Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are bomb pots exciting? or Are you here to gamble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are bomb pots exciting? or Are you here to gamble?

I have been noticing lately more and more bomb pots. I know I am a cranky old nit but ... I don't like them. They aren't poker. And I am not here to gamble. Sure, I might not win, but I at least am trying to win, otherwise, I might as well do something else. And I wonder, do most people actually like them, or are they just going along?

No, I would not participate in bomb pots. I'm not an action junky.

Also, I don't straddle. For the same reason. If the $2/$5 game is not enough action for them, why not just play $5/$10?

Comment

• Deckhole
      Deckhole commented
      Editing a comment
      jjpregler, I typically agree with you. However, if I'm playing where they allow the button to straddle (aka Mississippi Strandle), I will often straddle when on the button when I'm in a game where position can make up for putting money in the pot blind. But I don't straddle in any other circumstance.

• jjpregler
      jjpregler commented
      Editing a comment
      The Mississippi straddle would be the exception to my rule to not straddle.

I would rather not play in hands where most of the table is short stacked, and that seems to be the situation that bomb pots create.

I don't mind a bit of fun action... but I'd rather everybody put in 5x big blinds and do a coin flip (just run out the cards without further betting) than take the risk of 3 of 9 players going bust on one hand because 8 of 9 players are short stacked.

Comment

I'm reminded of people who like to say" Oh I can't beat that game because they don't know how to play. "

Comment

A couple of years ago, I loved to gamble, until I lost a lot, which was my middle name. Now I prefer to just watch!!
        Last edited by SarahNolan; 04-27-2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Everyone saw the cash game with tony g at montenegro? He likely would not have won without straddling. which one of you is better than tony g?

people are so close-minded.
          Last edited by sumdimfarc; 04-26-2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• Cal42628
            Cal42628 commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah, but he wasn't the only one straddling against linus and such, right? they did rounds

The older generation think they rely on talent and the younger generation are idiots who memorize solvers.

Comment

• jjpregler
            jjpregler commented
            Editing a comment
            This forum is connected to a poker training site that teaches GTO strategy. Why are you here if learning GTO is for idiots?

You can have your opinion, but referring to the main portion of the paying members of PC.com as idiots will eventually get you banned.

• NJpokermike36
            NJpokermike36 commented
            Editing a comment
            @JJ I don't think he was calling anyone an idiot. I think he was talking about how one generation of poker players view another.

Thanks!

moral of story: straddle when outclass or have zero chance.

Comment

I think friendly tables are profitable tables. If everyone is having a good time and not trying to put one over on you, then we stand a better chance of winning.

I don't like bomb pots, but I will participate in them to keep everyone at the table having fun, and to avoid drawing any unnecessary attention to myself.

Comment

Working...
            X