Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I study effectively and efficiently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I study effectively and efficiently?

I have equilab and holdem manager 3 , are there anything other programs that are ideal for studying purposes ?
    How do i construct a studying session , what do I look for in tournament hand histories , what do i ask myself ?
    I know these are basic question but a long answer . I hope these questions are covered in either other posts or videos that are an easy link so no one has to spend too much time trying to help a noob git gud .
    My intention is to absolutely as good at poker as i possibly can be starting online and maybe moving to live games when possible and with a really solid foundation .
    Book recommendation welcome , excelling books on list as that's the goal .
    Thanks in advance for any and all help

1) What is your current ability level?
    2) What poker format are you looking to focus on? Cash, MTT, SnG?
    3) How much time do you have to dedicate to studying?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonImp View Post
      1) What is your current ability level?
      2) What poker format are you looking to focus on? Cash, MTT, SnG?
      3) How much time do you have to dedicate to studying?
      First skill level is medium low , getting a feel for ranges and doing what i need to ie folding A6s against a tight raiser and 4 bet bet shoving against someone who is 3 betting way too much.
      Able to field micro MTTs sometimes 1 win 1 second place and a few mid places playing a max of 2 games at a time trying to get my thinking more on point and faster (usually one at a time and all in the past month or so since i starting taking poker seriously as a valuable skill worth investing in )
      My current focus is MTTs but my true focus is becoming a confident all around pro and want to be well rounded and knowledgeable in general but if it is considered feasible to study silly hard and make a living playing online MTTs with a bank roll as small as 25k then i would likely wanna spend my first year with a laser focus on MTTs .
      As for study time 20-25 hours a week in 4 hour blocks before playing in the evening hopefully productively looking at last nights MTTs finding problems learning from my mistakes and doing homework posted in dusty threads to track my improvement .
      I know the goal is a bit lofty and generally not recommended , but I'm a different cat and i am fully convinced it is worth a year of my time to study and attempt to go pro .

Comment

Like you correctly alude to in your original post, a complete answer to your questions would be a long answer.

Before branching off and coming up with your own study plan and sessions, I'd first work through the structured courses available here.

Are you a pokercoaching member? If so, regular or premium?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonImp View Post
          Like you correctly alude to in your original post, a complete answer to your questions would be a long answer.

Before branching off and coming up with your own study plan and sessions, I'd first work through the structured courses available here.

Are you a pokercoaching member? If so, regular or premium?
          Only regular member at the moment but panning on upgrading in the next few months ,might be that if i just start doing a homework question or 3 a week i might just come up with the answer in a month or two.

Comment

This video was very informative and helped me a lot: https://pokercoaching.com/classes/gt...k-adjustments/ - it is for premium members so not available for you at the moment, but make a note of it in case you do decide to upgrade.

Maybe check these out:

https://pokercoaching.com/classes/ma...e-adjustments/
            https://pokercoaching.com/classes/sh...cked-concepts/
            https://pokercoaching.com/classes/pl...a-short-stack/

These are all either free/standard.

It's quite a small sample size, but you are losing between 16-25bb. This is often the stack size we have towards the latter stages of tournaments where we're playing for the most money but can't yet just follow push/fold charts.

Make a load of notes, rewatch tough concepts, and post any questions that you have. You'll get so much more out of your study if you really commit and don't just simply watch a bunch of videos through once.

Comment

This is a very good book for improving study skills specifically related to poker: https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Study-P.../dp/1946965006

UK link, but hopefully Amazon is smart enough to reroute you to whatever you need.

Comment

Okay been a minute and I found a couple answers for someone in my September position , the easy answer and the one i took is get premium and do the T masterclass I'm not even done with the turn yet and understand the game much more . However in learning I found the answers i was looking for when a premium membership was fully out of reach , and things I will need to implement moving forward .

First Two helpful thing for the unstudious and ADD among us (count me there)
                1) Exercise ( push-up squat running ) , wim hof breathing , and cold showers can help you get back in the study game when you are just getting distracted every two minutes , and help deal with tilt as a bonus
                2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlU-zDU6aQ0&t=358s , a lecture on how to study better in general if like me you enter this without study habits , no grades or teachers to help push you , just you deciding what you want out of life .

But how do we study poker alone without a teacher now that we are resolved to study ?
                Well first we have to learn how to really play poker "mastering the fundamentals " is free, short and will make sure we know what the game looks like .
                It looks like two cards in hand that are definite , but it's played with schrodinger's hand if your doing it well (see schrodinger's cat ) that is to say you are always playing your range against your opponents but how do we do that , sounds intimidating right ? That's okay understanding ranges and interactions is by in large the point of studying . The huge advantage of the masterclass being talked through ranges , the why and huge data sets that you will have to make yourself if your broke but the beautiful thing is, if you are reading this you have what you need to start making the data sets .

Equilab will be your tool , it's free and that's the right price when you have no money to spend , all you need to do is take any hand you play or even make up . Now run the flop equity ( the concept of capped ranges is very important to understand taking an aggressive action like 3 betting or 4 betting means the hands are not in a checking range ) this will tell you how much you win on average it's good to be aware of this ,now take your range to the analyzer now decide how to play your range , take your opponents range and decide how to play that range on that board ( this can be taken to a few images defense and attack in both position ) now every turn card running equity and playing the ranges against each other , and the same for the river . I assume anyone reading this will know when to bet roughly (premium / draw ) however look at how well you could defend against a player betting small with almost or everything when you have a strong equity disadvantage , and consider how to leverage having all the best nut hands as part of your range (usually big polarized betting ) In structuring ranges remember to strive for 1 Premium have to 2 Draws on the flop , 1 premium 1 draw on the turn and 2 premium 1 bluff on the river ( not at the river yet in the TMC but probably good to think about how well either range can defend against a huge pot size river bet so you can make the zero equity bluff with confidence that it is the best all around play )
                Make sure you understand MDF and when it applies .

Finally once you know how to play poker for the most part every time you don't know explore the situation , talk to people in discord groups about it , run the ranges and equities and keep watching educational content. The homework questions are just about the same process so even if you aren't posting homework running the situation and seeing where JL would play different is kinda indispensable because he's a pro and knowing your doing the right thing is everything .

Well that's the best i got for now , if you looked in here thinking " hey i wanna know how to do that " i hope it helps , Remember with enough patience and perseverance you can piss through a stone ,celebrate good decisions and reads not big wins and that this is a marathon consistent effort will get you there with any luck .

Criticism and correction whole heartedly welcome .

Comment

• LondonImp
                  LondonImp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think flopzilla is pretty much essential, alongside equilab. It isn't free, but it's cheap and great value.
              Working...
              X