Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have trouble with Range Nut advantage - Range Connectivity

Hello,
    Because of english and low understanding of poker, i’m struggling to understand these and i thank you if somebody can help me to clarify.

on the CG masterclasse on the FLOP there is:

1) Range advantage
    2) Nut advantage
    3) Range connectivity.

So, i understand the concept of range advantage with nut advantage. where i struggle it’s with the Range connectivity.

on one of the slide there is:

Range connectivity
    - As the flop connects better with the oppo range, you should check more and use a larger sizing when you bet.
    - As the flop connects worse with the oppo range, you should bet more often and use smaller sizing.
    Putting it all together
    - If you have the range advantage and the nut advantage, bet frequently, using a size based on how well your opponent’s range connects with the board.
    - If you have the range advantage and the nut disadvantage, bet less frequently using a smaller sizing

What i understand, is that if we have the range advantage we have the range connectivity as well ? or even if we have the range advantage i need to undestand this :

we have like 80 20 against oppo range advantage is not the same as range advantage 60 40 in this 40 oppo connect better so it’s why a big bet?
    in the 80 20 oppo connect less than the 60 40 so we can bet big ?

this can be resume on these 3 exemple that are on the Flop example slide with 3 times we have the range and nut advantage.

- UTG raises, Button calls
    - 7s-6s-4c
    - UTG (usually) has the range and nut advantage
    - UTG should frequently bet using a small size
    i add: i this case we bet small because oppo connect poorly

- HJ raises, Button calls
    - As-7c-4d
    - HJ has the range and the nut advantage
    - HJ should bet frequently using a big size
    i add: i this case we bet big because even if we have the range advantage, oppo connect well.

- Utg (with a tight range) rase, BB calls ( with a loose range)
    - As-Kc-4d
    - UTG has 59% equity and the Nut advantage
    - UTG should ber frequently (peraps 100% of the time) using a big size
    i add: i this case we bet big because even if we have the range advantage, BUT oppo connect porly in this case…
    Range connectivtiy - As the flop connects worse with the oppo range, you should bet more often and use smaller sizing.

So as you can read, i’m struggling i don’t get this concept 100%… So i appreciate for your help or maybe do you have some advice on wich section on the JL site i can learn more these topics ?

Range advantage means you have a hand that is likely ahead. Its is not certain you are ahead, but you can wager strongly that you are ahead.

Nut advantage means you have a hand so strong it is almost unbeatable. Again, this is not certain, but you can wager strongly that if your opponent stays in the the hand you will win.

Range connectivity means how well the flop, turn, or river connects with the majority of you or your opponent's hole cards - the entire range, not just the cards you are playing in one hand. If you look at the different range charts, you can see that UTG has a raising range that consists mostly of pairs and high cards. A range which just calls often does not contain high pairs (which would 3bet) or the best Ax hands (which would also 3bet). An ace high flop is more likely to hit an UTG raising range. A flop with middle cards is more likely to hit a calling range.

Hand 1: On the 764 board UTG has the range advantage but NOT the nut advantage. From UTG you'll tend to have bigger pairs and broadways. Because BB did not raise pre flop, it takes AA-JJ, AK, AQs out of his range. UTG can still have these hands. This is why UTG has range advantage. But because BB's range is so much wider, he actually has the nut advantage. BB can have 58 for a straight, 76 for 2 pair, and because the high pairs are taken out of BB's range, BB has a higher chance of having sets here. Additionally, BB has draws more often than UTG here. A5 for straight draw for example, and because UTG is has a narrow range of suited cards (high connectors) but BB can call with suited aces, a lot of suited connectors, and a lot of suited high cards, BB has a lot more flush draws in their range.

UTG is betting small here for a few reasons.
    1. UTG wants to keep in draws when BB has poor equity against a good hand.
    2. BB will call almost any bet with their good draws, but if BB missed they can fold their trash to a small bet or a large bet.
    3. UTG wants to make a check raise cheap. Folding a strong hand to a check raise bluff is a disaster, but folding a strong hand to a check raise for value is good.
    1. BB either has to make a large raise of a small bet if they want to the most get value from their 2 pairs and sets. UTG can more easily fold a large value check raise.
    2. BB has to make a large bet to ensure folding out UTG's strong hand with a bluff. This is dangerous for BB if UTG balances and can call with strong hands.
    3. BB has to make a call or small check raise with their value hands and draws. This is bad for BB because they don't get strong value from their nut hands with the smaller bet sizing. BB will also have trouble getting UTG to fold strong hands with small sizings. And calling with their draws means BB can only win one way - by hitting their draw. Aggression wins pots, not waiting for a monster hand. Its why check raising with draws is often better than check calling. Check raising has fold equity.
    Hand 2: HJ has range and nut advantage. This should not hit a Button calling range very well at all. HJ should be betting small here, but betting very frequently.
    1. HJ is betting small because he wants Button to call. A small bet could get calls from 88 and 99, 78s, and perhaps even hands like KQ.
    2. A large bet will ensure button will fold weak hands, and will call only with strong hands. This is the opposite of what HJ should want.
    3. HOWEVER, a case can be made for betting large here because HJ will be out of position. When out of position you generally want to bet larger because the fact that your opponent can act after you is so bad for your profits.
    Hand 3: UTG has range advantage, nut advantage, and position. BB is very likely folding. However, betting large for a few reasons.
    1. BB is likely folding, but if BB is calling it is likely calling with a good but second best hand. Bet large for extra value for the times BB does call.
    2. There are almost no draws on this board. Because there are no draws, there are no bluffs. When check raising as a bluff, you want to be able to represent a wide range of value hands. Because BB would likely raise AA, KK, and AK preflop, a check raise really represents only 44 and maybe A4. But even those hands cannot raise this flop because they are only folding out worse and getting called by better. Because UTG's range is so narrow, unless UTG has exactly AK vs 44 or AQ vs A4 it would be a huge mistake to check raise. This board is impossible for the BB to check raise.
    3. Because there are no bluffs, HJ should not have to worry about the disaster of folding a strong hand to check raise bluff. There is no reason to pot control.
    This is long, but I hope it helps.

Comment

• LondonImp
      LondonImp commented
      Editing a comment
      Range and nut advantage have nothing to do with your actual hand.

They are a comparison of ranges.

Originally posted by TB27 View Post
    Hand 1: On the 764 board UTG has the range advantage but NOT the nut advantage.

Thank you for your post appreciate. i will need to read it read it again to understand 100% but what's you write help me to clarified so much, now have to integrate this.

For the 3 hand they are from CG masterclass JL so he said that UTG has range and nut advantage... but of sure your right, UTG has not the nut advantage...
    it's why i try to put these 3 exemple to understand if there is pattern to follow, the others exemple on the CG are ok.

THank you

Comment

It's pretty simple, as I understand.

It mostly applies when one of the blinds calls and the nuts are a lot of low cards, because the BB has low cards while the raiser, or an in-position caller, probably doesn't.

J-4-4
      5-4-3
      9-2-3

These are all hands where the BB has the nut advantage, although still not an overall range advantage, because of the lack of big pairs.

On a middle card board (9-8-6, J-9-8, etc.) the BB can have a range AND nut advantage.

Comment

I've just got to the explanation of 'Range Connectivity' in the Tournament Masterclass and I think it's explained much better than in the Cash Game Masterclass:

https://pokercoaching.com/lessons/bet-sizing/

3m 45s.

Comment

Working...
        X