Implementing the GTO Ranges for Calling large opening bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementing the GTO Ranges for Calling large opening bets

I just watched the Fixing 25 Biggest Leaks course and have a question about using the ranges provided in the GTO Charts. Sometimes a table in a tournament (or cash) will have some players opening very large (say 5 to 10 big blinds) When I look at the charts I'm wondering if we should adjust to a tighter calling range. And if the chart says to 3bet for value or as a bluff it will typically now be 30% of my stack so should we then convert a 3bet for value or bluff to an All In range? I usually am suspicious of a player who opens so large consistently with all their hands. I usually try to do the opposite of what my opponent is trying to get me to do (like fold good hands pre-flop) with their very fishy open sizes. Has anyone here experience this issue with facing consistently larger than normal RFI bets? If you use the GTO charts, how did you adjust?

Our calling range is determined by our pot odds.

Let's take an example of us being in the BB.

If the BTN opens to 2bb then our pots odds are: 1 / ( 1 + 1 + 0.5 + 2 ) = 22%.

This means we should be looking to defend with all our hands that will realise equity of >22%.

If the BTN uses a large open size, for example 10bb, then this is how the pot odds are affected:

9 / ( 9 + 1 +0.5 + 10 ) = 44%.

This means we should now be defending with all our hands that will realise equity of >44%.

As you can see we need much stronger hands to defend against a larger open so yes, our adjustment to a large opening size is to tighten our defending range.

Comment

Working...
    X