Preflop 3-Bet bluffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preflop 3-Bet bluffs

Hello, I understand that we use charts as a theoretical frame of reference, and that we must be always changing elements of our game in order to adapt to the format and the other players. How definitive of a frequency are the 3 bet bluffs scattered throughout the Preflop Charts supposed to have? For instance, do I RFI 3-bet bluff K3o on the SB every time? Or facing RFI, do I 3-bet bluff AQo UTG+1 vs UTG everytime? If so, am I 3-betting in those spots because it is a profitable play or with the purpose of operating outside a predictable range? If the 3-bet bluffs are not unconditional, am I using a break-even % to calculate the frequency of that play in tandem with my opponents' attributed fold frequency? Is the 3rd percentage within the blue column the frequency at which we should be bluffing in those spots?
    These seem to be very high risk plays, and I would love to better understand the principles behind them to more confidently govern my decisions when employing those polarized portions of my ranges.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
    Maelstrom
    Last edited by maelstrom00; 02-26-2021, 02:59 PM.

Forget the charts. Focus on exploiting your opponents! What do they do wrong? Fold too much to a 3bet? Never fold to a 3bet? Always 4bets? Never 4bets? What hands do they 3bet with? What hands do they call a 3bet with? When I 3bet I always consider the following factors:
    1. Opponents’ tendencies
    2. Position
    3. Stack sizes
    4. What happens next

You figure those 4 things out and you will be ok. Good luck 👍😉

Comment

Don't ever forget the charts! Learn how to understand why the ranges are doing what they are doing and then you can make educated adjustments, exploits from there.

You have to have *bluffs* in your range or you become predicable turning your hands basically face up. At 60BB from the SB we 3! *bluff* AQo vs UTG1 because it's profitable.
      Go look at UTG1 calling range and you will see that AQo is ahead of the vast majority of it. We also don't want to let the BB see a flop with almost any 2 and have to play OOP vs 2 V's.

3! from the SB is a unique case however because the 3! will rarely get better hands to fold which is why most of the SB bluffing range is strong hands with good blockers that preform decently well OOP.

Whereas when we 3! from in position we do get some better hands to fold with our bluffing range and when we go to the flop we often have the positional advantage, better board coverage and the strongest hands the 2! no longer has.

Comment

If you are referring to the "implementable" charts, then all freqencies are 100%.

Here's an example:a true GTO strategy might bet to open K8o 62% of the time and K7o 38% of the time, but realistically we cannot expect to memorise that. Instead we open K8o 100% of the time and K7o 0% of the time. That way our frequencies are still correct. We do of course lose a tiny bit of EV with this small deviation from GTO, but it is far less than the EV we stand to lose by trying and failing to implement true GTO.

The GTO charts on the site should clearly state the frequency of each action. For example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	example.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	46789

Here we can see that, in this specific situation, we should call QTo 43% of the time and fold 57% of the time. It's worth noting that I still use a simplified version of this and round to the nearest 10%. So I would for 40% and call 60%. The way I randomise is by simply looking at the clock in the corner of my screen. At the time of me writing it is currently 22:19. I use the final minute value as a 1-10 randomiser. So if I was playing the hand at this very moment I would only be calling if the minute was between 1-4 and so now I would fold/

In basic terms, the reason we 3! bluff is because if we never bluffed then our opponents could simply fold every time we bet and we'd never profit. The reason we balance the two is so we put the pressure onto our opponent and leave it to them to make mistakes.

If we are perfectly balanced between value betting and bluffing then our opponent needs to be playing a perfectly balanced range too in order to stop us profiting. If they call too much then we get to extract more than our fair share of value from our value bets. If they fold too often then we extract more of our fair share of value from our bluffs.

Does that clear things up at all?

Comment

Working...
        X