April 2020 Homework Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 2020 Homework Challenge

Everyone folds to the CO, a loose, aggressive player, who raises to 2 big blinds. The action folds to you in the big blind with a 15bb effective stack. What is your strategy?

Suppose you call. The flop comes T
    -7-6. You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T
    -7-6)-9. What is your strategy?

Suppose you check and the opponent goes all-in for 8bb. What is your strategy?

Preflop: Im assuming 1BBA

Tweaked a little from the 15bb charts as this is a min raise vs a LAG

Flop: This is more implementable than it looks. Im betting all Flush Draws, OES, and GS w/ BDFD all w/o pairs for draws,

Im also way off for MDF, however overfolding is ok as we got such great odds preflop!

Since I have a 2:1 bluff/value ratio, I should be using a pot sized raise with my range.
    Pot size raise = (3x2)+5.5=11.5
    So I think going all in for my remaining 13bb is best for how I have my range structured vs a LAG.
    Last edited by trent walker; 03-15-2020, 05:56 AM.

Comment

BB's preflop strategy:

Click image for larger version  Name:	0412 BB pre.png Views:	0 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	35979

Flop:
      I have 78 premium made hands. Even if I allocate the maximum 156 hands for draws, I still have 141 junks hands
      and 210 marginal made hands. So keeping the 7 to 3 'marginal made' to 'junk' ratio is not possible.

So I assume I can loosen up the range of marginal made hands to include weaker hands.

My premium and drawing hands are very strong, so I check-raise to create fold equity for the turn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0412 BB flop 0 14 0 66.png Views:	0 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	35980

Turn:
      The turn card 9h improves my range equity a lot. I will assume all bets will be all-in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0412 BB turn 0 3 0 0.png Views:	0 Size:	104.4 KB ID:	35981
      If I bet, my fold equity will be strong (after check-raising on the flop).

CO may not call a turn shove, but he may be willing to move in if I check the turn to induce a bet. This might have answered the question: Why check-raise the flop and get an excellent turn card, but stop betting?

When the LAG goes all-in, my 'MDF' is 64%. I will call with 100% of hands in my check-calling range.

If the LAG takes a free card, I'll shove the river.
      Last edited by edy; 04-12-2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Everyone folds to the CO, a loose, aggressive player, who raises to 2 big blinds. The action folds to you in the big blind with a 15bb effective stack. What is your strategy?

So I have used the standard GTO chart from the site for 15BB.

Suppose you call. The flop comes T♣-7♥-6♥. You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T♣-7♥-6♥)-9♥. What is your strategy?

Last edited by Peter Bermingham; 04-11-2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Short stack definitely not being my forte, going to go through this once with my guesses at ranges then do a second round consulting the charts.

Assumed CO range:

Our BB Strategy:

• We definitely want to be defending very wide against a 2BB raise, even at 15BB deep, and we definitely want to have a push/call/fold strategy.
          • The above feels about right but I'm thinking we might want to be a bit wider even.
          • I think we are jamming a lot of strong hands, not sure how balanced we need to be, CO should be wide, but if we're only 15BB deep they should also be inclined to call of somewhat frequently.
          • Bluffs are junkier parts of our range ,not strong enough to call (maybe) but with some equity, and I went for having full board coverage.
            • Picking bluffs here is something I know very little about, and I'm wondering if there's a lot of grey area here, many potential candidates, the frequency being more important.

Suppose you call. The flop comes T♣-7-6. You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Assumed CO Strategy:

• LAG may even be looser than this with more bluffs, so we're going to want to play back aggressively.

Our strategy:

• MDF is 60% (1BB ante), we're good there.
          • TP is probably good enough to get it all in with <2SPR against a LAG.
            • Was concerned with our check calling range being too weak, so I added all the TP w/ FD to calling range.
          • X-Jamming the weaker draws is somewhat aggressive but I really like how this allows us to play so much of our range against a LAG opponent.

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T♣-7-6)-9. What is your strategy?

When the CO faces our XR MDF is ~58% so his strategy against the XR might be:

Initially I thought this was a problem, because we have no flushes, and we probably should mix in some weak flush draws with our weak straight draw bluffs. But with 8BB behind and 15BB in the pot, our shove puts a ~65% MDF on the opponent, which is going to be tough to adhere to.

Our turn strategy:
          • The 9h looks really good for our BB range, but I used only straight draws as bluffs, calling with most the flush draws. Definitely merit to mixing in weak flush draws and maybe calling with some of the stronger gut shots.
          • Only ~20% of opponents range is a made flush with ~21% being TP with a FD. With the other 60% of the opponent's range, it's going to be tough to call our shove, and the MDF is ~65%--opponent will have to call with all over pairs.
            • Opponent is LAG, our bluffs will get called often, and our made hands will lose to flushes often.
          • Because of the above, going with the below strategy of only counting set of 7s that can become the nuts as premium.

• Calling a little above MDF against LAG opponent.

My calling strategy is above, CO jam might look like:

We have an issue, against this range we have 13.4% equity and we need more like 25% for our call to be profitable. However, if LAG opponent also shoves all of his over-pairs on the river it becomes golden.

Going to first redo this diversifying my flop raising range, will then do a third go through with the starting ranges from PCP.

Last edited by Dilly; 03-25-2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Suppose you call. The flop comes T♣-7-6. You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

In past times, i would not typically have small re-raise option in this situation. I would either shove, call or fold to the continuation bet. This certainly allows us to continue with more hands i think.

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T♣-7-6)-9. What is your strategy?

For the below i made the following hand adjustments:
            1. I put the offsuit broadway 8s with a heart in the draw range (broadway heart)
            2. I put the offsuit briadway 9s with a heart in the draw range
            3. The AA nad KK with the heart is in the draw/ jam category.

So now i call it off as follows.

I didnt have many flushes as i bet them on the. As i went through it, i thought perhaps i should have few more flushes in the checking range. Maybe add some checked flushes which would help my breakdown percentage. I just didnt have many A high flushes available, which would have been good to check on the turn.

Last edited by RDOLBEARE; 04-05-2020, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-04-A.png Views:	30 Size:	90.5 KB ID:	35928
              15BB chart is being used as a starting point.

Suppose you call. The flop comes T♣-7♥-6♥. You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?
              Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-04-B.png Views:	29 Size:	112.1 KB ID:	35929
              I'm flatting with some of the best combo draws to avoid semi-bluffing too much. I'm also trying to make sure that my check/calling range has some Tens in it.

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T♣-7♥-6♥)-9♥. What is your strategy?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-C.png
Views:	170
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	35959
              I'm working to protect my checking range by putting some flushes and all straights in it. We've also got a number of two pair combos. I figure that if the worst hand in your check/calling range is aces then you're probably not doing too bad.

Name:	2020-04-D.png
Views:	170
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	35960
              The bet is 8 into 15.5. MDF is 15.5 / 23.5 = 65.9% = 66%. I'm folding as much as I can while staying above the MDF, which might not be the right mindset. I'm mucking any T (that isn't the Th) and worse. AA and better is calling.

Basically, I'm check/folding the top pair combos that don't have a heart, though given the stack sizes I'm not certain about that.

Can we check/fold a T here after putting in half of our 15BB? That seems crazy to me but what did he call the check/raise with? If he jams the turn is KcTd a call? Perhaps the fact that I'm in this spot means that I shouldn't have raised hands like that on the flop. I'm not sure about this one.
              Last edited by McLovin; 04-12-2020, 12:23 AM.

Comment

15 BB preflop charts - BB vs CO RFI

For a Lag in position these are weak bets to keep me in the pot? I should be raising for information and value.

Last edited by mrfazh; 03-15-2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	0320200001.PNG Views:	0 Size:	271.3 KB ID:	35765

Check-raising the flop w/ Ah9x - Ah8x - Ah7x - Kh9x - Kh8x for BDNFD / BDSD and as Blockers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0320200002.PNG Views:	0 Size:	324.9 KB ID:	35766

When I check-raise my opponents flop bet, I assume they'll be shoving w/ most of their made hands & strong draws at this stack dept (4combos of 98s, 3combos of TT and 5combos of draws with overcards & flush-draw).

Click image for larger version  Name:	0320200003.PNG Views:	0 Size:	283.1 KB ID:	35767

Click image for larger version  Name:	0320200004.PNG Views:	0 Size:	277.5 KB ID:	35768
                  Last edited by Lod; 04-05-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Larry H; 03-21-2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Last edited by SeanT; 04-12-2020, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Preflop strategy:

Name:	Preflop.png
Views:	450
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	35298

Flop strategy:

Name:	Flop.png
Views:	454
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	35299

Turn strategy:

Name:	Turn.png
Views:	453
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	35300

Comment

This is going to need some explanation...

...and in actuality it probably looks more like this...

...which may need even more explanation.

Last edited by reeeeeeper; 03-23-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Placeholder

Comment

Tags: None

Comment

Suppose you call. The flop comes T-7-6. You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Last edited by kkep; 03-15-2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Check whole range because LAG after calling flop raise have range advantage. In the other hand I have chance to check down marginal hands and I have chance to get some bluffs with my nut hands.
                                  Last edited by Martin; 04-12-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Starting with the 15BB GTO charts

Suppose you call. The flop comes T-7-6. You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

I am checking 100% of my range. Any 1-pair hands except AA I'm considering marginal made as the board is very coordinated.

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T-7-6)-9. What is your strategy?
                                    Betting premium made hands and draws. Checking marginal made and junk.

Last edited by v1rotate; 04-09-2020, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Suppose you call. The flop comes T♣-7♥-6♥. You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds into 5.5bb pot. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T♣-7♥-6♥)-9♥ (pot 15.5bb). What is your strategy?

NOTE: 8h5h (straight flush) should be checked on the turn.

Last edited by Mike Rashid; 04-11-2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Please hold...

Comment

Kjelon

Admittedly, I have spent very little time working on my tournament game, so this will likely be a muddle through situation and I'll do my best from what I remember from 15 years ago when I last really played tournaments. I'll start with basic 15bb GTO strategy:

Pot 4.5bb - As this is likely a point in the tournament I need to win pots, I choose to x/r with my best made hands (AA and two pair+) and best draws (including BDFD with the K or A of diamonds).

Pot 14.5bb (8bb behind) - I would shove all my premiums and Ad or Kd hands as draws.

I'm left with my two-pair hands as calling. The only hand still in my range that the turn card changed to junk is A5ss,dd,cc, so I'm calling with my 14 two-pair hands. Very possibly down to four outs, but the alternative of being less aggressive on the turn by checking my better made hands and draws (after x/r flop) feels just as bad as folding two pair against a LAG, even on this scary board.

Last edited by Kjelon; 03-18-2020, 11:46 PM.

Comment

WIP
                                            Question:

Suppose you call.
                                            Meaning only my hands in blue are still in.
                                            The flop comes T♣-7♥-6♥.
                                            I will first check with everything. So my whole range is still in.
                                            You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

I will fold my junk, Raise my best premium hands to 5BB and my best draws. I will balance this 50/50. The rest of my worst draws, the better draws and premium hands I will go allin. The Marginal hands I will call with some draws.

Again I check with everything and wait what he will do. Because this is a very good card for me I will call his bet with all my hands. Maybe I could decide AA without Ah or 98c,s,d to fold if he shows he has a fkush. But because it is a loose player he could be bluffing and I decide to call him off.

Last edited by Luck; 04-12-2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

- This flop is better for our range than the PFR. The pot is 6.5 BB prior to my action. I'm going to check my entire range. the opponent is Loose and Aggr, he will continue to put money in the pot.

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T-7-6)-9. What is your strategy?

This one is playing mind games w me...

Last edited by Blrnz94; 03-17-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• I would be looking to get all in at this effective blind stack with any pair and any good draw
                                                • I will use my junky draws with overs for bluffing along with my good draws that I don't plan on folding
                                                • If I get jammed on after check-raising my junky draws I will still be folding the 5x, 4x, 32 even after putting in near half my stack as it is better to stay in with 8bb than have close to zero showdown equity
                                                • I am reluctantly going to have to call with my gutshots with an over as these have 28% equity vs his jamming range of overpairs, top pairs, 2 pair, sets and straights

• Even though the flush came in, I am never folding straights so I might as well bet them to deny equity and my small flushes to protect against another heart on the River giving them a bigger flush
                                                • I want to try and induce a bluff so I will check my big flushes that are never folding and if he checks back, I still get to bet the River
                                                • I plan on check-calling all my top pair and 2 pair hands. These would be an easy fold if the stacks were a lot deeper but are too strong to fold at this stage. We would be hoping to get to showdown where they would still be good a lot of the time. Our opponent can still have a lot of overs and 1 pair hands that they called with that we beat.

• Sticking to the plan we are calling with our remaining flushes and good top pair and 2 pair hands
                                                • Our marginal 9s can be folded

Webinar Notes
                                                - At shorter stacks, our draw:value ratio can be closer to 1:1 or even slightly less draws
                                                - We can overfold more on the flop because of the great odds we were getting preflop
                                                - At short stack depths, Pio likes to slowplay ALL strong hands (TP+)
                                                - We need to be able to defend MDF when V shoves. We must not overfold - keep our checking range strong with some good TP and A/K flushes to make our calling decision easy when V does shove

Last edited by Simon B; 04-13-2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

tough stuff, mostly agree with Simon

pot 7.5 bb, 13bb left, 2:1 spr, mdf 73%, you don't have range advantage, no sets, can have str8,2 pairs, flush & str8 draws, opn can have all of these & over pairs

pot 17.5bb, 8bb left, opn has set, 2 pair, pair, over cards

t8h s/h been prem
                                                  pot 25.5bb, 3:1 pot odds, mdf 69%, need to be good 25%, defiantly call str8 flushes, flushes, str8s, 2 pair and 1 pair boarder line

Last edited by slacker; 03-19-2020, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I will try to determine an average range that this loose aggressive CO can have in this situation:

Click image for larger version  Name:	range d'open de CO et range de call BB.png Views:	0 Size:	115.3 KB ID:	35861

Now here is my strategy :

Click image for larger version  Name:	strategie preflop BB vs CO challenge avril 2020.PNG Views:	0 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	35862

CO, with his condensed range, has a massive range advantage here ( about 56% / 44% ), having 2/3 of the sets (us none) and all the overpairs (us just AA), most of the good top pairs (us all of them).
                                                    But we have the nut advantage because we have a higher concentration of 2 pairs hands suited and offsuited ( CO only suited), all the suited and offsuited combos of straights ( CO only the suited)

I think we have to play cautiously and not check-raise any top pair here because of our range disadvantage and try to realize our equity with our strong marginal made hands.

Click image for larger version  Name:	strategie flop BB vs CO challenge avril 2020.PNG Views:	0 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	35863

I am raising with my premium hands and my best draws and combo draws.

Q9o, J9o and 95o are combos with a heart in it, and I am using all the combos of Q8o and J8o in my draw range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	strategie turn BB vs CO challenge avril 2020 v2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	35884

My range of draws is [ AcJc, KcQc, KcJc, QcJc, 5s4s, 5d4d, 5c4c, 5c3c, 5h4c, 5h4d, 5h4s ]

Pot turn= 0.5+2+2+5+5=14.5bb
                                                    CO bets 8bb
                                                    MDF = 14.5/(14.5+8) = 0.64, then we have to defend at least 64% of our range against CO's bet .

Click image for larger version  Name:	strategie turn BB vs allin CO challenge avril 2020.PNG Views:	0 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	35865

We know that CO is a loose aggressive player, so we'll defend more than MDF against him.

The question I have in my situation is, should I have to call with 95xh (95sh, 95ch and 95dh), because these hands are weak made hands, but could probably have the 26% equity required to call and be break even or slightly winning calls.
                                                    Last edited by ptp378; 04-13-2020, 04:29 AM.

Comment

For this exercise I'll use the exact BB v. CO RFI gto strategy for 15BB. This is eye opening for me, as I don't think I would typically call 2 of my 15BB with J5o or 43o in a tournament. I have a lot to learn so I'll go with this and see how it turns out!
                                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Pre-flop.png Views:	0 Size:	136.3 KB ID:	35432

[7bb in pot] MDF says I should be continuing with 78% of my range. I'll actually continue with about 70% of range, raising my two pair, straights, KT and AT, and also raising with heart draws and straight draws - all to 5bb (leaving me 8bb left). Call marginal made pairs, some of which are also inside straight draws (leaving us 11 bb left).

To be finished later.
                                                      Last edited by JulieT; 03-22-2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Questions.
                                                        1. To which categories do you move hands to balance your range ? Draw to Marginal ? etc...
                                                        2. Should you create an extra category for check raises only ?

I messed up a little. 54hh, 53hh, 43hh should not be junk. Very tired working on this for 2 hours and missed that minor detail.

How do you account for Jh9h on turn since it can't be in our hand ????? ( meaning all J9s would now not be in our range )
                                                        Last edited by Wirubber; 04-09-2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

First homework challenge . . . probably horrible. Still figuring out how to use analyzer, don't understand "Adjust" yet, etc.

Comment

First Homework Challenge

Name:	April fianl.1.png
Views:	406
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	35380 Click image for larger version

Name:	April final.2.png
Views:	420
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	35382 Click image for larger version

Name:	April final.3.png
Views:	408
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	35381 Click image for larger version

Name:	April final.4.png
Views:	404
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	35383

Comment

BB defending range 15bb vs CO -

Flop - Tc7h6h
                                                              Potsize ~5bb
                                                              Stack behind - 13bb

We XR to 5bb. POT = 15bb. SPR ~ 0.8
                                                              T=9h
                                                              -Shove 2p+ combos
                                                              -can mix overpairs such as KK depending on suit
                                                              -XC = flushes as they don't need protection
                                                              -XC = never folding any Tx combo, folding a lot of naked 9x combo that can't improve further

Fantastic question. Loved it.

Comment

Comment

I've elected to defend slightly wider than the recommended charts, as the opponent is LAG and may be raising with a wider range,

Before I answer this I have to remove some hands that I called with, as I believe that this is a good flop to donk lead

Here, I have donked with my flopped straights and two pairs for value, and with a selection of small FDs and GSDs for balance.

When my opponent c-bets to 2bb, I would call with some marginal hands and reraise with my hands that have good equity. My check raise sizing would NOT be to 5bbs though. It would be all in,

Looking at my strategy now, it looks very unbalanced towards draws when I check raise, as I've included most of my strong hands in my donking range (hopefully he wouln't know that!)
                                                                  Last edited by PaulW; 03-20-2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Here's my Homework answer:

Starting with the implementable GTO chart for 15 BB, I would adjust my range to be slightly wider because villain is loose aggressive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Preflop.png Views:	96 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	35394

I target a ratio of 2:1 value to bluffs for my raise.

I would raise my overpair (AA), top pairs with good kickers, 2 pairs, and straights for value .

For bluffs, I would use flush draws, OESD, and various gut shots. Guts shots to be used as bluffs have either an overcard, flush draw, or backdoor flush draw.

Marginal made hands are calls. This includes T9 and T8 which is top pair with a gut shot, A5, along with middle and bottom pair.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Flop.png Views:	96 Size:	144.6 KB ID:	35395

This turn card completes the flush and gut shots. Our only junk hand is 54o. This is the only hand that will be folded.

At this stack depth, bet with all straights, most flushes, 2 pair, and top pair. Second pair is also bet as a bluff.

To strengthen the checking range, check hands that don't mind giving a free card. Check A high, K high and Q high flushes. Also check the straight flush 85hh.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Turn.png Views:	96 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	35396

The only check fold is 54o. Call in all-in with the hands that we checked to trap. These are A, K, and Q high flushes and the straight flush.

Last edited by Binkley; 03-29-2020, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Benno

Last edited by Gambit; 03-22-2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

#1 April 2020 Homework Challenge

03-15-2020, 01:44 AM

I'm going to use this hand range per the implementable GTO chart for this scenario:

Name:	April homework preflop chart.png
Views:	398
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	35419

I'm doing this with my range on the flop:

Name:	April homework Flop.png
Views:	399
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	35420

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T♣-7♥-6♥)-9♥. What is your strategy? (hold for now)

Comment

Preflop:

Name:	5BFFF4A8-235A-4678-8A04-827CAC754CFF.jpeg
Views:	389
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	35428
                                                                          Flat with AA and KK to let the LAG on the cutoff try to punish me with aggression with my tournament life on the line. Make a small 3-bet with some other hands with which I would be willing to call a shove.

Flop:

Name:	AB1C6915-59CD-4E3C-8723-2046680E27C3.jpeg
Views:	393
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	35431
                                                                          All of the adjusts are folds, except that backdoor flush draws with gutshots and at least one over (A9cc-J9cc, A8cc-J8cc), and OESD’s with no flush draw (85dd, 85ss, 54dd, 54ss) are all-ins. K8o and Q8o are all-in when the K or Q is a heart, and fold otherwise.

Turn (1st Action):

Name:	B8888E3D-A4D4-4943-BCEB-EE51A1CE89E7.jpeg
Views:	390
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	35429
                                                                          Adjusts: JThh is a premium-made hand, and 54cc is a draw.

I check A8hh and K8hh for range protection, where I have a high flush not terribly scared of a 4th heart on the river, and the 8h blocks his straights with which he is likely to call my shove.

Turn (2nd Action):

Name:	B9A3D161-CFB5-46B7-B9DC-1493B5CE7AF9.jpeg
Views:	388
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	35430
                                                                          With AA and KK, I call the shove only if I have the heart, which blocks his high flushes and gives me a redraw. Similarly, with T9, I call only if I have the Th.

Comment

BTN Preflop Strategy vs CO 2bb RFI

Flop

Name:	FTT Range Analysis-16.png
Views:	384
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	35449
                                                                            Turn calling allin with everything except KJo,QJo,A5o

Name:	FTT Range Analysis-17.png
Views:	382
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	35450

Comment

• #39

I would've in practice only either called or jammed and never raised small. I'm interested in the theory behind going 5bb here, as I'd have assume we'd want max fold equity with our bluffs and max value with our value.

I'm folding my AA with the Ah as that blocks the opponent's most likely bluffs.

Last edited by RealJPB; 04-02-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Hi All,

Here's my attempt on the homework Challenge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7149.png Views:	19 Size:	119.3 KB ID:	35466

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis-14.png Views:	0 Size:	136.1 KB ID:	35468

I check my entire range after the turn. I can check call or check raise depending on the opponent's strategy.

I used the the CO RFI at 15 BB effective stacks as the starting point for the opponent. I then went through their possible actions and range reductions based upon the board. At 15 BB, a min raise preflop suggests a very strong opening range. With the board as it is, I would suspect the opponent would have two pair or better after the river 50% precent of the time. I then structured my calling range to be mainly flushes and straights with some redraws to nut flushes or a straight flush. I then put a few more draws to be calling about 50% of my range.

Hope this makes sense.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis-15.png Views:	0 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	35469
                                                                                Last edited by mfc12345; 03-26-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  I’ll be back

Comment

• #42

I check my entire range on the flop and react to CO's action as follows:

I would check the nut flush because I am not afraid of any rivers and I want to give the CO a chance to bluff or improve to 2nd best. The only thing that beats us is a river that pairs the board and makes a full house, but I think with such a wet board he would have jammed the flop.

Last edited by Stan; 03-24-2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• #43
                                                                                      Question:

For this question I referred to the GTO pre-flop charts facing a raise from CO in OOP with an effective stack of 15BB. Short stack play is something I'm not good at. Because this question is a tournament question, I have taken into consideration while playing that we need to be ready to jam.

Current pot = [1+.05] + 2+1 = 3.5 big blinds. - goin to the flop
                                                                                      After he bets 2bb, MDF = 1-last bet/ total Pot

MDF = 1-2/3.5+2 = 18%

Strategy would be:

I've tried to balance my range by including more folds becuase I want to have a close ratio to 2:1 draws to marginal hands. I'm uncertain if I've done this correct. It looks like I have managed to get 1:3 ratio of draws to marginal hands. Also A7o and 85s is going to be raised as a bluff.

Total pot is equal to 15.5bb. After opponent goes all-in for 8bb total pot is now 23.5bb
                                                                                      Therefore MDF = 1-8/23.5

MDF = 30%

I will be calling with all my remaining flush draws. Which will 21% of my made hands, which is closer to MDF as well. Please correct me if wrong is application of MDF.

Comment

• #44
                                                                                        Everyone folds to a LAG in the CO who raises to 2bb. It fold round to us in the BB with 15bbs.

PREFLOP

We call the flop comes Tc 7h 6d we check opponent bets 2BB

Last edited by st3vemac; 03-26-2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• #45

In general this is typical for me with homework assignments, I feel confident with the pre flop range, have a reasonable understanding of flop actions, and get lost on the turn and river. HELP

I chose to use the 15BB Chart . This is wider than I would normally play, so it should be an interesting exercise for me.

Pot is 4.5 BB

Pot is 6.5 BB

I would raise my Aces, my tens, and my 2 pair. I would raise with straight and flush draws. Typically at this point my bet would be all in overpair of aces, my tens with broadway kickers, and my broadway heart flush draws. But, apparently the exercise is intended to not believe that I have to push with everything, so to be balanced I would raise to 5 BB with my entire raising range.

**Question:My flop ratios are off. Should I be playing my high card junk (Ax and Kx) as draws?

Pot is 14.5 BB

Last edited by scottsanford; 04-01-2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• #46

Because CO is a LAG, I'm shoving with a few more hands than suggested in 15BB GTO chart.

Suppose you call. The flop comes Tc-7h-6h. You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

My description for Premium hands is misleading. It should say "Three-bet to 4BB."

Because I'm short-stacked, I'm check-calling my draw range. I also have more junk because I'm short-stacked, e.g., folding A5o and other A-high hands.

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (Tc-7h-6h)-9h. What is your strategy?

Because I don't have enough draws/bluffs, I'm balancing by checking my best premium hands, i.e., my K-high and Q-high flushes (K9, K8, K5-K2 & QJ). That translates to a ratio of premium hands to draws that is only a little bigger than 1:1.

Again, because I only have 7BB left, and because I'm checking several premium hands, I'm checking my draw range.

MDF = 1- (8/ (14.5 + 8)) = 64.44%. My range seems OK because I'm defending 64.1%.

Last edited by GinDC; 03-27-2020, 03:47 PM. Reason: correcting mistakes

Comment

• #47
                                                                                              Originally posted by the10kclub View Post

Since we're talking about a LAG who might or might not be competent at all, my range in this situation is pretty much wide so I might be calling his 2bb raise with something like 5h8h, 8hTh in which case I'd have the nuts; a straight flush so I'm calling his all-in. In any case, I'm commited to the pot so the answer is call his all-in.
                                                                                              Last edited by Kaiman; 03-27-2020, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• #48

In this situation, I would defend around 80% of my range, with a polarized strategy: all in with my best hands and a few hands at the bottom of my defending range (around 25% total), and calling with about 55% of my range. I don't see the point of 3 betting another amount than all in, as out of position it would have to be 6 or 7BB, which means I am pot committed already.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R30-052949.png Views:	0 Size:	118.7 KB ID:	35648

There is 4.5 BB in the pot before the action. The minimum defence frequency is 1 - (2/6.5) = 69%
                                                                                                Here is what I do - I had to check some of my hands initially designated as bluff draws as I had too high a ratio of bluffs to premium hands on this board. I only have 39 combination of premium hands as I raised all my pairs preflop. Overall I end up defending 85% which is good.

I have 13BB left before acting. I will raise to 6BB to prepare for a jam on the turn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis-41.png Views:	0 Size:	137.3 KB ID:	35650

In this case, I raise 5BB. There is now 14.5BB in the pot and I have 8BB left.
                                                                                                The 9h is an excellent card for me as it hits most of my draws - here is what I end up with:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis-42.png Views:	0 Size:	118.7 KB ID:	35651

There are two problems with this strategy:
                                                                                                1 - The only draws are my non-heart 43s and 45s, and I do not have enough as a ratio to my premium hands
                                                                                                2 - I also notice that my checking marginal made hands are weak - 9s with bad kickers, which I would likely fold to a bet.
                                                                                                So I need to keep some stronger hands initially classified as premium as marginal made hands with which I would call a bet if I were to check.

Here is the revised picture, which also answers the last question.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis-44.png
Views:	300
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	35652

Essentially I go all in on the turn with all my straights, flushes and draws. I check my two pairs, which I call his all in bet with, and my pairs of 9s which I fold to an all in bet.

My defending ratio on his bet is 3 to 1, which is good. I have way more premium hands than draws on my betting range, but I think it is a good problem to have given this is for my tournament life all in.
                                                                                                Last edited by MichelG; 03-31-2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• #49

Comment

• #50
                                                                                                    PRE FLOP:
                                                                                                    Since the opponent is loose and in the cutoff, I assume his range is going to be wider than normal and contains lots of junk. While I could probably shove all in now and win the pot right there most of the time, I like seeing a flop and conserving chips to offset the times I go broke. 5 to 1 on a call from the BB seems like the right play with most of my range hoping to win a bigger pot later in the hand when I have more information.

FLOP: T♣-7♥-6♥ (POT = 5bb)
                                                                                                    I check.
                                                                                                    Villian bets 2bb into a 5bb Pot (POT = 7bb)
                                                                                                    This board can hit both of our ranges pretty well but also misses a lot.
                                                                                                    My strategy here is to check/shove with my nut hands (98o, set of 66 or 77 and two pairs T7, 76) and a few bluffs that have equity like a gutshot or overcard and a flush draw like A9 or A8
                                                                                                    My check/call strategy contains over pairs like AA, KK and most hands with a gutshot or flush draw. I want to also mix in some nut hands like 98c OR 98h that can hit a flush.
                                                                                                    My check/fold strategy is anything that doesn't have a gutshot or flush draw.

TURN/RIVER scenarios = I don't think I would ever raise to only 5bb on the flop. I would prefer to check/shove when I'm bluffing to maximize fold equity and to get it all in now with my nut hands when he's drawing thin. I would also check/call the flop bet. When I call, That would make the pot ~9bb and my stack ~12bb left, giving me more options on the turn/river and potentially conserving my stack.

Comment

• #51
                                                                                                      Callingc
                                                                                                      I'm calling with a few hands I'd normally ship with because he's LAG and It's likely I have him dominated.

I have trouble finding enough bluffs considering all the 2-pair and Top pair, good kicker I have. I end up raising for bluff all my suited hearts and all my gut shots with one heart. Call all my middle and bottom pairs that don't have two hearts or a gut shot.

Anything I'm raising I'm shoving.
                                                                                                      D
                                                                                                      So much gets there here because a lot of my continuing range was suited hearts. I'm shoving all of those + my straights for value and all 2 pairs and pairs with 1 heart as bluffs. I would check overpairs without a heart and any pairs w/out a heart.

I'm calling the shove with top pair, overpairs and two pairs. I would fold single pairs with no hearts.

Comment

• #52
                                                                                                        I'm doing this for the first time, let's see how it goes.

Since player is aggressive I'm playing a few more re-shoves than GTO with blockers. I'm also trapping with Kings giving the opponent the chance to make a huge mistake preflop. Other than that, calling wide since with 15BB we realize our equity very well.

My doubt is if I should fold or raise some weaker gutshots. We have the nuts advantage on this flop so it should be fine to play with aggression.

Comment

• #53

Comment

• #54
                                                                                                            Everyone folds to the CO, a loose, aggressive player, who raises to 2 big blinds. The action folds to me in the big blind with a 15bb effective stack. My strategy:

Suppose I call. The flop comes T-7-6. I check and my opponent bets 2 big blinds. My strategy:

Suppose I raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T-7-6)-9. My strategy?

Suppose I check and the opponent goes all-in for 8bb. My strategy?

Last edited by HappyUno; 04-10-2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• #55
                                                                                                              Place Holder

Comment

• #56
                                                                                                                Preflop : aggressive CO raises 2bb. BB tactic below

Calling wide for 3 reasons:
                                                                                                                - minraise
                                                                                                                - late position raiser
                                                                                                                - only 15bb left => defend wider

Flop T♣-7♥-6♥ CO bets 2bb , BB raise to 5 BB

My tactics as BB at this texture is 34% raising, 41% calling and folding 25%

Question: Am I leaving to many of my K-high flushdraws in my calling range at this stackdepth aka should I raise more good flushdraws ?

Leaving only raising hands from grid above. Some combos are gone due to 9h turncard.

Turn (T♣-7♥-6♥)-9♥ CO goes allin, BB calls/folds as below. Cannot find many folds except 54o with only one heart or club at this scenario being potcommited

The offsuits J9 is J9o
                                                                                                                Last edited by FatLever; 04-12-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• #57
                                                                                                                  Wip.....
                                                                                                                  Wip.....

Comment

• #58

Comment

• #59

Since CO is LAG, I will 3! bluff a bit more frequently than at equilibrium. I will also call with fewer of the weakest unsuited hands, since they may actually be dominated by some of LAG opener's unpaired range (and thus less often "live").

The pot is 5.5bb & we have 13bb behind. This flop is reasonably good for both players. However, I won't have ANY sets (or JJ-QQ). But I do have the off-suit 98 and more 2pr than CO. I also have a lot more flush draws and straight draws than CO. Against a less aggressive opponent, I might have a leading range of made straights and low-equity bluffs. But, against a LAG, I will check everything, looking to x-raise my premium hands and draws.

6 QJo without a heart are added to junk.
                                                                                                                      18 Q9o-Q8o without the Qh are added to junk.
                                                                                                                      6 QJs & Q9s-Q8s of spades & diamonds are added to junk.
                                                                                                                      27 non-heart K2s, Q5s-Q2s & J5s-J2s are added to junk.
                                                                                                                      12 non-heart 53s-52s, 42s & 32s are added to junk.

I was expecting to check-raise larger. But, we only have ~1/2 pot size bet behind, so perhaps this gets me some fold equity on both flop & turn -- rather than ripping the flop x-raise all-in for a 1.25x overbet. I also feel like my check-calls are more challenging to play here (& will go back & look at those next). Despite turning a pair, I am bluffing my 9x as straight blockers.

The QcJc & Qc9c are added to Draws/Bluffs
                                                                                                                      Qc8c is added to marginal.
                                                                                                                      6 non-heart 54s & 43s are added to junk.
                                                                                                                      4 8cxc are added to Premium.

See above. I'm calling off with AA-KK, all my 2pr and straights and folding my junk (15 combos each of 54 & 43). I am defending 66.67% of my checked hands, which is exactly MDF to V's 1/2 pot size shove.

Comment

• #60

Comment

• #61
                                                                                                                          I am not sure I adjusted properly on various streets. Hope everyone is staying inside and staying safe!

With only 15 bbs, I am either shoving all-in or flatting. I am flatting AA/KK against the loose, aggressive CO player because I want to get all my chips in and his bluffs will have terrible equity against these hands. I am also happy to get it all-in with any pair. I could also go all-in with some blocker hands like K6o/K5o or Q4/Q3s, but I took them out of my range for an all-in bluff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (1-PF).png Views:	0 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	35840

On this flop, I found myself raising with any top pair and heart flush draw as well as pairs with backdoor flush draws. My ratios are slightly off, as I am not quite at 2:1 premium made hands to draws and roughly 64% marginal hands to folds. I’m happily getting it all-in here with top pair against a loose, aggressive player.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (2-F).png Views:	0 Size:	108.5 KB ID:	35841

On the turn, I am checking my two-pair hands and one-pair plus draw hands. At first, I had all of my one-pair with Jack kicker as a check, however, I could add these to my draw range to give me a more balanced bluff to premium made hand. Without those, I think I was at 26% premium made hands to 1% bluffs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (3-T).png Views:	0 Size:	98.6 KB ID:	35842

Facing the all-in on the turn, I am calling an all-in with all of my flushes and straights as well as my two-pair hands, my AA/KK with a heart, and any pair of ten with a Jack kicker, as that still has some equity to a straight. I might be over-folding here. I believe, if I calculated correctly, I need to be correct roughly 26% of the time, which could allow for me to call more top-pair hands.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FTT Range Analysis (4-T 8bb all-in).png Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	35844
                                                                                                                          Looking forward to critiques!
                                                                                                                          Last edited by capoccij; 04-07-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• #62
                                                                                                                            so i have attempted this but short stack not my strong point!

i have basically copied this from the 15-bb GTO range charts

Comment

• #63
                                                                                                                              HI all first go at this
                                                                                                                              my calling range is a little tighter then the 15bb chart

Flop check/Raise range I didnt put T8h in my check raise range but should of

Check call range

probably should bet the weaker flushes and put some of the stronger flushes apart for 85s in my checking range maybe A2s and 54s as a bet
                                                                                                                              Last edited by pmm5@optusnet.com.au; 04-11-2020, 03:04 PM.
                                                                                                                              Paul

Comment

• #64

Name:	PF BB Defence 15bb.png
Views:	198
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	35940

Name:	Flop.png
Views:	200
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	35941

Name:	Turn.png
Views:	201
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	35942

Name:	Turn 2.png
Views:	200
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	35943
                                                                                                                                Attached Files
                                                                                                                                Last edited by eddie_hughes@live.co.uk; 04-11-2020, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• #65

Comment

• #66

As this is my range while playing from BB against Co who IS LAP as I have called with premium hands board suits my range and I have raised also it means either I have set or nut flush draw that's why I have raised him and if he shoves on me at that spot I will simply call.

Comment

• #67

I DIDN'T REALLY THINK I WOULD HAVE A CR TO 5BB RANGE SINCE IT WOULD BE MORE THAN 1/3 OF MY REMAINING CHIPS, BUT I CREATED ONE TO DO THE NEXT STEP.

CALLING WITH OFFSUIT HANDS THAT HAVE K OR Q OF HEARTS

Comment

• #68
                                                                                                                                        Hi sorry about the images being so small you can click on them at the bottom to view

my raising range will go allin

I will call with ATs obviously

Last edited by pmm5@optusnet.com.au; 04-12-2020, 06:40 PM.
                                                                                                                                        Paul

Comment

• #69

Suppose you raise to 5bb and the opponent calls. The turn is the (T♣-7♥-6♥)-9♥. What is your strategy? Guess I will change my draw all in to 5 bb raise, so I can finish.

Comment

• #70
                                                                                                                                            This is my first homework challenge. I have a loose understanding of what I'm doing but wanted to have an assignment submitted so I can follow along on the webinar. Going to go back and work on some more so that I'll be ready for the May homework challenge.

I stayed pretty close to the 15BB charts on this one. I think I could defend a little looser knowing we're up against a player we know is LAG, but I opted to stay with what I know.

​​​

I believe this flop texture hits my range a little more than our opponents. On top of that it's a very draw heavy board, which again, helps us more than our opponent.

I'm betting my premium flush draws and checking my draws with reverse implied odds. Assuming my opponent isn't going to call with worse hands and I won't get him to fold hands that beat me. If something besides a heart comes on the river I'm hoping my less nutty flushes will be disguised.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	35992

I'm calling with all of my flushes hoping my check has induced a bluff from the loose aggressive player. Either way I feel we're committed to this pot, and I''m laying down only my hands that have very little equity at this point.

Again this was my first time completing a homework challenge. I enjoyed this one (even though I rushed it a bit) and can appreciate how it makes me think both about my range and my opponents range in its entirety. I'm going to go back through the older ones and try and get caught up to speed.

Attached Files
                                                                                                                                            Last edited by EvanBWP; 04-12-2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• #71
                                                                                                                                              My first homework assignment. Let me know if I did this right.

Comment

• #72

Pretty straightforward, giving some initiative to aggressive opponent.

Name:	Preflop April 2020.png
Views:	127
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	36016

Name:	Flop April 2020.png
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	36017

Name:	Turn April 2020.png
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	36018

Suppose you check and the opponent goes all-in for 8bb. What is your strategy?​​​​​​​

Name:	Turn-decision April 2020.png
Views:	128
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	36019

Comment

• #73

Preflop range:

Flop range:

Turn Range:

River:

Comment

• #74

Comment

• #75
                                                                                                                                                      Hi all, for me this is an exercise in working with the range analyser. I used the ranges that Jonathan gave as in the webinar.

Flop range:

Turn Range:

River:

Comment

• #76
                                                                                                                                                        placeholder

Comment

• #77

-7
                                                                                                                                                          -6
                                                                                                                                                          . You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

-7
                                                                                                                                                          -6
                                                                                                                                                          )-9
                                                                                                                                                          . What is your strategy?

Attached Files

Comment

• Mutanky
                                                                                                                                                            Mutanky commented
                                                                                                                                                            Editing a comment
                                                                                                                                                            bottom 2 ranges in wrong order

• #78

Well I only have to call one more BB so my calling range would be pretty wide with 3 to 1 odds. If I was to reraise it would be to get all the chips in, our stacks are low so I want to double up.

The flop hits my range well and like in the question I would check raise if my opponent bets less than full pot. He bets small which could mean he is trying to build the pot or it could be over cards.

CO range:

His range is wide so I want 3 bet on the turn to thin it out or get him to fold, a lot of his range beats mine but the board is wet and if he is bluffing he would put my range stronger than his, I would 3 bet him to 7BB to match the pot. In the question the 3 bet would be 5 BB.

CO 3 bet calling range:

I expect with two pairs or a set he would 4 bet shove me.

The turn comes 9 of hearts finishing a straight and flush draw. This does not look good for my range and if I was bluffing the flop this card brings that to a halt. He shoves on the turn and for most of my range I would fold.

My calling range:

I would call any with a flush because he can be shoving with a straight considering our stacks are small.

Comment

• #79

WOW this one's a doozie. A lot to consider here. Since I'm shoving so many heart draws I feel like it messes up my ratios but I'm unsure how to split between folding my suited hearts and other suited combos. To try and even it out I elected to fold all my Jack high combos but obviously in game I would be jamming the heart ones. Also I added the yellow color to strengthen my call range by having some nut hands in there. I probably botched it a bit but that's what the webinar is for.

Wow. Debating if I want to go back now and redo this. I didn't cheat so I only read the first parts. I wouldn't assume I'd have a raise range that doesn't shove. Perhaps I'll choose some of my shove combos to continue this challenge, but the idea of a raising to 40% of my stack and not shoving seems strange. This is why I'm putting the time in though, to learn these things.

Ok this one got really tough. I'm basically calling with all my straights and flushes and folding everything else. Cutoff minraise is wide and can have a lot of 8's I'd think. Trying to make my range analyzer correct is giving me a headache lol. I'm just gonna watch the webinar now.

Comment

• #80

-7
                                                                                                                                                              -6
                                                                                                                                                              . You check and your opponent bets 2 big blinds. What is your strategy?

-7
                                                                                                                                                              -6
                                                                                                                                                              )-9
                                                                                                                                                              . What is your strategy?

Name:	may20.png
Views:	32
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	37622

CALL!
                                                                                                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• #81
                                                                                                                                                                \

Comment

• #82

I'm assuming the player is really loose and will raise wider than GTO charts, I put his raising range on: 22+,A2s+,K5s+,Q5s+,J5s+,T7s+,97s+,86s+,76s,65s,54s ,A2o+,K9o+,Q9o+,J9o+,T9o

Facing a loose-aggressive player in CO with RFI to 2BB, I would act according to the following strategy based on the Poker Coaching 15bbs Chart:

I presume Villain is continuing with this range: 66+,A2s+,KQs,KTs,K7s-K5s,QTs,Q7s-Q6s,J5s+,T7s+,97s+,86s+,76s,65s,54s,ATo+,A7o-A6o,KQo,KTo,QTo,JTo,T9o

Which means my strategy will be:

I presume Villain is continuing with: 66+,AQs+,ATs,A7s-A6s,KTs,K7s-K6s,QTs,Q7s-Q6s,J6s+,T7s+,97s+,86s+,76s,65s,54s,AQo+,ATo,A7o-A6o,KTo,QTo,JTo,T9o

My strategy would be:

Comment

• #83

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                                                                    X