X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how i bullied a villian

here I only played my range vs villians range

by just calling the flop bet on this scary board villian capped his range

i had enough effective chips to risk villians whole tournament life for a nice overbet and it finally worked out

Hold'em No Limit - 200/400 (50 ante) - 8 players

UTG (Hero): 30,935 (77 bb)
    UTG+1: 2,148 (5 bb)
    MP: 3,900 (10 bb)
    MP+1: 18,891 (47 bb)
    CO: 23,532 (59 bb)
    BU: 6,702 (17 bb)
    SB: 12,840 (32 bb)
    BB: 8,740 (22 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,000) Hero is UTG with T♥ A♥
    Hero raises to 940, 2 players fold, MP+1 calls 940, 4 players fold

Flop: (2,880) 4♦ 6♦ 7♣ (2 players)
    Hero bets 2,000, MP+1 calls 2,000

Turn: (6,880) 3♠ (2 players)
    Hero bets 27,945 (all-in), MP+1 folds

Total pot: 6,880
    UTG (Hero) wins 6,880

how you like my line and how would you have played the hand ?

solver says

preflop open raise 100%

flop check 100% of the time

if you bet, bet small

(i remember i first wanted to check because i know how solver would love me to check) but then i considered my massive range advanatge and nut advanatge and i opted to bet big )

on the turn solver would check 100% but going all in has ony roughly 15% less EV

although i made 2 small mistakes but still +EV lines I played at a word class level : )

Comment

Question for you, not rhetorical, actually think about it - why is the solver recommending a check or a small bet on this flop?

Comment

Take with a grain of salt, I'm mainly studying deep cash.

If we're going off the ranges from Pokercoaching, you don't have a massive range advantage here.

If we open our 75BB range (which doesn't make much sense,) we have ~49% Eq.
        If we open our 40BB range (which makes a little more sense,) we have ~52% Eq.
        If we open our 25BB range (which makes most sense, BB is who we're most likely to be up against,) we have ~47% Eq.

Based on that, I agree with the solver betting makes little sense here without a read. We're not blocking anything in his continuing range except TT. We have some showdown value. We're bloating the pot when we get called with a hand that will be in rough shape OOP on most turns.

I think my strategy would be:

Or:

When you bet that large on the flop, Villain can respond:

Your sizing literally forces them to play perfectly, It's easy to defend flop at MDF on the flop, and you're forcing an SPR of 2 on the turn, which should incentivize them to slow play the flop. Plus if they're thinking and realize you're out of line like this, you're going to get reallllly screwed.

I honestly see no merit to your line, you're stepping wayyyy out of line to get 23% of Villain's range (TT-88) to incorrectly fold, and if your opponent makes a "mistake" and calls with those pairs, or their good diamond draws that either have as much as 30% Eq or have you crushed, you're still not really benefiting.

I would really rethink this one.

Comment

• Dilly
          Dilly commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually made an error here, on the flop he has to defend 60% of his range so he would have to call all AQ, not a big difference though.

I'm a calling station. Take it from me, not a great move Agree with the above

Comment

The villian mp1 had a cold call percentage of 23 over a significant samplesize

Utg is still utg . Therefore i have a range and a nut Advantage

If you have a range and a nut advantage you are supposed to bet big

So lets say villian flats with a range that is way too wide and i want to punish him with a +ev 2 times betting too big line

This is risky but it works often enough

I am risking his mtt life

His range Was capped i think although i bet quite big on the flop and we are not very deep stacked, would he just call the flop with 44, 66, 77 , kk , aa for instance ?

Comment

If you are opening the same exact range UTG 8 handed compared to 9 handed you are making an error, albeit a small one. Is UTG 6 handed the same as UTG 9 handed? It's not, UTG 6 handed is the LJ, UTG 7 handed is UTG+2, UTG 8 handed is UTG+1.

If you take what Villain should be calling, and expand it to 20% calling range (mind you he isn't going to be calling that wide in every position assuming that's his global cold call percentage,) we have a 53% Eq advantage. We have the range and nut advantage, but not enough that we should be c-betting our whole range large, which is basically what you're doing if you're betting the AT.

So we're taking a purely exploitative route, and with a much wider range, he definitely will have a harder time, but we're not accomplishing much, most of what he is folding we are already beating, we aren't really cleaning up much equity.

His range is not capped, when you bet that large, you create an SPR of 2 on the turn, and he's in position, so he doesn't need to raise his premium hands on the turn to get all the money in by the river. He could very easily be calling with all of his sets and over-pairs. Not only the SPR but you're representing such a strong hand, he can expect you to barrel....so why would he raise you and risk you folding your bluffs or worse made hands?

I see what you're going for it just seems like more risk than reward. I don't even think the flop sizing is the big issue though, it's an issue to go that big with your whole range. If you used the strategy I outlined in my first post, you're still betting 2/3 pot 46% of the time, with a polarized range including bluffs with reasonable Eq. He's still in a terrible spot with his too wide range, and you're way less exploitable.

The turn sizing is just bad. If he over-folded the flop, he can now easilyyyyyy defend 30% of his range which is the MDF you forced on him....unless you're trying to get him to fold overpairs or sets, which I think is insanely optimistic.

If you know for sure your opponent is too wide, and you know for sure he would float flop perfectly to a smaller bet but will over-fold to a large bet, and you know for sure he would raise flop with his nuts, and you know for sure that he will fold his premium hands to your over-bet turn some of the time, and you know for sure that while executing these strategies he hasn't realized you're getting way out of line, then yes, you made a world class exploitative play.
            Last edited by Dilly; 10-26-2020, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
              The villian mp1 had a cold call percentage of 23 over a significant samplesize

Utg is still utg . Therefore i have a range and a nut Advantage

If you have a range and a nut advantage you are supposed to bet big

So lets say villian flats with a range that is way too wide and i want to punish him with a +ev 2 times betting too big line

This is risky but it works often enough

I am risking his mtt life

His range Was capped i think although i bet quite big on the flop and we are not very deep stacked, would he just call the flop with 44, 66, 77 , kk , aa for instance ?
              You do not have the nut advantage. 77, 66, 44, 76s, A5s and even 33 are in a preflop calling range. 33 might even call OTF for the gutshot. 44 and maybe even 66 may not be in your UTG open raising range.

You may not have the range advantage, either. You'll have big cards more often, so this flop doesn't hit your range really hard. Your opponents range is capped in that he didn't 3bet you pre, but that only leaves out AA, KK, QQ, and then maybe JJ and TT.

There are a couple of reasons the solver is saying GTO is to check 100% or if you bet, you bet small. Its because you do not have the nut advantage. You can get checkraised and only lose a little. By betting big, you are actually incentivizing 2p and sets to smooth call and wait to jam your bet on the turn. Also, if you have a strong value hand - like an overpair - are you going to want your opponent out of the pot with a big bet or get him calling with small bets? Another reason to bet small.

The chances of you having a strong hand against an opponent with a strong but second best hand are slim. Your range wants to be small so your opponent will think of calling with hands like 88 or floating with KQ.

Your big bets look suspicious. It was lucky your opponent apparently didn't have a hand.

Comment

Ok you guys have convinced me

utg 9 handed is not utg 8 handed

We dont have the nut advantage ! . 77, 66, 44, 76s, A5s and even 33 are in a preflop calling range. 33 might even call OTF for the gutshot. 44 and maybe even 66 may not be in my UTG open raising range.

His range is not capped postflop when i bet this large on this quite small spr

dont try to be more clever than a solver

Thx Guys

Comment

But you can lose more.. So you need to be more careful because here is the reason why I lost so much money:

Multi-tabling is the #1 reason, it is also one of the main reasons that I lost at online poker. Some players just don’t know their limitations when multi-tabling and play too many tables at once.

When multi-tabling, the objective is to play as many tables as you can comfortably and profitably play. Some players overlook the second part. They try to play as many as they can physically handle but don’t look at the long-term impact on their bankroll.

If you are a multi-tabler and losing at online poker, go back to basics and start back with just two tables and work from there. When you get to a point where your hourly rate starts taking a turn for the worse, back up one and stay at that level https://www.score88poker.bid/mobile.php.

For example, if you are posting a solid hourly rate while playing up to four tables and then it starts going down dramatically once you add that fifth table, go back to just playing four tables. Maybe in the future, you can go back to adding a fifth table, but the same rules still apply. Only play as many tables where you can play both comfortably and profitably.
                  Last edited by PeterVetry; 11-16-2020, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X