November 2020 Homework Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 2020 Homework Question

In a $1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J
    -5-2. What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6
    . What is your strategy?

Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q
    . What is your strategy?

Vs a weak/passive open at 1/2 I'm just raising my best hands, my bluffs are pretty linear that can easily fold if 4 bet.
    I dont mind keeping the pot small OOP and I will have relative position on the flop. Pretty exploitative play going on here.

Preflop:

Flop:

I will be betting range on this flop as the small bet size suggest.

Turn:

Easy game so far, checking AA/ JJ to both protect my checks and blocking alot of hands that can still call since we have a loose player here.

River:

I will check/call AK w/o a diamond, bluffing AKs w/o diamonds. Its hard to put the opponent on a range AK beats outside random backdoor floats that choose not to bluff the flop and turn. I feel most their range here will be a pocket pair or some A highs. Perhaps I should be bluffing with some more AK in that case, but then I bet most A highs as well... Poker is hard.

Last edited by trent walker; 11-18-2020, 01:13 AM.

Comment

In a $1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy?
      I assume the BB is a weak player of some sort, so I am OK with a weaker calling range. If the BB was a strong player, I would only three bet with no calling range. I expect the passive CO player will probably fold, but I expect to get called often by the button. If the button was not involved I would have a wider raising range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nov1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	43115

Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J♥-5♠-2♦. What is your strategy?
      Not a great flop for me. I have to use backdoor flush draws to get enough bluffs, and have to check call with a lot of bare aces to keep from having too much junk. Checking AJ and AA to strengthen my checking range, which a loose player will attack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nov2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	43116
      Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6♦. What is your strategy?
      On this turn, my checking range is pretty weak. I have to put a bare ace hand into my check calling range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nov3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.2 KB ID:	43118
      Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q♣. What is your strategy?
      The queen did not help me much, my check calling range is pretty weak, but I am not sure what to do about it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nov4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	43117
      Last edited by lbhafen; 10-20-2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• edy
        edy commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe use a linear range?

Click image for larger version  Name:	1- preflop.PNG Views:	0 Size:	86.5 KB ID:	43733
      Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J♥-5♠-2♦. What is your strategy?

On this dry flop, I have the range advantage and a good nut advantage , but I am out of position.

My range is really strong, all my top pairs, overpairs and top set want to bet, but we are lacking bluffs to get the 1:2 ratio Value : Bluff on the flop and lacking Junk to get the 2:1 Marginal made hands : Junk.

Then I opt to range bet for 1/3 pot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2- flop.PNG Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	43734
      Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6♦. What is your strategy?

Click image for larger version  Name:	3- turn.PNG Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	43735
      I am using offsuit combos with a diamond in it for my bluffing range.

Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q♣. What is your strategy?

Click image for larger version  Name:	4- river.PNG Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	43736
      Last edited by ptp378; 11-16-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I'm approaching this like it's the neighborhood $1/$2 game I play every week. This involves a lot of straightforward play and not much bluffing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-11-A.png Views:	399 Size:	84.5 KB ID:	43044
        This is probably too nitty but I don't tend to get out of line much in these games, especially from the SB. My 3-betting range is all solid value hands and my flatting range is all hands that are happy to play a multiway pot. We don't know anything about the BB but since we're playing $1/$2 I'm going to assume that he's on the weaker side and we don't mind letting him into the pot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-11-B.png Views:	398 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	43045
        Even though our opponent is loose and has position, we have the range advantage and this board is pretty dry. I'm choosing to down-bet 100% of my range here. Even loose players will frequently give up on a flop like this since they have so many air balls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-11-C.png Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	43684
        Been looking at this spot for a while and I don't see a way to avoid having too much junk. Do we just barrel off with all of our missed overs that failed to turn any backdoor equity? That seems spewy. Do we just give up and c/f all of those missed overcards? That seems weak.

Maybe betting everything on the flop was a mistake but after 3-betting I was certain that firing was the play on that flop texture. I'm lost here.

I'm going forward with this answer even though it has too much junk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-11-D.png
Views:	598
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	43686
        Once we drill the queen on the river the hand gets a whole lot easier. It's hard to imagine AQ or KQ not being good given how this hand played. The problem is that I have no junk so that makes me think that I'm too unbalanced.

The whole hand is a mess and I'm not really sure where to start in terms of fixing it.
        Last edited by McLovin; 11-15-2020, 12:50 AM.

Comment

PREFLOP
          Click image for larger version  Name:	pre.png Views:	17 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	43332

FLOP: Range-bet with small sizing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	flop.png Views:	0 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	43133
          TURN

Click image for larger version  Name:	turn.png Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	43235
          The premium-to-bluff ratio of 1.1 is too low since a turn bet will likely be all in. This problem, together with the poor quality of bluffs, will hurt the SB's profit. Also, AK, as a check-calling hand, carries some risk. The SB is already overfolding here since he has printed equity on the flop. I'm not sure if there are much better alternatives.

RIVER
          Click image for larger version  Name:	rvr.png Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	43724
          The premium-to-bluff ratio of 3 is higher than the required ratio of 2.4. The SB will therefore profit more from a loose Button caller.

TT and 99 are check-calling hands since they are close to or exceed the required 30% equity (120/403=30%).

(TT will lose to the Button's KQ,QJ,JT,66,55,22, totaling 42 combos.
          But TT beats 99,88,77,44, totaling 24 combos. So the equity of TT exceeds 30%)

(99 will lose to the Button's KQ,QJ,JT,TT,66,55,22, totaling 48 combos.
          But 99 beats 88,77,44, totaling 18 combos. So the equity of 99 is 28%, and the Button is loose)

Last edited by edy; 11-16-2020, 11:12 AM.

Comment

With the CO raising as a passive player, and a call by the BTN, I would the CO range as about 20% of starting hands. Most passive players do not get out of line with their raises. The flat by the BTN conveys a wide range of suited cards (excluding AK, AQ etc) and up to about 50% of starting hands. My three-bet would look like this: (Pre-flop raising range)

With the button being the only caller, this can constitute a very wide and possibly deceptive play at times. THE SB 3 bet looks pretty strong and a flat by the BTN can also seem strong at times. BUT at this level, rarely will the BTN be flatting with premium hands. After the flop of J♥-5♠-2♦, I am checking my entire range after the flop. Occasionally I would donk lead some of my weaker holdings just to keep my range less exploitable and my made hands, as the player we are against has a pretty wide range it seems. I am using this wide range I raised with to exploit the button to the maximum.

After betting $35 My range kooks like this as I would only continue with these hands:

When my opponent calls the $35, I suspect his range consists of largely what my range looks like, with a few exceptions. He/she would raise on QQ+, and two pair hands, and some backdoor draws. Flatting can be really strong sometimes, trying to trap.

So after the check...I would think the BTN would be on a draw, maybe have top pair weak kicker or just total air at times. Now my range on the river looks like this:

I would be betting my premium hands on the river for value, checking most of my marginal made hands, and evaluating my options if the BTN bets. Many of the marginal hands above will win at showdown. Should the BTN bet large or overbet, usually means a strong made hand. Any smaller bet I most likely would pay off some of the marginal pair or two pair hands. The stronger two pairs I would raise, and of course the sets.
            Last edited by fasteddief; 10-29-2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• kkep
              kkep commented
              Editing a comment
              You carried to many hands from flop to turn. On the turn you only get to have the hands you bet on the flop.

• fasteddief
              fasteddief commented
              Editing a comment
              Hopefully, this looks better. Any comments are appreciated....

• kkep
              kkep commented
              Editing a comment
              You have to show your junk, that is actually very important for learning this concept. On the flop all of the hands you bet pre-flop that you are not betting on the flop are either check back/check call (marginal made) or check fold (Junk). We are trying to balance our Premium made/draws/strong checking range and junk.

Typically but not exclusively to the BB we get to have a high percentage of junk on flops because we defend so wide. In this exact hand from the SB I happen to have a lot of junk on the turn (which might be a mistake) but I think it might be ok because I choose to bet my entire range on the flop.

jump to 13:45 and then 22:35 for an explanation of sorts on this. https://pc.pokercoaching.com/homework/watch.php?id=160

I have to assume the BB just sat down because I haven't been given any information, my strategy would change depending on who I have on my left. Population in these games tends to be very passive so there are a lot of speculative hands I would call with in this situation. Those hands would be folded with a competent aggressive BB on my left. A weak passive player opening to 5x is indicative of a fairly narrow range that could be 99+, AK, AQs, the loose BTN has by definition a wide capped range. My preflop strategy would be very linear.

On this dry disconnected flop I have a huge advantage vs a capped range, so I am betting 100% of my holding

besides the premium holdings i am shoving the diamond draws ( there is 170 in the pot with 120 behind) and checking the rest

I am checking TT that is still ahead of middle pairs, shove rivered top pairs and half of my AK as a bluff

Last edited by thefisheagle; 10-19-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

n a $1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy?

Comment

FIREFOX is still not pasting images.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R18-063470.png Views:	0 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	43061

Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J-5-2. What is your strategy?

The V should have more Jx and more sets but I think we still have the range advantage vs a loose player.
                I'm betting with everything on the flop. I think that is the most profitable play on this street.

Do we even get to have a checking range on the flop as the pre-flop aggressor from the SB in a 3bet pot?

Click image for larger version  Name:	R18-025414.png Views:	0 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	43062

Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6. What is your strategy?

Click image for larger version  Name:	R18-078666.png Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	43063

Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q. What is your strategy?

Since I bet range the flop and the turn checked through it only seems logical that I will have a lot of junk on the river so I can't imagine this not being fine...

I feel like AK is actually a decent bluff catcher since it blocks some of the V
                's value range like AQ(?) AJ KQ KJ

Click image for larger version  Name:	R19-047860.png Views:	149 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	43082

Editing these images has become a bit of a chore lately so I'm going to leave those above for fear of losing them and add my new turn and river range below.
                I typically wouldn't check top set on the turn but on this board it blocks almost all of the V's continuing range and I don't think the V gets to defend a lot of BDFD on the flop, it would be a small percentage of hands for sure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	turn.png Views:	18 Size:	79.9 KB ID:	43447

River, I'm not sure about defending 88 but I think I have to or risk drastically over folding.
                Great 5 attachment max so I can't add the river. grrrrrrrrr

Last edited by kkep; 11-03-2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

In a $1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy?Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis(12).png Views:	0 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	43121
                  • Started from 6-Max Implementable GTO chart, SB v CO
                  • We want to tighten up our 3-bet range because we're squeezing against 2 players.
                  • However we can be a bit looser since it's a weaker live game with less rake presumeably, and because our opponents are weak.
                  • Ultimately decided to 3-bet a little tighter, and add a calling range.
                  • Live 1/2 we can assume BB is also more often than not weak so we don't hate inviting them along giving us even better odds. A strong BB I would probably just 3-bet or fold from the SB.
                  • Flatting with hands that make strong hands and play well multiway getting good odds.
                  Assumed CO strategy:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis(13).png Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	43122

Assumed B strategy:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis(14).png Views:	0 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	43123

Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J-5-2. What is your strategy?
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis(15).png Views:	0 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	43124
                  Assumed B strategy:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (8).png Views:	345 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	43241

Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6. What is your strategy?

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis(17).png Views:	0 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	43127
                  Assumed B strategy:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis(19).png Views:	0 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	43128

Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q. What is your strategy?

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis(20).png Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	43129

Interested to see what others came up with for their answer, particularly our pre-flop strategy, and what assumptions we're making about our opponents. "Weak passive" and "loose" in a live 1/2 game could mean a lot of different things, especially the loose B, is he calling a lot of raising a lot?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dilly; 11-17-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

PREFLOP

As a weak passive player has raised 5X I'm expecting them to be doing this with just premium hands, so have gone with a linier 3 bet value strategy and then blocker, mid pair and low suited 1 gapers as bluffs, then I'm calling with hands that can flop well. I'm not too concerned with the loose button caller at this point.

FLOP

Checked KJo to strengthen checking range

TURN

Checked Jacks with intention to check raise

RIVER

Have ended up with no bluffs unless i turn a marginal hand in to one.
                    Last edited by Billy poker; 10-16-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Benno

November 2020 Homework

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Normaly I would play some more hands.... like A8,A7s,A6s,A2s and also K9s,Q9s,J9s against a CO open. But against a weak passive player I think its better to play a tigher range than normal. Maybe I should tighten it up even more. Because he also makes a big bet from 5 BB. When a passive player makes this kind of move they normaly have a strong range. And this kind of players don't fold so easy. And against a strong range my bluffs are in bad shape. I should consider folding some Ax hands and some lower pairs and KTs QT,T9. Because lets assume both players call. My weaker 3 bet range is in awful shape against both ranges. So it could be a better choice to just 3 bet with a strong linear range.

The other loose player could also call with a stronger range because he calls this big bet. So I think he fold a lot of junk. What makes his range stronger than a 3 BB open call.

The range is just the breakdown of my hands. Betting everthing on the flop!!!

Because I have the range advantage, I should bet small with 100% of my range.

Post Edited in FF by Support

I would normaly bet AJ. But when he calls it on the flop. His range seems stronger. And he could call me with hands that beat AJ. AJ. And with checking I'm protected to get raised on the turn and face a tough decision. So I can easly go to the turn and call a river bet with AJ. Most of the Axs hands don't need so much protection. Even when they are drawing hands the can win a showdown some portion of the time. Otherwise I could bet them.

Last edited by Gambit; 11-17-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Preflop

Name:	preflop.png
Views:	921
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	43111

Flop

Name:	flop.png
Views:	952
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	43114

Turn is checked thru

Name:	turn-checked thru.png
Views:	935
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	43112

River 7/6s sh/be green

Name:	river.png
Views:	937
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	43113
                        Last edited by Donn Pattinson; 10-20-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Because it is a weak passive player and a loose call I want to take over control off the pot. Meaning I decide to have only a 3B approach. I don’t see why I should change my normal 3B range because it is a weak player who will be more easy to play against and if I with a raise loose the BTN player will probably fold. Playing headsup mkes it easier, but if called by two I can represent some big pairs and very strong holding.

If I 3B I raise 3*10+10+1+2=43 or a little bit more

Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J-5♠-2. What is your strategy?

I am OOP but the flop will give me a range and nut advantage. I have all JJ, not 55 and 22 (a loose player could hold these) and all big pairs. No obvious draws or two pairs are expected from either players.

Because of Nut and range advantage I will bet often and small. I don’t suspect to be raised often because I have the nut advantage.
                          Total pot is now 45*2+10+2=102 Small bet 1/3= 33+

If he calls and it is a good player it means he has a marginal hand or a hand which he is floating. It means he has still a wide hand without all the junk.
                          I will bet with premium hands and draws but I don’t bet wit hall my premium made hands and draws. This makes also my calling range better protected and is an awnser to all the junk I have in my hand when I check the Turn.

Because I will end up with little too much junk I will use the Q (high card) as a bluf card and bet some completely junk (small cards) and small pairs (A2,A5) as a bluff.

Question: Sometimes I end up a situation like this and I am always wondering what to do when I am been reraised or if the person goes allin??? Any advice how to approach such a situation. In my mind I end up with calling of too much with my Marginal made hands or best made hands.
                          Last edited by Luck; 10-14-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Dilly
                            Dilly commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Great answer! On the river, what do you think about bluffing with some of your junk, we can size up to allow for more bluffs. The AX blocked may be enough to warrant a bluff when we have as many nut hands in our range.

As to your question, do you mean if you get raised on the river? If so, it really depends on the opponent. If we think they're only capable of raising 2P+ on the river as many 1/2 players are, we should be folding a lot. Against better players we can fold all of our bluffs, and try and defend at MDF....but based on the sizing it may be difficult for any Villain to bluff raise this river.

• kkep
                            kkep commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You carried hands you checked on the flop to the turn you also bring back combos on other streets that you no longer have.
                            You need to rework this
                            I can help you over in the forum if you like.. Start a thread and @ me
                            Last edited by kkep; 10-25-2020, 08:14 PM.

$1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy?
                          • Assume open raising to 5bb is standard in this context
                          • CO weak/passive, say PFR around 8, might be open raising Top 15% here – say, most broadways and all PPs
                          • BTN, being loose and IP, we can expect to call wider than he should, but not crazy wide given that there are players behind who might squeeze. Likely a capped range (top of range would definitely 3bet vs weak opener) that he wants to see a flop with and is OK playing multiway. But he won’t like a squeeze.
                          • Unknown who is in the BB – but important to know how aggressive they are – will assume they play standard.
                          • Calling means we will be OOP in a MWP, so not a good spot to be playing for lots of money. Our strong preference will be to take the pot down PF or get heads up vs the weak/passive. So no calling here, only 3betting.
                          • GTO … Facing CO RFI, SB should 3bet ~11%.
                          • Adjusting for circumstances, we should A) 3bet a little bit less vs a CO with a tighter range but weak player but B) 3bet a fair bit more versus a loose BTN call. Net net, I would tend to 3bet a little more as an adjustment.
                          • I would 3bet a linear range of top 13% of hands

Suppose you raise to $45 (23bb) and only the BTN calls.

Flop J 5 2 (pot $102, 51bb)
                          • SPR = 1.5 (78bb/51bb)
                          • BTN calling indicates stronger end of his initial calling range, but definitely capped to non-nut broadways, middle pairs and high density of suited & connected hands.
                          • Flop hits neither range particularly well. We both likely have JJ, but no other sets. Hero has all the overpairs and more overcards than villain, so that gives us marginal range advantage.
                          • Bet size requires 29% bluffs … 35/(70+50)
                          • Process … first step categorise
                            • Premium made (bet) … TPGK+
                            • Marginal made (check) … Below TPGK, mid & low pairs, decent Ax
                            • Draws (bet) … no OESD or GS, so using (mostly nut) BFDs & holdings with 2 overcards
                            • Junk (check) … worst bd draws, rest

Turn (J 5 2) 6 (pot $172, 86bb)
                          • SPR = 0.7 (60bb/86bb)
                          • Assume BTN, given the pot odds, will call at least one street with any pair, gutshots, overcards & Ace high backdoor flush draws, strengthening his range somewhat.
                          • Turn card is a brick for us, marginally better for Villain.
                          • We have a premium heavy range and very few pure draws left in our range.
                            • We will check some of our non-vulnerable premium hands to protect our checking range. So will check hands like AA, JJ, AJ
                            • We have 10 nutted flush draws AX, KX which we will mostly want to bet, but should have a couple in our checking range – will choose the highest ones that need least protection. We can look to overcards as replacement draws.

River (J 5 2 6) Q (pot $172, 86bb)
                          • River shove of 60bb implies 41% bluff ratio (60/146)
                          • Hard to reach that many bluffs as our range is value heavy allowing us to bet majority of our hands for value and check call

Last edited by MackerIRL; 10-16-2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I'll only be 3 betting or folding from the SB

When I get a fold from the original raiser and only the button calls , I can describe villains range as condensed. I think he will be continuing with most pocket pairs and alot of suited aces and kings.

so when I get a flop of , oh say

Jh 5s 2d , for strong made hands , I am only going to have 3 combos of sets, 18 combos of overpairs

and 3 combos of TPTK. I think I will want to have a checkraising range

I bet 1/3 pot and get a call in this 3bet pot, so I expect villain to respond by raising many top pair combos and overpairs, calling with sets to slowplay, and calling with alot of FDs and maybe TT or 99 sometimes.

think I wanna be ckecking more than betting on the turn. Im going to check overpairs except for queens, AJdd, and overcards that are not FDs.

If the turn checks thru and I get the Qc river, my range is KK+, AQo+. I will be checking all

combos , and only folding AKo.

Last edited by Anavar; 11-15-2020, 09:35 PM.

Comment

In a $1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy

Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6♦. What is your strategy? (adding KQo with daimond in hand for a bluff because Kd or Qd is blocking callingrange)

Last edited by Martin; 11-17-2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

In a $1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind.

What is your strategy?

I am going to 3-bet a little wider than the exploitable charts for 100bb cash. With the Btn being a 'loose' call, that puts pressure on EP and also might fold out some of the Btn's range. What they don't fold, they may continue with junky hands that fold to a post flop bet facing one or maybe two opponents. If EP 4-bets us as a weak passive player, I'm folding almost everything except AK and KK+.

Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J♥-5♠-2♦.

What is your strategy?

Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6♦. (Pot = ~$180)

What is your strategy?

Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q♣.

What is your strategy?

Comment

Comment

• Deep stacked I want to be 3-betting Linear but trying to get the weak CO Heads up
                                    • I don't mind cold calling a few speculative hands OOP this deep for a cheap price that will be easy to get away from on the flop

• When I decide to 3bet, I will be Cbetting my entire range on such a dry board. I expect to get called by a lot of Ax that I dominate, Jx and smaller pairs 55-TT
                                    • I will be betting a small bet size (25%-33%)

• Sticking with the plan if I have ranged the Btn correctly, I will barrel my TP+ for value and all my diamond FD and gutshots as bluffs all-in.
                                    • I can check some Ax and underpairs looking to check-call a bet and see how the River develops or fold with no added equity
                                    • Seeing as the Btn is loose I am expecting him to bet when checked to so to protect my checking range I am also checking AA and JJ to check-raise shove if he does bet small or call off if he shoves

• I think the Q hits my range more than Btn. The only combos he might have are QJ (x 9) that called the flop
                                    • For this reason I think I can get away with some bluffs with my worst hands to account for the fact that I am now very value heavy even though the Turn went ck-ck

• If I check and he shoves River I will need to defend 29% - (120 / 412 = 0.29)
                                    • My calling range beats all his Ax and missed draws, 2x-TT and I think only a portion of his betting range is Jx. If he is loose he is more likely to bluff when he has little/ no showdown at the River

Webinar notes:
                                    Last edited by Simon B; 10-17-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

n progress
                                      In a $1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy ?
                                      • My range is fairly tight for 2 reason. 1) I expect most weak, passive player in a 1/2 game to limp with almost their entire range so when the CO 5x RFI I expect they have a strong starting hand. 2) I'll be OOP for the whole hand and with the BTN calling that means that the equity of my hand is reduce plus I still have the BB to act behind me.
                                      • Most of the time I will not flat call from the SB but when I do I keep to hands that have good playability after the flop. My 3 betting range will be linear and will consist of the strongest remaining hand in my range.

Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J-5♠-2. What is your strategy?
                                      • I'll C-bet my entire range on the flop since the BTN is describe as being a loose player. The player description does not say how aggressive the BTN is only that they are loose, so my response to a raise from them will vary based on my read. Against a more aggressive play I might see one more street with my entire Draw(bet) range. Against a more passive player I'd be more likely to fold out most if not all of the Draw(bet) range.

• I don't expect my to have JJ very often, since I think they would have 3bet preflop with it or check raised me on the flop. They do have 55 in there range and possible 22 but I expect they most likely would have folded this to the 3bet preflop. I don't see any 2 pair hands, even for a loose player J5, J2 or 52 is very loose call against a 3bet. They might have 65s but there are only 2 combos of this, so after the flop call I would generally see them with a pocket pair less than a J or some JXs hand.

Last edited by SeanT; 11-13-2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Pot 102, Per flopzilla we have a 60% rng adv and 10% more TP+ so we can rng bet here.
                                        T9c should be junk.

Pot 172, btn loose so calls wide say 70% of his rng but rngs are closer now.
                                        T9s,h,c should be junk.

Last edited by slacker; 10-22-2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Problems pasting graphics to forum.

See additional post below.

Last edited by M R; 10-25-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• kkep
                                            kkep commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            I'm using FF and what is working now is saving the image to file then uploading it. Copy and paste might work with Chrome but I'm not sure.

• Raddad_101213
                                            Raddad_101213 commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            i use chrome, after selecting create image for forum, i just right click image and copy, then paste in reply box

preflop

click image for larger version  name:	image_9314.png views:	3 size:	108.1 kb id:	43085

flop

click image for larger version  name:	image_9315.png views:	3 size:	122.7 kb id:	43086

turn

Name:	image_9313.png
Views:	971
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	43084

river

Name:	image_9312.png
Views:	973
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	43087
                                          Last edited by RIPAces; 10-19-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls (pot $170, $120 stacks). The turn is the 6♦. What is your strategy?

Last edited by Mike Rashid; 10-26-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Larry H; 10-20-2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

In general, I want to exploit the CO, although that is balanced by the loose BTN, who might 4-bet with a wide range. Also, I think it’s significant whether the player in the BB plays well, which the question doesn’t address.

For all raises, I would bet about $50.

With a caller on the BTN and a good BB, I don’t want a calling range from the SB.

If the BB is weak, either a loose passive or a calling station, I would have a large calling range, because it’s less likely that the BB would 4-bet. Here’s my pre-flop range with a weak BB:

Using the first range, the strong BB range, shown above:

Comment

Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q♣. What is your strategy

Comment

First time doing the homework on here. I'm still not sure I am using the suit selections correctly but this is what I came up with...

I went with a 100% raising strategy because we are in the small blind facing an initial raise from a passive player. I would raise a little on the larger size hoping for folds since we will be forced to play the hand out of position if called.

We were called by the button and the flop favors their range more than ours so I will be C-betting often on the smaller size.

It looks like we do opt for a C-bet of about 1/3 pot, little bigger than I would have preferred but a 2nd diamond does give us more equity for a lot of our back door draws to continue.

Because we now have a very bet heavy range I opted to check back Aces and Kings to help balance my checking range.

We end up checking the turn bringing in the Queen on the river leaving us with a couple of hands to bet for value and one to check call and another to check fold. No obvious draws make it home on the river so I think we can confidently bet on the larger size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	43172 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	99.0 KB ID:	43173 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	93.8 KB ID:	43174 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	43175
                                                    Last edited by guyphillips365@gmail.com; 10-21-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Since there is no ante and the opponent raised a significant multiple of the BB, my entire continuing range from the SB is played as a 3-bet. Since I have no calling range, my continuing range will be linear. Even though I have both the CO and BU to get through, my 3-bet range will be slightly wider than it would be if BU had folded because there is more pseudo-dead money in the pot as BU’s range is wide, weak, and condensed (capped).

From the SB I 3-bet to 4x the initial open size by default, and then add on the $10 cold-call from the BTN, making a 3-bet to $50 with my entire continuing range, which is:
                                                      (212 combos, 15.99%) 55+, A7s+, A5s-A4s, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T8s+, ATo+, KJo+

FLOP:

Since I have a strong range advantage on this flop against a single opponent, I’m going to cbet 0.33PSB ($35 is close enough) with my entire range at 100% frequency. Sized 0.33PSB because the board is very dry, and the SPR is very low (1.55 arriving to the flop). The SPR is so low that even when cbetting only 0.33PSB, there isn’t going to be sufficient stack depth to play for three streets ($170 in the middle and $120 behind heading to the turn).

TURN:

This card improves very few hands in either player’s range, so I maintain my range advantage from the flop and the opponent’s range remains likely condensed (capped). Thus, I should continue to bet at a high frequency. My flop bet was sized small, so the opponent’s range will still contain many hands that will fold to a turn barrel.

I won’t barrel with my entire range though, because some hands in my range won’t function well as a bet. These are the hands that have non-robust equity and are not worried about being outdrawn. Barreling these hands won’t function well either to make the pot bigger in case I win or to deny the opponent the ability to realize their equity (EX: Jh9h or TdTs).

I’m jamming this range for “value” :
                                                      Sets (9 combos)
                                                      Overpairs (18 combos)
                                                      Top-pair KJ/AJ (16 combos)

Jamming all my flush draws would likely be “bluffing” too much (with 43 “value” and 20 “bluff” combos, and my opponent getting $290-$120 or 2.4-1 odds). Since the SPR is very low and my particular opponent is “loose”, I’m concerned with including too many “bluffs” in my range. If I have to check some flush-draws to keep from bluffing too often, since all my non-A-high-flush-draws have virtually no showdown value, I’d rather bluff with those combos and check some of my AdXd combos. If I check Ad5d and AdKd, that leaves a barrel range of 43 “value” combos and 18 “bluff” combos, which makes the opponent, getting pot odds of 2.4-1, roughly indifferent to calling with bluff-catchers.

Since this particular opponent is loose, I might also jam QJ combos. Likely all my JX could be profitably jammed against a loose opponent, but by checking hands like JTs, J9s I have some hands that can confidently check-call when facing BU’s turn jams, or something with which to potentially bluff-catch rivers if BU checks back turn.

This leaves me betting with 61/191 combos on this turn, for a barreling frequency of ~32%, which seems too low given this particular turn card (I predict a solver solution to achieve a barreling frequency around 60% on this particular turn). Barreling all JX and flush-draws increases the frequency only to ~38%. I can barrel even wider still, betting TT-no-diamond (3 combos), 99-no-diamond (3 combos), and Th9h, Tc9c, Ts9s, Th8h, Tc8c, Ts8s, getting the frequency up to ~44%. Including these extra bets, however, leaves my checking range very weak, condensed, and potentially exploitable.

I will check-call facing a turn jam with: QJs, JTs, J9s, pocket-tens-without-any-diamond, pocket-nines-without-any-diamond, perhaps wider depending on the particular opponent.

RIVER:

Bet for value:
                                                      QQ (3)
                                                      AQo (9), KQo (9)
                                                      QJs (if I decided to check it on turn), Q9s (3), QTs (3),

Making for about 27 value combos.

Bluff (about 12 combos): K-high, some A-high (prioritizing ATs and A9s because of blockers, and A4s because it’s the weakest A-high)

KcTc, KhTh, KsTs, Kc9c, Kh9h, Ks9s, AcTc, AhTh, AsTs, Ac9c, Ah9h, As9s, Ac4c, Ah4h, As4s,

Check-call facing a jam:
                                                      JTs, J9s, potentially wider depending on the opponent, and with those additional calling hands like TT I would prefer to unblock diamonds.

This means I am very often check-folding facing a jam on this river, but that seems fine given that typical opponents at this level won’t have much of a bluffing frequency in that situation. Perhaps the opponent could be jamming this river with A-high, but typical opponents won’t turn one-pair hands into bluffs in that situation.

Sorry for not including more images but I'm new here and unfamiliar with the range analyzer tool. I used Equilab to work through the ranges.

Comment

First homework and it was hard!

Analysis: Player on the button is loose, so we can assume his range is large. That being said, we are out of position so I'm not going too crazy here.
                                                      Pre-flop: I'm calling a lot out of position, but I am betting with some strong hands as well as a few weak hands that could turn into something nice on the flop
                                                      Flop: Most of my range hit this flop (which makes me think it may have been too shallow), so I'm betting with most of it and only checking a few junk hands/marginal hands
                                                      Turn: More of my draws become junk, and only betting with a few hands. Since we checked the turn, that takes out most of my range. On to the river!
                                                      River: As played, with my assumed range, we only have a few premium hands we can bet, the rest we check. Not sure if I should put in AKo as a marginal made hand, because it has some showdown value if my opponent just has something like AdTd that missed a draw completely.

Comment

--In a $1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy?

Look to 3-bet wide using a Linear range since we are in the SB. This will often cause the CO to fold(weak passive), and the BUT will call with a very weak and wide range.
                                                        3-bet about 15%: All suited Broadways, KJo+, QJo, ATo+, 87s+, 77+, A8s+

--Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J?-5?-2?. What is your strategy?

Dry flop, cbet small(1/3-1/2 pot) with 100% of my range, plan to barrel on good turn cards, check on blanks.

--Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6?. What is your strategy?

Bet about 1/2-2/3 pot with any diamond draws, KJ+, 87s, AK, AQ,

Check QJ, all medium pairs worse than QJ and garbage

--Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q?. What is your strategy?

Bet big(2/3-pot) with diamond draws, KJ+, 87s, AK, AQ (Shouldn't be in range after checking however)

Bet 1/2 pot with QJ for value vs his wide river range. Check Call with all other marginal medium pair type hands. We will avoid big river check raise bluffs due to the loose nature of the BUT and because he has the nut advantage with more 2 pairs and sets than us.

Comment

Preflop

Name:	preflop.png
Views:	935
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	43233

Flop
                                                          Click image for larger version  Name:	flop.png Views:	0 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	43228
                                                          Turn
                                                          Click image for larger version  Name:	turn.png Views:	0 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	43229
                                                          River

Name:	river.png
Views:	931
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	43234

Fully aware not balanced but looking to understand better from the results.
                                                          Any comments appreciated.
                                                          Last edited by wannabe; 10-24-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

See attached.

See attached.

See attached.

See attached.

Having a lot of problems pasting graphics from the range analyzer. I reported it to support. Tried using Chrome, Explorer, and Edge. No difference.
                                                            Attached Files

Comment

Betting entire range here due to lack of draws and junk.

Comment

Primarily we should be concerning our self with the strength of the initial raisers range as the button caller is unlikely to have a very strong hand as he would probably have 3 bet himself. Against stronger opponents i would use SB v CO range but seeing as the initial raiser is weak/passive i will move up one range and start with SB v BTN 100bb range.

Name:	SBvCO 100bb.png
Views:	954
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	43285

Comment

PREFLOP:

My default strategy from the SB is 3-bet or fold, I don't see any reason to change that here.
                                                                  I don't want to be OOP against 2 players. I expect my 3-bet to generate a lot of folds against a "weak" player and a loose BTN player that shouldn't have that strong on a calling range here.

That said, a strategy where I call with mid-low pocket pairs and some suited connectors could also work well. It's very face up but since we're against weaker players and if the BB is also weak it should work well and does allow us to open more hands. I'm going to stick to the 3-bet only approach since I'm less comfortable playing multiway.

FLOP:

SPR: 1.5

This flop is pretty blank - although opponent could have 55 and maybe JJ at some frequency, we still should have a decent range advantage here.
                                                                  His range is capped and we have overpairs and some strong Jx.
                                                                  I'm betting here with my entire range with a small bet sizing (maybe 1/3 pot). I think he's going to find it very difficult to defend at anywhere near MDF.

TURN:

The turn card is probably better for our opponent than it is for us since we've no 6x in our range and he may have some.
                                                                  But there's no turn card here that's that scary for us. His range will have strengthened some after losing some junk on the turn but he'll still of had to float with some weak hands.
                                                                  With the SPR so low here I'm happy to check back some strong hands like JJ that don't really need protection and can get it all in on the river regardless. This will keep my checking range protected.
                                                                  Having a hard time find natural bluffs here, that's probably down to the board being so dry. Betting KT and QT as bluffs since they're the hands in my range with the worst showdown value.

RIVER:

I'm left here without any bluffs for the river. The Q is a good card for us here, we have a lot of hands that improve to top pair.
                                                                  I feel like we should be betting more bluffs but it feels wrong to bet AK because if it goes check-check we win at showdown a decent amount considering our opponent should've floated the flop with some of his A-high and would likely check down with a lot of these hands. Also against a loose player on this board, I don't see us folding out many mid pairs that he might have here.
                                                                  So super value heavy river here;

Comment

• Dilly
                                                                    Dilly commented
                                                                    Editing a comment
                                                                    When you 3-bet pre, and cbet the rainbow flop, and Villain calls, it significantly diminishes the showdown value of our holdings like AK and 88, which might lead us to turning them into bluffs.

PRE-FLOP: I 3! to $45

Name:	FTT Range Analysis.png
Views:	946
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	43311

ANALYSIS:

For this homework, I'm reading a lot into CO's 5x open. If 5x is CO's (or this table's) common open-sizing, my analysis below and play above doesn't apply.

Weak passive 5x raise implies CO likes their hand. Not expecting many bluffs b/c of passive style and large sizing. Wouldn't be surprised to see {AQ+, QQ-88}, although more surprised by {AQ, QQ, 88} than {AK, JJ-99}.

Loose BU call implies a wide, capped range, but less wide b/c of 5x raise.

ADJUSTMENTS:

I should respond tighter than I would vs. a standard 3x CO raise. I should switch from the standard R/F strategy for SB v. CO to a R/C/F strategy because of CO's sizing and a 2nd player already in the pot.

SPR CONSIDERATIONS:

I'm getting 20:1 to call so I can call with all pairs and whichever suited connectors I want.

PROBLEMS/QUESTIONS with the strategy above:

I'm under-bluffing vs. a weak/passive open. Is this a mistake? I think it's OK b/c we are multiway, I'm OoP, and I expect that CO likes their hand more than usual.

FLOP: J-5-2♦; I bet $35

I have the range advantage. BTN has nut advantage, by far. (I don’t have 55, 22 or JJ. BTN can have all of these, with 22 being less likely.)

My PM (Premium-Made) on this very dry board is 39% of my range, therefore I'm going to bet my entire range.

TURN: (J-5-2♦) 6♦; I check

Name:	FTT Range Analysis-2.png
Views:	948
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	43312

If I classify 65s, AJo and the over-pairs as PM, I can't find enough draws and my checking range would be unprotected. Instead I'm going to move some normally PM hands to MM (Marginally-Made) to protect my checking range and improve my PM/Draw ratio. I've chosen to move AA to MM (rather than QQ or KK) because AA is less vulnerable to a free card.

Even after moving these hands, I'm under-bluffing. Is this a mistake? I think it's okay b/c I think BTN's most likely range is now: KJs, QJs, JTs, TT, 99, 88, 77, 66, and maybe Ah5h or Ad5d; plus slow-played flopped sets: 55, JJ, and maybe 22.

RIVER: (J-5-26♦) Q♣: Bet $120 (all in)

Name:	FTT Range Analysis-3.png
Views:	940
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	43313

I'm confused about bet sizing here. When I'm bluffing, I'm trying to get JTs, TT, 99, 88, 77 and Ah5h/Ad5d to fold. When I'm value-betting, I'm trying to get many of the same hands to call (i.e. JTs, TT, 99, 88, and 77 plus KJs). This makes it hard for me to decide on bet size here.

I'm polarized (33%bluff/66%value) so I should bet on the larger side, right? I have no nuts in my range so I should bet smaller. I feel like betting $65 with my value hands and $100 with my bluffs, but that's suicide against observant opponents. My bluffs are all AK so if I bet more than half pot ($85), am I really going to fold to a raise of $35 or less? This makes me reluctantly decide to go all-in with all my river bets.

When I check, I'm planning on calling AJo and I might even have to call 76s depending on the size of V's bet. Even with this, I'm over-folding when I check. Is this a mistake? It seems okay because it's hard for me to find any busted draws for BTN to bluff with, and if BTN is turning a pair into a bluff, it still might beat my A5s & 76s.

Comment

Pre:

Normally facing a 5x open my range would adjust to be significantly tighter, but considering the weak, passive and loose nature of CO and BU i only adjust fractionally tighter, sizing to approx $45

Flop: $103

On the Flop considering Buttons loose weak range, our large range advantage, we can quite comfortably bet our entire range and put pressure on the large amount of air/junk in Buttons range, however due to no clear nut advantage and being oop we should bet range for 1/3 pot. But conceivably 2/3 would also be appropriate.

Turn: $173

18 combos of Marginal/Junk that are underneath the Backdoor draws that arnt shown on Analyzer, can this be fixed?

AA can be bet or checked to strengthen checking range, and all AKs can also be bet as draws. all non diamond AKs and AQs if not bet become check calls, all other non diamond broadways are check folds.

Exactly or close to 1:1 value to Bluff ratio maintained on turn. checking range defending approx 70% (dependent on facing villain bet size)

when checked as played range becomes:

River $173

Possibility of villain slowplaying some monsters that crush our river value range in this spot (we have mostly TPTK), however with only 2/3 pot behind this wont affect my shoving range in any large way. But will bluff slightly less.

I consider this line pretty balanced and reasonable following your guidelines. Feedback would be much appreciated.

P.s I posted on the forum recently a question regarding how MDF applies in situations when we have significant range disadvantage. Specifically as the preflop caller. BB vs LJ, HJ call vs CO 3bet Etc. How do we reconcile defending at the required MDF enough to not be exploitable but then having too much junk in our range to meet this number. Would you be able to spend a minute clarifying this at the end of the webinar? thankyou.
                                                                    Last edited by Wood; 10-27-2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Dilly
                                                                      Dilly commented
                                                                      Editing a comment
                                                                      In the Range Analyzer, to the right of the Color/Action feature, there is an adjustment feature, type the number of combos you want to add to each action and it will show up.

As to the MDF question, if we want to defend at MDF, we need to be floating and raising with more speculative hands. We can float BDFDs, junky pairs, over cards, etc. And we can raise with junkier draws, hands that block strong hands (bottom pairs that block sets, Over cards that block top pairs, etc.) The real question isn't HOW do we defend at MDF, it's SHOULD we defend at MDF at all. Remember we only care about MDF against balanced players who are bluffing at correct frequencies, or LAGs bluffing too often. If a Villain is only value betting (extreme example,) MDF goes out the window....often going to be the case at low stakes. If our only "mistake" is over-folding to a player who is under-bluffing, that's probably fine.

• Wood
                                                                      Wood commented
                                                                      Editing a comment
                                                                      Oh cool i didnt notice that feature. Thanks for that

I suppose i should clarify somewhat, I understand that MDF doesnt apply to imbalanced opponents that dont bluff at the correct frequency (underbluff). Im saying assuming that we are against an opponent who does value and bluff at correct frequencies and where our range and our opponents are relatively standard, in some situations where the board favours our opponent quite significantly. how/should we defend at MDF?

heres the link to my forum question example:

https://forum.pokercoaching.com/foru...-mdf-correctly

• Dilly
                                                                      Dilly commented
                                                                      Editing a comment
                                                                      Lot of good stuff in there kkep and LondonImp are both very sharp.

Ultimately the answer is we either need to reach or over-fold and the answer is very often over-folding. Remember that over-folding is just making their bluffs immediately profitable, but we are going to be in situations where the optimal strategy is to pick the lesser of all evils, the strategy that loses the least. Think about BB where basically every player loses, the crushers just lose the least.

Apestyles talks about similar stuff in his defending cbets as the BB chapter in Excelling at Tough No Limit Hold Em Games.

I have decided against these players that we get to have a calling range, mostly with hands that can flop strong hands or hands with great playability, these are likely weaker players and I therefore believe our raising range should be somewhat linear, with some other hands to gain some board coverage on different boards. This is why 76s, A5s and 88 is played as a raise, although I believe these are more partials and initially they can be mixed as raises and calls depending on our reads. With a raise and a call, we get to squeeze a bit more profitably with some weaker hands as well. With a weak passive player raising from the CO and the BTN calls (who is loose) we get to play even more hands, given that we believe we are stronger than these two players. I have elected to call with some suited connectors and weaker pairs, as we arelikely to get called at least by one player if we raise. 22-77 either flops great or very poorely making it hard to play against a wide range oop. If we get raised by the weak passive player we will be very carefull when we continue, likely calling with hands that get to flop quite well or are just generally strong.

The flop comes J♥-5♠-2♦. What is your strategy?

We can potentially bet range on this flop, seeing it is super dry. I have decided that TT, 88, A5s, AK, AQ and KQ are marginal made hands in this setup. This is mainly due to the fact that there is not a lot of hands that beat us on this board, where we do not have any playability. We can check-call these hands a lot and see what develops on the turn, where we can continue a lot with these hands on overcards and a T, we also sometimes have the best hand. If we care about balance and wish to have a checking range (which I have assumed here, these hands play well as check calls). I have some junk in my range, which is basically the hands in blue with no backdoor flush draw, this is 7 combinations, and if we check-fold these hands we are not easily exploited. I have for that reason decided that we want to bet with our A4s, 76s JTs, QTs and JTs with backdoor flushdraws.

The turn is the 6♦. What is your strategy?

This is a great card for our bluffs containing 2 diamonds, we get to bluff and have him fold out some A-hi floats and some K-hi floats which have us dominated for the most part. Given though, that we only bluff with these cards, we might be not be bluffing enough, seeing as I have way less draws than value hands at this point. My solution was therefore to check some hands that need little protection, which also futures a diamond. This, simply put, means we get to check-call these hands on both turn and river regardless of the runout (from a balanced point of view). These hands are JJ (set) and AA and KK containing a diamond, we have very few marginal made hands. Especially seing as I did not bet A5, TT, 88, AK, AQ and KQ on the flop, this also means we have very little junk. The junk I have in my range is the hands with backdoor draws on the flop which did not improve to a flush draw.

I still feel like I am not bluffing enough at this point, which means I probably should expand my range on the flop, or expand it pre flop.

The turn goes check-check. We are likely to be against a marginal made hand at this point, I would not expect villain to check back his sets or top pair. Making it more likely the villain has TT-77 and 44 or 33. He can have some 5x, and a few 6x depending on the strategy of our opponent. I can see some A6s and K6s floats on the flop, which on the turn paired up and beats all our high card hands but not our value hands that we checked back. Alternatively he can have some air here which would fold to any bet, if we only believe him to have a marginal made hand we can bluff the two combos of 76s as well. This makes it very close to balanced with our bluffs in the end. I decided to include Q8s as a marginal made hand, even though it is top pair. This is simply becuase it is the worst queen in our range and therefore we can check-call to bluffcatch, this is similar to JT, which also becomes a very clear marginal made hand on the river.
                                                                    Seeing as the villain did not bluff the turn, I think its more likely he has a marginal made hand, rather than a strong hand such as QJ. Allthough I would not put it past the villain to have AQ and KQ in his range. I would decide to size up with my AA, KK and JJ (slowplays on the turn) to get called by a queen or jack wanting to hero. This could be combined with some of our bluffs sizing up as well. If 76s is turned into a bluff I would like to size this up as well, seeing as we want to get a marginal made hand such as TT, 99, 77, 88 to fold.
                                                                    We can develop a smaller size as well with QT to get called by a jack, but this could be exploited if we dont balance it with some strong hands. I think on this river I would be pushing a lot ($120 into a pot of $170), and this would be my main size. I would likely jam with AA, KK, JJ and the bluffs. And depending on the villain, bluff less and include QT or not value QT at all and rather check-call.

Comment

Against better players I won't have much of a calling range from the small-blind. However, against weaker opponents I think it's worthwhile to see flops somewhat wide

Because our 3-bet range is so strong I think we can range bet this flop, except for giving up with the wheel aces without a backdoor flushdraw. Btn has gone call-call which is a very condensed range. Continuing with 2 overcard hands because they block Btn's better Jacks, as well and TPTK+

Not quite achieving the 1:1 value to bluff ratio on the turn, but this is becoming quite a narrow spot. I'm 2-barrelling a lot because the 6 should not interact with Btn's range much at all except for 66 that peeled flop

I'm two-barrelling a lot, check check on the turn means I only have some of my worst hands left. I also think the Queen is better for Villain's turn checking range than ours. If Btn bets we retain some Jacks that can call, but are mostly folding

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nov2020pre.png Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	43418

Want to be 3-betting with the strongest parts of my range along with hands that will play decently well when called. Im okay with having a flatting range against villians I believe to be playing very wide and will be prone to mistakes postflop because they are playing too many hands.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nov2020flop.png Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	43419
                                                                          When I 3bet pre, I think I should be range betting this dry board. I have all the over pairs and JJ in my range, the vilian shouldn't have those in his range when he just flats the initial raise and the 3bet. By checking any part of my range I give the loose vilian the betting lead and I will have a real hard time continuing with a lot of my range since it consists of some medium strength hands that I dont want play passively OOP. Also a decent amount of those hands can improve on the turn and allow me to keep barreling, this is another reason to be range betting. If I get raised on the flop I can fold all my junk and continue with hands that have decent equity depending on the sizing he chooses to raise with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nov2020turn.png Views:	0 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	43420

With the turn bringing the diamond draw I betting all my good diamond draws, straight draws, all my overpairs, and good top pairs. The weaker top pairs and lower pair hands go into my checking range this gives me the option of calling turn bets against villain's who I believe will bluff when checked too.

Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q♣. What is your strategy

Name:	Nov2020river.png
Views:	900
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	43424
                                                                          I will be having a all in range on the river, the pot 183 with 120 behind. By shoving Im targeting the villain's Jx hands, missed flush draws, 5x hands. I will bet call off with all my Qx hands, check call off with my Jx hands, check fold my junk. Against a villain who I believe to be loose and capable of bluffing rivers I think calling off with my Jx hands would be a profitable call
                                                                          Last edited by Crondo79; 10-31-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (PF).png
Views:	910
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	43427

Using the SB vs CO RFI, I would use the 3-bet or fold strategy. Since the BTN is a loose player and the CO is a weak, passive player, I added a few more hands than suggested. Instead of 3-betting with 16.7% of hands, I 3-bet 18.9% of hands. Also, since we are 100bbs deep, I added more of the suited gappers to my 3-betting bluff range instead of the offsuit broadway type hands, as the offsuit broadway type hands most likely align more with their initial raising strategy. I think the right play is to raise with more suited gappers as bluffs since they fall below their calling range.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (F).png
Views:	927
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	43428

I found it hard to come up with obvious draws when I first started building this range. This made my premium made hands to draws roughly one to one. Since I wasn’t bluffing enough, I decided to bet all of my backdoor flushes and backdoor straights. With the loose player being the player who called my 3-bet preflop, I think I could probably bet small with 100% of my range since I have a slight range advantage and I believe the nut advantage. I am checking top pair marginal kicker, and most likely check-calling if Button bets. I went back and forth with betting more than the few suited Aces. Not sure I made the right play here with these hand types.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (T).png
Views:	917
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	43429

I am continuing on this turn with all of my diamond draws and my open-ended straight/gutshot straight draws. I now have roughly 2:1 premium made to draws which means I should probably be betting more draws on this turn. Conversely, I now have too much junk in my range, which means I was betting too wide on the flop. This goes back to opening wider preflop because I was against a loose player and a passive player.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (R).png
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	43430

Since I checked the turn, I lost a lot of the diamond draws and open-ended/backdoor straight draws that I was betting. That being said, I am still bluffing this river some portion of the time, especially since the opponent called my flop bet and checked behind on the turn. I think this caps his range to be a marginal Jack. I elected to check my marginal Queens with the intention of calling a river bet. Though I think this play loses some value, as this player is loose. Also, if I think his range is capped at a Jack, I should probably be betting something like 1/3 pot, as I think a Jack would call that bet size. I am checking my Ace highs as they still have showdown value some portion of the time.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comment

• kkep
                                                                              kkep commented
                                                                              Editing a comment
                                                                              I think you probably have to many 3! *bluffs*.

I also thought about splitting up my flop range. The reason why I bet range is for the same reason you considered. Not enough draws. For example I wouldn't mind checking TT in a 3! pot on this flop but I do want to bet all my combos that need some protection, in this case 44, 66-99 5x combos and 2x combos and of course all my value hands so that left me Cbetting range, small.

Another thing to consider is I don't think we have to check call with our BD Draws in 3! pots. So combo's like A6s - A9s are probably going to be check folds the way you are playing the flop. Maybe we peel with the some of the gutters with BDFD and the A high, like A3s and A4s but hitting the Ace can get dicey so I'm not sure about those. For me it would depend on the V's bet sizing.

I also think that the fact that BD draws should be mucked in 3! pots is another reason why we want to range bet this dry flop OOP every time. That said if we know for sure the V is a calling station and will defend to wide (which we don't) then we should probably start check calling more of our MM hands and just take them to value town with our best hands and some of our best draws.

I also think you left your checking range way to vulnerable on the turn. Since the V can have AJ KJ you probably want to start checking JT QJ and probably KJ too.

We might even check our set of Jacks now. There aren't any draws that concern me to much and while the V may defend pairs like 77-TT and maybe some overs like AQ AT KQ on the flop they are all give ups when we bet the turn and having a set of Jacks heavily blocks his JX range. Interesting spot for me actually. I'm curious how JL plays that combo on the turn. He rarely checks sets so...

This exercise is making me go back and check my set of jacks on the turn

• capoccij
                                                                              capoccij commented
                                                                              Editing a comment
                                                                              I know what you mean about checking some hands on the flop that we 3-bet pf, but, like you said, I think c-betting our entire range using a small sizing makes a lot more sense. I agree about check-folding some of our backdoor draws and like you said, possibly calling depending on the bet-sizing.

I agree with what you said about checking the turn with hands like JT, QJ, and possibly KJ because otherwise I am only checking AK, AQ, KQ, 86, 76, and my random s/h hands little to no equity.

I am not sure I would check my set of Jacks though. JL does rarely check his sets lol. I think if the Button was a LAG who would attack a pot when checked to, there would be merit in checking to induce a bluff with your PM hands and betting MM hands.

Thanks for the feedback, kkep! It is greatly appreciated!

• kkep
                                                                              kkep commented
                                                                              Editing a comment
                                                                              TBH I'm not sure about checking top set either. As you said sometimes he says never check sets but sometimes he actually does check top set when it's hard for the V to continue calling. We almost never check bottom or middle set for sure, definitely not on this board.

here is m yretyping as i did not use range analyzer but will try to fgure it now asap. AS it is annoying as there are not known my first 2 cards but i was told already here that i should make my own strategy basing on existing information. I would check here but it is not based on any deep analysis range patterns is rather because of my rather poor skills in field but will read your answers now so may found some useful information how to prepare myself better next time [and figure it ou range analyzer]

Comment

• kkep
                                                                              kkep commented
                                                                              Editing a comment
                                                                              When I was doing my first HW it felt strange not knowing our hole cards. This is a great tool tho so I suggest working with it. I use it to review certain hand histories too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAd4nu4LyR4
                                                                              Last edited by kkep; 11-09-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• #48
                                                                              First time taking part in the PkrCoaching H/W.
                                                                              A few of the concerns I have with my answer are:
                                                                              -Not having a flat calling range preflop
                                                                              -not having enough flushes in my checking range if the diamonds come in
                                                                              -Having a lot of marginal made hands in my river checking range that I really don't like calling with
                                                                              -Not confident about betting entire range on the flop, although I think given my range advantage I don't think its terrible.

Not entirely sure how to deal with the larger raise size, I would like to flat call with 2s through 6s but don't know what else to call with to balance this range.

Look forward to any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
                                                                              Last edited by SeanHaz; 11-03-2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• #49
                                                                                Question:

Name:	Nov20 Homework Preflop Range.png
Views:	907
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	43496

I am not going to have a calling range from the SB against a CO open, especially in a cash game where I would rather not pay rake and be out of position. I started with the GTO SB vs CO 3 bet chart and folded some of the worse hands but the range is close to what I would 3 bet if the button folded. I am assuming from the question that the button is calling very wide with a weak range. I think there is a good chance I win this preflop or play against a weak button range.

Name:	Nov20 Homework Flop Range.png
Views:	895
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	43497

I don't think the flop is especially great for me but I probably have a range advantage. I think it's possible the button has JJ, though not always, and probably always has 55 like I do and 22 which I don't. So I don't think I have a clear nut advantage. I do have overpairs which the button does not have. The button will have more combinations of Jx. The button could have 2 pairs if he is really loose but then he will also have so much junk that we can bet more often. I calculated a possible button range in Equilab and it showed I have a 55% range advantage. I decided not to bet 100% of my range here though I think doing so is defensible. Instead I will bet most of my top pairs for value, and any hand with a backdoor flush draw as a bluff.

Name:	Nov20 Homework TurnRange.png
Views:	897
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	43498

The 6 is not good for my range as I have almost no 6x hands except for A6hh and A6ss that I bluffed on the flop. I will continue bluffing with the diamond flush draws and A4s and A3s. I checked all Jx except AJ to strengthen my marginal made range, and even AJ I could see checking, but I don't my premium to draw ratio to go lower either.

Name:	Nov20 Homework River Range.png
Views:	909
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	43499
                                                                                Now I think when the button checks back the turn, he doesn't have a lot of strong hands. I am go to bet any top pair and better for value. I think the button will have almost no Qx hands at this point, and since we think he is loose, he should call with Jx on this river. Though preflop loose doesn't always translate to loose postflop. I chose A4s and A3s as my bluffs because they block the nuts 43, which I think some loose players could have on the button. The other option is to bluff 87s and 98s and check A4 and A3 because A high could be good here. Any bet here is all in given the stack sizes at this point.

Comment

• #50

Name:	Nov.1.png
Views:	890
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	43510

Natural break down of hand post flop, but as the pre flop 3 bettor i would bet 45 with entire range

Name:	Nov.2.png
Views:	905
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	43511

Name:	Nov.3.png
Views:	906
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	43512

felt I was a little tilted toward premium made and marginal vs my draws and bluffs. I would treat A5d as a draw rather than marginal made. could consider KQo as junk as well

Name:	Nov.4.png
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	43513

Comment

• #51
                                                                                    I would normally only have a 3 bet range but because the the CO is weak passive and a loose B player calls, I think i can flat with some hands that play pretty well post flop by hitting a nut hand, big draw or can easily be folded. In a normal 1/2 game the BB probably isnt great so I can let him in the hand. I also dont want too many bluffs as the CO's raise is pretty strong since he is passive and he raised.

On a Jh5s2d flop as the 3 better I am going to bet small with my entire range, prob around 1/3 to 1/4 pot. Since the flop is very uncoordinated.

On a 6d turn it is not great for my range and better for villian. So i will be checking a decent amount. I had a hard time finding draws to bet so i threw KQ in there as its 2 overs but little showdown value. I also will bet my 5s with a diamond draw and check other fives.

On a Qc river I think i get to bluff a lot because a Q hits my range pretty hard. Since i bet KQ on the turn it actually doesn't in this exact hand but it would a lot of the time. I would probably use a pretty large sizing of 3/4 to pot bet to get middle pairs to fold, maybe even over pot since my opponents hand is pretty capped with his turn check. I also have enough hands I can check call with to protect my checking range.

Comment

• #52

(NB This is the first homework question I've done. Are they always this hard work??)

The weak CO has raised x4. Is that large for this game? Are they unsure of how to play a premium hand, or a troublesome medium pair or broadway? Are they wanting everyone to fold and they get the blinds?

The loose BTN just calls. They won't be trapping with a premium hand with the blinds yet to act, so this implies they want to play against the weak CO, so they probably have a very wide range with no premium holdings.

We have no info on the BB. Assume an average player.

My range considerations:
                                                                                      • I'd 3 bet my premium hands. I think 3 bet squeezing would be profitable, though BB is yet to act, and the loose BTN may see my squeeze for what it is and call. I'd expect the weak CO to only call/4 bet (?) with premium holdings
                                                                                      • I'd call to set mine with other pocket pairs. Call also with the best-suited connectors, high valued suited aces, and KQo and AJo.
                                                                                      • I'd 3 bet bluff with A2s-A5s and maybe ATo & A9o.

Name:	preflop-range.png
Views:	920
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	43531

This flop will have missed most of my 3 bet range. I have the top pairs in my 3 bet range but though few Jx combos. The only possible monster is trip Jacks.

It would have hit the loose BTN better. They have more Jx in their 3 bet calling range, but no premium pairs except maybe JJ?

Name:	flop-range.png
Views:	914
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	43534

Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6d. What is your strategy?

I don't think the 6d helped either me or the BTN. I'm check-calling the most of my range now. My best holding is a set of Jacks which I'd bet. I'd bluff with my Kx & Qx rubbish.

Name:	turn-range.png
Views:	921
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	43532

Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Qc. What is your strategy?

I seem to have very few cards left in my range.... Trip queens I bet for value; KQs is a check-call bluff catcher as are AA and KK.

Name:	river-range.png
Views:	931
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	43530
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• #53

Option 1: Fancy Play

Option 2: Pure 3B

The blue range has 35% equity vs QQ+, AKs, AKo. Assuming a “standard” 4 bet of ~2.5X, I should be calling roughly $60 for a pot ~$215, that’s ~28% equity, but we have to assume I won’t realize it well OOP facing a 4 bet.

I shouldn’t have to worry about a 4 bet all that often, but I think it’s good to think about. And if the CO calls my 3bet I don’t think I can discount QQ+ or AK as he’s “passive” and might not have a 4 betting range at all.

I kind of like Option 1. With a limper, there’s value in expanding the range to include a bunch of limps that flop well multiway. But then the BB comes a long too.

Meh. 3bet only is probably the right range. We’ll go with that.

FLOP ($102 Pot, $155 behind) J♥-5♠-2♦

Dry board with a single high card. I have basically zero draws here and we’ve established the BTN is “loose, so I’m going to go with 100% C-bet, but keep it small ($30) because 3B pot OOP.

TURN ($172 Pot, $120 behind) J♥-5♠-2♦-6♦

Since we range bet on the flop and got called, it’s time to slow down and start checking with a big percentage of our range. We’re going to keep barreling with most of our premium stuff and good draws. We have $120 behind so “barreling” means going all in for a 70% pot size bet.

We also need to be sure to protect our checking range with some hands we can call an all in with.

Note that there are 18 suited combos (diamonds) not shown here. So total range is 207 combos. Of the diamond combos not shown we’re check calling AJd, A4d, and A3d (3 combos) A4d and A3d are close. You need 29% equity. 9 diamond outs, 4 gut shot outs, and 3 aces gives you ~32% equity. Assuming all those outs are good. The aces are very sketch. Jd and 5d pair the board. Etc. I don’t love those calls. If overfolding is a reasonable exploit, don’t mess around with these hands

We’re jamming the other 15 flush draws to round out our bluffing range. This is overbluffing slightly, but even after he called the flop bet, you have a big range advantage.

Barrel 45 combos or 22% of range (AJ, KK, QQ, JJ, flush draws and 78s except KFd, QJd, etc. those are a check call.)

Of the barrel range:
                                                                                        • 26 combos or 58% of betting range are “value”
                                                                                        • 19 combos or 42% of betting range are a bluff

Check 162 combos or 78% of range

Of the checking range:
                                                                                        • Check call 41 combos or 25% of checking range. This is slightly below MDF, but close enough (sets, two pair, AA, top pair, and pocket 99s and TTs. Oh and 6s because it blocks him turning a set.)
                                                                                        • Check fold 121 combos or 75% of checking range.. Don’t have enough equity to call gut shots like 54s or 98s. TT and 99 are tough to fold. Have to draw the line somewhere. I put it between them. I think I’m losing TT a lot here, but folding is a little too nitty I think.

RIVER ($172 pot, $120 behind) J♥-5♠-2♦-6♦-Q♣

Check/Check is pretty good for me I think. He has a lot of Qs so my jacks are now vulnerable. I think I’m checking those hoping for a showdown. I still have quite a few queens too. Bet the stronger ones, use the others as bluff catchers. If I want to maintain MDF, I need to call with all my Jacks too I think.

Jamming with 45 combos or 30% of range.

Of the jamming range:
                                                                                        • 27 combos or 60% are value - AA, AQ, QJ, sets and two pair
                                                                                        • 18 combos or 40% are bluffs - hands with ZERO showdown value: 89s, T9s, KTs, K9s and A3/A4. Reasoning - On the off chance he has 34s, I’d rather bluff with something that blocks the nuts than not. Also these are the weakest Ax in my range. This

Checking with 106 combos or 70% of range

Of the checking range:

31 combos or 29% are a check call (QX, JX, TT, and my AJd leftover from turn)

75 combos or 71% are a check fold (small pairs and Ax - all of these hands have varying amounts of showdown value, but not zero. I lose a fair amount when it goes check/check, but I win sometimes too. I hate giving up on this many hands, but I just can’t see turning these marginal hands into value-bluffs.

Comment

• Dilly
                                                                                          Dilly commented
                                                                                          Editing a comment
                                                                                          Few things to consider:
                                                                                          --Against a 4-bet consider each holdings equity against that 4-bet range....hands like JTs are not in good shape. Also consider equity realization not just raw equity, we're going to under-realize our equity OOP.
                                                                                          --To the right of the labels in the range analyzer is an adjustment tool, you can type a number into the field and it increases the combos in that label by that many--for the diamond combos you're not folding on the turn
                                                                                          --Our checking range on the turn is very weak, we're going to be folding almost all of it to bet turn, bet river, on many run outs,
                                                                                          --On the river you included hands you wouldn't have AA,66,55, etc, all the hands you would have bet turn with, you no longer have because we checked turn.

• catfishwizard
                                                                                          catfishwizard commented
                                                                                          Editing a comment
                                                                                          Hi Dilly,

Thanks for the tip about the range adjustment tool. I will try that out next time.

You are definitely right about considering individual hand equity vs the 4bet. I looked at this again after posting and realized that this is showing a theoretical continuation range that is way too loose against the average 4 bet in a $1/2 game. I probably should have just labeled them "3 bet for value" and "3 bet for lesser value" like some of the other posts I've seen here.

Perhaps it's not clear on the turn because I used the pink color as my check-call range? But of the ~162 combos in the checking range (pink and grey), I'm ready to go to the mat with 42 of them (i.e. call an all in, or call turn and river if the opponent uses a smaller bet size on the turn). Sure 25% is a little bit below 30% minimum defence frequency (70% pot bet remains behind), but I disagree that it's "very weak". AA, 66, 55, 56 etc were all placed in the checking range explicitly because I didn't want it to be too weak, so I absolutely do have them here on the river after it goes check/check.

From my post:

"Since we range bet on the flop and got called, it’s time to slow down and start checking with a big percentage of our range. We’re going to keep barreling with most of our premium stuff and good draws. We have $120 behind so “barreling” means going all in for a 70% pot size bet.

We also need to be sure to protect our checking range with some hands we can call an all in with."

Thanks for the comments!

• #54

Betting with everything.

Comment

• #55

With a CO open and a call from the BT I prefer to not have a calling range. I isolate with strong hands and balance them with hands which I would fold in case of a 4-bet.

The board is very dry, so I choose some backdoors as draws to balance my premiums while betting. Marginals and junk I check.

My premiums I prefer to bet on this Turn. On this Turn only very little draws are left to balance. Should I play a looser range preflop?

Given my opponent do not have many potential bluffs left in his range and all QJ improved to a 2-pair, I want to check all my range for showdown.

Comment

• Scotty
                                                                                            Scotty commented
                                                                                            Editing a comment
                                                                                            You have everything on the river marked as a check-fold, including AQs. Do you really want to fold top-pair-top-kicker to one bet after you've checked the turn and checked the river?

• Lobster
                                                                                            Lobster commented
                                                                                            Editing a comment
                                                                                            This is depending of the sizing, I would call up to a 50% pot size bet with AQ.

• #56

Main villain is weak/passive so 5x pot raise doesn't scare me off from raising my normal range. Loose caller on the BTN isn't overly intimidating either.
                                                                                          ​​​​​​

Betting my usual range

We checked so I'm assuming we don't have a J

Basically riding on Queens at this point. Checking everything else. If BTN raises probably folding.

Comment

• kkep
                                                                                            kkep commented
                                                                                            Editing a comment
                                                                                            This doesn't work. You are playing completely face up. Please understand I'm not saying this to be harsh.

I can see this is your first assignment so I suggest looking at some of the previous HW Webinars.

We are trying to be balanced for the most part.

If you only bet your best hands and never bluff you will be easy to play against.

That is most basic concept you will learn first.

• SplashyHK
                                                                                            SplashyHK commented
                                                                                            Editing a comment
                                                                                            Thanks, you're right, it is my first assignment. I have just started following here. I did a few of the other assignments over the weekend with a similar strategy. Thanks for the advice, I will add in more bluffs.

• kkep
                                                                                            kkep commented
                                                                                            Editing a comment
                                                                                            A 3! pot OOP isn't the easiest to get you feet wet with either. Generally with want to 2 bluffs for every value hand on the flop, 1-1 on the turn and they river bet sizing determines the ratio on the river.

Whatever hands you check on the flop you do so expecting to be able to call a bet with either when we check them to a player in position or on the turn.

Those are just some of the basic concepts he is teaching here.

• #57
                                                                                          It's been a busy month -- better late than never....

While I'm inclined to attack weak players, when they raise to 5bb despite being labeled "passive," they generally have a pretty good hand. The loose BTN caller may have a wide range -- unless she has a similar read on the CO as I do. I will 3! or fold with a very tight range of my best hands and some hands that are likely not dominated & have potential to cooler a strong opening range.

I would not expect the weak/passive opener to have too many hands in their opening range that would fold to a 3!, but maybe they're weaker than they are passive. Evem though the BTN is loose, their call should tighten their range somewhat (but, it's still capped). I should have the range advantage on this dry board and, to a lesser extent, the nut advantage, too. BTN shouldn't have top set or any over-pairs, but might have the other sets which I lack. Noone should have any 2pr. I want to bet frequently and in a small amount. In fact, I will bet ~1/3 pot with my entire range.

The 6d largely misses both players' ranges. The BTN wouldn't necessarily raise my flop bet with even premium holdings and should have folded out some portion, so their range has strengthened and mine has not. I will now bet infrequently but still in a small amount. I'm checking AA-KK (which are least likely to be outdrawn) to strengthen my checking range. Although the Board is getting wetter, there aren't too many bdfd or low connected cards in BTN's range to protect against.

9 AQo w/o the Ad are added to marginal
                                                                                          12 non-diamond ATs, KQs, T9s and 98s are added to Junk

The Q is probably slightly better for my range than V's, since they may have folded some unpaired Qs to my flop bet & may not have had AQ to begin with.

The pot is $170 and we have $120 behind. A shove will offer V 2.4:1.0 odds, so I should have roughly 2.4 value hands for each bluff. This works out quite naturally if I shove TPTK+ and bluff with all my junk. I am, however, unsure how to treat AK, since it could win at showdown, but I'm certainly not happy calling off with it. If I check & V shoves, I have to call with at least 16 combos to meet MDF.

AKs w a bdfd on the flop (all but AcKc) are included in Junk, because they block V's A-highs that might take this line and bluff the river.
                                                                                          8 AKo (all but 3 w/ the Ac & AdKc) are included in Junk.
                                                                                          Last edited by bengoshidesu; 11-09-2020, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• #58
                                                                                            place holder

Comment

• #59
                                                                                              >> In a 1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy? <<

Without any information on the BB´s strategy I will neither assume he is good or weak. Considering there are two players behind me, which are assumed to be weak and Possibly raising a little too wide let me tend to apply a fold-3Bet strategy. While I don‘t mind to keep at least one of the players in the pot I 3 bet with the intention to fold out at least one opponent to be headsup postflop. Since I assume the loose button player to be more likely to call I‘ll use a slightly wider 3 Bet range (see range analyzer link below) consisting of some more 3-Bet bluffs (compared to a strong linear range vs a good player). Additionally, being on the button indicates a wide range as well.

Playing 100 BB effective and OOP I 3-bet on the larger side about 4x initial raise + limped amount = USD 50

——————

>> Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J♥-5♠-2♦. What is your strategy?

With my strong range advantage (all overpairs, various top pairs, sets and backdoor (nut) flush draws) on this uncoordinated board I c-bet frequently with my entire range. Thus, small amount, e.g. 1/3 pot.

——————

>> Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6♦. What is your strategy? <<

Turn rather strengthens Button range, not mine, but I see most of my range still ahead And strong enough to check-call. Although, opponent might also check turn with most of his flop calling range, eg J-x type of hands, I think I don,t loose much value, because either he bets his J-high hands on most rivers which I can call or he might even bluff a worse hand (or missed draw), which folds if I bet. Either way I might get 2 streets of value and additionally protect my equity by pot controlling (not opening myself to a check raise situation).

——————

>> Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q♣. What is your strategy? <<

——————

River Queen rather improves my range and considering he did check turn, his flop calling (river checking) range could quite some J-x hands as well as pocket pairs or middle/bottom pair hands.

While I bet the value part of my range (J or better) on the lower side, eg 1/2 pot (to get called by worse pairs) I bet my bluffs (A-high with no pair, pocket pair T-T or worse) rather a little higher, eg 2/3 pot/pot to make him fold middle/ mid pocket pair or bottom pair.

Not quite sure/convinced I can make him fold a Jack though. Thus, not sure if I should use the queen for a eg 1.5x pot bet. Guess that either pot size bet does the trick or not. This, no need to risk more.

First homework submitted Curious about the other answers!

Cheers
                                                                                              /Chris
                                                                                              Last edited by Christian Kramer; 11-09-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• #60

Comment

• #61
                                                                                                  I approached this from the point of view of ranging the villains, because I am using this not only for my homework but for a 30-day challenge i am taking for hand- and range-reading villains.

Weak, passive players do not raise very wide, so I am giving them a fairly tight range: TT+, AJs+, AQo+

How wide is the loose player on the button going to call? I think they will three-bet premium pairs and AK, and call with a bunch of things: all pocket pairs except premiums, suited connectors down to 54s, suited gappers down to 86s, all the suited aces except AKs, and all the broadway combos, suited and offsuit alike, except for AKs and AKo.

[
                                                                                                  We don't want to play multi-way out of position and we don't want to give the big blind a chance to squeeze, so we are playing three-bet-or-fold here.

The trouble is that the CO's range is really tight, so we need to be tight ourselves. BTN's dead money sweetens the pot a bit. We want a linear range against players who have difficulty finding their fold button.

Here is a range I think will do (maybe it is too nitty): JJ+, AJs+, KQs, AKo

I am counting AA and KK as my Value hands, and JJ-QQ, AJs+, KQs, and AJo+ as my Lesser Value hands.

There is $102 in the pot, less rake.

We have a massive range advantage versus the villain, but only comparatively small nut advantage. We both have top set, but we have all the overpairs and they do not. However, we do not have any 55 or 22 in our range and the villain does.

With a high and two low cards, the flop is really dry. The villain does not have any OESD combos, but some A4s and A3s for gutshots. I think this is a spot for range betting, and I think our bet size should be small, due to our less-than-stellar nut advantage

The pot, before rake, is now $172.

We now have four flush-draw combos, three of which are to the nut flush, and one of which (AdJd) also represents top-pair-top-kicker. The villain has 66 for three more combos of sets. Their 87s for OESDs folded out on the flop.

I think that there is enough that the villain could call a bet with that if we are playing purely exploitatively we can bet with all our pairs at this poing. However, if we do, our checkback range is naked, and the villain can bluff us off of the river. So let's check with our AJ and QQ combos, and let us bet with our flush draws. If we want to have roughly balanced value bets and bluffs (do we?) we could bet all of our unimproved AX a pair-draw semibluffs.

When checked to, I have the villain betting their sets, TPTK, and flush draws, and checking everything else.

We only have three combos of QQ here for top set, two KQs for top pair, and three AJs for second pair. There is $170 in the pot and $120 in our stack. The villain has AQ combos that we do not, and some QJ combos. Betting our KQ does not seem like a big idea to me.

If we shove with one combo of AJs (Pick one that doesn't block missed diamond draws) and our three QQ combos, then we are bluffing very slightly too often. Or, we can recognize that this is a 1-2 game and the population over-calls, under-bluffs, and just shove with our QQ. If we think there is a likelihood that the villain would bluffcatch with JX or even a smaller pair, maybe we can also shove our KQ.

If we check and the villain shoves, we can call with our KQ.

Comment

• #62

*Still betting with Ad7d (forgot to adjust)
                                                                                                    ​​​​​​​

Comment

• #63
                                                                                                      In a $1/$2 cash game with 100bb stacks, a weak, passive player raises to $10 from the CO and a loose player calls on the BTN. You are in the small blind. What is your strategy? With a weak passive player raising, and hero being OOP, I have a 3bet or fold strategy with a linear range.

Suppose you raise to $45 and only the BTN calls. The flop comes J♥-5♠-2♦. What is your strategy? I have a range advantage but not much of a nut advantage as villain has 55 and 22 as i do not. So i am betting small and frequent with my entire range. (AJo is supposed to be marked premium)

Suppose you bet $35 and the opponent calls. The turn is the 6♦. What is your strategy? I am checking my good A highs that have some SDV, also decide to protect my checking range with KK and QQ after i realized betting all strong hands left me very unbalanced.

Suppose you check and the opponent checks back. The river is the Q♣. What is your strategy? To have the proper 2:1 value to bluff ratio, i pick my worse A high hands to bluff with, and value bet TP and better

Comment

• Dilly
                                                                                                        Dilly commented
                                                                                                        Editing a comment
                                                                                                        Great answer! On the river KQo is marked as junk which I'm assuming was an oversight? If we bet KQ here, maybe bluffing ATo and A9s makes sense?

• Raddad_101213
                                                                                                        Raddad_101213 commented
                                                                                                        Editing a comment
                                                                                                        yep totally missed KQo, thanks.

• #64
                                                                                                      Question:

Pre-Flop

The CO villain is weak-passive and raising 5x. The villain is weak and using a large sizing, and so is probably doing that with a snug range. That should lead me 3-betting more with hands that will be folded to this villain's 4-bet.

The loose villain on the button is flatting. This villain may or may not be adjusting to the initial raiser as well.

In framing my response, the CO's action, will lead me to take adjust toward 3-betting more frequently than I ordinarily would with a linear range. I should also plan on folding more frequently to the CO's 4-bet. Should the button 4-bet instead, call down with some of the extra hands that were 3-bet.

This should provide post-flop exploits for either villain if they can be isolated pre-flop.

Flop

Turn

River