Cleaning Up Equity PreFlop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Up Equity PreFlop

Just watched the Cleaning Up Equity class. My question is can we and should we ever clean up equity preflop.

Specifically, I'll find myself in the blinds with a mid pocket pair after a limped pot or a raise/c/c pot. These hands will play poorly OTF, unless we hit our set which will not happen often, and part of the reason it plays poorly is that there are so many chances for overcards to come. So in situations similar to this, after assessing the initial raiser's range and deciding its likely weak, is it a good idea to 3bet to try and clean up equity?

Pros for this line - can get folds pre, still have equity if called, take the betting lead and can play somewhat aggressively on good boards post.

Cons for this line - reopening action and not realizing our set mine equity if reraised, going to a bloated pot OOP with what's likely to become a marginal hand OTF.

I mostly just call here against a raise and several callers, but will sometimes mix it up and try the steal. I did not know the words for the concept until today, but cleaning up equity fits my thought process. Get weaker overs to fold pre, try and take a decent pot down now instead of calling OOP.
Working...
X