade and I ended up over bluffing It's a very exploitative line which probably doesn't work for these assignments. SO I might redo it one more time and get to the right V-B ratio

Name:	0320200001 -0520.PNG
Views:	252
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	45333

Suppose you raise to 2bb and the big blind calls, the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A♦-8♣-2♠. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

Name:	0320200002 -0520.PNG
Views:	255
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	45334

Name:	0320200003 -0520.PNG
Views:	254
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	45335

Name:	0320200004 -0520.PNG
Views:	255
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	45336
            Last edited by Lod; 01-10-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Using hands with a 9 and 5 to bluff because those hands block the villain's straights.

Last edited by GinDC; 12-19-2020, 09:13 AM. Reason: fix more errors

Comment

• MisterSutton1
                MisterSutton1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Gin...you categorized KK-99 as premium on the flop. I wanted to but labeled them as marginal instead. What was your thought process in doing it the way you did since you downgraded them on the turn.

Also, would you normally be betting so many BDFDs, or was it out of necessity that you did that? I considered K6s junk and used all the suited hands the had BD straight possibilities as my bluffs.

I'm a first timer with the HW, so I'm just trying to get some insights into how folks are working through the problem! All the best!

Placeholder

Comment

In Progress
                • The 20bb RFI chart has a small number of All-In pushes but to simplify my play I am just min-raising the entire range.

BTN Range
                • The BB is listed as being a competent player. The range below is the GTO calling range for 20bb. But I would guess most competent players will not play this but will play a slightly larger calling rang including 22-44, A7o-A8o.

BB Range

Suppose the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A-8-2♠. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?
                • Given the 2 ranges above (and even the range with the extra hands listed) I have 65%+ range advantage and a large nut advantage. I will bet the entire range again. The hand in blue are hands with less than 50% equity against the BB range and would be the first hands I might fold to a 2 bet from the BB, depending on the size of the bet.

Suppose you bet 3.5bbs and the opponent calls. The turn comes the 6 and the BB checks. What is your strategy?
                • Because I have bet my whole range on the flop and he has called, my whole range equity has dropped considerably. If he is competent and he call with hands that have 2% better then the 28% equity he needs to call, his range now consists of some 2 Pair hand, some Top Pair marginal kicker hands and mostly marginal middle and bottom pair hands, and a few hands with overcards to the 8.
                • Against this range I now have only about 50% equity with my whole range giving me a lost of junk. I still, however, have all the Top A hands and all the sets in my range. With AA it is much less likely he has a Ax hand so it less likely they will call a Turn bet with this. I'm checking AA to give them a chance to bluff the river.

• I'll be jamming my remaining 11.5bb (assuming a 2bb preflop bet) with all the hands I'm betting on the river.

Last edited by SeanT; 12-25-2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Martin; 12-19-2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Preflop.png Views:	0 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	44853

Name:	image_9882.png
Views:	503
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	44852

Click image for larger version  Name:	Turn.png Views:	0 Size:	136.0 KB ID:	44854

Click image for larger version  Name:	River.png Views:	0 Size:	127.0 KB ID:	44855
                    Last edited by lfap; 12-24-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Question:

Suppose the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A-8♣-2♠. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

Question to Jonathan? What do you think off my approach below?
                      This is a very dry board and my stack is very short. Therefore I want to check with everything because F and R are enough to get all-in when appropriate and I induce bluffs by checking behind.

Because I have to bet with the next question I will choose for the strategy below

Suppose you bet 3.5bbs and the opponent calls. The turn comes the 6 and the BB checks. What is your strategy?
                      Now I have too much junk in my hand and will put some junk in my drawinging hands and bet with some low suited cards that missed the draws c and s. K7,K6,K5.K4,K3 in total 10 combo’s
                      Also My checking range is to weak so I decided to use some premium hands to check. I will check wit hall Ax not suited with 1 diamond. Ex AKd

I go allin or check

Thanks for this challanging question. !!!!

Comment

• kkep
                        kkep commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You need to have some bluffs on the river

• Luck
                        Luck commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes You are right. If this is my end situation I should find some total junk and put those in my bluffs

My initial thought was to bet my entire range small on this flop, but i see we are using a bigger sizing here OTB. So im using a more polarized strategy. But betting 33-77 for protection and checking top set on this super dry board.

I am check calling my top pairs, and using my missed draw as bluffs. Im also turning my smallest pp's into bluffs since they probably dont have much SDV after villain calls 2 streets

Last edited by Raddad_101213; 12-29-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

With a 20bb stack, folded to me on the BTN, this will be my general strat vs a SB 3bet, with a lot more flat calling of 3bets from the BB.

BB calls and checks the A♦-8♣-2♠ flop. I will bet strong TP for value and all my board suited combos as a bluff. I will check 2P+, marginal mades and junk.

The BB calls and checks the 6♦ turn. I will bet most TP to get value from flushdraws and 8x, and all my diamond combos as bluffs. I will check Ax of diamonds and 6x to keep in villains bluffs. (I probably screwed up the adjust feature while accounting for the checked diamond combos)

Last edited by Anavar; 12-23-2020, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Larry H; 12-23-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jan2021HW PreFlop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.5 KB ID:	44713

Suppose you raise to 2bb and the big blind calls, the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A-8-2. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

I'm betting the 8x, 33 99-JJ mostly for protection as I believe they are often the best hand here on this flop but since they aren't technically premium I marked them as draws.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jan2021HWFlop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.8 KB ID:	44714

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jan2021HWTurn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.1 KB ID:	44715

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7. The BB checks. What is your strategy?

I'm going all-in and. I think (hope) we get to over bluff here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jan2021HWRiver.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.4 KB ID:	44718
                            Last edited by kkep; 12-21-2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

BB jams or 3bets all pairs and nearly all offsuit Ax at this stack depth. As a result, BTN has a massive range advantage (68-32) as well as nut advantage (not only doesn't have AA/88/22 but also doesn't have A8o/A2o and obviously 82o) on this board. We can bet range for a large sizing.

The BB's range should be more condensed now and this is not a card that should slow down much of our value range. Any Ax is close to the nuts but we check some back to protect our checking range, plus all the 8x and 6x we have. Our bluffs consist of some gutters (I'm choosing to check back our open enders as it really sucks to get raised off our equity), our weakest flush draws and lots of offsuit hands with a diamond. Those all have plenty of outs to improve to BB's 8x and aren't upset if they get raised.

Depending on how wide we think BB is raising us preflop, we can even consider continuing to bet KK-99 for value here. I opted to check them but I don't think continuing with them is unreasonable.

We have 10.5 back and the pot is ~20. BB has an MDF of 66% and we should have a ratio of 3 value hands for every 1 bluff. Ideally we would have more combos without diamonds to bluff with (unblocking our opponents missed diamonds, although we do still beat some of those combos) but we have plenty of combos that block T9/95/54. I could be convinced checking back our A9/AT and bluffing less is okay too, but I think we're missing value if we check those combos.

Last edited by RealJPB; 01-04-2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Comment

January 2021 Homework Question

12-18-2020, 02:13 AM

Here is my solution and reasoning as well as the tools I used to come up with my version of the solution.

I didn't have the 20bb charts on my flopzilla so I used 25bb implimentable charts with flopzilla pro instead to see how the ranges interact. I kind of noticed that 66 and 77 are problematic hands on the flop as they would kind of love a check and force me to split my range and I think they would be jams 20bb deep so I just mentally removed them.

Anyways, my first problem was figuring out how should the bluff to value ratio to be on the flop. If you would have a small bet size just betting range would be easy. But with such a big bet size I figured the range needs to be polarised. So, I put my trusty GTO+ to work to find out how the bluff to value sizes should be with a perfectly polarised range. So I made the flop 999 and gave one person the range of A9 or 23, 45 and the other guy have 88 so neither can outdraw the other and locked the bet size as 1/2 pot for each street. From this I got the rough guideline that with a 1/2 pot sized bet on the flop. Turns out that eith a 1/2 pot size with a perfectly polarised range you would bet 3 values to 4 bluffs on the flop 3 values to 2.25 bluffs on the turn and 3 to 1 on the river.

Here the sizes are bigger on the flop and smaller on the turn. But at least it seems that on the flop I need to have more bluffs than value bets. I noticed that a huge chunk (13% I think of my range was A9 or better which makes them super nutted, they are only losing to rare 2 pairs while blocking 2 pair combos. So a big portion of my range was nutted but my bluffs have a lot of equity against his bluffcatchers that are worse than eight. So if my opponent has very hard time outdrawing my value hands but I can outdraw his bluffcatchers it seems like I can use quite a few more bluffs than with a polarised situation where neither can outdraw the other.

Then I checked on flopzilla what happens if I'm betting with all of my aces, eights and pocket pairs that are higher than eight. Turns out that range had a whopping 85% equity against my opponents range. That seems to be quite enough that I can use all of them as polarised range bet. The problem was that it made something like 210 combos out of 530 combos and if I need to have more bluffs than value bets then I'm simply running out of bluffs, any hand with a 2 or king highs are likely ahead of his range or at least even. So I figured that if I have over 200 value hands and I need to have more bluffs than value hands I simply need to bet every hand on the flop even though I kind of should have a polarised range with that bet size.
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	R21-003909.png Views:	0 Size:	83.8 KB ID:	44743

Then I had to figure out how my opponent should react to my betting. Any pairs was easy but that gave BB way too strong range as it was crushing the Cbet range if it only calls with pairs and was also massively overfolding. So I figured that he also needs to call with all of the low gutshots even though without the backdoor flushdraw they seemed like I would actually like to fold them. Maybe the ones without a backdoor could be used as raises but I didn't know if he can have a raise range there against such a big bet size. Then any 2 cards higher than 8 with a backdoor flushdraw seemed like they have a reasonable amount of equity even against my value hands as 8x was making a big chunk of my value range. Then just to find a few more hero calls I decided that maybe 79s and 67s with a backdoor would be be worth floating. and give a bit of coverage.

So my opponent was defending with any pair, any gutshots, any 2 cards higher than an 8 if they have a backdoor and a few backdoor straight flush draws. But even stretching the calls it was only 300 hands out of almost 900 combos but I just couldn't find anything more that could even remotely call. Maybe raising would add a few more hands though it would weaken the good hands of the call range but that task was beyond me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R21-011434.png Views:	0 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	44744

So with the turn being 6, very few of the BBs hands improved, just some 2 pairs. But now that I had the imaginary range of my opponent I could compare it on flopzilla. Seemed like any 8 was still relatively good for the btn. But worst eights were something like 55% equity and though they could use a bit of protection it didn't seem like 55% is enough for a polarised bet. So I simply decided to cut my value hands with J8, J8 or better would still be betting, including 99, TT JJ QQ KK. T8 or worse would be checking. Then I needed to find the bluffs to go with the bets. Some of the flushdraws should check back so I would have easier time defending my capped range. So, I tried with K high flushdraws checking and Q high betting and then adding gutshots etc as bluffs but my bet range was always too strong. I've noticed from previous solver work that very often the bet ranges should have close to 55% equity and I was pushing for close to 60% when using gutshots etc. In the end I just brutally cut my range and bluffed with anything worse than QJ so I'm using hands that have as low as possible showdown value and can benefit from high cards folding, that got my equity close to 55% though I was likely using the wrong hands as bluffs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	turns.png Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	44746

A few mistakes in that. anything with a paired 6 should be a check and T7 is a bluff not value.

The river was quite easy I assumed my opponent would continue with any pair, any flushdraw or open ender against such a small bet size though maybe some of the hands should raise, I figured at least 2 pairs that are in danger of being counterfeited would want to raise for value/protection but I didn't know how to account for that.

So checking my range agains his call range it seemed like any ace was still good enough for valuebet when he has to defend at MDF with all of the draws busted, kings were just having about exactly 50% equity. So on the river I would valuebet any ace or better.

Funnily I noticed that my opponent should call with his best missed flushdraws with a high card if I'm never using hearts as bluffs as then hearts are blocking my value range and not my bluff range. But that would be such a sick line that I would feel safe leaving such an exploit open.

Name:	river2.png
Views:	538
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	44754
                                  Last edited by Koral; 12-21-2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Name:	20bb BTN RFI.png
Views:	534
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	44749

Rang betting Flop. I also have the nut advantage.

Name:	20 BTN v BB Flop.png
Views:	528
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	44750
                                    suppose you bet 3.5bbs and the opponent calls. The turn comes the 6♦ and the BB checks. What is your strategy?

Alot of marginal made hands : Junk on the turn doing a ton of checking, betting only my premium made hands and checking my diamond flushdraws at this Stack Depth. I don't want to bet and get raised off of my equity. I realize my equity better by checking in this spot.

Name:	20 Btn v bb turn.png
Views:	532
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	44751

I get to the river with majority of my best hands, VILLIAN must have a weaker Ax to call flop and turn, maybe even some 2pairs, but im still just jamming.

Name:	20 Btn v bb river.png
Views:	526
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	44752

Comment

Preflop

Name:	preflop.png
Views:	527
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	44756

Flop

Dry board, i would bet my entire range small.

Name:	Flop.png
Views:	530
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	44757

Turn

Name:	Turn.png
Views:	531
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	44758

River

We are left with a very strong range. Maybe it's better to go all-in with our entire range after the BB checks?

Name:	River.png
Views:	529
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	44759

Comment

The dry A-high board gives me a strong range and nut-advantage against a BB calling range. I want to bet frequently and in a large amount (for this stack depth, anyway). The pot is 5.5bb & we have 18bb behind, I can go for a range bet to fold out a lot of hands with my junk and extract value with my strong hands at the same time.

12 non-Broadway XsXs are added to "Junk"

The call strengthens BB's range significantly and gives BB the range advantage (but not the nut advantage). The 6d is a fairly neutral card. I want to bet less frequently and in an amount that sets up a sufficiently large river jam to have fold equity on both streets (the pot is 12.5bb & we have 14.5bb behind, so 4-5bb should do it). Offering BB ~4:1 pot odds, I should have almost 4 value hands for each bluff (a bit less, since the bluffs have some equity).

27 combos of Qxs & Jxs are added to Junk.

My checking range is weak, but it's more important to extract value with my strong hands than it is to protect my checking range.

I have a lot of top pairs (84), a fair number of 2pr+ (41) and just a handful of junk (7), so I will want to bet polarized (all-in is just 1/2pot (10.5bb into 20.5bb)) with my best hands (2pr+ and the 9 TPTK that don't block BB's missed K-high diamond draws), my junk and some weak 1-pr hands (with blockers to the straight) that are likely no good at showdown. Laying BB 3:1 odds, I should have 1/3 as many bluffs as value.

3 AKo with the spade-K are included in Marginal, since they unblock missed draws that will give no value.
                                        9 combos of 7s that block the straights are used as Additional Bluffs.
                                        Last edited by bengoshidesu; 01-09-2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I just figured out after I did this how to post the images the way everyone else does, instead of uploading them like I did. I'll do it right next time. I'm new here!

I had trouble on this one finding enough draws on the flop because it's a pretty dry board. And by the river I didn't have many bluffs.

Last edited by JFletch2323; 12-24-2020, 08:16 PM.

Comment

MY DRAWS HERE ARE ALL BACKDOOR. SHOULD I BE BETTING SOME OF THE BACKDOOR STRAIGHTS TO UP THE DRAW PERCENTAGE?
                                            IN REALITY, IT'S PLAYER DEPENDENT. IF PLAYER WAS WEAK I WOULD BE BETTING MORE. IF THEY WERE TRCIKY, I WOULD BE CHECKING MORE.

Last edited by Bentley; 12-28-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (PF).png
Views:	476
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	44883
                                              Using the BTN rfi 20bb GTO chart, I would be using this strategy. I elected to go all-in with JTs and raise with QTs since they are all-in/call some portion of the time. I did this for a few other hands that have all-in/call some portion of the time. Mainly, going all in with A2s-A4s and raising with A5s, going all in with A7o/A8o and raising with A9o, eliminating 96s but raising 100% of the time with 75s/65s, and combining some of the percentages for Q8o-T8o.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (F).png
Views:	474
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	44884
                                              I like the idea of betting my entire range here since this board hits my range decently well. Assuming the BB 3-bet or jammed 22+, ATs+, and most Axo, I have a much higher equity advantage vs a BB defend, which leads me to want to bet my entire range in this spot. The problem with betting my entire range, especially with a large bet size, is that if called, I am left with way too much junk on the turn. Since I don’t want tons of junk on the turn, I am checking all of my offsuit broadway cards looking to fold to a bet and betting all of my backdoor draws and pairs or better.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (T).png
Views:	470
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	44885
                                              On this turn, we still have a nice equity advantage vs the BB defend which leads me to bet at a high frequency. I definitely think betting my K-high flush draws is a good strategy because they block the BB Kxd hands he may have picked up on the turn, though I did continue with all of my diamond draws since I have over 2:1 premium made:draws in my range. Though I did not bet them, I think there is a lot of merit in continuing to bet TT+ and 8x hands but not 6x hands that have to fold to a check-raise jam. This time I checked these hands, but would most likely call a reasonable river bet at this stack depth, especially since I think our opponent would have been 3-betting/shoving their strongest hands pf. BB range should consist of mostly one pair type hands.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (R).png
Views:	471
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	44886
                                              One thing to note is not every hand in my premium range is a premium hand. I found this easier than adding more colors to the chart. On this river I like betting my hands with a T or 9 blocker. I’m not sure if the right play is checking behind strong Aces since this river is a decent card for the BB range and betting A9/AT because they have the straight blocker. I elected to check my strong Aces and bet with two-pair and better as well as pairs with blockers and bluffs. Any bet we make here is an all-in so MDF is 66% if we are betting 10.5 bb into the 20.5 bb pot. Interesting river card. Any feedback would be helpful.

Comment

Last edited by Billy poker; 12-27-2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

No shoving range pre
                                                  on flop bet range and all backdoor FD as bluf + some bad ofsuit stuff
                                                  turn continue with premium and diamonds and gutters and OESD
                                                  river bet premium + all draws that block straights and high aces
                                                  Attached Files

Comment

Suppose the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A-8-2. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7. The BB checks. What is your strategy?

Comment

Preflop 20bb BU -- RAISE 2BB

Flop - Ad8c2s [5.5BB]

SPR = 4 -- short stack game
                                                      Board = Dry
                                                      Range advantage = High ~ 60% equity
                                                      Nut advantage = Strong => Large sizing

Board - Since BB won't be able to XR us alomst ever (as he jams a lot of Axo preflop), we BET RANGE
                                                      Global strategy - Bet range, large sizing

The only opposing factor here is that our nut hands dont need protection - so not sure how to tackle that.

Turn - 6d
                                                      Pot = 5.5+3.5+3.5=12.5BB
                                                      Stack behind = 15.5BB
                                                      We can bet small and jam river. Our nut hands don’t need protection. Hence, we bet medium w polarized range.
                                                      Opponent flop XC range is a lot of 8x, some 2x Ax, good K/Q highs. He is most likely capped and will fold all non-Ax by the river.
                                                      6d is a neutral card. Equity doesn’t shift here. Both of us make some 2p combos.
                                                      My range should play polarized here. We should value bet all Ax to get it in by the river ~ 80 combos. Hence, we can max bluff ~80 combos here.
                                                      We are trying to target OOPs K/Q high hands. Hence, our bluffs should unblock those.
                                                      We should also not bet with straight or flush draws, in case OOP jams we have to fold a lot of equity.

River – 7s
                                                      Pot = 12.5+4+4=20.5bb
                                                      Stack behind = 11.5bb ~ 55% pot
                                                      Optimal bluff frequency = 27%
                                                      OOP is a good player; his range is fairly strong by now consisting of weak Ax and mostly 8x. Some of his strongest Ax or combo draws would have jammed on the turn.
                                                      7s doesn’t really change much except T9 which gets there. OOP doesn’t have T9 combos.
                                                      We will value bet all top pair+ = 95 combos
                                                      Optimal bluff combos ~ 31 combos
                                                      Basically, bluff everything that missed except maybe 7x.

Comment

Preflop:

I have position and want to open wide to possibly steal the blinds/ play a heads ups up as the preflop aggressor. GTO has you jamming 22-44, J10s, Low suited A’s, and A9-A7. Depending on the players in the blind I may switch my strategy however, I think it is easier to just implement a raising range instead of a raise and all-in strategy.

Flop:

I plan to bet small with my entire range to have the BB fold out his junk and pick up equity in the folds.

Turn:

On the turn I plan to check with all my pocket pairs that did not turn into prem hands, 33-55, 77, 99-KK to maybe call a river bet if the villain leads. I will also check some A’s so my checking range is not overly weak. I will bet all my good Ax A10+, 2pair combos, sets, and nut flush draws. To find additional draws I will bet all my open ended and gut shots to balance my betting range.

River:

I would use a large bet sizing her since I am weighted heavy with value hands with little to no bluffs in my range. I have a few hands I would check down with that have some showdown value such as all made pairs but I do not plan on winning very often. I think checking AJ and A10 is smart because not many worst hands would call 3 streets of betting and I think villain could have AQ-A10 in their range. All 2pair combos, sets, and AK &AQ will be bet for value since many worst Ax will typically call.

P.S. first time I submitted a homework question so please feel free to rip it apart. Also, if there are any issues with the range analyzer let me know for next time.

Thanks,

Mark M.

Comment

Suppose the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A-8♣-2♠. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

Comment

Comment

Name:	PreFlop20bb.png
Views:	383
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	45027 I chose a RFI range of around 45% of hands. I play primarily cash and I don't know if there should be a shoving range already but with an open size so small, there is enough room for post flop play that I elect not to have one. On the flop I bet good top pair or better, middle pair, 99 and TT for some value/protection. KK and QQ and weak aces I check behind as they are less likely to get outdrawn. My bluffs are the backdoor flush draws. On the turn I continue to bluff my back door diamonds that have no showdown value, and continue to bet AJ+, barreling the river with AJ+ and unpaired diamonds.

Name:	Flop20bb.png
Views:	377
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	45028 Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn20bb.png
Views:	378
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	45029 Click image for larger version

Name:	River20bb.png
Views:	379
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	45030

Comment

Kjelon

I went off the 25bb preflop chart. As someone who plays primarily cash, it's always hard to think of opening my range this much as I should in tournaments with shorter stacks. My 'normal' button range would eliminate the bottom 1/3 of this range. Standard 2.5bb raise.

Pot 5.5bb -- With this range I bet a little more than 1/3 of the time. Lots of weak draws available here and my bet of some of them would be more read-dependent, but I'm pretty comfortable betting this range and I'd expect the BB to give up a reasonable amount of the time.

Pot 12.5bb -- Continue to press with top pair/good kicker and better as well as stronger draws now that the second diamond fell, about 40% of hands. Our range remains ahead of the BB.

Pot 20.5bb -- Three of the straight draws came through. I now have so many premium hands in my range, that every busted draw also needs to be bet for balance. AK and AQ could become marginal made hands, but the BB coming along the entire way likely means there's a bunch of worse hands in that range that would call the river bet.

Comment

1) Preflop Range:

I made an RFI range somewhat between the 25bb and 15bb GTO chart we have on pokercoaching.com. I'm assuming we have roughly similar stacks and that effective stack is around 20bb. I might open wider if I know SB/BB is playing tighter and/or will fold to even a 2 bb raise.

2) Flop action when checked to:

I cbet some junk hands without draws (KQo-JTo) since with an ace high board I can potentially get villain to fold a decent chunk of his range, and the board being so dry means I can bet most of my preflop raising range with a small sizing. Similarly I bet with all the pocket pairs for that reason, though I categorized KK-99 as premium as if villain doesn't have AX I can bet for value, assuming villain 3bets competently AA-99 preflop instead of flatting from bb.

Turn when the 6d comes:

Since I bet the flop, I removed all the marginal/junk hands I wouldn't have bet with by the turn. Here, since the board does not really change, I added a lot of the hands that did not pick up equity in the junk category, as I don't think villain will fold an 8X if he called the flop with it,

River when the 7s comes:

I included all the K high, Q high, and J high missed backdoor flush draws, as I felt I needed enough bluffing hands to balance my premium range. I put KK-99 and AJs/AJo in the marginal made range, as I do still lose to strong AX holdings, and in the rare event bb had just called with a premium. Though looking back, maybe I still bet AJs/AJo for thin value.

Comment

Preflop:

Use a GTO preflop strategy vs competent opponents. Have a wide PFR range on the BUT, since we are 20 bb deep, we can have a small shove range with off suited Aces that dominate some worse Aces but don't mind getting folds preflop. Use suited wheel Aces(blockers and playability), and some of our worst pocket pairs(good raw equity)

Size: 2.5bb

Flop: Pot : 5.5bb (SPR = ~3.5)

We have the range advantage on this flop, so we can cbet 100% of our range small.

Not sure if we have to polarize our range if this is short stacked, but if so then our range looks like this:

1) No more than 2:1 Draws to Premium Ratio

2) At least 2:1 Marginal Hands to Junk ratio

100% Cbet size: 1.5bb

Polar Cbet size: 4bb

Turn: Pot: 12.5bb

The 6d is better for our opponent, as his calling range is strengthened with this brick card. His calling range consists of mostly AX, 8x, pocket pairs, and some K high floats. All his junk is removed and thus he now has the range advantage. We have to now use a polar turn strategy

We can narrow draw bluffs to all diamond draws, and we pick up a few straight draws(T9, 97, 75, T7). So our turn bluffing range is well balanced compared to our premiums.

Optimal turn ratio: Up to a 1:1 Premium to draw ratio

Marginal to junk: Same as flop, 2:1 or better

Bet size: 5bb (set up for a decent river jam sizing)

River: 20.5 bb

River bluff ratio: 2:1 premium to bluff, we have a lot of premium made hands at this point so it's easy to balance this out and find good bluffs.

Our marginal range is kind of weak but we are IP and it's still balanced compared to our marginal made hands. Also short stack?

Sizing: always JAM! with our premiums/draw bluffs

Last edited by Jaywizzlez; 01-04-2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-21 pre.png Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	45106

Suppose you raise to 2bb and the big blind calls, the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A-8-2. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?
                                                                      Pot 5.5bb, With range and nut advantage range bet small. Don't know if hand break down really matters.

Name:	1-21 flop.png
Views:	291
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	45260

pot 12.5, BB folds lot of junk on flop, not a good card for us equities about the same

Name:	1-21 trn.png
Views:	289
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	45261
                                                                      Pot 20.5bb 10.5bb left

Name:	1-21 rvr.png
Views:	293
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	45262
                                                                      Last edited by slacker; 01-07-2021, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Preflop Chart Based off Memory/Instinct.

actual preflop chart

I had a hard time with this as there isn't as our range here doesn't have as many obvious draws/ we have a lot of offsuit hands without a pair. Maybe AA can be slowplayed but I put it as a bet - It’s really hard to find draws here w/o going deep into backdoors. I suppose we are checking a fair amount but I’m not even sure. Do we check all of our 8’s or bet combos? Idk? Do we bet all of the Aces or check some - I put it to check some bad aces and all 8’s but it’s gunna bet 99/TT even though those are made hands.

This is the turn strategy so I guess betting 4 instead of 3.5. A few of our hands pair up, some of our hands become more marginal. We give up on the junk that didn't improve - It's hard to find draws so gunna continue barreling diamonds and certain straight draws. -I put 55 as barreling again due to lack of a draws.

Our 109 makes a straight - We have 2 pair as a value combo and if any of our a7s bet they also made 2 pair. To balance it's mostly diamond combos to bluff with - preferably the ones that block 10s/9s. Following JLs hint in one of his videos - we don't jam every AK so I put half the combos to jam.

First attempt at a homework so roast it like roast beef. :P

Comment

Following 20BB GTO charts preflop, 15% of opening range I'm jamming to maximize fold equity with hands too weak to open, but have decent equity when called

Name:	Jan - Preflop.png
Views:	352
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	45111
                                                                          On the flop, on a board this dry, I opt to check all pairs (including slowplayed AA) to protect checking range, while betting most A-big cards and suited broadways w/ backdoor flush draws. I choose to not bet the suited big/little cards even w/ backdoor equity to peel and see if I turn additional equity on the next street

Name:	Jan - Flop.png
Views:	345
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	45112
                                                                          We turn a diamond flush draw and all flush draws continue to bet on the turn. All of the suited broadways/suited connectors that didn't turn flush draws get added to Junk checking range. I'm also checking AT and worse (without FD) to strengthen checking range and to pot control in case i'm up against a stronger ace. Sets, 2 pairs, and AJ+ are getting bet for value

Name:	Jan - Turn.png
Views:	344
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	45113
                                                                          River brings in backdoor straight draw and all of the flushdraws brick out. I had a hard time finding bluffs on this board because I'm not sure what combos villain can hold that I'd be able to fold out. If he has AT+ he will be calling. I check back w/ AT and worse for the reason above. I end up giving up with all of the suited broadways/connectors that missed. Perhaps I could add some bluffs here -- not sure which combos would be good.

Name:	Jan - River.png
Views:	349
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	45114
                                                                          This is my first time doing the homework -- and I'm fairly new to the game. Any thoughts about how I constructed my ranges and how they could be more balanced? Particularly in the proportion of value hands/draws, and marginal made vs. junk.

Thank you!
                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

1st timer! I just started studying with the site, and it's been great! I've learned so much, super fast. Little nervous to post today, but excited to learn a bunch too!

In a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are on the BTN and action folds to you. What is your strategy?Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-flop.png
Views:	344
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	45116

I feel like my ratios are balanced. 2:1 draws to premium hands. I think I need a few more marginal hands compared to junk. The biggest issue is the treatment of the Kx hands. It feels so weird to categorize some as marginal, some as draws, and others as junk. I want them to all be marginal, but it messed up the balance. I'd love any advice.

Views:	339
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	45117

I love lots of these draws, but the Qx hands are now my worry. I had them drawing to beat my opponents marginal hands containing an 8, thinking I could bluff with them on the river. Is that a bit aggressive? Also, I know bluffsremium should be 1:1, but what about junk:marginal?

Views:	340
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	45118

This pretty much played itself out. I didn’t have to do much lifting or thinking, which I think is good? Again, marginal:Junk ratio?

Views:	339
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	45119

​​​​​​​

Comment

• #43
                                                                              Preflop

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	331
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	45157

Flop

Name:	unnamed (1).png
Views:	335
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	45154

Turn

Name:	unnamed (2).png
Views:	332
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	45155

River

Name:	unnamed (3).png
Views:	335
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	45156

Comment

• #44
                                                                                Hi Everyone
                                                                                This is my first post so take it easy on me. Actually my second try, I had almost finished the homework when safari crashed on me and I lost the thread luckily the range analyser bits were saved. Anywho, I didn't tilt so I'm back to try again.

I am a little confused with the adjust functional and what I am meant to be doing with the suited card section so I would love some advice or be pointed in the right direction with regards to what I should be doing with them.

OK here goes nothing.

I used the 20BB GTO chart for my range, I don't know if it's correct or not but I chose to go all-in with the low Aces and suited 44-

I am not really sure about my ratios here as I suspect I need a few more hands in my checking and junk range to be balanced.

I am betting all pairs and draws when BB checks to me, I am not mad for a big bet as with only 18 BB I would be looking to get it all in on the river but also the BB would check-call or check raise a big hand which would kill me at this stage so that's why I would bet small. If the BB check-raises I would be All-In with A,8, or trips with 18 bigs, folding everything else.

I'm not sure if I should be C betting JJ- with an Ace on the board and I am 50/50 betting or checking a pair of aces so these will still be in my range going to the river.

I would expect the BB with a lower pair or an Ace with a bad kickers o fold to a C bet. I would expect the BB to raise A2, on the flop or call with a flush draw on the turn so I have the range advantage.

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7♠. The BB checks. What is your strategy

I am all in with two pair and trips and I would check down a single pair on this board. As I would expect the BB to slow play if they flopped A8, A2 or trips but lead out forcing me all in on the river.

With 10 bigs I would expect any Aces to call my all-in hoping I am bluffing with the busted flush or a lesser pair.
                                                                                Last edited by TokyoExpress; 01-05-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• #45

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	45184 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	45185 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	45186 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	45187
                                                                                  Last edited by nivekb33; 01-06-2021, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                    Preflop I am working on developing this limping strategy because it induces the SB to limp and the BB to raise thinking it's free money. Especially when the BB is solid.

This is the BB continue/ 3 bet/ shove strategy at 20BB. I have 60% equity heading into the flop.

When the flop (6.5 BB pot) comes Ad, 8c, 2s, this is the strategy. I will bet the premium made and draws, check the junk and marginal made and marginal draws. Equity goes up to 68%

The BB continue range is full of junk and marginal hands. Anyone calling with most of this without raising is not a good player. In all reality once the BB doesn't raise or jam on my open, he is dominated.

After betting 3.5BB on the flop, the turn brings the 6d. (Pot 13.5BB) I am betting 4BB as follows: (We are turning our single diamond hands into bluffs)

The BB picks up a few better draws and couple of 2 pair hands.

The River(21.5BB) brings the 7s. I am going to shove all in with this strategy:

I don't like to shove all-in on busted flush draws but I need these bluffs to balance out my range. I always have more bluffs than value and I think having almost equal parts check/ bluff/ and jam for value. It's hard for me to see the BB calling all the way down with his 45 or T9o to have his nut hands, while I have all the sets, T9s, The big aces and bigger 2 pairs. Our range has less equity than BBs range by the river though. The BB shows up on the river like this:

I am going to say that when the BB does not raise the turn, his range gets condensed to more like this:

Most good players are raising the backdoor draws and double gutter draws they just picked up. The turn is a better place to raise than donking the river. as played the BB has a weak range imo.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                      Hi all,

This proved challenging! But here is my answer

Name:	
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	45191 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	45192 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	45193 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	45194

After the BB check calls 2 streets I don't like the idea to bluff much... I guess here I should actually use some of the worst hands as a bluff, but SPR is about 1 and I don't see him calling all the way to the river to fold top pair or two pair... notice we have all of his top pairs dominated. I think here we just need to give up with missed draws and pure bluffs, and merely bet for value. Please let me know if you have other ideas.
                                                                                      Last edited by marcos; 01-06-2021, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• #48

Last edited by Mike Humphreys; 01-06-2021, 06:11 PM. Reason: Could bluff the K10 all combos for extra bluffs

Comment

• #49
                                                                                          First time using Range analysis tool and submitting homework, feels like i messed it up even after watching the video. I'm a fish.
                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• #50
                                                                                            Preflop

Flop

I thought I posted turn but guess not. I'm stil barreling the Ax combos, and 54s, but taking out all the other combos that weren't diamonds.

River

Comment

• #51
                                                                                              n a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are on the BTN and action folds to you. What is your strategy?

Even though we have only a little more than a pot size bet left on the river, we don't have enough bluffs in our range to jam. So I think a half pot bet is best on the river.

Comment

• #52
                                                                                                In a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are on the button and action folds to you. What is your strategy?
                                                                                                At 20bb’s.it is vital to play more top hands and rely less on suited conn type hands. I am virtually in push/fold mode but can employ a limp/call strategy at this stack depth, if necessary. I need to consider the aggression/player type of those in the blinds and their stack depths before proceeding. My image is also important. If tight, I may get some shoves through. If loose, I may get called more.

Suppose the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. Flop Ad, 8c, 2s. The bb checks to you. What is your strategy?
                                                                                                When the bb calls, I can take out the top of his range (now capped) as he’d 3-bet me. He is unlikely to have AA-JJ and any AK combos. The flop does hit his range quite well, though and he has most of the 8s and over 50% of 2s and a lot of Aces. 2 x pair can be a consideration. The flop is rainbow, so there is less chance of a flush completing. I will bet small (to keep him in) with my premium Aces and have included some of the lower Aces and pairs as draws to improve. I will check/call my middle Aces. I bet small with my sets (AA and 88) to keep opponent in, as well as with my 2 x pair hands (A8 and A2) and my marginal made 1 x pair hands. All other hands are checked, as junk.

​​
                                                                                                Suppose you bet 3.5bbs and your opponent calls. The turn comes 6d and the BB checks. What is your strategy?
                                                                                                By this time, bb has something decent. He may have a flush draw, a str88 draw, an A(x) hand, 2 x pair or a set. I have bet about a third of my stack and still need to proceed with caution. I have moved some of the lower premium Aces into marginal mades and checked them back, as they can be dominated by better Aces. I have also tried to balance premium mades with bluff str88 and flush draws. I am no longer trapping with my sets, as I need to bet for valyue and protection vs the diamond flush draw.

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the bb calls. The river comes 7s. BB checks. What is your strategy?
                                                                                                By the river, the board may connect with BBs range more than mine. Although he has something, he has been passive throughout and may have been chasing a draw. I have bet half my stack and decided to shove all sets, 2 x pair hands and straights (even the low end). I thought about thin value on the A(x) hands but decided to check back.
                                                                                                The only hand I need to worry about is 9/10 for him, esp diamonds, which he would continue with after the flop. He can also have sets and 2 x pair hands as well.

Comment

• #53
                                                                                                  Wuddup JL! This is my first time doing this so be easy on me!!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	45309 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	45310 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	88.9 KB ID:	45311 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	88.1 KB ID:	45312
                                                                                                  Last edited by StickYJeLLo; 01-09-2021, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• #54
                                                                                                    In a tournament against competent opponents with a 20bb stack, you are on the BTN and action folds to you. What is your strategy? Click image for larger version

Name:	BTN RFI 20bb.png
Views:	270
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	45321

Suppose the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A♦-8♣-2♠. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy? Pot will be 2+2+.5+1=5.5 with 18bb effective left. We have range advantage and nut advantage on a fairly dry board. (BB should have jammed 22, 88 and some Ax PF with only 20bb.) So C-Bet entire range large, 66% pot.

Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	45322
                                                                                                    Suppose you bet 3.5bbs and the opponent calls. The turn comes the 6♦ and the BB checks. What is your strategy? Pot will be 5.5+3.5+3.5=12.5 with 14.5bb effective left. Bet small, 30% pot with all Premium Made Hands and Draws as SPR is shallow.

Views:	265
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	45323
                                                                                                    Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7♠. The BB checks. What is your strategy? Pot will be 12.5+4+4=20.5 with 10.5bb effective left. I would go All in with all premium made hands and bluffs which consists of weaker top pair hands still in our range.

Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	45324

Comment

• #55

I'm going to try to paly as close to GTO as possible.

I'm going to assume I didn't go all-in.

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7♠. The BB checks. What is your strategy

Comment

• #56

Comment

• #57

Suppose the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A-8-2. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

Comment

• #58
                                                                                                            Firs time posting my homework. Hope I did it right!

PreFlop:

Flop:

Turn:

River:

Comment

• #59
                                                                                                              i made 1 already thought i can make a better one
                                                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• #60
                                                                                                                Here's my homework answer:

Against competent opponents, my RFI button range is below.
                                                                                                                I would bet 2.2bb at this stack depth.

Name:	BN RFI 25bbs.png
Views:	244
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	45354

On this dry flop, I would consider range betting my full range for a small sizing. With a pot of about 5.9bb, cbet size would be 2bb. Using this strategy would make the turn more difficult to defend.

Against competent opponents, a more balanced strategy may be better. In this scenario, I would be a more polarized range for a larger size.
                                                                                                                Below is the flop range.

Name:	BN vs BB Flop.png
Views:	242
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	45355

Below is my turn range.

Name:	BN vs BB Turn.png
Views:	244
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	45356 Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7♠. The BB checks. What is your strategy?

Below is my river range.

Name:	BN vs BB River.png
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	45357

Comment

• #61
                                                                                                                  Hacksaw

Question:

On these tournament questions I wish we had info on the stack sizes of others and other ICM info like how many hands until the blinds go up and what the payout structure is like.

At 20bb I'm not going to have a shoving strategy yet. I'm using a 2.25x raise with this range.

Name:	Preflop Range.png
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	45359

pot = 6bb, stack = 17bb
                                                                                                                  Good flop for our range. I'm going to C-Bet 100%.

pot = 12 bb stack = 14bb
                                                                                                                  The Ace hits a lot of my range so I've got plenty of bets.

Name:	Turn Range.png
Views:	238
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	45361

pot=20bb stack = 10bb

Any betting I do now is a shove.

Name:	River Range.png
Views:	239
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	45360

Comment

• #62
                                                                                                                    Jonz1

Preflop Opening range:

Name:	HMflop1.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	45376

HMflop1.png
                                                                                                                    Flop:
                                                                                                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	45370

Turn:
                                                                                                                    Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (2).png Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	45371

River:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (3).png Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	45372
                                                                                                                    Attached Files
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Jorz1; 01-11-2021, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• #63
                                                                                                                      hw 1-11-2021
                                                                                                                      my first try on homework
                                                                                                                      I know this is terrible
                                                                                                                      No where to go but up
                                                                                                                      ha

preflop

post flop ad8c2s

turn 6d

river 7s

Comment

• #64

image widget

Comment

• #65

Suppose you raise and the big blind calls and the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A♦-8♣-2♠. The BB checks to you. What is your strategy?

Am assuming the BB defended with: A9s-A2s,K8s+,K5s-K2s,Q2s+,J9s-J2s,T8s-T2s,97s-92s,86s-82s,72s+,62s+,52s+,42s+,32s,A8o-A6o,KJo-K2o,Q2o+,J3o+,T5o+,96o+,85o+,74o+,64o+,53o+,43o

Comment

• #66
                                                                                                                            Here's my range Preflop for your situation: (It's my first homework on pokercoaching, so maybe it's not what you are looking for as answer, I will do it evenwhen)

With this range, I want to have any card available in my range for the opponent, they all going to get raise to 2 BB. If I got an agressive players on the blind, I'm going to shorten my range, if both of them are passive, I will widen it. If a big stack is on the blind, I hav to shorten my range too. I really want with 20 BB create situation where i'm going to get chips in and prepare an all-in situation. I start to be in danger and if I lose 2 BB to an all-in, that will not be very bad. I widen my range on passive players cause I need chips and will have big chance to make them fold preflop or on the flop. With agressive players, I know that there 3Bet range will be wide and I don't have the luxury to play my hand that much, I can put bait to prepare them, I will fold the low parts of my range, but will go all-in with 33% of my range, I most of the time will have a stronger range than my opponent.

On the flop Ad,8c,2, with BB check:

This flop is an uncoordinated board, most likely, many TAG or LAG would have 3 Bets any Ace on the BB. He could differ from standard play and check it but it's more rare. Here's what I don't want, it's to push all-in with any hand, I will lose value with my Pair and better, and I will give a too wide range of call to my opponent if my all-in are mostly bluff. If the BB is passive, I Cbet any hand from my preflop range to 3 BB. If my opponent is agressive or Idon't have big information on him, I will check back with all my range, If I have a pair of ace or better, I want him to bluff on me on later street and due to this, I will check back any miss on the flop, so my range will stay intact for later street.

Here's my range on the turn 6d, and my opponent calls my 3.5 bets, against agressive opponent (Suit hand are highlight, but my non-diamond suit range will look like my offsuit range, my % of raise would be lower):

If I would have bet 3.5 BB on this flop, I would be mostly polarized in my range, but my range will miss any sets and any low part of my miss board, cause being low stack, I would be willing to go all the way and a 3.5 BB bets wil make my opponent fold to often and I don't want to have a too much big bluff range. Against a passive player who call this, My range would be Linear at this point of the hands, cause he's range will have backdoor or open straight, backdoor flush draw, sets cause he would be waiting for me to double barrel, he could have a pair or 2. I would remove the Straight draw and flush draw from a nits range. Against an agressive player, I must have a polarized range, cause most good players will know that I doesn't have nut hand. With 14.5 BB left in my stack and a pot of 11.5 BB, I would bet something like 4 BB with Flush Draws, Gutshot and open Staight draw, one pair and 2 pair. I don't want to bet higher, cause at that point, it would be all-in and my opponent range is to wide yet. I would want for this to have a couple of my low range to be bluff, not too much cause I'm very low stack at this point. I believe that an agressive players range at this point will still be wide and due to the fact that I was the bettor on the flop, I want to still be betting.

For the river 7s, no need for another charts, with BB checking againt and having a stack of 10.5 BB on a 19.5 BB Stack, I'm all-in with the same raising range than on the turn.

Comment

• #67
                                                                                                                              Hello everyone!

I missed the webinar... Do we know when will the video be available? I only saw Jonathan in his show "a little coffee" saying most of us screwed up 😅 ... That's great though, we can learn from our mistakes :😁

Thanks!

Comment

• #68
                                                                                                                                I am going backward in time and going to do a few old homework problems because I feel like I got a lot out of doing the February problem so here is my answer for January 2021

Name:	PREFLOP_BTN_20bb_RFI.png
Views:	36
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	46229
                                                                                                                                This is the preflop strategy, I used the preflop GTO charts from the app and made minor tweaks. We are jaming the hands in pink (Small pairs 44-22, Small suited Aces A4-A2 JTs KJo AKo A8o A&o and the rest of the hands in blue we minraise 2bb. We are opening 37.3% of hands.

Suppose you raise to 2bb and the big blind calls, the flop goes heads-up. The flop comes A
                                                                                                                                -8-2. The BB checks to you. What is your
                                                                                                                                strategy?

Name:	FLOPSTRATEGY_BTN_20bb_BBCHECKS.png
Views:	31
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	46230
                                                                                                                                So we min raise 2bb preflop and the BB defends. The Flop comes Ad-8c-2s and BB checks. This Ace hi dry uncoordinated flop is very good for our range we have the range and nut advantage. The BB doesnt have much Ax as they would jam most of those preflop at these stack depths and the same goes for pocket pairs. Therefore we are going to bet often and a smaller size. We will bet premium hands draws and marginal made hands (a case can be made to even just bet junk! but I opted to check. Equlab calculated 67% equity for our BTN range on this flop. preflop going to flop pot is (2bb + 2bb +1bb +0.5bb +5.5bb) ... effective stack 20bb-2bb = 18bb

Suppose you bet 3.5bbs and the opponent calls. The turn comes the 6
                                                                                                                                and the BB checks. What is your strategy?

Pot going to turn is 5.5bb +(3.5bb *2 = 7bb) = 12.5bb.,.. effective stack 18bb-3.5bb= 14.5bb

Name:	TURN_STRETEGY_BBcallsFLOPandCHECKSturn.png
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	46231
                                                                                                                                So we bet 3.5bb on flop and BB check-calls and 6d turns and BB checks. Pot is 12.5.. effective stack 14.5bb .... We still have a large range and nut advantage on the turn. We have backdoor flush and straight draws. We have 9 combos of sets AA, 66 88, 6 2-pair combos and plenty Aces as well as pairs above 8 below A 99-KK ... So we will be again betting frequently on the turn a medium size with our premium made hands and draws ... but we do want to start checking the hands now classified as marginal made and junk on the turn. All of the blue combos that are not diamonds (spades and clubs) are junk that we will now check. So we are checking about 40% and betting 60% on this turn.

Suppose you bet 4bbs and the BB calls. The river comes the 7
                                                                                                                                . The BB checks. What is your strategy?

POT 12.5 + (4bb *2 )= 8bb = 20.5bb ... Effective stack 14.5bb-4bb = 10.5bb (50%pot)

Name:	RIVER_STRATEGY_CHECK_BETALLIN.png
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	46232

We bet 4bb on the turn and the 7s hits the river and BB checks. So we have a range advantage and nut advantage again so we will be betting a lot. We only have a few give ups KQ KJ QJ ... (my % numbers are not right please forgive me I am getting more familiar with the range anakyzer tool) The marginal made green hands we will check and showdown and win a fair amount of the time with those hands. When we lose we likely will have avoided losing a bet or having to fold to a river check raise. With our Premium made hands and the blue hands (bluffs) we will always bet ALL-IN our remaining 10.5bb which is 50% pot and allows for max value and the most bluffs. IF we are perfectly balanced a 50% pot bet we should have 67% Value and 33% bluffs ... but we actually have les bluffs. We are bluffing our missed diamond draws which also in some way block straights so K5 K4 K3 j9 Q9 K9 QT KT go ahead and rip it in along with our sets two pairs straight and our top pair combos AT - AK. (We check back some of our weaker Ax

Comment

• #69
                                                                                                                                  You should probably open all of the Ax from the BTN. I mean A2o is better than K8o I think we can include them and A2o -A5o can make the wheel straight so the board coverage is kinda nice too vs the BB.

Comment

• Brian M
                                                                                                                                    Brian M commented
                                                                                                                                    Editing a comment
                                                                                                                                    Hello, thanks for your reply. Good point and in practice when folded to on the BTN I think i typically do open pretty much all Ax .... Here I started with the GTO preflop charts from the app as a starting point. And I have also in practice been trying to Implement those too. And I havae a tendency to open (and 3bet .. a and 4bet lol) all a little too wide and ive been trying to tighten it up recently! I'm going in reverse order and going back and answering old homework assigments because I feel like I learn a lot by working thru it and then comparing my answers to Jonathan's and hearing his analysis and seeing the PIO SOLVER CHarts.

I appreciate any feedback too and I have really been working hard on my game would love to study with some people.

• kkep
                                                                                                                                    kkep commented
                                                                                                                                    Editing a comment
                                                                                                                                    Join the poker coaching discord if your looking for study groups

• #70

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                                  X