My 2021 Targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2021 Targets

Most of my 2020 targets died a death quite a few months ago.

Time to realign myself again for 2021 with some new goals and give these a much better go.

Switching from cash to MTTs 2 or 3 months ago was the best decision I have ever made in poker (I would highly recommend you strongly consider doing the same) and so all my targets will be based around this.

What are my goals?

1) Volume
    Easy: 1,000 MTTs
    Actual: 1,500 MTTs

Hard: 2,500 MTTs

2) Multi-Tabling
    Easy: Increase from 6 tables to 9 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability)
    Actual: Increase from 6 tables to 12 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability)

Hard: Increase from 6 tables to 18 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability)

3) Study
    Easy: Complete the Tournament Master Class and continue being a regular contributor on the PC forum and Discord server
    Actual: Study 'Modern Poker Theory' by Michael Acevedo in great depth to the point where I can explain the concepts to others

Hard: I'm not actually sure - open to suggestions.

Bonus - Profit Target
    Easy: £5,000
    Actual: £10,000
    Hard: £50,000

How will I reach my goals? (Planning for the hard goals, so the easy/actual goals should naturally he achieved)

Volume: 2,500 MTTs works out at roughly 48 MTTs per week. I play on Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays. Need to try and play at least 16 MTTs in each session. I accept that I will likely be falling short of these initially, especially on a Thursday, but as I also work to increase the number of +ve ROI tables I can play at a time, I should be able to make up for the initial short-falls later in the year.

Multi-Tabling: Adding just a single table per month will get me to my goal of 18 tables by the end of the year. In theory, the first addition should be the hardest as that's an increase in tables of 17% but when I add the final table that will be an increase in tables of just 6%. In theory...

Study: My study days are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I believe this gives me enough time to reach my goal providing I put enough hours in on each of the evenings.

What might stop me reaching my goals?

The biggest factor, and this affects all my goals, is that my wife and I are expecting our first child mid to late March - so no doubt that's going to through a spanner in the works!

Volume:
    Motivation can sometimes be an issue for me in the middle of a session. At the start I am fired up, and if I have a deep-run then I play fully in the zone, but it's the grind when I start busting from the first few tournaments of the session before I start getting some cashes, then can cause me to lose motivation and I may stop entering new tournaments.

Multi-Tabling: Being unable to maintain a +ve ROI as the tables start increasing.

Study: Motivation and discipline. I work a full-time job which can often leave me feeling tired and wanting to spend my evening de-stressing in front of the TV instead of putting in the hours at my PC.

How can I avoid these problems?

Volume: My mental game needs work. I need to revisit The Mental Game of Poker 1 and 2 to uncover what may be causing my motivation errors and then work to correct them.

Multi-Tabling: There is a plan to help increase the number of tables in either TMGoP 1, TMGoP 2, or How To Study Poker, which I need to dig out, rehash for my own needs, and then stick to. The fact that I can't even remember where I've previously read it isn't great!

Study: On my PC screen I've got a post-it note that states: "Only excuses prevent me from improving my game: 1) No excuses, 2) Do the work". This certainly helps. I also need to remember why I am putting in so much work. The hours of work I have put in recently have allowed me to purchase a lot of the new things for the imminant arrival of LondonImp II (haven't confirmed that name with the wife yet, will wait until she's in a good mood) such as bottles, a pram, some warming-thing that helps make bottles in the middle of the night etc. The hours of study I put in make my life easier eventually and I need to constantly remember that. Delayed gratification, as Jonathan Little puts it.

This all looks real solid, makes sense with all the hard work you've already been doing. The one thing I would recommend is breaking down the goals into smaller weekly and even daily goals wherever possible. For me breaking it up helps me stay motivated and commit to goals--With too much leeway time I find I become complacent, even if I have to rework goals because I often fall shot, having the rigid short term goals seems to help. And with your soon to change life situation time and energy management is going to be even more paramount. Congrats on the coming child!

Comment

Looks like a good plan that you really put some thought into. I've been dabbling back into MTTs again myself and the fields definitely seem softer than they have been for a while, but that also has its frustrations lol

Are your Volume targets for a month or year? If they are for the year all I will say is that if you don't reach your 2500 target be prepared for potentially disappointing results (depends which sites you are playing) if you are playing large field events. I would actually recommend looking into playing across several smaller sites at a slightly higher average buy-in but much smaller (and softer) fields. When I was seriously grinding MTTs about 8yrs ago I had been really struggling to break even on PStars. I switched to playing smaller sites and within 3months was $13k in profit! The good ole days lol

One thing I have seen recently regarding motivation was from BencB (he has is own personal YouTube channel now worth checking out) the short version of it is that "Motivation comes from taking Action - not the other way round". So, to generate motivation for yourself you need to take an action for yourself (and not rely on an outside influence), it only needs to be a small action to get the ball rolling and even something mundane like emptying the dishwasher.

Wish you all the best for 2021 and the new addition to the family.

Comment

Thank you both for your valuable feedback and kind words.

Breaking down my targets into smaller, short-term targets is a great idea. I imagine that a series of "wins", so to speak, would help keep me motivated and on track to meet the year long targets.

My volume targets are for the whole year. I currently play on Pokerstars and Grosvenor. It's a good combination of huge fields with big potential prizes (Pokerstars), and seriously weak, small field tournaments (Grosvenor). I will need to branch out into a 3rd site soon to make sure there are enough tourneys to play in that are in my bankroll to allow the increase in tables. I recently gave GGPoker a go but they're all fancy lights hiding a shit-show behind so have withdrawn everything from there. Maybe I need to give Party Poker another go?

Comment

• Turbulence
          Turbulence commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't played there for a while but WilliamHill used to run mtts, pretty soft. Party has a decent mtt scene as well, the software can be glitchy and no hud allowed to be running whilst playing so will mess you up with other sites.

• Dilly
          Dilly commented
          Editing a comment
          That's exactly how one of the motivational speakers I follow puts it, stacking wins, he even looks at it from a daily perspective--starting your day early with exercise and disciplined work so by the time the day starts for most people you're already on the mindstate of having stacked up however many Ws.

• LondonImp
          LondonImp commented
          Editing a comment
          Turbulence - WilliamHill is on the iPoker network right? Unfortunately, Grosvenor has recently moved to the iPoker platform so I can't play on both at the same time.

Study more efficiently
        Bankroll management (something I've never bothered with but is going to be critical if I want to move up in online stakes)
        Increase my volume but nothing crazy. I'd to play 2x more so about 700-750 MTT.
        Book my first verifiable winning year

Comment

Originally posted by LondonImp View Post
          my wife and I are expecting our first child mid to late March
          All of your poker goals sound great, but to me this phrase right here cancels out everything else!

I suspect you will have much much much less time and motivation to grind at poker in a few months.

Enjoy being a dad!

Comment

• LondonImp
            LondonImp commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I think your goals look pretty solid.

Maybe make your study goal a ratio vs. time played (studylay).

I suggest setting smaller monthly goals along the way (stuff like completing TMC or MPT, or sections of such would be monthly goals I would set).

Maybe look at All in Adjusted BB/100 rather than profitability for multi tabling goal. Seems like that will better gauge how you are playing and if adding tables is causing you to make worse decisions.

Last of all, be very ready to adjust your goals once Londonimp II comes along. Having had 3 children myself, spend as much time with the little one as you can. They grow up faster than you think. Make enjoying that time non-negotiable, adjust your playing and studying time to accommodate time with the baby.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback 1Peter510 , much appreciated as always.

Setting smallers monthly goals certainly appears to be a recurring theme in the feedback here. I know the TMC is broken down into preflop, flop, turn etc. so I need to have a look at the size of each individual component and work out how long each will take (considering I want to study each aspect in detail, and not just watch the videos).

Using adjusted bb/100 instead of ROI is a really good idea, certainly until my volume starts increasing. I need to be a very honest critic of myself too. If I'm playing poorly I need to make sure I acknowledge that and not just blame it on variance. Again, bb/100 helps here.

Comment

Hi Londonlmp,
              i was just wondering why you shifted your 2021 goals to MTTs? I saw that in 2020 you set. up your goals for NL50 an didn't run so pure.

Why do I ask this question?
              Well I have been playing poker for 15years. Started low -basically free money and played on doylesroom 24 tables NL200 to NL600 (sometimes up to NL2k) ranking in leaderboards money 6 months in a row while grinding a profit. That was related to the efforts I put into my game and it all happened on a time frame of a few years. After that time I finished my studies and got into my job and somehow didn't find the time anymore to study and play as much as I liked.
              This brings me to the point where I am now. Playing without HUD until now, I have to admit that I am probably a breakeven player on NL25 and a probably a slight winner on NL16. Now I am currently in the cash game or MTT struggle :-D
              To solve this struggle and to get my game back to level it was.. I just took the premium package. Hopefully I can get back to my old self :-)

And by the way I think no matter how you run, when you look back in a few years you probably find something you are proud of having achieved for the work and efforts you have done.
              Hint: one of mine is having dinner with Doyle Brunson and some of the members of the Brunson10 (Doc Sands, Ahmet Makija, Chris Morman,.. ) and afterwards partying with Todd Brunson in Las Vegas ;-)

May the flops be with you

Comment

Hi Mike2301, thanks for the response.

There are multiple reasons why I made the switch. Here are a few in no particular order:

- Enjoyment and excitement. The reason I first started playing poker with friends was for the fun and enjoyment. Having a deep run in a poker tournament and dreaming of a big score is far more exciting to me then grinding 6-8 tables of 25NL.

- Difficulty. I know this argument could go back and forth. But my opinion is that if you put the work in then MTTs are easier than cash. The fact that there are a lot more concepts to learn in MTTs can make them appear more difficult, but to me this just means there are more edges that I can obtain over my weaker opponents by working harder, thus making it easier. On friday nights people are more likely to crack open a couple of beers and play a tournament with a 25k guarantee then sit down at a 10NL tables. I want to be in a spot to take advantage of these people.

- Personal satisfaction. Winning a tournament, even a small one, gives me a lot more satisfaction than beating cash for an evening, even if I were to crush the tables for 8 to 10 buy ins.

- Profit potential. With the HUGE fields of fish competing in MTTs at Pokerstars the amount of money I could potentially win is a lot higher than the cash equivalent.

It sounds like you had a lot of fantastic results when you started out, no doubt due to the hard work you put in. There is no getting around the fact that the game is significantly harder than it ever was before. But there is enough quality material here on PC (especially with Premium) that with enough hard work and commitment it is still beatable.

One of my favourite moments in poker, like yours, was actually based on food and not playing! Almost a year ago to the day I was lucky enough to have breakfast with Jonathan Little, James Romero, and a few of my fellow PC members from here in the UK. JL and JR then went off to play the 10k (James came 3rd I think for a huge score!) whilst I went home to grind out 10NL...

Get posting on the forum, I look forward to learning with you.

Comment

• Mike2301
                  Mike2301 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for your reply. I can clearly understand what you mean. I just never really got into tournaments as I really can't stand the streaks where you just mincash or loose but I have to say winning the tournaments (5$, 10$ - don't even remember my biggest cash probably around 3k in these small stakes tourneys) and especially the thrill you get when heads-up where you feel your heart pump heavier and heavier with every hand is clearly an aspect to consider grinding MTTs. ;-)

I know the games got tougher but I got wiser :P. I hope the premium and the upcoming 30day challenge are worth it. Been following JL for years now and never felt the surge to get back into the working fields as I enjoyed playing in home games and crushing it there as we are playing 1-2 NL with deep stacks (1-5k) and this is clearly more profitable as grinding It out online - but with Covid and all the restrictions I try to pass my time online and stepping up my game again.

GL in the MTTS

January 2021 Update

1) Volume - 223 MTTs played

Easy: 1,000 MTTs (-78%)
                Actual: 1,500 MTTs (-85%)

Hard: 2,500 MTTs (-91%)

Currently on track to comfortably achieve my "hard" target. I'm not going to change the targets yet though, considering the major life changes I've got coming up.

2) Multi-Tabling - Currently playing 7 tables (up to 8 at times)

Easy: Increase from 6 tables to 9 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-66%)
                Actual: Increase from 6 tables to 12 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-83%)

Hard: Increase from 6 tables to 18 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-92%)

This has been fine so far. Occasionally I've played with 8 tables so when I drop back to 7 it feels easier. Tables now spilling onto my 2nd monitor so missed some action the first couple of times I played but getting better. Harder to reference my ranges in game with less screen space available. May have to rethink my set-up as I continue to increase the table count.

3) Study - Regularly contributing to forum, actual progress through TMC is dissapointing

Easy: Complete the Tournament Master Class and continue being a regular contributor on the PC forum and Discord server
                Actual: Study 'Modern Poker Theory' by Michael Acevedo in great depth to the point where I can explain the concepts to others

I haven't managed to get through nearly as much of the tournament masterclass as I wanted. Progress is slow partly due to the fact that I'm trying to study every video in a lot of depth, but this approach is a bit of a motivational drainer as the progress is hard to see.

Bonus - Profit Target - Current profit: +£1,434.43

Easy: £5,000 (-71%)
                Actual: £10,000 (-86%)
                Hard: £50,000 (-97%)

Trying to not actually put too much focus on this. Hopefully if I am able to meet my other targets then a small amount of profit will naturally follow.

Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)

Tournaments: 223
                ITM: 14.8%
                ROI: 88.7%
                Adj BB/100: 5.16

These all seem fine to me. If anything, ROI seems too high to be able to realistically maintain. Adj BB/100 is a bit lower than I would be hoping for, but a lot of the MTTs played were turbos/PKOs which do result in a lower Adj BB/100.

Graph

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	45943

Comment

Hey LondonImp!

As requested; feed back!
                  I like the structure and breakdown of your year end goals.
                  One thing I might suggest (a concept that I'm learning now through my own studies/attempt at growth), is implementing weekly targets, and referencing/journaling to keep you on track. For example, the program I'm working with suggests (instead of yearly growth goals) that we work in ~ 13 week "seasons" (12 weeks of work, 1 week off), and that each week we track our progress and intentions towards completing our seasonal targets. It's more of a manner to stay focused on more controllable aspects that just the global picture. For reference, I'm working on improving and maintaining more overall win-rate/ adj bb/100; each week (on Monday mornings ironically) I take some time to write down in a word file my goals for the week, and what I plan to work on/study to achieve those weekly goals. I find it forces a bit more focus on the details, rather than just a global look at everything once every few weeks.

Either way, good luck mate! I like what you are doing with this, and I may look to implement something like this for myself to stay accountable

Cheers!

Comment

• LondonImp
                    LondonImp commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Kevin, really appreciate you taking the time to write the detailed feedback.

I always set targets for each session I play (recently I've had a focus on staying focussed/motivated through the beginning, middle, and end of my sessions, as well as making sure I play "boring" poker). I also set annual targets as above. Clearly I need some more medium-term targets too.

February 2021 Update

1) Volume - 117 MTTs played (340 total)

Easy: 1,000 MTTs (-66%)
                  Actual: 1,500 MTTs (-77%)

Hard: 2,500 MTTs (-86%)

On track to achieve my actual target. But volume was lower than I would've hoped.

2) Multi-Tabling - Currently playing 8 tables

Easy: Increase from 6 tables to 9 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-33%)
                  Actual: Increase from 6 tables to 12 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-66%)

Hard: Increase from 6 tables to 18 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-83%)

This increase has again felt managable. Although I can't always find enough games in my current buy-in level. Considering also playing on ACR.

3) Study - Made better progress the TMC. Learning a lot.

Progress the TMC has been good. Although haven't been able to join as many study sessions as I would've liked.

Bonus - Profit Target - Current profit: +£1,174.98

Easy: £5,000 (-77%)
                  Actual: £10,000 (-88%)
                  Hard: £50,000 (-98%)

Losing month unfortunately. Had a close call with a 4th place finish out of ~1,500.

Tournaments: 340
                  ITM: 17.3%
                  ROI: 43.9%
                  Adj BB/100: 4.86

ITM has actually increased a little bit. Indicative of a bunch of small cashes but no real decent runs.

Graph

Name:	graph.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	46778

Comment

Hi, I am new here and found this very interesting blog of yours. I quickly calculated that your average buy-in is around 8 dollars, am I correct? It would be interesting to hear more about your studying and how you apply it to your game.

Comment

• LondonImp
                      LondonImp commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for the feedback.

Generally I look to play a spread of buy-ins between $5.50 and €20. But, if there aren't enough games available that I want to play I play some $3.50 45 player SnGs, as well as the $7 27-180 player on demand SnGs. This has resulted in an average BI of just under $7.

Regarding how I study, there are some great resources available here on PC such as https://pokercoaching.com/classes/gr...your-study-ev/ and https://pokercoaching.com/classes/ho...study-routine/. I'd also recommend the book 'How to Study Poker' by Sky Matsuhashi.

No updates recently pal?

Interested to see how you’re getting on.

Comment

Originally posted by butlerpkr View Post
                      No updates recently pal?

Interested to see how you’re getting on.
                      Thanks for checking in mate.

My wife and I celebrated the birth of our first child 3 weeks ago so I haven't had much time for anything since!

I've casually read "Why Alex Beats Bobby at Poker" to keep my poker brain ticking over, but I haven't had chance to properly study.

Hopefully I'll be back into the swing of things in the next couple of weeks and will provide a proper update then.

Comment

April 2021 Update

1) Volume - 348 total MTTs played

Easy: 1,000 MTTs (-65%)
                        Actual: 1,500 MTTs (-77%)

Hard: 2,500 MTTs (-86%)

Frustratingly I've realised that I hadn't filtered my results to show only MTTs and I was also included the single table SNGs in my previous numbers. Still, volume was very, very low in April. Becoming a dad apparently takes up a LOT of time haha.

In order to reach my goals, here are how many MTTs I will need to play each month for the rest of the year:

Easy: 82 MTTs per month
                        Actual: 144 MTTs per month
                        Hard: 269 MTTs per month

2) Multi-Tabling - Currently playing 8 tables

Easy: Increase from 6 tables to 9 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-33%)
                        Actual: Increase from 6 tables to 12 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-66%)

Hard: Increase from 6 tables to 18 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-83%)

No progress here yet. Actually dropped to 6 tables for my first couple of sessions back but thankfully I found this remarkably easy and I had ample time to make my decisions. The "enforced" lay off has helped me get some of the theoretical side of the game straight in my head without actually working on it. The subconscious is an amazing thing.

3) Study - Nearly finished the TMC. Still learning so much.

I found my learning curve took a steep increase once I got to the turn section of the masterclass. I've put so much work into preflop and flop play in the past that I feel happy with my levels of play on these streets. I had no idea how poor my understanding of turn strategy was and so I feel I've taken a big stride forward in my game which I am delighted about.

Bonus - Profit Target - Current profit: +£1,368.91

Easy: £5,000 (-73%)

Tournaments: 348
                        ITM: 13.51%
                        ROI: 47.24%
                        Adj BB/100: 4.87

ITM has dropped off a bit, but ROI has increased. This is due to actually correcting the stats to look at just MTTs, but also indicative of a more aggressive approach lately which has seen less cashes but more deep runs.

My Adj BB/100 has increased by 0.01. A tiny increase, but better than going backwards.

Graph

Name:	Graph.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	48899

A final note. I've made 3 FTs recently which I'm very happy about, but not managed to win any of them. I secured 2nd, 3rd, and 6th. Clearly I'm happy with these in the grand scheme of things but it's several hundred dollars that I've missed out on. I can see from my graph that one of these is actually missing - sometimes iPoker results do not pull through correctly. I suspect my results are actually $200-$300 better than shown above due to missing cashes, but I'd prefer to underestimate than overestimate and so will not manually make any changes.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this, I know it's getting lengthy! If you have any feedback I am always very grateful.

Big thanks as well to kkep who has kindly offered to run my recent FTs through HRC and review the hands with me over zoom. If anyone else wants to get involved in the study session, please reply here or PM me.

Comment

• kkep
                          kkep commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You do know you can edit your tournament results right? ACR never got mine right and lately PSPA has been acting up so editing my results has become a daily routine.

• LBPokerNA
                          LBPokerNA commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "Becoming a dad apparently takes up a LOT of time haha."

I don't miss those days, lol. Don't beat yourself up over it, things will settle down. Then they'll be busy again, then settle down again. Next thing you know they'll be taking care of themselves. Keep it up!

• LondonImp
                          LondonImp commented
                          Editing a comment
                          kkep - Yeah I'm aware of this - and I try to go in and amend all my rebuy/add-on MTTs as well as iPoker PKOs as these are normally completely wrong. I don't actively check PT4 at the end of my actual sessions though and so if I didn't actually know about my 3rd FT recently I would have no idea it was missing. This is something I should probably keep a better eye on.

LBPokerNA - Thanks for the words of advice mate. I might have already said this before, but I felt totally prepared until the moment he was actually born and I've been winging it since haha

May 2021 Update

1) Volume - 510 total MTTs played

Easy: 1,000 MTTs (-49%)
                        Actual: 1,500 MTTs (-66%)

Hard: 2,500 MTTs (-80%)

Good amount of volume for the month when I could play, although there have definitely been sessions where other priorities have unfortunately left me no choice but not to play. My Actual target is now looking fairly tough, but I will still do my best. My Easy target should still be relatively easy to attain - as I'd hope.

2) Multi-Tabling - Currently playing 10 tables

Easy: Increase from 6 tables to 9 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (+11%)
                        Actual: Increase from 6 tables to 12 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-17%)

Hard: Increase from 6 tables to 18 tables (whilst increasing overall profitability) (-45%)

I am now playing 10 tables for the start and middle sections of my sessions. It is not easy. I am sometimes finding myself autopiloting (or worse, not realising until the end of a session that I was auto-piloting) and I feel I am pretty much utilising my total available brain power. I think I will remain here for at least the next 3 months before trying to add any more because I know a single extra table will certainly be -ve ROI.

3) Study - TMC finished. Now on to MPT.

Hard: Purchase and become proficient at ICMizer (new target)

The TMC is done, although I will put time aside to revisit the turn/river sections in the near future to test my knowledge and make sure that I fully understand the concepts. Currently reading through MPT with a view to them studying each chapter in depth once I've got a basic, holistic approach to the concepts. When I first picked up the book a lot of it seemed to be almost a foreign language, this time through so much more makes a lot of sense. What a relief!

Bonus - Profit Target - Current profit: +£1,342.42

Easy: £5,000 (-73%)

Tournaments: 510
                        ITM: 18.24%
                        ROI: 35.67%
                        Adj BB/100: 5.79

I fixed PT4 and it's now importing my results correctly which has led to a few swings in my KPIs. ITM seems fine. ROI continues to drop each month - the perils of playing large field MTTs without a big result. My Adj BB/100 is fairly good and also more reliable now that the sample size is getting bigger. However, as Michael Acevedo writes in MPT, "having a high win rate in tournaments tells us how good the player is at accumulating chips, but not necessarily how good they are at winning money."

Graph

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	49775

Comment

Working...
                        X