February 2019 Homework Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February 2019 Homework Topic

Everyone folds to you in middle position with a 100 big blind effective stack early in a $500 buy-in tournament. Most of the players yet to act generally play well. What is your strategy?

Suppose you raise to 2.5 big blinds and the button, a loose, aggressive player, calls. The flop comes 9s-8h-6d. What is your strategy?

Suppose you check and your opponent bets 4 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Suppose you call. The turn is the (9s-8h-6d)-2c. You check and your opponent bets 12 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Suppose you call. The river is the (9s-8h-6d-2c)-5h. You check and your opponent bets 20 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Been back and forth on this one since it was posted. I went through a few different ideas and my initial posted strategy had me betting QQ+ on the flop along with a bunch of draws. There were too many draws and not enough premiums so the LAG opponent would likely punish me for that. In addition, overpairs (with the possible exception of TT) aren't really all that premium on this board against an in-position LAG who flatted pre.

Ultimately I concluded that we can't bet the flop with anything since our range doesn't connect very well at all with this flop, not to mention the problem of our LAG opponent in position against us with basically every advantage.

Everyone folds to you in middle position with a 100 big blind effective stack early in a $500 buy-in tournament. Most of the players yet to act generally play well. What is your strategy? Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-A.png
Views:	79
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	13329

Early in the tournament I'm interested in getting involved as much as possible. Since most of the players behind me play well, I also can't get too out of line.

Suppose you raise to 2.5 big blinds and the button, a loose, aggressive player, calls. The flop comes 9s-8h-6d. What is your strategy?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-B3.png
Views:	70
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	13744
    Well this spot really sucks. We caught a pretty terrible flop for our range and we're facing a LAG. My opponent should have both the range advantage and the polarization advantage here and has position on top of that. I'm going to be trying to keep the pot small by checking everything.

Since I'm not betting anything I'm not sure how to categorize the hands. For now I'm calling top/top and better "premium".

Name:	2019-02-C3.png
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	13745
    I'm getting rid of the bottom 20%. 4 / (4 + 6.5) = 38% so MDF = 62% and I'm calling 80% of my range so we're good so far.

Suppose you call. The turn is the (9s-8h-6d)-2c. You check and your opponent bets 12 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Name:	2019-02-D3.png
Views:	67
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	13746
    Once he fires again I'm forced to surrender my missed ace-high hands and other backdoor flush draws that bricked. I'm also ditching A6, though I'm ok with A8 since it's ahead of reasonable double-barrels from hands like 87. 12 / (12 + 14.5) = 45% so MDF = 55% and I'm calling with 65.4%.

I'm not in love with calling stuff like KT here but I'm not sure what the solution is. The preflop range doesn't seem absurdly loose and I've been working to keep the checking range as strong as possible.

Suppose you call. The river is the (9s-8h-6d-2c)-5h. You check and your opponent bets 20 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Name:	2019-02-E3.png
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	13747
    The half pot river bet makes this difficult. 20 / (38.5 + 20) = 34% so MDF = 66% which is a little tricky. I basically have to call with any pair and I even have to throw in my AT suited combos because he could occasionally be bluffing with JT/QT/KT and this beats those.

At the table I'm likely being far too tight in this spot. This assignment gave me a lot to think about.
    Last edited by McLovin; 02-04-2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• reeeeeeper
      reeeeeeper commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice analysis, but you forgot to add in your 12BB call for the last MDF calc. Pot is 38.5 at the river, not 26.5. I only noticed because you made me double-check my own work. :}

• McLovin
      McLovin commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice catch, thanks. I'm actually going to tear this whole thing down and re-do it because this strategy has too many problems. I might be throwing away the winner, but I don't think so.

Everyone folds to you in middle position with a 100 big blind effective stack early in a $500 buy-in tournament. Most of the players yet to act generally play well. What is your strategy?

My opening range with intentions:

Name:	Preflop.png
Views:	71
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	13320

My floprange with intentions to bet 3.5 BB and 3-bet red hands to 2x opponents raise.

Name:	Flop.png
Views:	73
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	13321

Sticking to my flop intentions as above.

Name:	Flop2.png
Views:	69
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	13322

I think I should defend a minimum of 55% of hands. Vs a LAG this 70% should be good.

Name:	Turn.png
Views:	72
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	13323

I think I should defend a minimum of 66% of hands. Maybe add AQo to get over the minimum?

Name:	River.png
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	13324

Comment

Everyone folds to you in middle position with a 100 big blind effective stack early in a $500 buy-in tournament. Most of the players yet to act generally play well. What is your strategy? I am going to open with a Normal/Loose MP range.

Suppose you raise to 2.5 big blinds and the button, a loose, aggressive player, calls. The flop comes 9s-8h-6d. What is your strategy? I am close to 50% Bet/50% Check so I am betting everything. I am going to bet a little over 1/2 pot (4BB).

Suppose you check and your opponent bets 4 big blinds. What is your strategy? I Bet everything so I am done.

I am doing this the day after the Jan. webinar. Am I correct that when our range is 50/50, we should bet everything?

Comment

Opening Range Mid-Position vs. Decent Players

- I have been experimenting with playing more suited one-gapper type hands and folding more unsuited Broadway cards (like KJo & QJo). This bit of polarity allows me to play roughly the same number of hands as a completely linear range. It also leads to better board coverage.

- This also makes it more difficult for an opponent to put me on a range.

Question: (Agree or Disagree) On most flops, opening this type of range will lead to more Nut hands, Draws, and Junk. It will lead to fewer marginal made hands.

Decent LAG calls. Flop comes (9s,8h,6d)

- Combo hands (pair + draw) will be treated like marginal made hands.

- Weaker overpairs (TT, JJ) will be bet because they won't mind protection. The stronger over-pairs will be kept in the checking range, along with most of my marginal 9's. This allows me to keep a 1/2 Nut/Bluff ratio.

We check. Opponent bets 4 BB.

We call. Turn comes (9s,8h,6d),2c. We check and opponent bets 12 BB.

- I fold all of my over-cards. I call with over-pairs, decent pairs, and combo-draws.

Question: I am folding my sixes because I think they are too weak. Does this cause me to fold too much, considering that I am playing a decent LAG?

We call. River comes (9s,8h,6d),2c,5h. We check and opponent bets 20 BB.

- The villain's bet requires me to defend with roughly 3/4 of my range (20 / 78.5). However, there are hands I need to Raise, Call, Bluff, and Fold.

- Of the hands I raise, I am raising with at least 2/1 Nut/Bluff ratio.

- Of the hands I don't raise, I am calling 70% of hands.

- I am folding hands that have a blocker card against a busted straight draw.

Question: Suppose the villain shoves after I raise with one of my straights. Do I call this off? Is (T-7) going to be in the range of someone that plays well?
        Last edited by david7386; 02-13-2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

PREFLOP:

FLOP:

FLOP (after checking facing a bet):

Calling the hands in green folding the hands in grey

TURN: I first started by calling only pairs, but my mdf has me calling at least 55% here so I added the best non pair hand the AK, AK is also nice as it does not block the draws.

RIVER:

I decided to use A6,A2 for bluffs. They block hands like A7 for a straight and block a couple sets. Im over folding by around 10% here but this whole board has been good for my opponents range, and they are not using a polarizing bet size. A8s may be a fold and in all honestly Im prob not calling in this situation, but after doing this challenge I may have to now.

I dont mind them being called Homework btw, I am a student and I must complete my homework to raise my grade$!

Comment

Comment

Benno

I open with this range. I expect to get 3 bet with some hands.

I think I could strenghten my checking range against a LAG when I put some of my Premium made hands in my checking range to check call. The AA,KK,QQ,JJ are normaly strong hands. But against the calling range of a LAG I am in pretty bad shape. And even when he did not has one of the hands that beat me. He could easly bluff me of many strong hands because this board favor so much his calling range.
              When I am sure that he will raise me when I check. I could consider put maybe 66 or 98 in my checking range to check raise. But I think it will be be better to bet to protect me against draws. When he really has a draw he will raise me anyway. Even when I bet.

Calling with the small pairs is not such a good Idea. Should consider to put them in the folding range.

22 are out of my calling range. Because I reraised them on the turn. I think against such a range. I have to fold everthing. Because even AA,KK,QQ,JJ are almost marginal on this board. I could consider calling them when I know for sure that he bluffs much on this board. But normaly I will be crushed for the most time. So folding is the only play that makes sense.
              Last edited by Gambit; 02-14-2019, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I considered putting hands like 77 and 55 into my betting range as draws since they benefit from protection as well.

I originally wasn't defending wide enough here so I added AKo. Calling with all the AK combos would get us to slightly over MDF, 66% compared to 62%.

I went back and forth over whether it was better to have no raising range here, or to raise with 22 and then balance that by raising with 76s as a bluff. What do you think, Jonathan?

I'd like to be able to raise my straights here but I realize I'm left with no bluffs and against a competent player that's a problem. Because of that I'm turning A8s into a bluff. I know that's 3-1 value to bluff instead of 2-1. Would you recommend adding one or two T9 combos to the bluffs to balance things out or does the fact that I'm struggling to find bluffs reveal something fundamentally flawed with the range?

Last edited by RealJPB; 02-12-2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Knowing most of my opponents play generally well, I am going to open this range to 3 bb from middle position. I prefer this raise size when early in the tournament and stacks are deep. Given my opponents play well, I assume some of them will attack a middle position raise. I am going to 4-bet 68/266 combos, 44 for value and 24 as a bluff.

Name:	8.png
Views:	67
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	13345

My first thought was this board generally connects better with the button's calling range. This opponent will continue with middle pairs or better, OESD, and gut shots with overcards and fold the rest given I should have a strong range raising from middle position.

I feel like firing out a c-bet with my premium made hands and draws.

Name:	9.png
Views:	63
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	13346

Pot: .5+1+2.5+2.5=6.5
                  6.5:4 or 6.5+4=10.6 4/10.6=0.3774 so I need to defend hands that have at least 38% equity. I am out of position early in the tournament against opponents who generally play well. I do not see a lot of merit in getting out of line without some exploitative reason to do so.

Name:	10.png
Views:	61
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	13349

Pot: 10.5+12+12=34.5
                  12/34.5=0.3478

I don't see the need to get out of line for the same reasons.

Name:	11.png
Views:	68
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	13348Click image for larger version

Name:	12.png
Views:	65
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	13347

Comment

I'm not sure how to structure the range so that i'm not too weak or too strong. I considered checking everything against Good LAG on that texture but i feel like a check / raising range would be too strong and betting everything seems horrible as i will fold to 3bets a lot from OOP.

I'm going full exploitative on this board so i'm betting my best hands and obvious draws. I wanted to strengthen my check/call range so i included some 9x and over-pairs. Getting raised with those hands seems like a gross spot.

As far as sizing. I don't really have a polarization advantage so, a 33% - 50% might be in order.

His bet needs to work roughly 38% of the time, i'm defending less than that so he immediately profits.

Calling with all my 9's and over-pairs. I thought about raising with my 77s, 87s and 76s. Something i would rather do in position.However i am defending at a high enough frequency on the turn to make the call.

Im folding everything. The way its played i don't beat anything. 2 pairs, sets, straights. I block a lot of the bluffs if i don't have AA KK Q9 K9.

This HW makes me want to consider how i play this board from OOP vs Good Lags. Probably better off checking whole range on the flop.

Looking forward to your answer.

Thanks JL

Comment

This flop generally would miss my range of hands that I raise with. The opponent is playing the hand aggressively like he's either on a draw or already has trips. He's betting me off any draw I have and even if I had a big pair, a lot of chips are being committed to the pot. I would let my hand go ofp, and look for another spot, especially if the opponent is a very good player. Maybe that's too tight, but it's what I'd do. I would much rather be in position with the betting lead.

Comment

on this flop our opponent has a range advantage, this is the best I can do to protect my checking range

this is my checking range, I raise with my premium hands, fold all the junk and AQo with the Ac, call the rest

mdd is 55%, it looks like I am getting there with a wide range so I am calling a little below the ideal number

Last edited by thefisheagle; 01-23-2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Since we're up against good players, I'm assuming some of the players yet to act may 3 bet as a bluff or for value.

Pre-flop:

On a
                          9s-8h-6d Flop

Suppose I check the flop and opponent bets 4bb. (pot is now 10.5bb). I'm folding the junk and check-call marginal hands.

Pot is 14.5bb going to the turn. The turn card is a 9s-8h-6d 2c, I check and opponent bets 12bb. Pot odds: 12bb/(26.5+12) approx. 31%
                          Assuming my opponent bets both his marginal made hands and draws.

The pot going to the river is 38.5bb. River card is 5h, I check opponent bets 20bb. Pot odds are 20bb/(38.5bb+20bb) 34%. Final board is
                          9s-8h-6d
                          2c
                          5h. Note: some of my marginal hands became value hands. The 5 on the river is better for opponent's range so I will check my entire range but check-raise straights.

Comment

My name's Mike, thanks for the review last week.

---

Going to open my standard MP range since the players are good, though maybe I should tighten it up slightly.

Free cards on this board could be painful for many hands. This flop is better for the caller, so when I'm betting out I'm betting on the smaller side. The one hand I will slow-play is 75s since not many cards will hurt it and I want to give the LAG a chance to hang himself. Also, on these middle card boards, I consider most A-high junk, but maybe they could be considered bluff-catching marginal hands against a LAG player. The ones with backdoor flush possibility I consider draws.
                            (In chart legend, Raise = Bet, Call/Fold = Check)

All check-fold or check-call. No check-raise in order to keep his bluffing range wide. Due to the bet size, I need to call with some of the A-high hands to meet MDF 62% (not super happy about that).

A blank. Since MDF is 55% it's now possible to ditch the A-high hands and pairs below 6's. An interesting spot here is that since 22 is now fairly nutted along with 75s, I'll check-raise them and to balance also check-raise semi-bluff A7s & 77 since they're both good draws with the nut blocker.

Four to a straight, fun. This is going to be a crying call for a few holdings since 1) this player is LAG, 2) we've under-repped with passive play so he's likely to have a good amount of bluffs in his range, and 3) MDF is 66%. Despite ICM implications and survival, I will raise the 1-card straights here. The specter of T7s is offset by possibly getting value from 43s (longshot), sets or maybe even 9s-up. This is purely exploitative, though there are situations where I'd stab at this river as a bluff, I can't see myself ever bluff check-raising here like this (don't tell anyone).

Thanks for the challenge and review.
                            Last edited by reeeeeeper; 02-15-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• reeeeeeper
                              reeeeeeper commented
                              Editing a comment
                              River: J9s probably best bluff candidate. T9 and T8 worse hands but the T blocks more Villain bluffs than the J.

Everyone folds to you in middle position with a 100 big blind effective stack early in a $500 buy-in tournament. Most of the players yet to act generally play well. What is your strategy? Click image for larger version

Name:	feb1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	14031

I need to check call with a lot of high card hands (AK,AQ, AJ) to prevent folding too much when I check. I also have to bet with all of my gutshots, and backdoor flush draws. Click image for larger version

Name:	feb2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	14032

My MDF is 62% = (6.5/(4+6.5)) which happens to coincide with my marginal made hands. Note that I do not have any raising hands or draws. Click image for larger version

Name:	feb3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	14033

This hand is now getting dicey. My MDF is now 55% (14.5/(12+14.5)) so I need to continue with all my paired hands. Click image for larger version

Name:	feb4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	14034

I like this river as I have a lot of sevens in my range which have become the nuts. Now I can raise for value with my straights, raise my marginal pairs as a bluff, and call with my top pairs and two pair. Click image for larger version

Name:	feb5.jpg
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	14035
                            Last edited by lbhafen; 02-13-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I open a little looser than last month, because now I'm not trying to avoid exploitably folding to overly loose players.

The player who actually called me is a loose aggressive player on the Button, so it's similar to last month. Here, I have a few more draws, but none of the straights (T7 or 75) in my range, and the Villain does. Because I can't represent the straights here, I'm not going to construct any check-raising range.

Villain bets 4bb into a pot of 6.5bb, so MDF = 62%. I fold my junk (28%) and call with my marginal made hands (72%). This time, I'm including big unpaired Aces (w/o the bdfd), and low pairs as Marginal Made hands, rather than Junk.

The pot was 14.5bb, so against this nearly pot size bet I have a MDF of 55% (1-(12/(12+14.5))). Other than 22, I don't have any very premium hands left. Against a regular opponent, I would like to bluff raise some portion of the time (maybe with my AKo hands, folding my other unpaired Aces) to avoid over-folding & therefore, I would want to value raise with my best hands, too. But, against a LAG opponent, I will call with the big Aces, and re-evaluate on the river. I'm not crazy about defending with small pairs 55-33, even though they have showdown value, because I will be in a difficult spot when LAG likely bets again on lots of rivers. But I prefer to fold these than the big Aces, since they are ahead of nearly the same range & less likely to improve.

Villain is betting 20bb into a 38.5bb pot (~1/2 pot), so my MDF is 66%. Unpaired Aces make up 50% of my range here, so I can't fold them all. I think bottom set (22) is too thin to x-raise for value, because I think that, when Villain calls, he will have a better hand than bottom set more than 1/2 the time. Even though it's only a 44% pot raise, I don't expect too many Villains to call a river x-jam with weaker than TPTK (if even that). He's got at most 12 combos of A9 in his range, and probably 3! the overpairs pre-flop. If I give him 98s, 96s, 86s, 85s and 65s, that's only 11 combos of 2pr that I'm beating, versus all the bigger sets (12 combos) and the straights (33 combos of A7s 97s, 87s, 77, 76s, 75s, 74s and 43s in his range) that are never folding. So, I will only x-raise my straights for value and an exploitably greater number of my no-pair hands as bluffs (since I should have a decent amount of fold equity against an aggressive opponent taking this line, even though my 61.5bb raise is only 44% pot).

Last edited by bengoshidesu; 01-24-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Mike Rashid
                                Mike Rashid commented
                                Editing a comment
                                There was no Queen on the flop, might want to run it again.

• bengoshidesu
                                bengoshidesu commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks, Mike! I have to get my eyes checked. I guess it's not the flip side of last month, then.

Last edited by Mike Rashid; 01-23-2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

This is my first homework...

So, this would be just my raising range from MP. I suppose I should really add some raise/4bet and other options, in case villain raises me, but I read ahead and know that doesn't happen.

Suppose you raise to 2.5 big blinds and the button, a loose, aggressive player, calls.
                                This is what I would estimate the Button's calling/raising range would be:

At this point, the Pot is at 6.5BB and my raising range versus villain's estimated calling range puts my equity at about 51% before the flop.
                                Effective Stacks are now at 97.5BB

The flop comes 9s-8h-6d. What is your strategy?
                                Again, a simple chart that doesn't show options if I'm raised.

First, I'll give the villain a Bet/Check Behind range:

And this would be my strategy:

After he bets, the Pot is at 10.5BB and I need to put in 4BB to call, so pot odds are about 2.6:1, or about 27.6%. My calling range versus his betting range puts my equity at about 36%.

So I call, making the Pot 14.5BB and effective stacks are now 93.5BB. I then check and he bets 12BB, giving me 1.2:1 pot odds (45%). I'm going to say that he is betting with his entire range which would be this:

And this would be my strategy:

So, his betting range versus my calling range gives me about 52% equity. So I think I will call...

I call 12BB and now the Pot is 38.5BB with effective stack sizes at 81.5BB. I then check on the river. He bets 20BB. Pot odds are now at 1.9:1 (34%). So I'm thinking his range looks something like this:

and this would be my strategy:

I'm only working with 4 possible hands at this point: K7s. That gives me about 82% equity. If that's what I have, I should either call or raise. A raise would be to at least 60BB and I only have 81.5BB left, so I guess the choice is really call or push with the K7s. If I push, I make the pot 140BB and he would have to call off with 61.5BB, giving him about 2.3:1 pot odds, or right around 30%. He may call, but I still have a lot equity, so it's either fold the junk or push the K7s.

Comment

Comment

Analysis:

Very similar to last month's range. I tightened up slightly as we are playing against competent players, although I could see adding a few one and two gap suited connectors if you are comfortable playing them post flop.

Pot size is 6.5 bb

Analysis: Originally had the premiums and draws as bet, but the way the action goes down (where we check to the button villain) it killed my range. I just didn't feel a c-bet strategy into our aggressive opponent is the way to go. I very much would want to see the turn with our draw hands and by checking the flop, we can keep the pot small and not get blown off our hand. While we can consider a set of 9s, 8s, and 6s to be premium, are they really? Right now, probably, but there are many cards that can hit the turn that are bad for these hands. I was really close to making JJ - AA marginal, because this flop should hit villain's range fairly well, but decided to leave them as is. If A9 is premium, it's on the low end of that scale. I want to keep my range wide and if we know villain is aggressive and will bet if we check, checking with the intention of calling everything but our worst hands seems the way to go.

Analysis: By checking the flop and calling the 4 bb bet I still have a fairly wide range. Almost all my draws, most backdoor are still around and I can see if the turn can improve this. As I look at KJo and KQo, I can see an argument for considering that a draw and calling with those as well (maybe I should). I'm getting rid of the small pairs. Even hitting a set with one of those could be trouble, especially the 5s.

On the flop, we checked, he bet 4 bb, we called. Now on the turn, he bets 12 bb. The pot is now 26.5 bb.

Analysis: Well that stinks, the turn is a complete blank and did not help any of our draws and now we face a tough decision with this bet. I actually like some of the marginal made hands now with the exception of AK. If we have a 5, 7, or T, we block the straights, so I can see calling with them. His bet, which is significant, polarizes his range in my mind. He either has two pair, maybe a set, a nothing. That makes JJ-AA too strong in my mind, so I'm calling with them too. I also like all the sets as well. I tossed all the hands with a T except TT and JT. The problem with the gutshot straight draws with QTs - ATs is that I don't think I can get paid off if a 7 hits. It will be too obvious when I bet out that I have a straight. JT is open ended to the nuts and if the Q hits, we might get paid on that one. I almost put QJ in the junk pile as well, but decided to keep it. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Pot is at 38.5 and we call with 20 bb (pot odds around 25%)

Analysis: Well, this is good and bad. The bad (or maybe not). Because I kept my range wide on earlier streets, we are left with a lot of marginal made hands which need to win about 25% of the time and by my calculation, even the low end of this (A5) does. So based on my analysis from the turn that I felt his range is polarized, I think we have to call with everything but pure junk. I didn't raise the premiums because I don't see value. Although I didn't mention that he might have a 7 after the turn, doesn't mean he didn't. I feel that at best I'm chopping if I raise and he calls. Maybe I'm leaving some value out there and would like to hear what others think of this. I was seriously considering check raising all in with JT because of its blocker value to the nuts, but just couldn't pull the trigger. I look forward to seeing if Johnathan has any bluffs in here.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Comment

Everyone folds to me in MP with 100 BB stack early in tournament most of players yet to act are good. Well first I want to forget anything fancy like limping in with big hand I want to pick a polarized range because players yet to act are good so I raise with pairs suited connectors and one gappers suited aces and ace with highcard kicker.
                                      I raise 2.5 bb and the button calls. Flop comes 9s 8h 6d
                                      The flop comes 9s, 8h 6d so some of my range has hit big 99 88 and 66 some is still strong being over pairs to the board some have draw potential 77 TT JT and 55. Some is marginally made ie has a piece of the board and some is junk. My strategy would be to C bet with everything however the board would suit buttons range better than mine in that I would have raised with a lot of high cards the preflop caller would have called with a lot more middle range.
                                      I check the flop this would be either because I have hit the board hard and I am check raising or my hand is weak and Im thinking of check folding or my hand has potential and I want to improve cheaply but this is unlikely as I usually bet my draws especially being the preflop aggressor.
                                      Now the button bets 4bb into a 6.5 bb pot So that would lead me to fold out the junk, call with the marginals and raise with the strong hands. I call which means that Im slow playing something really good or chasing the open ended straight.
                                      The turn is a 2c and I check so either Im still slow playing a big hand letting my opponent build the pot or Im still looking for a card to complete a straight. Pot is 14.5 bb button bets 12bb and I call.
                                      The river is a 5h and I check again. The pot is 38.5bb and button bets 20bb either a value bet or bluff. Now the 5 filled my straight if I was holding 77 76 suited which were 2 of my combos. My big pairs are now bluff catchers but I cant see me getting to the river checking every street with an overpair to the board.
                                      If I am holding a straight on the river then a reraise is in order everything else looks like a fold. I guess I might still be holding trips but surely I would have bet with them before we had reached the river. If the river gave me trip 5's I would just call. I would call with trip 5's because first you can't fold trips but I wouldn't reraise because I'm beaten if he holds one card that being the 7 and on the river if Im beaten by a single card I usually call rather than re raise.
                                      In reviewing this I should have had the A7s as a drawing hand rather than junk and I added 8 6 onto the second grid when clearly it didnt make the first grid. I also realise that I should have played with the suited function and made some of the A suited drawing rather than junk.
                                      These are the only combos that would have survived this betting pattern raise call pre flop check call flop check call turn and check river. A7 because it flopped an open ended straight draw as did 77. 97 87 and 67 all made medium pairs and open ended straight draws.
                                      This grid represents what I think the button would call a raise with.
                                      This grid represents what hands I think the button is playing by the time we get to river apologies I accidentally added A6o to A9o they should not be there and 74s should be red
                                      Last edited by Card dead; 01-31-2019, 01:04 AM.

Comment

folds to me in MP 100bb playing snug with good players behind

I raise 2.5x 100bb button calls LAG flop is 9s8h6d
                                        raising premium hands
                                        all over pairs sets/trips top pair top kicker 2 pair hands

now lets suppose I checked and button bets 4bb
                                        I would be calling all made hands and back door A high flush draws
                                        I called board now is 9s8h6d-2c
                                        I check and button bets 12bb
                                        I call with all made hands and straight draws
                                        all backdoor draws are folded now

I called now the river is 5h
                                        board is now 9s8h6d2c-5h
                                        I do not have the nuts and this lag could have been playing 10-7 easily from the button and I have shown weakness by checking my range
                                        so again I have checked the river and now buton bets 20bb
                                        I will just call with all made hands

Comment

Hi. When it folds to me, I rarely limp v decent players. At 100BB am raising 3BB most of the time with my playable range.

The flop is quite a wet board and LAG has position on me. I tighten up my cbet range a little, but Im cbet Laggy myself.

I check and LAG oppo bets 4BB into 6.5BB pot. I guess the hands that I would have bet here, disappear from my check range and hence from the rest of this homework?! Gulp. Thinking about his range (which could be anything if oppo is a LAG) perhaps 44-99(not TT+, probably RR pre), middle suited connectors and high overcards, not AK(probably RR pre).

Turn a blank 2d. I check and oppo bets 12BB into 14.5BB pot. Wow, thats a big bet! I am drawing thin and only beating bluffs and draws. I am tempted to fold everything and wait for a better situation, but suspect that makes me exploitable? If I cant find any reads to help me, I will call with a couple of my remaining marginal made/draw combos.

River 5. I check oppo bets 20BB into 38.5BB pot. A 1/2 pot value bet or bluff! 7x draws made it. Im now getting 3-1 though, v LAG, making it easier to call his bluffs with marginal hands. Ok, I call.

Comment

<sigh> This homework made me even more humble. I've got so much to learn. I feel WAY too tight in this scenario, but was unable to come up with a strategy I was really happy with.

In opening from middle position, I want to make sure my range is strong, but also includes some stuff that can flop well.

My thoughts are that I need to study my flop strategy and perhaps check a bit more of my range in this spot. I might be betting too much of my range into a LAG OOP?

Last edited by scubed; 02-14-2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Suppose you call. The river is the (9s-8h-6d-2c)-5h. You check and your opponent bets 20 big blinds. What is your strategy

Comment

R/ I would open ... Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Open.png
Views:	62
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	13614

R/
                                                - Bet premium made hands (top pair - top kicker, over pairs, sets, two-pairs)
                                                - Bet draws (straight draws and backdoor flush draws)
                                                - Check marginal made hands (any other pair basically)
                                                - Check junk Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Flop-A.png
Views:	58
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	13615

R/ Since I check, that means that my hand is marginal or junk. I would call with both a 4bb bet. My marginal hands could still be the best hand since the opponent is a loose aggressive player that I checked to; and my junk could improve on the turn. Click image for larger version

Name:	3-Flop-B.png
Views:	59
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	13616

Here I would:
                                                - fold my junk
                                                - call with the rest but looking to fold to a sizeable river bet with anything except my new born set or hands that improve Click image for larger version

Name:	4-Turn.png
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	13617

Even if I consider my opponent loose and aggressive, I would think the bet-bet-bet means he has something. Specially since a pretty obvious straight is possible with a seven.

- I would fold under pairs
                                                - I would call with my sets (and with my A9 and A8... but I should probably fold those)
                                                - And shove with my sevens

Name:	image_2950.png
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	13618
                                                Last edited by pablinche3; 01-31-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

PRE-FLOP

I'll fold the following to a 3-bet: A9s - A6s, AJo, KJo, K10s-K9s, Q10s-Q9s, 108s, 97s (range above inadvertently omits 97s).

FLOP

The flop is good for the opponent because it has middle cards.

FLOP: AFTER I CHECK

The hands that I bet on the flop, either as premium made hands, or as draws, are no longer in my flop-checking range. This leaves me with: (1) mostly marginal made hands; (2) no premium hands; (3) 9 draws that I will check-raise; and, (4) 12 junk hands consisting of bottom pair and underpairs.

TURN

The opponent has bet 12 BB into a pot that has 14.5BB, almost a pot-sized raise.

On the turn, I'm left with the marginal made hands that I called. I continue to call all of these hands because my range is strong, consisting of top pair, middle pair with top kicker (A8) and middle pair that can river a straight (10 8). However, the opponent's range is also strong. (2H inadvertently omitted in Dead Cards shown below)

RIVER

The opponent has bet 20 BB into a pot that has 38.5 BB, a half-pot raise. Someone who plays generally well, such as this opponent, would use this sizing with a wide range -- a bluff (e.g., A10, A7), a semi-bluff (77), a made hand (A9, K9) or a premium hand (sets and straights). The 5 on the river completes a straight for hands containing a 7, and I think that a significant part of this opponents range contains a 7. I think the opponent has more made hands than bluffs in his range. Thus, I call only with my best hands, K9 and Q9.

(2c and 5h inadvertently omitted in Dead Cards shown below)

Comment

Comment

Everyone folds to me in middle position with a 100 big blind effective stack early in a $500 buy-in tournament. Most of the players yet to act generally play well. My strategy:

I raise to 2.5 big blinds and the button, a loose, aggressive player, calls. The flop comes 9s-8h-6d. As this board is much better for the loose aggressive player's range than mine, and the fact that I am OOP, my strategy would be to check everything.

I check and my opponent bets 4 big blinds. My strategy: The opponent's bet would need to succeed 4/10.5 = 38%, so I should defend at least 62%

I call. The turn is the (9s-8h-6d)-2c. I check and my opponent bets 12 big blinds. My opponent's bet here needs to work 12 / 26.5 = 45%, so I need to defend at least 55% of the time. My strategy has me calling 62%: (Correction - include 7 7 in call range.)

I call. The river is the (9s-8h-6d-2c)-5h. I check and my opponent bets 20 big blinds. My opponent's bet here needs to work 20 / 58.5 = 34%, so I need to defend at least 66% of the time. My strategy has me calling or raising 74%:

Comment

February Homework 2019

Today, 11:50 AM
                                                            PREFLOP

FLOP

If I checked all flops and B bets.

If I check turn and B bets.

If I check the river and B bets.

Last edited by tyro38; 02-03-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

This is the first time I have used the range analyzer or submitted homework so be kind!

This is my usual opening range from middle position when folded to.

Name:	Feb2019 HW 1.png
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	13720
                                                              I raise 2.5 BB and a LAG calls from the button. Here is my range breakdown on the flop of 9s,8h,6d

Name:	Feb2019 HW 2.png
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	13721
                                                              I am still betting my over pairs, sets & two pairs for value and also so we can easily hang around to raise against the LAG.
                                                              I am betting a lot of the suited Ax as well as other obvious draws so that I don't have to much value betting on the flop.
                                                              I am checking back a lot of my 9's, 8's & 6's as well as a lot of my over card combo's so if big cards come on the turn we have some of those in our range.
                                                              A lot of the 9,8,6 combos also have the 7 which is great if we improve and also blocks his 7's.
                                                              I have also left 99 in my check back range to strengthen it up as I can easily trap with this hand against LAG with the view to raise river if the run out is not terrible for us. I chose 99 instead of 88,66 as the lower sets don't block our opponent having a 9 when we bet flop with over pairs, also 99 needs little to no protection? Thoughts?

We check and opponent bets 4BB, This is my calling range.

Name:	Feb2019 HW 3.png
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	13722
                                                              I am basically calling with everything in my check back range for this sizing except the lowest pairs KJs but I could probably just call with this as well now I'm looking at it.

The turn comes 2clubs, I check & LAG bets 12BB. Here is my turn range

Name:	Feb2019 HW 4.png
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	13723
                                                              This is where I think my math may be off? He bets 12BB into 14.5BB (26.5BB) and I need to call 12BB to win a pot that will be 38.5BB (My bet/pot + his bet + my bet) so I need approx 31% equity to call. I think all my calling range definitely has this but fear I am still folding to much to this sizing? If so I would likely include AK & AQ in my calling range to make sure I am not over folding to LAG.

We call and river comes 5 hearts. Here is my river range

Name:	Feb2019 HW 5.png
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	13724
                                                              Again I feel like I might be over folding on this river now I look at it but not sure. (need to do ore work on minimum defense frequency!)
                                                              I now have a river raising range with my straights. I understand he may have 10-7 but still willing to go for more value against his other strong hands, especially with 77 as it block is straights.
                                                              99 & 65 now are calls due to the obvious straight.

Thanks guys, keen to hear your thoughts.
                                                              Attached Files

Comment

This is my second attempt at the homework and I am still trying to learn the range analyzer, so please be nice.
                                                                Overall, it appears we check called to the river, so here are my thoughts below.

Last edited by 3dmabe; 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Name:	Open.png
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	13754

Name:	flop.png
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	13755

Name:	flop 2.png
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	13756

Name:	turn.png
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	13757

WIth raising range completing straights with decent portion of my range, I have to find a bluff. Best I can find is T8s blocking the highest straight, although it is marginal made hand.

Name:	river.png
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	13758

Comment

Thoughts: no need to play hands like KJo,QJo,JTo as we are deep against decent players and might be OOP.

Thoughts: Bet 75% pot when betting, we have decent amount of value hands. Be prepared to double barrel certain turns as villain might be floating.

Thoughts: Check-fold small pairs as we might be ahead now but will be hard to call on turn/river. Check-call some draws like 87s/67s/77 as they are both marginal and strong draws.

Thoughts: 2c is very bad turn for our strategy so going to give up a decent amount. Avoid calling with a T as it blocks villain draws like JT.

Thoughts: Don't donk river as we are concealed. Villain might triple barrel his draws or value bet his strong hands. Folding T9 to most unless he is a maniac in which case you could consider hero calling with AK.

Comment

Comment

Hand: ??
                                                                        Position: MP2 (lojack)
                                                                        Stack: 10,000
                                                                        Blinds: 50/100

At a table of with players who are solid, I don't include the small pairs and some of the smaller suited connectors as they don't get paid off as well as they do against loose passive weak players.

Against an aggressive player, my range is going to be more value heavy than standard. Here my ratio is slightly over 1:1 instead of 2:1.

I had to keep K9 and worse in my marginal range to maintain a good marginal:junk ratio for my checking range. Additionally, about 10% of the time, I will check 99/88 as a randomizer.

Preflop (150) - Hero raises to 250, Button calls.
                                                                        Flop (650) - Hero checks, button bets 400, Hero ??

I would call with the marginal and fold the junk.

(I guess maybe AT could be a call here with a gutshot and 2 overs.)

Flop (650) - 9s, 8h, 6d: Hero checks, button bets 400, Hero calls
                                                                        Turn (1,450) (9s, 8h, 6d) 2c: Hero checks, button bets 1,200.

This is a large bet. I should technically be continuing with a little over 1/2 my range.

Flop (650) - 9s, 8h, 6d: Hero checks, button bets 400, Hero calls
                                                                        Turn (1,450) - (9s, 8h, 6d) 2c: Hero checks, button bets 1,200, Hero calls.
                                                                        River (3,650) - (9s, 8h, 6d 2c) 5h: Hero checks, Button bets 2000.

My MDF for this bet is 65%.

I am continuing with 18 hands of 27. I chose T8s for the balance as it blocks the nuts, without blocking top pair as T9s does. And yes, he could have T7, but 77 blocks that pretty well and he would be in a bind with his other value hands, but would have to call with at least some of them.
                                                                        Last edited by jjpregler; 02-15-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Middle position range pre flop 100BB Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb.Pre.png
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	13900 Flop range Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb.Flop.png
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	13901 Flop call Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb.Flop Call.png
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	13902 Turn Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb. Turn.png
Views:	60
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	13903 River Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb. River.png
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	13904

Comment

First of all, my strategy early in the tournament is to survive to the end of the rebuy period and play a much tighter game than usual. With this being and in this situation, I would open raise (2.5X) with a range of JJ+ and AQs+. My strategy would be to keep my LAG opponent in the hand when I know he is playing a very wide range from the button. When he raises the flop, my check is to induce him to bet/bluff, so I call. Based on the flop, I know I'm ahead, so when he bets I'm in check/call mode for the flop & turn. With the LAG betting 20BB -- effectively 50% pot. I call with the intention of jamming the river to get him off the hand and win approximately 78BB.

Comment

• #42
                                                                              Play a tightish range as opponents behind me are generally good.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (1).png
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	13940

Bet draws and overpairs aggressive as the LAG is likely to give value. Strengthen checking range as opponent is a LAG by including top set TT and some draws.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (2).png
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	13941

Call marginal hands, top set and TT. Fold the rest

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (3).png
Views:	64
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	13942

Call with TT, 99 and A8

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (4).png
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	13943

When calling the turn I think calling the river the same is the right play. Opponent is a LAG after all. Call with TT, 99 and A8. I could fold A8 depending on the read and notes I have on the opponent.

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (5).png
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	13944

Comment

• #43

I think opening a standard range here with plenty of implied odds hands is the way to go when deep stacked early in a tournament.

Name:	2-15 PF.png
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	13952

The strategy here is to bet all premium made hands and any sort of draw being heads up. I need to be ready with a loose aggressive player behind to face aggression if my opponent raises my bet. I should call a raise a bit wider than usual against this type of player. My checking range consists of a few over card hands without backdoor draws as well as one pair hands and some junk. I need to be ready to check call wider as well if I have a good read that my opponent will bet at the sight of weakness.

Name:	2-15 F1.png
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	13953

My checking range consists of generally weak hands especially on a coordinated flop but with my opponent is loose and aggressive, my strategy should be to call a bit wider than usual. With a bet of 4 BB into a 6.5 BB pot, I think I should be calling with roughly 60% of my checking range, maybe more with an aggressive opponent.

Name:	2-15 F2.png
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	13954

This turn card should not change much but the large bet size of 12 BB into a 14.5 BB pot is a hefty price to continue calling with only a couple of overcards. The large bet could mean the opponent is bluffing and trying to steal the pot in position, is on a draw himself and trying to maximize fold equity or does have a premium made hand like a set or 2 pair. However, I do not have many bluff catchers in my range. I think I should still be calling with roughly 50% of my hands in this range.

Name:	2-15 T.png
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	13955

Facing another bet of 20 BB into 38.5 BB seems like a value bet to me. Sure, he could be firing a third bullet with 2 overcards but I think it is more likely he has either hit his open ended draw or wants value out of two pair, top pair or a set. He is not scared of me hitting a straight on the river since I checked to him. I think most of my range needs to fold besides 55 since I can beat the two pairs and top pair hands that he is value betting. The rest of my range is only bluff catchers.

Name:	2-15 R.png
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	13956

Comment

• #44

Comment

• #45
                                                                                    PREFLOP

This is my opening range from middle position: Click image for larger version

Name:	Open raising range from MP &gt; 40BB.png
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	13960

FLOP

Knowing that villain is loose and aggressive and plays well, we should check with some good draws in order to protect our checking range. If we don't do that, we will have a very weak range by the river and will get demolished.

Accordingly, we will slightly adapt our range so that we can check with some of the open-ended straight draws, especially hands with a 7, in order to have nut hands in our checking range when the straight comes in by the river.

Name:	My range on flop 9s8h6d.png
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	13961

After we check and villain bets, we play our flop checking range as follows: Click image for larger version

Name:	My range on flop 9s8h6d after BTN bet.png
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	13962

TURN

After villain takes the lead on the flop, we will be checking with our whole range both on turn and river, with the intention of check-calling or check-folding, according to the following graphs: Click image for larger version

Name:	My range on turn 9s8h6d2c.png
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	13963

RIVER

I interpret villain's line (bet 61% pot on flop, 83% pot on turn, half pot on river) as a 7 that got there on the river and is betting for value. What bluffs does villain have on the river? None. His obvious bluffs on flop & turn just got there. Therefore, I should check-raise all-in with my nut hands (A7s, 87s & 76s) and fold all the rest. Click image for larger version

Name:	My range on river 9s8h6d2c5h.png
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	13964
                                                                                    Last edited by RIPAces; 02-10-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• #46
                                                                                      Without using any range analyzers for my first post. I'm keeping it as simple as possible.

If I know I'm playing against good solid players, early in the tournament. I'm sticking to a tighter range. Folding any hands that could easily be dominated, would not show well post flop, or would make me fold to a re-raise preflop. I can play with a bigger range, but would like my opponents to see me as a straight forward/tight player early on.

I want to keep the aggression, I do not want to check, allowing my opponent to have aggression on a flop, when I have an AK or so that doesn't hit the board. If he has a value hand that involves a set, two pair, or the straight. Then so be it, but I cannot allow him to have a lot of bluffs against me as well. I would make it 4bb myself.

If he were to call, it would still allow me to make my own decision on the turn.

If he were to raise, I would fold my cards that haven't connected in any way. I'm not going to battle someone who will most likely connect with a board like this. This does involve some bluffs my opponent could make. But in the long run if I call, I'm likely losing alot of chips. If I push, all that calls me, beats me. At least when he calls, I can have him in with some worse hands than my own, especially if I improve on the turn.

If I were to check-call, I have also connected or knowing he's loose and aggressive, I wouldn't mind letting him bet and set him up to bet his entire range, while my check-calling range would most likely have him beat(All of this being situational and not every time with every player). With him perceiving my range as tight/passive, it will most likely lead to mistakes made by my opponent.

If I get called, I'm probably giving up with hands that haven't connected in any way and hoping for a check back to improve just enough for a thin call on the river if the board seems ok to do so. Meaning if he checks and a A-J comes on the river, sometimes I would have enough reason to call, if I made top pair or win the hand in showdown.

If I check-called. I am not in the hand unless I have either connected or I'm on a strong enough draw to continue. So all of my range that doesnt involve with these cards at all, are not being played this way, against this opponent, in this hand.

Again if I check, I am comfortable with him betting and will likely make a move depending on what I have and how much he bets.

I myself, won't have hands like J-10, A-7, or 9-8 much, considering my preflop range. But I would have 99-66, AA-1010, and maybe A10-A9.

When I see he bets 1200. Believe it or not I think calling is in my best interest. With value being my main goal, and value without losing my whole stack. As much as I would like to raise. I would lose money either way, by making my bluffs fold, my draws fold. Also I don't want to get priced in to go all in with the worst hand. I'd rather call off a river bet, than be forced to call a much larger bet after a raise. Because with my range, I'm never folding.

Going with my range:
                                                                                      With a set: I'm calling every time. I cannot raise because there would be no money to make since I'm OOP and a call wouldn't mean I win. It also keeps my stack still reasonable if I'm beat. But would gain 25% of my stack when I'm the winner.
                                                                                      The only hands that beat me are straights my opponent already had, or straights that he connected with. Which I even make sometimes. But I could beat hands like two pair, A-9 and A-10, and pure bluffs. Which given by his nature, he would have.

With an over-pair: Would most likely fold, may call every now and again if I pick up a tell. But I would not win much. The only hands I beat are top pair and bluffs.

With A-10 and A-9: Would fold instantly. Hands like 87 made it. And a lot of two pair hands would be good against my range and would not win most times. Leaving me with 82.5bb which is fine.
                                                                                      Last edited by Powell444; 02-10-2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• #47
                                                                                        This is my first time trying to answer the homework. Here is my Pre flop opening range from MP

Comment

• #48

Keeping my range pretty tight as there are several players behind me who may 3-bet

I'd continue with my nut hands and also straight and some back door draws. Keeping JJ in my checking range for balance, especially on a scary board that is better for villains range

I'd call the flop bet with overcards, JJ, and 55. Folding lower pocket pairs

Im not a fan of this board and giving up on this hand except for JJ and AT.

With the river completing the obvious straight draw I think I'd call with JJ and fold A-10. Don't really like it though.

Comment

• Jawns
                                                                                            Jawns commented
                                                                                            Editing a comment
                                                                                            I feel like an aggressive player is very likely to double barrel this board, so I feel like you are folding too many hands on the turn. By check-calling the flop and check-folding the turn, I feel like you're basically giving up almost every time. I don't know what the perfect answer is to this though, but I would check-call with a stronger range on the flop, because otherwise you can't really continue with anything.

• #49
                                                                                          Hi Jon, this is my first homework so forgive me if I make one or two mistakes. I'm in morning coffee most days under the name Lewis Powell so you might remember me. Thanks for the sale otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford this subscription.

This is my preflop range, on a standard 9 handed table I don't really plan on raising small pocket pairs until at least the CO not sure if this count as middle position or not but for the basic of my answer I'm gonna assume its from the LJ. In a tournament I generally play fairly reasonable with in general about 22-24 VPIP online. Considering the players play fairly well and standard I've chose not to raise too many hands from MP. If the opponents were tight I would open my range up and include some small suited gappers, all pocket pairs and some QJo, QJo, A9o, J8s etc.

This is my post flop range, tbh I didn't think it would take me this long to think about this. But I have decided to bet my suited aces as draws except for clubs and draws which also hit the board with a pair I had decided to add to my check call range instead to keep some backdoor draws more hidden and because I have showdown value. My range has a few more draw bets than value bets but I think it seems fairly balanced. You talk about having a 2:1 draw to value range but I'm not sure what hands to add. A bit worried that my checking range is a bit weak. I have decided to check pocket 10s rather than bet to balance my range. I choose to slow play no nut hands as I slow play pretty much never unless its a dry board where I'm unlikely to get action by betting. Ac7c and AcKc have been added to the marginal made check range and the remaining 10 combination of club hands have been added to Junk. AcQc and AcJc should have been in marginal made rather than Junk. So should be 88 MM and 44 junk.

Here I have only called with my over pairs and top pairs. This bet is quite strong so I'm folding all my hands which still have draw potential as I'm not getting the right price. I have unfortunately forgot to consider hands that I might lead the turn with. However with my weak range and it being a bad turn card , I don't think any of my hands are worth betting.

Since you've told me I'm up against a LAG player, I will assume they are capable of triple barrel bluffs. Unfortunely the run out is bad for my range of hands I have left. My opponent might try and rep the 7 since he's aggressive and might of bet his draw twice since he's got a range advantage. Considering this train of thought that could be going on since he's a capable player, I'll call with my overpair and fold everything else as my hand remaining hands could be dominated. I don't like the call but feel like against this type of opponent that it would be exploitative to fold everything. Unfortunately my only calling hand is blocking the obvious bluff on JTs so this may lean me towards a fold. But the only hands in his range will probably be a set probably 8s and 6s or 98 suited in which there are 2 combinations.
                                                                                          This has been my first homework and I must say it was challenging, time consuming and very fun to think about the game on a deeper level. Hopefully I can receive feedback on how I did since its my first one, looking forward to the next one.

Comment

• #50
                                                                                            Since the villains are good players and its early in the tournament I want to see as many flops as possible with hands that can flop well.

I plan on betting with strong made hands and good draws. I have a lot of hands that I list as marginal that will be checked and most likely folded to a bet.

Since my strong made hands and draws that I raise are now out of my range since I checked. I call with the following hands, I may still fold some of the hands that are at the bottom of this range depending on my read on the player.

I no longer have many premium made hands but I call with my pairs and straight draw, I check fold the rest.

Comment

• Jawns
                                                                                              Jawns commented
                                                                                              Editing a comment
                                                                                              Not sure if I'm the only one, but I can't see your images...

• #51

Ok I wanted to try this again. I tried to edit my first attempt to no avail!

Here is my open raise pre flop range from MP. Early in tourney I want to create tight image.
                                                                                            My calling and 4bet range against LAG

Assuming I just called with this entire range. I would be trying to trap LAG by ck calling all my strong made hands and raising draws.

Altough 97 87 67 all got there I think more of his range misses and I can call with big pairs and raise my sets and 7's for value

Comment

• #52
                                                                                              Hi, new to the site, and probably not the greatest player in the world, but let's give this a shot!

Originally posted by the10kclub View Post
                                                                                              Considering that I might be a little bit out of my depth, I might play a bit tighter than normally, however if the good players realize that I am out of my depth, I might just play right into their strategy. On the other hand I could loosen up a bit to prevent that, though I am a younger guy, and I may just end up looking like a guy that's too loose, which I also don't want.

So I'll probably just play what I consider a decent opening range (though I could be wrong, I need to study some range charts...):

I feel like this flop hits my opponents range a lot better than mine, so I don't think I like betting, and I would probably check my whole range.

When I check my whole range, I feel like either calling or folding is the most natural option. However, since this is a board that the opponent can bluff a lot, I need to make sure I have enough calls. I'd also lean more to calling with hands that have a chance of improving, and thus might continue to call if he double or triple barrels (like pair+gut shot type hands), rather than hand that have some value now, but will struggle if he continues being aggressive, which I think he likely will (hands like A6 of clubs):

This is annoying but expected. Considering that his sizing is relatively big, I think I can justify folding quite a lot of hands. Certainly all the draws that completely bricked the turn, and probably quite a few marginal hands. I don't have a raising range:

One of the worst cards in the deck. It's really difficult for the opponent to have nothing when he triple barrels this board, even if he is aggressive. I probably need to find a lot of folds here. I'm also not sure about raising here, even with a straight, because the opponent should have a straight fairly often, and he could have the 10 high straight, whereas I probably never have that. In the end I decided to fold everything worse than 2 pair, not only because 2 pair is a pretty good hand, but because those hands don't block his obvious bluffs = hands with 2 high cards:

Also, if it turns out I'm folding the river too much, I'd probably add the 9xs hands to my calling range rather than TT to AA, because TT to AA once again, blocks his obvious bluffs:

I'm not sure this is the best play, whether I'm overfolding or overcalling some spots, whether I played too passive etc. One idea I have toyed with was having a check-raise range on the flop, with my best hands and best draws:

I don't hate this play, it's aggressive and kinda takes back the initiative, but I also don't love it, because my range is capped, I never have a straight. Thoughts?

Comment

• #53
                                                                                                Last edited by 1Peter510; 02-11-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• #54
                                                                                                  PreFlop

Name:	PreFlop.png
Views:	65
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	13995

Name:	Flop.png
Views:	64
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	13997

Wow, I didn't read the question through so when I C-Bet everything on he flop then discovered I had checked I had to go back and make some adjustments so I had some hands available to continue with.

Name:	Flop he bets.png
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	13996 Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn.png
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	13998

Name:	River.png
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	14001
                                                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• #55

This is my first homework

I don't know how to access and use the Ranger analyzer everyone is using. (First time doing anything written out like this) and I have no idea what i'm doing. But, here goes.

Mostly tight aggressive opening range from middle

22+,ATs+,KTs+,QTs+,J9s+,T8s+,98s,87s,76s,65s,54s,A To+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo

JJ-66,AQo-AJo,KQo,AQs-ATs,KQs-KJs

AA-QQ
                                                                                                    ,AKo,AKs

5 bet+:

KK+

Placing him on a button range such as:

88-22,ATs-A2s,KJs-K8s,Q8s+,J8s+,T7s+,96s+,85s+,74s+,63s+,53s+,43s,AT o-A7o,KJo-K9o,Q9o+,J9o+,T9o,98o,87o,76o,65o

Check: OESDs, bottom set, strongest overpairs (76s,87s
                                                                                                    ,J10+,66, QQ+)

CB: Pairs, top sets, gutshots (22-55, 88-JJ, 45s,55,65s, T8-Ts, QJ, K10, A10)

Fold: everything else

Check Raise: Over pairs (QQ+)

Call: OESD, Bottom Set (76s,87s
                                                                                                    ,J10+,66)

Call: OESD, 66s

Raise to pot-size bet with whole range.

Sorry that was so long.

Comment

• #56

Caveat: Just signed up for PokerCoaching. 1st HW submitted. Total winning lifetime might be $1000. Can barely beat home game. But very hard worker, pretty good at math, and great at following instructions. Planning on great things! Enough about me...

He bets 4BB into 6.5 BB in pot. Strategy is to fold the junk above (brown). Call with the marginal made hands (green).

{ Pot is now 14.5BB }

Comment

• #57
                                                                                                        This is my first Homework response. I am trying to do it in a similar style as some posters above. I deliberately didn't look at required frequencies to defend/raise on the different streets, because - quite frankly - I do not do that in a live game either at this point. Seems to me, it is the best way to find my problem areas if I answer the questions as close to what I would do in a live setting at this point in my poker career. Chances are, I am way off on some of my decisions and I am looking forward to becoming a better player with continuously completing these homeworks.

Basically already answered this above (i didnt have c/r range - is that bad?), all the green hands:

Checking entire range on this turn, so every green hand from before is still in my range on his 12 BB bet. Strategy:

Last edited by jcarter; 02-13-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• #58

Comment

• #59

Comment

• #60
                                                                                                              Mid position open range vs decent players Click image for larger version

Name:	R13-027013.png
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	14048

Flop strategy vs button Junk is check fold - Marginal is check call - just
                                                                                                              carried marginal (green) ahead

Name:	R13-047716.png
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	14049
                                                                                                              Turn strategy - am folding junk and calling / carrying everything else ahead

Name:	R13-071265.png
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	14050

River - have all reds, blues and greens from turn here

Name:	R13-035956.png
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	14051

Comment

• #61

Preflop strategy vs LAG Button (if he 3-bets):

Comment

• #62

SHOVE with these hands.

Comment

• #63
                                                                                                                    Hello. This would be my 2.5x opening range from middle position with 100bbClick image for larger version

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (1).png
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	14067
                                                                                                                    Suppose the button calls a loose aggressive player. Flop comes 9s-8h-6d whats your strategy ?Click image for larger version

Name:	FTT Range Analysis.png
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	14068
                                                                                                                    Suppose you check and your opponent bets 4bb. Whats your strategy?Click image for larger version

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (2).png
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	14069
                                                                                                                    Turn is a 2c. We check and the opponent bets 12bb. Whats your strategy?Click image for larger version

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (4).png
Views:	57
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	14070
                                                                                                                    River is 5h. We check and the opponent bets 20bigs .Whats your strategy ? Click image for larger version

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (5).png
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	14071

Comment

• #64
                                                                                                                      Ok first time doing this. I know i'm way off. but at least i'm trying.

SHOVE with these hands.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Patrick G; 02-15-2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• #65

Name:	1-Preflop.png
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	14077

Name:	2-Flop.png
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	14078

Name:	3-Flop.png
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	14079

Name:	4-Turn.png
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	14080

Name:	5-River.png
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	14081

Comment

• #66
                                                                                                                          Preflop default MP opening range -

Flop - 9s-8h-6d vs LAG caller. High frequency check board from OOP as board smashes IP caller range - I will simplify flop strategy to check 100% and play from there.
                                                                                                                          [Still slowplaying AA,KK as they need least protection - and we can call down easily]

Turn - 2c - rainbow. V bets 12bb in pot of 15bb. Massive bet - we can sligtly overfold here. So, we fold all A8,K8 which we would otherwise call.

River - 5h. Villan bets 20bb in 37bb pot. MDF ~ 60%.
                                                                                                                          Q9 is marginal and will call basis opponent bluffing tendency. Folding Q9 in lower stakes for sure and not bluffing T8s in low stakes/early stages.

Cheers!

Comment

• #67
                                                                                                                            The preflop range and flop strategy are given as follows. Since our X/F is such a hgih number of combos, we can't be calling enough after checking and facing a bet if we play even a few hands out as bets,even with traps with AA,TT etc we are just not able to call enough. As a result,I choose to check 100% of my range. After X/F ing the required combos however,we can call down barrels with a lot of our hands on a lot of runouts so it may be acceptable to make a X/R range but it's unlikely to have hands that can play 3 streets for value(overpairs e.g.),so we can play this flop with pure X/C or X/F.X/R would also make the range narrower so it's probably better not to split ranges. Our preflop and X/F,X/C strategy are as follows:

2c turn. We can continue with most of our value and give up some of the gutshots,especially those which could be dominated by JT when the 7 gets there.

River is a good one,and 7x is effectively nuts because neither has T7 here. For raising with bluffs,I choose A9 and AA as they block the A7s in villain's range. I'm not sure calling down with KK is very profitable but if we fold we are folding too much.

Comment

• #68
                                                                                                                              Good afternoon and thank you for the review. I will be very interested in knowing where I might be able to improve. This was my first and very much a challenge.
                                                                                                                              ~Dave

I will raise everything in my range by 2-1/2 to 3 of the Big Blind.

I will bet with my premium hands and my draw hands at about half-pot. I will check with my marginally made hands and my junk.

Since I checked, I assume that the premiums hands from above drop off entirely. If not, those would be a 3-bet if they were still in play. Otherwise, I would call on most of the draws and marginally made hands from before.

I will call on most of my opened ended straight draws and my pocket pairs and made pairs with high kicker.

I would either fold or raise all in. I have made what would appear to be the nuts with the 7 or a good set with my 5's. He could have flopped the nuts with the 10/7 but that is unlikely. He could have a set of 9's, 8's or 6's that would beat my set of 5's, but it is very likely that there is a 7 in play to complete the straight.
                                                                                                                              Last edited by davery; 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM.
                                                                                                                              ~davery

Comment

• #69
                                                                                                                                Hello i am new and will try my best to improve

For the raise that would be my range from middle position:

In that situation thats my choice:

Yea.. so i am out

Regards!

Comment

• #70
                                                                                                                                  my first homework!

preflop i'm playing 30% from middle position, raising everything i play. i try to construct my follow-ups so i cover the deck if possible, i.e., i have something in my range to capable of hitting any flop, whether i 4-bet or flat to a 3-bet. i also like to hold back aa. people see you do this just one time and then they're afraid you have a monster on any sequence.

i love a good c-bet as much as the next guy, but i don't see it accomplishing much here. my range it more dense in bigger hands, but the flop is more likely to connect with villain's. mostly a c-bet is likely to simply get called almost automatically and then all i've done is made the stakes higher but i still don't know where i stand. checking keeps the pot small with a not great flop for me and gets villain to clarify where we stand.

if he checks back the flop, i can bet almost any turn for value or draw even with just k-high.

see range above.

if he bets, i can re-raise with the straight or a big draw and i can let my misses and underpairs go.
                                                                                                                                  note i'm also letting q9o and j9o go. it's too easy to call these down to the river only to be out-kicked or worse.

still no reason to lead out. checking 100% of my range.

if he bets, i'm raising my sets and top two pairs, letting go of my hands generally worse than top pair without an ace kicker or a draw.
                                                                                                                                  keeping q9s and k8s for balance.

once again i'm checking 100% of my range.

if he bets, i'm calling my straights and the 2 pairs and top pairs that i've check-called to this point with. also calling with aa and kk, but letting qq and jj go as i need a few more folds here.

Comment

• #71
                                                                                                                                    This is the first homework question I've answered since I joined. I'm curious to see what you think with what I've come up with

This is what my default open raising range from middle position full ring would look like. Considering we are going to get 3-bet light from the CO player or the BTN player at a higher frequency than a player in any other position I think we must have a balanced polarized 4-betting range against these opponents if they were to 3-bet. The 16 combos of the suited wheel Aces are good candidates in my opinion. I'd 4-bet with AK rather than calling because I'd rather not go to a flop out of position where I'm going to miss 2 out of 3 times (and of course I block AA and KK). If I got the impression my opponent may get sticky with TT and JJ I may 4-bet QQ too. But in this case, as per the homework question, we have to assume villain would play well against a 4-bet. As for the raise / 3-bet call range I'd prefer to call with medium and baby pocket pairs, middling suited connectors assuming we're getting at least 10 : 1 implied odds. I'd rather fold the broadway suited hands as I really want to avoid marginal situations out of position and these broadway hands like AJ, KQo, KJ, QJ etc have high reverse implied odds. My playstyle is to pick my spots as well as I can to maximize edge and there are all sorts of miserable sitautions that could arise from continuing with hands like AJs, ATs, KJs against a strong range out of position. That said, KQs may be too strong to let go as it does connect with more boards.

Against a LAG opponent I think checking with some premium made hands is an excellent exploitative adjustment to make to exploit their tendency to blast off. It also makes sense to protect my checking range against an opponent who tends to extert pressure. On this middling board where overcards may well come on later streets (and weaken my perceived flop check-calling range) villain has an added incentive to bluff with a wide range at a higher than normal frequency (with the idea of firing multiple barrels) so I think protecting my checking range on the flop here is absolutely necessary. In this situation I'd prefer to check with my super strong hands - sets and 98 for 2 pair - as these hands are not as vulnerable to overcards as the one pair hands - and due to blockers we'd know our opponent is bluffing more frequently when we have those holdings. As for bluffs, I like bluffing with all overcards + gutshot hands and all overcards + backdoor draws, as there are a number of playable turns and rivers and that is essential when deciding to plan a potential multi-street bluff out of position, in my opinion anyway.

Assuming that villain will likely bet the turn and possibly the river it doesn't make sense to stick around with many marginal hands on a middling board. The unpaired unsuited broadway hands are effectively useless in this situation once we decide to check with them. We'd have to get lucky and hit one of 6 outs on the turn to make top pair and even then we may not be ahead and go on to lose even more money, we may also lose on the river anyway. We should also fold the baby pairs and A6 since these hands are just not good enough to withstand a reasonable amount of pressure over multiple streets. Not least those hands are incredibly vulnerable without being able to improve often. I would decide to continue by just calling so we can execute out the plan mentioned above - to keep villain's betting range as wide as possible and maximize value that way. If villain is bluffing with all overcard + straight draws and backdoors and maybe even low equity bluffs like KQ and KJ no backdoors they'd only have 37% equity against the weakest hand in our check-calling range which is A8. We want villain to think our check-calling range is somewhat weak so when an overcard comes, this type of opponent will likely think it is a great card to barrel, which it usually is against a weak check-calling range on that flop. The only hand that would likely have to fold if that were to happen is A8 but we are expected to fold out a portion of our check-calling range on each street facing aggression so that's just fine. If the turn is a brick though then we'd have to call with A8 since villain's betting range is likely bluff heavy. As a side note I like calling with A8s on the flop but not A6s because A8s still beats 87s, T8s and J8s and villain may decide to bet with this hands for value / protection.

A brick did come so I am continuing with my entire range here. Also villain has continued with a polarized bet size. We likely had the best hand on the flop so we're likely to have the best hand on the turn. We're getting better odds to call than villain has odds to bluff so we must call on this brick turn with 100% of our range here I think as played. Villain may decide to check back some portion of the time but still I think they'd be bluffing wide enough to not even make us consider folding any of our hands. As on the flop, if an overcard comes on the river I'd have to strongly consider folding A8 on the river (and also 87 and 77 since there are no more cards to come). There's nothing more to say other than check-calling with our entire range here to solely maximize value from villain's bluffs - and we may decide to check-raise for value on the river with our very best holdings which would likely stack our opponent so it's not as if we need to get a check-raise in for value on the turn in order to stack our opponent.

Any draw containing a 7 gets there, but most of the draws in villain's range were overcard + gutshot draws and those hands contain mostly 10's and J's but not 7's. If villain had a hand like 87s or 76s on the flop I doubt he would have polarized his range as much as he did throughout the hand. Assuming we're correct in our analysis of our opponent's range on each street then I think we have to call again with our entire range as villain does not have straights often enough and he may well be betting a scary card because he has no showdown value and must bet to have a chance of winning the hand. On this river A8 is as good as 99 since villain is only likely betting straights on the river for value. Because of this and the fact that my range is capped to 9 high straights, I prefer check-calling with our straights too. We wouldn't be able to gain value from a worse hand than a 7. Also both players are unlikely to have T7s but villain may conceivably call with T7s on the button whereas I will never be open raising with T7s in MP. We'd have no check-raise bluffs so it doesn't make sense to raise when there is a non zero % chance our opponent could have the nuts. So yeah, I think hero calling as light as second pair is correct against a bluff heavy range where most of villain's bluffs bricked out.

How did I do?

Comment

• #72
                                                                                                                                      Everyone folds to you in middle position with a 100 big blind effective stack early in a $500 buy-in tournament. Most of the players yet to act generally play well. What is your strategy? Probably playing a pretty generic tight-aggressive strategy. Not getting too wild with my preflop open ranges and mixing in some 4 bet bluffs against opponents who don't seem to only be 3betting nutted.

Suppose you raise to 2.5 big blinds and the button, a loose, aggressive player, calls. The flop comes 9s-8h-6d. What is your strategy? With this flop it seems that i have a range advantage but my opponent probably has a nut advantage, yes? Even some of the better hands in my range like over pairs really don't want o face a raise on the flop, so i think i should be checking everything here? I have many made hands but there are VERY few that are happy to face a raise OOP on the flop.

Suppose you check and your opponent bets 4 big blinds. What is your strategy? Going to be check-calling all pairs+better, combo draws, and some suited broadways that have backdoor potential.

Suppose you call. The turn is the (9s-8h-6d)-2c. You check and your opponent bets 12 big blinds. What is your strategy? Verse a loose aggressive player i think i need to be calling with all my pairs, decent draws and nut hands.

Calling with all my best pairs and nut hands. Folding out draws and weaker pairs

Comment

• #73

Last edited by Wolfe; 02-15-2019, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• #74

I am raising pretty wide here. Noted below:

With the range above, I will use the following strategy: I am checking pretty much every flop and going with this:

I will be folding all my junk hands and calling raising as stated above. Pretty much not going to do anything but check and call/raise/fold the same hands as the flop question above.

Now I have to believe that the aggressive player has at least something, ranging from marginal made hands to the nuts, as well as sets, two pair hands ETC. I am continuing as below.

I will raise all my trips, two pair and any draws I have left. Trying to get him off marginal hands and any top/top situations.

If I have my premium made hands here, I am rasing for value. Pretty much raising the straights (as they are non-nut straights, probably not all in) folding the one pair hands and calling with two pair plus, trips.

Last edited by fasteddief; 02-15-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• #75
                                                                                                                                            MP Opening Range:

Flop Strategy:
                                                                                                                                            (Mistake - 98s should be bet as a Premium Hand)

Bets 4 into ~ 7.5, MDF is 65%.
                                                                                                                                            (Mistake: 98s should not be in this range, so I will call with AJo as well)

Playing OOP, I will likely under-realize my overall equity somewhat severely, so I just want to defend with the MDF: Bets 12 into 15.5, MDF = 56%.

Bets 20 into 39.5, MDF= 66%. Balance my Jam Range with ATs that blocks the nuts. Call with T8s because it blocks the nuts, fold J8, Q8 because those hands block some of his bluffing candidates.

Comment

• #76
                                                                                                                                              1. Everyone folds to you in middle position with a 100 big blind effective stack early in a $500 buy-in tournament. Most of the players yet to act generally play well. What is your strategy?

(Discard JTo, not playing that, missclick)

2. Suppose you raise to 2.5 big blinds and the button, a loose, aggressive player, calls. The flop comes 9s-8h-6d. What is your strategy?

3. Suppose you check and your opponent bets 4 big blinds. What is your strategy?:

4. Suppose you call. The turn is the (9s-8h-6d)-2c. You check and your opponent bets 12 big blinds. What is your strategy?

This is an generally well playing villain. For this reason we must abide the MDF. MDF now is: 14.5/ (14.5+12)= 0,54.

Range:

5.Suppose you call. The river is the (9s-8h-6d-2c)-5h. You check and your opponent bets 20 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Again, we follow the MDF. On the river the MDF=26.5/46.5=0.57

Cant see the webinar live, because have to work for the bankroll. (In a job I love, no worries) Your feedback means a lot to me, keep on going man, thank you!

Comment

• #77
                                                                                                                                                My preflop strategy will be a bit snug since MP vs good players:

On the flop I will continue with

On the turn I will continue with

On the river, I will consider my villain's tendentices a lot before calling with 1 pair, if he is aggro I will not fold my 1 pair combo, if he is nitty I will fold most of my 1 pair type of hands. I will raise my sets because villain should not have many 7s that bet the turn.

If my opponent is a nit I will use this strategy instead:

Comment

• ehuechteman
                                                                                                                                                  ehuechteman commented
                                                                                                                                                  Editing a comment
                                                                                                                                                  Are you checking all those hands on the flop?

• #78

Name:	Open.PNG
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	14148

I considered a check-raising range with some zero-showdown-value hands but, because I was the preflop aggressor, I decided against it because I did not want to give up any value with my nut hands (that I would check-raise to balance check-raise bluffs) in the case of a check behind. Click image for larger version

Name:	Flop.PNG
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	14149

Suppose you check and your opponent bets 4 big blinds. What is your strategy? Click image for larger version

Name:	4bb.PNG
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	14150

MDF is 55% (14.5/26.5). The turn card is a brick, and the opponent makes a nearly pot sized bet, seeming to polarize his range. It appears he has two-pair or better, or a hand with no showdown value (like straight draws) that did not improve. Maybe I should be folding 77 here because it blocks the straight draws. It is the only additional hand that makes sense to fold that will keep me above the MDF. (All the 9s are top pair, 87 is middle pair with an OESD. If I fold AK, I move below MDF, and I am essentially folding the best hand if the opponent is bluffing a semi-busted straight draw.) Click image for larger version

Name:	12bb.PNG
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	14151

Suppose you call. The river is the (9s-8h-6d-2c)-5h. You check and your opponent bets 20 big blinds. What is your strategy? Click image for larger version

Name:	20bb.PNG
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	14152
                                                                                                                                                Edit: I did some thinking about the river while listening to the sermon this morning. (I know, much cognitive dissonance.) I think this is a situation where MDF goes out the window because of the nut-heavy range of my opponent by the river. I think the only bluff here is JTs. What else does he turn into a bluff? 98? Sets? Surely not. Sets are too strong to bluff here, and what stronger hands does he cause me to fold? I think I should fold all but 7s because there is so little in his range that is still a bluff. Everything else was already, or has become, a made hand.
                                                                                                                                                Last edited by ehuechteman; 02-17-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• #79

Name:	FTT Range Analysis.png
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	14505

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (6).png
Views:	56
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	14508Suppose you check and your opponent bets 4 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (7).png
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	14509Suppose you call. The turn is the (9s-8h-6d)-2c. You check and your opponent bets 12 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (8).png
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	14507Suppose you call. The river is the (9s-8h-6d-2c)-5h. You check and your opponent bets 20 big blinds. What is your strategy?

Name:	FTT Range Analysis (9).png
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	14510
                                                                                                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• #80
                                                                                                                                                    was wondering as this is a bad flop for are range, and a good flop for villains range, thus we would be check folding somewhat higher,
                                                                                                                                                    on the flop and expect villain to bet often...

we check 100% of are range on the flop and

balance the check call check fold check raise....for 100% of are range.

Comment