Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good sample size to estimate winnings/losses in tournaments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good sample size to estimate winnings/losses in tournaments?

Hi guys.

Hope you are doing well. I was wondering what kind of a sample size you need to estimate how you are doing in tournaments?

Best of luck in your games!

There's no real, fixed answer for this. The more the better. The larger size tournaments have more variance and so require a much larger sample. Some people would say 1,000 MTTs, others would say that's nowhere near enough.

Instead of focussing on a specific number, I'd recommend playing around with a tournament variance calculator (http://pokerdope.com/tournament-variance-calculator/) as this will give you a much better understanding of just how big your swings can be even playing good, profitable poker.

Comment

I would say at about 5-7k mtts you get a real idea about your true roi.The interesting to think about is that if you are studying your game and getting better,then the roi does not mean alot in this sample(because you are progressing as a player and are not static).So maybe if this is happening it would take 12-15k mtts to see credible results.All this means you should grind alot for years and still you wont be certain,but what matters is to get better and not stay static

Comment

Working...
      X