My biggest leak...but how to fix.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My biggest leak...but how to fix.?

Hello everyone, newforum member here, just starting my NL journey.

ive previously played a little texas limit at microstake levels, and now have transitioned to NL, playing at microstakes.

i’m fairly happy that my preflop is adequate (on an ABC level,at least, clearly not expert)...but my postflop has a huge leak.
    I lose the vast majority of large or all in pots.
    I know we all get bad beats , but in this case i’m pretty certain its my judgement.

i’m at the stage where if i folded every all in call, i would be winning around 5-10 bb/hr. as it is, about once an hour or two i lose a large 80-100 bb pot...so after around 1500 hands, i’m down about 50bb.

so while i’m sure i have lots of areas i can improve, this seems the most urgent problem to address.
    Any suggestions on what might be a good starting point?

(i would post a hand history, but my feeling is each hand was quite different opponents & wouldnt want to swamp the thread with hand histories ...i think it may be my river stage hand evaluation ? Maybe not good decisions at turn? However, willing to take suggestions from more experienced folk about common causes... )
    Last edited by NewbieFish; 03-13-2021, 04:38 AM.

Good Luck on your NL journey!!! First things first. First,1500 hands is no where near a big enough of a sample size to see if you have a leak or are just running bad. A 100,000 hand sample is best. Second, without seeing how you played preflop or on the flop, there is no way anyone could tell you where your leak is, if you actually have one. You could be playing the wrong hands in the wrong position preflop or you could be continuing after the flop with too weak of a hand. Maybe you aren't making an adjustment of playable hands based on the opponent that is betting.

An example would be last night on PokerstarsNJ. I was playing 6 max at $.02/.05. I was 250 BB deep and I raised UTG with AJ suited. I got a min. 3-betted preflop by a player that I have marked as a nit, who was on the button and was 150 BB deep. The small blind calls. Now I am never folding that hand to a min 3-bet preflop. There is $1.02 in the pot. The flop is J72 rainbow. I have top pair, top kicker. I check and the nit bets pot. The small blind calls. What did I do with top pair and top kicker? I showed my hand and folded. The money was all in because the small blind had very little left. The cards are turned over and the player on the button has pocket kings. If I called I would have been a 4-1 dog. Most players at those stakes would have called and said it was a cooler, but it wasn't. By knowing my opponent it allowed me to get away from the hand and not get stacked.

Go to the Hand History section and post some hands and you will get feedback.

Thanks!

Comment

Hey NewbieFish,

I am new to the forums myself and am most certainly not an expert but figured I would chime in on your question.I am assuming you know you ranges and position pref-flop since you stated that you have that down. Where do you think you having the most issues, your flop, turn or river play?? Are you counting card combinations at each street, looking at your blockers to see if you can have a good bluff catcher? In micro-stakes I feel that range does not matter as most of the players do not play with ranges as they do not really study poker and just play for shits and giggles, but if you understand the possible combinations left in the deck and you understand your blockers and bluff catchers you can get the gist if a player is bluffing or playing a premium hand. Also, are you putting enough in the pot to make low hands with possibly equity fold. It could be your only raises a minimal amount that lets a fisher stick around until he or catches what they are looking for on the river and by that time you invested so much that go all in or lose a hefty amount. However, like I said I am no expert just figured I would throw some questions out that may help you with your game. Also, I encourage to watch the cash game course on pokercoaching.com

Comment

Without posting a lot of hand histories, you still could tell us, if you want to, what sort of hands you are calling all-in with? If it's top pair, top kicker, that is likely a problem. Against very good players you might have to call with those hands, because they will bluff enough to force you, but those players don't inhabit low stakes. Even if you have two pair, if the board is very straighty and flushy, and there has been a lot of action, you just have to fold against low limit players who won't bluff that board enough to require you to consider calling (they will sometimes though, and then you'll question your fold too, just the way it goes).

Also, unless I missed it, you didn't say whether these all-ins that are hurting you are all river play, after all the cards are out, or some of them involve draws. If it's all river play, then what I said above is still true. If there are any draws involved, you can see for yourself whether you and your opponents are getting lucky or not (hitting way more or way less draws than standard).

Comment

Originally posted by RCMorea View Post
          Without posting a lot of hand histories, you still could tell us, if you want to, what sort of hands you are calling all-in with? If it's top pair, top kicker, that is likely a problem. Against very good players you might have to call with those hands, because they will bluff enough to force you, but those players don't inhabit low stakes. Even if you have two pair, if the board is very straighty and flushy, and there has been a lot of action, you just have to fold against low limit players who won't bluff that board enough to require you to consider calling (they will sometimes though, and then you'll question your fold too, just the way it goes).

Also, unless I missed it, you didn't say whether these all-ins that are hurting you are all river play, after all the cards are out, or some of them involve draws. If it's all river play, then what I said above is still true. If there are any draws involved, you can see for yourself whether you and your opponents are getting lucky or not (hitting way more or way less draws than standard).
          Thanks- after seeing your post, i did a review with those points in mind. You are indeed correct, its top pair at the river.

Its not that i’m over-valuing top pair, i think its that i’m assuming low stakes players are bluffing...which of course, they werent.

in several cases i seem to have got into a weird bidding war of reraises. A strangely limited sort of tilt/ overagression i guess. I’ll have to watch for that.

thank you everyone for your feedback.

Comment

Go ahead and post all the cash hand history's you want in the cash game threads

Comment

Originally posted by kkep View Post
              Go ahead and post all the cash hand history's you want in the cash game threads
              Thank you.

...so far my ‘all in’ mistakes are blindingly glaring idiocy in retrospect, but yes, i will not be shy to ask!

Comment

Working...
              X