Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detecting Nut advantage & range advantage : smartest way to learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detecting Nut advantage & range advantage : smartest way to learn?

Hi all.
    ok, so, one of the weaknesses I’d like to work on is that …
    ….I’m poor working out when i have (or lack) the nut advantage and/or the range advantage at the flop.

is there a good structured way to study this…?

…or is it a case of legwork,legwork,legwork…load some likely ranges into equilab (loose, tight, middle-roadish…, calling, raising, 3bet) and just plow through all the (many) combinations of their position, your position, their action preflop, categories of flop …. And trying to analyse/understand/memorise/grok the general matchups …?

At some level you do have to just get the repetitions in looking at spots with an equity calculator and or solver outputs.

But things to consider in game when you don't have a spot memorized well:
    - Who's range is composed of more strong single pair hands?--> range advantage
    - Who's range is composed of more premium hands? (this will depend on the board, 2 pair may be premium on 972r but less so on JT9ccc,)-->Nut advantage
    - Who's range has more air? -->range disadvantage
    -Who has more strong draws?-->range advantage.

Remember all of this is in terms of their overall range. Even with many strong hands, wide BB range almost never have the range advantage because they will always have a ton of hands that just completely miss the flop. Wide BB ranges also only have the clear nut advantage when they have many 2p+ hands and many strong draws that the PFR does not.

Consider Villain's connectivity as well. Even if we have a strong range advantage from more top pair hands and more nut hands if villain has a ton of marginal made hands and decent draws a small bet probably isn't right because they can defend easily.

Always think about position, even with strong advantages we check a lot OOP.

Comment

• NewbieFish
      NewbieFish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, much appreciated . One of my challenges is that i play exclusively online and thinking about all that in the short time period is going to take a lot of practice. I am slowly improving but definitely a long way to go.

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      NewbieFish I hear ya, its definitely just a lot of repetition, the more you practice the more easily you recognize the spots

Great response, Dilly . I may use this for my off-the-table work as well. Thanks man. To the OP: Yeah you just gotta do this stuff over and over again away from the table. I noticed that the more I learn what everyone's PF ranges are, the easier this becomes in game because you will almost instantly be able to recognize on certain boards "oh yeah my opponent almost never has two pair here" or "my opponent has all the sets where I only have 1 or 2". Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Good luck to both of you gents.

Comment

• NewbieFish
      NewbieFish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you - and to you!

• Maniac1130
      Maniac1130 commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome, and thank you too!
Working...
X