First Time Home Work Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Home Work Questions

I'm attempting home work for the first time and used the charts within tools to put together my open range for the October question.

The charts say AA is a limp from the SBvBB, so presumably, but confusingly to me, my ranges will not include aces despite betting out on all streets. So with that the case, what am I gaining from the homework - to improve my accuracy/frequency of bet/call/check/ fold accoring to the 4 hand catogories? And do I take into account my opponent's rage when deciding?

Also , what is the bottom for a drawing hand? From JL's tutorial it would be an over card + backdoor flush. Can it be lower than that, such as 4th pair pockets that make a backdoor straight?

Final question. JL talks of a 2:1 ratio between draws and made hands, and also 7:3 of medium made hands compared to junk. Is there a more on this I can look up because my first attempted had no where near these ratios.

I'm a baffled beginner at ranges so any help appreciated.

Cas_Cap

Range work does take a lot of practice.

For your first question on AA, the concept here is that you want to have a fairly wide limping range from the SB. You are guaranteed to be out of position for the entire hand, but you've already invested money. Any strong hand in your limping range protects the rest of your limping range. You'll want to be able to limp with AA as well as 44, or maybe 45s, and have your opponent be too worried about you having a strong hand to raise your limp. Your limp calling hands (calling a 2bet from BB) are the hands that have some value, that will flop decently well OOP. Your 3-betting hands are either quite strong, going for value, or just weak enough that you don't want to call but are too strong to fold to one bet. A hand like KQo fits in the 4 bet bluffing category, while KQs which flops slightly better, might be a call.

You should be accounting for your opponent's range as well, consider that if they don't raise your limp, this very likely caps their range, that is, its unlikely they have AA, AK, QQ, etc. (Which brings us back to AA, keeping that in your limping range means your range is uncapped, the top of your range is still possible, making you very difficult to play against in this spot). Imagine the BB vs SB chart as a starting point, but then try to decide how much tighter or looser this particular opponent might be than your base case. Also, generally, (not for homework questions but at the table) consider what mistakes your opponent is likely to make. If your opponent is aggressive against perceived weakness, then check calling with AA might be ideal. If your opponent is a calling station, betting all the way through the hand might be better.

What is the bottom for a drawing hand? THIS is really what the homework is for. Over time, with practice, learning what hands make good semi-bluffs, and how many you need in different situations so that you aren't only betting value hands. Consider: if you are only betting value hands, you become exploitable to overfolding. If you are only betting draws, you become exploitable to overcalling or reraises/check raises. Having a good ratio of bluffs to value hands to marginal check/call hands on different types of flops makes you balanced, generally unexploitable, and difficult to play against.

The best place to start is to attempt past homeworks yourself, and then watch JL go over the answers to that homework in the webinar. Each homework has a webinar attached where JL starts by going over what his range is and why, then how he'd handle various different cards on later streets. He also goes through and critiques answers that have come onto the forum, picking out the most common mistakes he's seen and detailing why they are mistakes. JL has also said that the key to this type of work is to do it away from the the table, not at the table. The more you study, the better you'll be able to feel what's correct or close enough when you play.

You will make mistakes going through the range learning process, but consider mistakes as learning experience, not a negative experience.

Comment

• Cas_Cap
      Cas_Cap commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks TB27,

That certainly gives me more direction. I will do just as you say, to go through older questions and watch the webinars.
      Though I am pretty decent at betting made hands with draws according to opponent, understanding the detail will hopefullt help define my opponent better which is a big leak of mine.

Cas_Cap
Working...
X