betsizing turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• betsizing turn

working with snowie it seems like referring to betsize on the turn there are some guidelines i want to discuss with you guys

a) if you bet 25% potsize on flop, the optimal betsize on turn is quite often 50%-75 % Potsize
    b) if you bet 50% potsize on flop, the optimal betsize on turn is quite often 50-100% or closer to 66%-100%
    c) if the turn card drastically changes the board you need to bet small 25% potsize or check
    d) if flop got checked through and the turn gives you a marginal made (before turn you had no made hand at all) hand you need to bet small 25% potsize or check

Bet sizing on the turn is obviously a critical part of our strategy, and kudos for trying to understand it better. But I think you're coming at it from the wrong angle.

Let's just look at your first example.

We don't choose our turn bet size just based on the size we used on the flop. We need to ask why we used a 25% pot on the flop? This suggests to me we are likely in a 3! pot, as the aggressor with a low SPR. We almost certainly had a range advantage on the flop and thus bet our whole range using a small size.

Now what happens generally to the range advantage on the turn, on average, regardless of the actual card? Well, villain has folded out his junk facing the flop bet and so his range is stronger whilst we still have the exact same range on the flop. This means that the range advantage is dramatically decreased. Without a large range advantage we can't bet our whole range, so we must use a polarised strategy.

And should we use a small or large bet size when betting polarised?

The answer is large, relative to the SPR. So whilst a 50% pot bet 100bb deep on the flop could be considered on the small side, if the SPR is only 1.5 then this is a relatively large sizing.

Originally posted by Guido View Post
    c) if the turn card drastically changes the board you need to bet small 25% potsize or check
    This is a gross over-simplification and in my opinion should be ignored.

For a start, it's hard to define what you mean by "drastically changes the board".

We can basically narrow down the turn card to 1 of 4 categories: 1) overcard, 2) draw completes, 3) board pairs, 4) blank.

I'd say that categories 1 to 3 all change the board to varying degrees depending on the lines of the players so far, but all solicit very different turn strategies.

​​​​​​​Are you a premium member currently Guido ? I've certainly heard very mixed feedback on the MTT masterclass, but I think the classes about turn play are fantastic and I'd highly recommend working through them, even if you don't have the time to commit to the full course.

Let me know your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonImp View Post

Are you a premium member currently Guido ? I've certainly heard very mixed feedback on the MTT masterclass, but I think the classes about turn play are fantastic and I'd highly recommend working through them, even if you don't have the time to commit to the full course.
      I have recommended the MTT Masterclass to him several times.

Comment

Yes i am a premium membet and o will take the tournament Master class soon and give Feedback than, thx for your answer , will read it a Second time

Comment

Working...
        X