Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue's Journal

About Me

Hello everybody! I go by Blue, or some variation of that, on the internet. Poker has interested me ever since the Moneymaker days, watching the WSOP with my brothers on the tv and playing at home just for fun with a cheap stack of chips we bought at Walmart. Later, I played on and off on Pokerstars, barely a winning player, but I still made some money and had fun. After Black Friday, I didn't play again for years and years. I eventually got sick and had to move back home with my parents, and finding work that I can do has been nearly impossible, so I started thinking about poker again. I've dabbled here and there, but only recently got a bankroll together that I could work with, and winning three months of premium coaching here gave me the kick in the pants to really get going.

I doubt I'll ever become a high-stakes player, my physical and mental health sort of exclude that as a real possibility, but I do think I'll be able to do well enough, and my experience since starting the coaching here seems to be pointing in that direction. Right now I'm really just focusing on cash games, because I rarely am able to maintain focus for longer than an hour or two at a time. Being able to just click 'sit out' whenever I start getting fatigued is just too important to me right now.

My Goals

(I totally didn't look to LondomImp's thread for inspiration for mine )

My broad goal is to make a living playing poker online. Long term, I would like to move somewhere that is friendlier to the game, both live and online, but for now I just want to grow my bankroll. To get there, I see three main things to work on:

Study

This is all a WIP, and part of the reason why I'm making this thread is to work things out. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to end up putting here, but probably something like an hour of study in the morning, and a half-hour of study after my sessions.

Practice

Currently, I can play about four tables at a time without getting overwhelmed and needing to rush. I can't, however, play four tables at once and think too much about what I'm trying to improve in my play. I won't get better without real practice, and real practice needs time to think, rather than playing on auto-pilot. Maybe an hour of this a day? Two? I'll probably put this time earlier in the afternoon when games are tougher, because of...

Grind

...this. Learning is great, practice is great, but I want to build my bankroll. I'm tired of putting it off. I want to put 2 to 4 hours a day into this(more if I'm feeling like I can handle it). With my current situation, I can put all of my winnings right back into my bankroll, so I don't need to worry about pulling money out for expenses

I need to have things written down and worked out, so I'll be improving on all this, as well as taking any advice into consideration. In the meantime, those are my actionable goals. Here are the milestones I want to reach:

Volume

5k Hands per Month
    10k Hands per Month
    20k Hands per Month
    30k Hands per Month

Earnings

500bbs per Month
    1000bbs per Month
    1500bbs per Month
    2000bbs per Month

TL;DR - Update 5/31/2021

Last edited by LBPokerNA; 05-31-2021, 09:44 PM.

Hey Blue, great goals, like that their mostly input goals as opposed to results. LondonImp is also a pretty good example to emulate for this kind of thing lol.

What's your formula for estimating hands on Global? I also play some on Global and since I started by hands and not just time, it has bothered the shit outta me that my estimations might not be good lol.

I'm generally working with 80h/hr/table

Comment

• LBPokerNA
      LBPokerNA commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dilly. For Global, I just notate the hands/hour listed for each table in the lobby, every hour when the profit/loss popup hits. That part is pretty accurate, the biggest problem is when a table starts breaking. If I end up playing half an hour short-handed, I'll sort of arbitrarily pick a number between the listed value and 70.

It's annoying, but I figure I'll stop once I hit 10k hands and just keep whatever number I end up with. So far, I'm averaging 71h/hr/table.

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      LBPokerNA makes sense, some of the things I hate about Global I understand, but you would think they could at least tell us how many hands we played lol

Good luck mate, I'm looking forward to your updates.

Comment

• LBPokerNA
      LBPokerNA commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I appreciate it(and your own thread)!

May 2021

Okay, the plan is to update this post throughout the month, and focus on my study and practice goals. It's too easy for me to want to jump right into grinding . To try and distance myself from the money aspect, I'm going to focus on a fully-input-based tracker. I'll still track my wins and losses, but I'm going to try and look at them as little as possible.

So here are the metrics I'm going to track daily:
    • Status - This I have found to be very important. I have a couple of questions I ask myself to make sure I'm in the right frame of mind, emotional control, etc. If it's red, no playing poker for the day.
    • Hours Studying - A minimum of one hour a day. I want to also do a minimum of thirty minutes after playing to review key hands, but I'm starting with smaller, more easily achievable goals.
    • Hours Practicing - This is where I play just one table, with specific goals for the session. For instance, I don't 3-bet or 4-bet bluff nearly often enough, and that's one thing I'm working on right now.
    • Hours Grinding - Multi-tabling as many tables as I can handle(currently 4-6 at once) without getting overwhelmed or making exceedingly poor decisions.
    • Volume - Hands played
    DATE STATUS STUDY(HRS) PRACTICE(HRS) GRIND(HRS) VOLUME
    9 11.6 11.3 15.3 5916
    5/1/2021 n
    5/2/2021 n
    5/3/2021 y 1.5 1.0 3.0 895
    5/4/2021 n
    5/5/2021 y 1.0 1.0 3.5 1093
    5/6/2021 y 0.8 1.0 2.0 711
    5/7/2021 y 0.8 1.0 1.0 431
    5/8/2021 n
    5/9/2021 n
    5/10/2021 y 1.0 0.5 2.0 590
    5/11/2021 y 1.5 1.3 0.3 209
    5/12/2021 n
    5/13/2021 n
    5/14/2021 n
    5/15/2021 y 1.0 1.0 1.0 350
    5/16/2021 n 1.0
    5/17/2021 n 1.0 1.0 83
    5/18/2021 n 1.0 1.0 95
    5/19/2021 n
    5/20/2021 n
    5/21/2021 n
    5/22/2021 n
    5/23/2021 n
    5/24/2021 y 1.0 489
    5/25/2021 n
    5/26/2021 n
    5/27/2021 n
    5/28/2021 n
    5/29/2021 n
    5/30/2021 n
    5/31/2021 y 1.0 2.5 1.5 970

5/17 - I really haven't been feeling great a lot of days this month, as you can see by the status column, but I'm going to try to at least get an hour of study in on those days, and if I can, also an hour of single-table practice. Unless I'm having a very bad day, I should be able to handle an hour of one table, and I won't start to feel 'rusty'.

5/31 - Well, it's been a rough month, lol. My health hasn't been great, and a scattering of obligations throughout the second half of the month left me often feeling very drained. There were a lot of days where I started up a video lesson, but I simply couldn't focus no matter how hard I tried. Oh well

Results

First of all, I messed up the auto-save on my spreadsheet, so I ended up losing the details of a lot of sessions. I ended up just putting in one session of approximately the number of hands and number of lost BBs over those hands. I'm still a bit annoyed with that terrible downswing I had, but I pulled through and started winning some hands again. I don't know if it's common to bounce around hundreds of BBs like this or not, but I can't really see what I could realistically change to lower the variance. At the stakes I play, I just as often stack someone who calls down two streets with a draw, or not even a real draw, to blast the river all-in, as I do someone who actually has something.

Regardless, I'm happy with how the month turned out. That line is 5BB/100, which is lower than I would like, but it's still positive so I won't complain. I'm enjoying what I'm learning on the site, and look forward to continuing to grow!

I'm going to add this to the long-term chart in my first post(I have to recreate that one too, lol, and update some of my goals.
    Last edited by LBPokerNA; 05-31-2021, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• LBPokerNA
      LBPokerNA commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm... annoyed. I won't say discouraged, but definitely annoyed. I'm down 12 buy-ins over the 1000 hands I've played on the 10th, 11th, and 15th. I know my play isn't perfect, but it's definitely not this bad. I'm heading back down in the stakes for a while. I'm going to try and keep up my study and practice hours, I'm not sure about the grinding though. Maybe I'll single-table more for the rest of the month.

June 2021

Same as last time, I'll update this post throughout the month.

So here are the metrics I'm going to track daily:
    • Status - This I have found to be very important. I have a couple of questions I ask myself to make sure I'm in the right frame of mind, emotional control, etc. If it's red, no playing poker for the day.
    • Hours Studying - A minimum of one hour a day. I want to also do a minimum of thirty minutes after playing to review key hands, but I'm starting with smaller, more easily achievable goals.
    • Hours Practicing - This is where I play just one table, with specific goals for the session. For instance, I don't 3-bet or 4-bet bluff nearly often enough, and that's one thing I'm working on right now.
    • Hours Grinding - Multi-tabling as many tables as I can handle(currently 4-6 at once) without getting overwhelmed or making exceedingly poor decisions.
    • Volume - Hands played
    DATE STATUS STUDY(HRS) PRACTICE(HRS) GRIND(HRS) VOLUME
    13 15.0 31.1 29.9 11357
    6/1/2021 y 2.0 1.5 1.9 907
    6/2/2021 y 1.0 1.4 2.4 947
    6/3/2021 y 1.5 2.2 2.2 496
    6/4/2021 y 1.0 2.4 0.8 504
    6/5/2021 y 1.0 4.0 0.0 368
    6/6/2021 y 0.5 1.6 2.4 1033
    6/7/2021 y 0.5 1.0 2.5 741
    6/8/2021 y 0.2 2.2 4.7 1770
    6/9/2021 y 0.6 3.0 5.7 1414
    6/10/2021 y 1.0 5.4 0.0 480
    6/11/2021 y 1.5 1.3 3.0 1157
    6/12/2021 y 1.2 1.0 3.6 1030
    6/13/2021 y 1.0 4.2 0.8 510
    6/14/2021 n 0.5 0.0 0.0 0
    6/15/2021 n 0.0 0.0 0.0 0
    6/16/2021 n 0.0 0.0 0.0 0
    6/17/2021 n 1.5 0.0 0.0 0

6/4 - So far this month is going very well. Even on the days I've been tired, I've had enough mental clarity to be able to sit and study/play. I cut my grinding session short tonight because I had spent so much time on a single table and was starting to feel fatigued, even though I was running extremely hot. I was up 3.25 buy-ins in 50 minutes

6/5 - I'm finding a lot of value in spending more time on a single table right now, compared to grinding. I've gone back to 6-max games partially because they are easier to find, partially because there are less charts and situations to learn about, and partially because it's easier for me to pay attention to just 5 other players, instead of 8. I'm getting better notes, and finding more opportunities to be exploitative.

6/6 - I got tilted tonight, and I'm not proud of how long it took me to just quit. I had some bad beats, and ended up losing about 150bbs more than I should have. On the plus side, I recognized the tilt and stopped far sooner than I have at times in the past. Emotional control is a struggle for me, but I am getting better. On the other plus side, I'm proud of the hours I'm putting in so far this month.

6/7 - I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed with concepts, which is why I ended up cutting my studying short. I need to be more focused on the topics I choose to study. Tonight, everything was about playing draws. I feel pretty comfortable with them now, on the flop... but on the turn and river I start to really wonder, lol. I'll get there.

6/9 - Wow, I've already passed my total hands played from last month. I still need to work on the mental aspect of the game so I don't flip out when someone cold-calls a three bet with T4 and ends up beating my KK with a full house. Or so I can focus when it's noisy in the house, lol. I had the weirdest session today, started out very slowly winning money, then two hours later I won a stack. Then I went on a real heater, hitting sets, straights, and full houses left and right... and not getting paid at all with any of them. Then I got coolered, tilted, blew another buy-in, and spent almost 5 hours getting it all back(and then some).

6/11 - I almost had my best day ever, lol. After two people basically just handed me their stacks right after sitting at a table, I kept growing my winnings for the night. I even set myself a stop-loss, but blew a bit past it after losing to a 30% river hit and then getting up against AA with AK. Still a great day for me. After reviewing several videos on how to handle draws, I'm noticing a huge change already in my equity realization in those situations.

6/17 - Health has been down the last few days. My last session was crazy, I sat at a table with an absolute maniac who was running hot, and struggled between his willingness to just bet pot no matter what he had, and another player who sat to my right and seems to have a personal vendetta against me for reasons which escape me. I'll admit, between a series of terrible flops and that player's goading in the chat, I ended up tilting and didn't stop playing when I should have. Later, I discovered how to mute players, so I'll be utilizing that in the future.
    Last edited by LBPokerNA; 06-18-2021, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• NewbieFish
      NewbieFish commented
      Editing a comment
      The tilt is real for us both, I think. I personally am sticking to a single table right now to both minimise any tilt loses and maximise my concentration.
      And maniacs, yeah, high variance stuff, always frustrating. I'm avoiding them mostly at present, for psychological reasons until I get my mental game better- trying to concentrate on he semipassive fish type.

In terms of the studying subjects, being focussed is what seems to be the general advise. Let us know if that helps, I'm also trying that approach (this week its Big Blind defence for me). Lexi and Matt have some good videos about study, here on the site ,if you haven't seen them. I think Gripsed does as well. They all recommend finding one subject and then studying the heck out of it for a week.

Congratulations on getting the volume in, that's not easy ,and it sounds like the studying on the draws is paying off well - good luck !
Working...
X