What should we ask of the solver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should we ask of the solver?

So...if I were to run a preflop solve to exploit a typical live 2/5 game, how should I set it up?

Obviously (I think) we don't set it up to assume all our villains are GTO.

I think the following occur fairly often:

1) Some villains are too loose and too passive, meaning they play too many hands and don't raise often enough.
    2) Some villains are too loose but not too passive, meaning they play too many hands but generally RFI with all of them.
    3) Most villains raise for too much when they do raise, with a x5 raise being quite common.
    4) Most villains who raise too loose also do so in a linear way, not a polar way, such that they don't intentionally raise a slightly weak hand (such as maybe K9 from UTG+1) with the understanding that it's a bluff if called, but rather with a hand they wrongly think is good enough to raise (such as maybe AT from UTG+1).

Obviously there may be some villains who are too tight pre-flop, but I think not many. Or there may be some who min-raise, but I think not many. So...what other characteristics would we want to build into a "typical" live 2/5 preflop solve? Or do you not agree with these ones?

Then, has someone already done this somewhere (because what I usually see is an assumption that the opponent is GTO)?
    Last edited by RCMorea; 04-11-2021, 01:06 PM.

Set it up and run for GTO players for the bet sizing you would use at that game. Learn what to GTO range are, then adjust from there. I study the preflop ranges like Matt Afleck suggested in his video "Memorizing Preflop Ranges" video.

I play MTTs so I memorized the MTT charts, so read the following with the understanding that the concept I am going to share is important, while the specific hands are not. The GTO ranges for MTTs and Casha re different.

For instance in a loose game you want to play tighter than GTO suggests. 40 bbs deep UTG1 at an 8 player table the memorization trick is J/9. Which means that every offsuit J and every suited 9 is in the range.

That starts me with this base of hands:

This may not be 100% accurate. With this memorization method, I may miss a hand or 2 at the edges, but that is fine.

But now for my exploit adjustment to play tighter versus loose passive players. I add 1 pip from my starting memorization. J/9 now becomes Q/T, then I build the range from there. I may end up with:

Another exploit against a table of nits (if that ever still happens would be to add 1 pip to make the base T/8:

So memorize the GTO ranges. Play GTO against unknowns. Make exploitative adjustments by adding or subtracting 1 pip.

Comment

• jjpregler
      jjpregler commented
      Editing a comment
      As an afterthought, if you are not sure of the proper adjustments to make, play GTO. You will never lose equity by playing GTO. You will only fail to gain additional equity by exploiting. But if you exploit incorrectly, you can lose equity compared to GTO.
Working...
X