Did I play this too passively?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I play this too passively?

Im in the hijack with ATo, actions folds around to me. Raise to 3bb, everyone folds but the button. Flop is Jack Queen 2 rainbow. I throw out a cbet of 4.1bb into a 7.9bb pot. Turn is a 4, goes check check. River is a 9. I check he bets a little less then half pot. I put him on a wide range of Ax,Kx since he didnt bet the turn. I call and he flips over K9o. Should i have continued betting on the turn?

Effective stack sizes are 55 bb and this is in an $88 80k gurantee few levels after late reg. Button is a competent player but is nothing special.

Comment

is this GG ? Structure of MTT is pretty different there... in a way , harder than poker stars .. feels like every inch of the way u have to fight tooth and nail.

Maybe that's my cue to work on 40BB games.

I wonder if the structure partially explains how he played K9 against you this way. Either that, or he had a pretty low opinion of your game.

or Maybe both.
      Last edited by CrazyEddie Reloaded; 09-05-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• CrazyEddie Reloaded
        CrazyEddie Reloaded commented
        Editing a comment
        I might do it ... but before make a move, make sure that guy not a dummy.

• jip80
        jip80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Im obviously new here, trying to get better. I know youre just a keyboard warrior who is 45 yrs old and lives in his moms basement. So if your not gonna try to be positive and help out, i politely ask you to fuck off

• CrazyEddie Reloaded
        CrazyEddie Reloaded commented
        Editing a comment
        nobody attacking u because new or old to the forum .. Maybe that's how u hero AT on river. ( couldn't understand it until now )

Nobody betting 9 on river unless he got good grasp of your game.

Even though you weren't positive , you been helpful. How was he able to bet 9 without fearing any chk raises ?

I have been under-betting your type until now.
        Last edited by CrazyEddie Reloaded; 09-05-2020, 09:48 PM.

When you cbet out of position, I think it makes sense to use the 4 hand categories and you more often bet your draws and strong hands and check your garbage and medium strength hands. AT is pretty borderline because you have a weak draw, and some showdown value. If it were me, I would typically double barrel. You still have the overcard and gut shot and you are getting floated a lot on the flop. So I'm betting on the turn trying to get hands like gutshots, 55-TT and some Jx hands to fold.

I think on the river it feels borderline to call. Keep in mind that if he calls your flop bet and then you check the turn, he has a very high incentive to bluff. So he should be betting a high frequency with hands that have very little showdown value and checking hands that do have showdown value. Maybe he's checking back some draws too but he should definitely have bet his actual hand on the turn. So when he calls flop bet, checks back turn and bets smallish on the river, he typically has a hand that is trying to get called by a weak hand.

Comment

• jip80
        jip80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply. Your explanation makes a lot of sense and makes me realize i prob shouldve bet a decent size on the turn trying to get a fold out of any of the hands you mentioned. Playing out of position is definitely one of my weaknesses so i will be making sure to study up on that heavy. Thanks again

• CrazyChris
        CrazyChris commented
        Editing a comment
        jip80,

If you watch the post flop section of JL Mastering fundamentals, I think that would help you some when comparing ranges based of betting and bet sizing. Especially on the turn in the situation you were in. Other then that, I think you made all the right calls, but then again, you didn’t list any reads you had on the villain.
    Working...
    X