Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn $50 into 100k in 3 years or less

Hello Everybody,

My name is Robert and I have been playing Texas Holdem since around 2004. I consider myself a student of the game, as I am always trying to move my game forward. My poker journey up until this point has been very tumultuous and turbulent. I have had some small scores online, which is what I mainly play, in the past but nothing over 1k. However due to blatant disregard of bankroll management, and tilt issues, I would almost always lose any winnings back playing in too big of games, and any other remaining bankroll I had as well. This has been a long vicious cycle for me.

A few months ago I finally signed up for pokercoaching.com. This training site is awesome and I love all the content. From it I think I may have isolated some mental game issues i'm having, and have really learned how important Bankroll Management actually is and how it affects me playing my "A" game. So from all of this I have derived a bankroll challenge for myself much like that of Boku87 on pokerstars, before black friday hit. I want to turn a $50 online bankroll into $100,000 in 3 years or less, and then cash it out. I am doing this for ACCOUNTABILITY here on this forum. I will be applying my winnings, after taxes, to the premium on my mortgage, which will almost pay it off.

Now as I have a full time job, my target for play time is 20 hours per week and 5 hours of study. I feel like 3 years is a long time to work at this goal, which is fine because I don't want to feel pressured for results. I am not going to be upset with myself if I don't achieve this, however I will be let down if I don't give it everything I got and don't abide by the following rules.

RULES OF THIS CHALLENGE

1. You are allowed to play any tournament where the buy in is 2.5% of your bankroll or less. You are allowed to play any cash game where you have 40 buyins.
    2. If you are playing in a cash game you must buyin for the full amount.
    3. You can always play a game with a $2 buyin or less.
    4. If on any given day you lose 10% of your bankroll you must quit for the day.
    5. You can only play No Limit Holdem
    6. You must maintain a 1/1 ratio of play to study.
    7. After every session I play I must post screenshots of my bankroll amount.
    8. Any rewards gained during this challenge can be used towards your final goal.
    9. Its perfectly fine to buy into a tournament that you won a satellite for, as long as that satellite cost no more than 2.5% of your bankroll.

I will be playing mainly STTs, and MTTs, on Americas Cardroom as SableJewels. I will be keeping screenshots of all tourney lobbies played which are available upon request.

Thank you for your time in reading this and hope to see you all out there.

PS if you think I can improve on this or if you have Ideas that will help out feel free to chime in.
    Last edited by Fiskers1982; 07-13-2021, 08:44 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	0 Size:	140.8 KB ID:	50120

Starting Bankroll of $50.02 on 06/18/2021

Click image for larger version  Name:	1st.JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	50121

My records sheet 06/18/2021
    Last edited by Fiskers1982; 06-18-2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

First results are in -$3.12 after 2 STT's...Overplayed AQ suited in one and took a +EV 9bb shove with K9 off in the other running into pocket tens and losing on the bubble.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	50142

Bankroll is at $46.75

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	50143

Looks like I can play 1 more at $2 or less and if I lose I have to quit for the day per challenge rule #4
      Last edited by Fiskers1982; 06-18-2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	50145
        Well doesn't look good for me tonight...Lost in a $2 Spin N Go...-$5.12 on the day and we'll hit it again tomorrow.
        Last edited by Fiskers1982; 06-18-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	50147

Ending Bankroll of $44.75

Comment

Good luck. Please keep letting us know how you get on - I find peoples blogs on this sort of thing useful to help me understand my own progress (or lack of it)

Comment

Good luck mate make sure you definitely make time for as much study as possible

Comment

Updates? I think this is a cool challenge

Comment

I can see you've put in quite a bit of effort into your plan which is good to see, but I do see a few issues. This is supposed to be friendly and constructive so please don't take offence.

Originally posted by Fiskers1982 View Post
                  1. You are allowed to play any tournament, or cash game where the buy in is 2.5% of your bankroll or less.
                  You need to be far more specific than this. Keeping 40 BIs for a game is probably enough for very soft cash games, but anything else and you're likely to go broke in the long run. Check this out: https://pokercoaching.com/classes/of...ll-management/

3. You can always play a game with a $2 buyin or less.
                  This is in direct contrast to your own first rule. The games you play should be dictated by your bankroll.

6. You must maintain a 4/1 ratio of play to study.
                  In my opinion you need to massively boost your study. Your ratio is more applicable to people at the very top of the poker world where any gains they stand to make from studying are marginal and they benefit more from getting the volume in. If I was you, I'd be aiming for closer to 1/1 ratio. I think this is what Michael Acevedo recommends in Modern Poker Theory but I could be wrong.

Reading through your posts so far I can see you've played at least one spin and go, as well as your plan to play both cash and MTTs. These are basically 3 different games. They require different strategies, different bankroll requirements and come with different levels of variance. I would suggest sticking to mainly MTTs or cash as your primary game, and dabble in the other if you enjoy it. Spin and gos require MAJOR volume to be able to grind up a profit.

Why aren't you using a HUD? Are these not allowed on America's Cardroom?

Comment

• Fiskers1982
                    Fiskers1982 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for commenting...I actually like a lot of your advice and plan on amending my plan o 40 buyins for cash like you suggested, as I actually I just learned that cash games have less variance than tournies. As far as rule number 3 stating I can always play a $2 game I picked up from Chris "Jesus" Ferguson's bankroll challenge on Full Tilt years ago. I mean hopefully I never get to the point where all I have left is $2, but if I do I have alot of options because of this rule. I really want to do away with playing the Spin n Gos just because I feel like the variance is way too high. So I will just focus on MTTs and cash, with cash being my primary. And as far as studying I have come to realize that I actually love doing this almost as much is playing so I will just go at it harder. Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions

How's this challenge going?

Comment

• Fiskers1982
                    Fiskers1982 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Still active....sorry i haven't been on in a minute

UPDATE: So I cant lie and say I actually have been sticking to my rules. Mainly I have been struggling with the buyin levels when my roll is short. I always just want to play the 0.25/0.50 blitz cash games with a $60 buyin, where I actually feel I have some edges. Obviously this is bankroll suicide. It is what it is. I don't have problems playing staying within my bankroll rules playing tournaments. Also I have not been tracking my results at all, which I know is necessary and something I need to work on. I also feel like it can be a distraction. Anyways, currently I have run my bankroll up to $290 mainly from playing cash and I just took down the $1 buyin $400 GTD hyper for $84 bringing my total to $375.45. And as long as we're being honest I would like you all to know I had this bankroll exponentially bigger at one point and, due to very poor bankroll manangement, I donated it back. Also I have amended my rules as far as minimum number of buyins for cash games, and I plan on keeping my excel sheet going but I will only be posting screenshots of my bankroll and any other big tournament scores. What do you guys think? Suggestions?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Fiskers1982; 07-14-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	36
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	50651

Comment

Name:	Untitled3.png
Views:	37
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	50653

Comment

Just got home from work sat down at some 0.05/0.10 Blitz poker and made another $26 in about 40 minutes...gonna take a short break and look for some tournaments to register.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	50700

Comment

• shutemdwn
                          shutemdwn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not a bad start, you're doing pretty good.

Alright everyone I've been preoccupied for the last 3 days at a country music festival with my wife and I have had nothing to do with poker the whole time. So now I feel recharged and ready for a good session. Here is a current bankroll screenshot before I get started. $410.08

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	50783

Comment

Had a series of very small wins at 0.05/0.10 blitz cash, then I also played a $1.65 and a $0.55 SNG with no cash and then finally I took 2nd place in another $0.55 on demand SNG. When it came down to heads up my opponent had me at a 6 to 1 chip advantage. I managed to grind it back to almost even eventually losing with my Ace 8 running into his Ace 9 preflop all in. Up about $4 in the roll at this point and Im gonna get some more volume in...

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	11
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	50788

Comment

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	50790

Comment