Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue's Journal

About Me

Hello everybody! I go by Blue, or some variation of that, on the internet. Poker has interested me ever since the Moneymaker days, watching the WSOP with my brothers on the tv and playing at home just for fun with a cheap stack of chips we bought at Walmart. Later, I played on and off on Pokerstars, barely a winning player, but I still made some money and had fun. After Black Friday, I didn't play again for years and years. I eventually got sick and had to move back home with my parents, and finding work that I can do has been nearly impossible, so I started thinking about poker again. I've dabbled here and there, but only recently got a bankroll together that I could work with, and winning three months of premium coaching here gave me the kick in the pants to really get going.

I doubt I'll ever become a high-stakes player, my physical and mental health sort of exclude that as a real possibility, but I do think I'll be able to do well enough, and my experience since starting the coaching here seems to be pointing in that direction. Right now I'm really just focusing on cash games, because I rarely am able to maintain focus for longer than an hour or two at a time. Being able to just click 'sit out' whenever I start getting fatigued is just too important to me right now.

My Goals

(I totally didn't look to LondomImp's thread for inspiration for mine )

My broad goal is to make a living playing poker online. Long term, I would like to move somewhere that is friendlier to the game, both live and online, but for now I just want to grow my bankroll. To get there, I see three main things to work on:

Study

This is all a WIP, and part of the reason why I'm making this thread is to work things out. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to end up putting here, but probably something like an hour of study in the morning, and a half-hour of study after my sessions.

Practice

Currently, I can play about four tables at a time without getting overwhelmed and needing to rush. I can't, however, play four tables at once and think too much about what I'm trying to improve in my play. I won't get better without real practice, and real practice needs time to think, rather than playing on auto-pilot. Maybe an hour of this a day? Two? I'll probably put this time earlier in the afternoon when games are tougher, because of...

Grind

...this. Learning is great, practice is great, but I want to build my bankroll. I'm tired of putting it off. I want to put 2 to 4 hours a day into this(more if I'm feeling like I can handle it). With my current situation, I can put all of my winnings right back into my bankroll, so I don't need to worry about pulling money out for expenses

I need to have things written down and worked out, so I'll be improving on all this, as well as taking any advice into consideration. In the meantime, those are my actionable goals. Here are the milestones I want to reach:

Volume

10k Hands per Month
    20k Hands per Month
    30k Hands per Month
    50k Hands per Month

Earnings

$500 per Month
    $1000 per Month
    $1500 per Month
    $2000 per Month

I just recently started tracking my sessions, and since some of my play is on Global, I've put everything together in Excel. The hands played are approximated, but fairly close. I play 10NL to 50NL currently. I think another run-through of the cash game masterclass is in order.

TL;DR - Update 5/1/2021

Last edited by LBPokerNA; 05-01-2021, 04:42 PM.

Hey Blue, great goals, like that their mostly input goals as opposed to results. LondonImp is also a pretty good example to emulate for this kind of thing lol.

What's your formula for estimating hands on Global? I also play some on Global and since I started by hands and not just time, it has bothered the shit outta me that my estimations might not be good lol.

I'm generally working with 80h/hr/table

Comment

• LBPokerNA
      LBPokerNA commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dilly. For Global, I just notate the hands/hour listed for each table in the lobby, every hour when the profit/loss popup hits. That part is pretty accurate, the biggest problem is when a table starts breaking. If I end up playing half an hour short-handed, I'll sort of arbitrarily pick a number between the listed value and 70.

It's annoying, but I figure I'll stop once I hit 10k hands and just keep whatever number I end up with. So far, I'm averaging 71h/hr/table.

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      LBPokerNA makes sense, some of the things I hate about Global I understand, but you would think they could at least tell us how many hands we played lol

Good luck mate, I'm looking forward to your updates.

Comment

• LBPokerNA
      LBPokerNA commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I appreciate it(and your own thread)!

May 2021

Okay, the plan is to update this post throughout the month, and focus on my study and practice goals. It's too easy for me to want to jump right into grinding . To try and distance myself from the money aspect, I'm going to focus on a fully-input-based tracker. I'll still track my wins and losses, but I'm going to try and look at them as little as possible.

So here are the metrics I'm going to track daily:
    • Status - This I have found to be very important. I have a couple of questions I ask myself to make sure I'm in the right frame of mind, emotional control, etc. If it's red, no playing poker for the day.
    • Hours Studying - A minimum of one hour a day. I want to also do a minimum of thirty minutes after playing to review key hands, but I'm starting with smaller, more easily achievable goals.
    • Hours Practicing - This is where I play just one table, with specific goals for the session. For instance, I don't 3-bet or 4-bet bluff nearly often enough, and that's one thing I'm working on right now.
    • Hours Grinding - Multi-tabling as many tables as I can handle(currently 4-6 at once) without getting overwhelmed or making exceedingly poor decisions.
    • Volume - Hands played
    DATE STATUS STUDY(HRS) PRACTICE(HRS) GRIND(HRS) VOLUME
    4 4.0 4.0 9.5 3130
    5/1/2021 n
    5/2/2021 n
    5/3/2021 y 1.5 1.0 3.0 895
    5/4/2021 n
    5/5/2021 y 1.0 1.0 3.5 1093
    5/6/2021 y 0.8 1.0 2.0 711
    5/7/2021 y 0.8 1.0 1.0 431
    Last edited by LBPokerNA; 05-08-2021, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X