When the A turn hurts the aggressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the A turn hurts the aggressor?

I was watching the 6 max online course and he discussed a concept that didn’t make sense to me.

in a 3 bet pot, when the flop comes low and middle and it’s checked through, then an A comes on the turn, it actually favors the raiser’s range more than the 3-bettor. This didn’t make sense to me because I’ve just always assumed an A always favors the last preflop aggressor because he has the best range.

However, now that I think about it, the initial raiser has all the Ax-s hands and even more Ax-o hands, while the 3-bettor only has the big ones. So the raiser clearly has more combos with an A but is he ahead? I suppose the fact that he’s sometimes dominated is balanced by the fact that he sometimes has 2 pair with A and a flop card.

Also, this is totally different than when the hand is just a raiser v the BB and the board comes, say, 9-6-4-A. Right?

Am I’m thinking about this correctly?

It's always going to depend on the exact ranges as play, but your assessment about IR having more AXs hands and the 3-bettor having less but stronger AX hands sounds on point. Not sure the IR calls the 3-bet with too many AXo though.

Might want to just ask yourself on the A turn (or any turn really) who has more hands that connect with the turn, who is more dense hands that connect with the turn (what mattera is what percent of our range hits, so if we have plenty AX but are also super wide with everything else that's now mostly marginal or junk while villain's range is more narrow, we may not have the adv,) and who has the better hands that connect (nut adv.)

Also remember if we bet range on flop as we often should as the pre-flop aggressor when we go to the turn Villain's range has strengthened significantly since they folded their junk on the flop.

This is more about the flop than the turn, but A high flops are often some of the most misplayed. We raise as the B, BB calls, A high boards it seems we have a range advantage and can bet range, but remember BB is going to call with a ton of AXo and we have a ton of hands that are marginal or junk--we're often going to be using a polarized strategy there.

I would play around in equilab with different ranges and spots and see how the equities come out, finding the spots that go against conventional wisdom so to speak is a great way to plug leaks/increase our edge

Comment

Working...
    X