Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effective Stack Size

Good Afternoon All,

I have recently joined Poker Coaching Premium & got back into poker after a few years out.

I am looking at a position purely from a GTO perspective.

Say a player in LJ raises to 2.5BB with a 15BB stack.
    Me: on the BTN with a 30BB stack, I have KQo.

What should I be thinking about in this situation? Looking at the GTO pre flop charts... the 30BB chart says I should be calling in this position with some raises, the 15BB chart has me mainly raising all in with some calling.

When I am in this position should i be taking the route taking in to account the effective stack size which in this case is 15BB's. Do i need to take in account SB & BB stack sizes?

In this spot you should be thinking 15BB as your base strategy, but you definitely need to adjust for stack sizes of the blinds. If we shove 30BB over a 15BB stack's open with a 15BB shoving range, but often get called from the blinds for the full 30BB we're likely making an error. We need to make an educated guess on which opponent we're mostly to be playing against using position and reads on opponents and use that as effective stack

Comment

Microstakes? Small stakes? High stakes? Cash game? MTT? Beginning of the tournament? Near the bubble? In the bubble? Payout jumps?? Final table??? Your opponents characteristics? Your image on the table?

There are so many pieces of the puzzle bro... Take a look at a chart and make a move... that’s just wrong thinking. It is not that simple and that’s why it’s so much fun 🤩

Comment

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
        In this spot you should be thinking 15BB as your base strategy, but you definitely need to adjust for stack sizes of the blinds. If we shove 30BB over a 15BB stack's open with a 15BB shoving range, but often get called from the blinds for the full 30BB we're likely making an error. We need to make an educated guess on which opponent we're mostly to be playing against using position and reads on opponents and use that as effective stack
        Thank you Dilly for your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Borki View Post
          Microstakes? Small stakes? High stakes? Cash game? MTT? Beginning of the tournament? Near the bubble? In the bubble? Payout jumps?? Final table??? Your opponents characteristics? Your image on the table?

There are so many pieces of the puzzle bro... Take a look at a chart and make a move... that’s just wrong thinking. It is not that simple and that’s why it’s so much fun 🤩
          Thank you for your comments Borki.
          I completely agree that following a chart is a bad idea & understand that different factors mean you should tighten up / loosen up in different situations - I was looking at this spot purely from a GTO point of view as although it came from a real hand (details below) I did not have any information regarding players.

it was a $2.20 online Turbo MTT. We were on about level 6 / 7, not near the bubble I had just moved to a new table, the hand previous was still being played when i had been moved but the LJ from my example and the blinds were not in the hand.

Then came about the hand in the opening post... I did elect to just call, the BB (25BB) called too... flop A 7 2 - BB checked, LJ shoved all in, I folded, BB folded. I marked this hand for review because:
          1. Preflop play. I knew if I was in the BB with just the original raiser, I would have probably just shoved, however with the SB & BB left to act after I did not know what to do, hence looking at both the 30BB & 15BB preflop GTO charts.

2. Flop play, I Didn't know if my fold was too tight, but the BB to act after pushed me more to a fold.

Comment

I remember an interview with Phil Helmuth, where he said he folds pocket AA on a preflop shove on the first day of WSP event (I think it was WSP 🤔). People gave him a lot of hate about it... They were wrong. Phil Helmuth is a really good poker player. So he has advantage over a large portion of the field. So why would he flip his whole stack preflop and jeopardize his tournament, when he can, slowly but surely, build a large/big stack postflop? He wouldn’t 😀 That’s the difference between a gambler and a winning poker player right there! I know it’s a bit of an extreme example, since Mr Helmuth is one of the legends of the game, but it’s actually really important concept. Think about it 😉

In your exact case I would have folded this hand preflop, without even thinking about the charts. Because:
            1. LJ’s opening range should be really strong. He is (probably) the shortest stack at the table and he is not shoving, he is raising against 5 people. Why? I would say he is looking for callers or raisers. Doesn’t go all in because he doesn’t want to scare the rest of the players and not get paid with his strong hand.
            2. KQo is not in a good shape vs LJ’s opening range + there are 2 more players left to act.
            3. Zero information about the players and their tendencies
            4. Having the biggest stack (or one of the biggest) at the table gives me the opportunity to wait for a better hand than KQo or better spot to apply pressure at the short stacks on a later stage + I will have more information about my opponents later
            Because of all that I wouldn’t even think about risking half of my stack (or my entire stack if the BB decides to go all in) on this exact spot.
            With all that being said...it’s a 2$ tournament...lots of fishy players...who knows what LJ’s strategy is or if there is one... Anyway! Keep improving! Good luck 👍😉

Comment

Working...
            X