Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preflop charts - suited vs unsuited broadways

Hello!

The below image represents the 25BB SB vs CO RFI strategy from the preflop charts.

Notice that the unsuited broadways JTo, QTo, KTo, QJo are in the green calling range, while the suited counterparts JTs, QTs, KTs, QJs are in the blue shoving range.

I find it very interesting, because in practice I apply the exact opposite approach. I'd rather flat the suited cards and shove the offsuit ones.

While the offsuits carsd are a bit weaker when shoving there is sill enough FE. The sutied cards play so much better postflop.

I wonder if this is explained somewhere. While I have watched a ton of stuff, I'm still new here and may have missed an obvious anser why the ranges are constructed this way.

25bb sb vs co  rfi

Interesting observation. I agree with you, I would've expected the strategy to be reversed.

Comment

These are just my thoughts so take them with a grain of salt.

Our charts are assuming an unknown V is playing at least decently well and opening for 2.2X. I don't think this takes into consideration what stage of the tournament we are in either.

One of the first mental notes I make is on the V's choice of bet sizes. When I see guys opening 3x or even more from 50BB or less I assume they have never opened a book on poker.

The same can be said for the guy that will go anywhere from an open limp up 7 or 8X even more sometimes.

If they never opened a book on poker we have to rely more on what we see then we do on *proper* range construction.

Then we have the group that seems to understand the value of having a consistent opening bet size that will only vary according to the size of the effective stacks.

Those are the players that have most often studied poker to some extent, some very much so and are very good. We will also have some that do it just because they see others doing it that they might think are good so it must be right. I actually fell into that category before I started studying.

There are always caveats.

Even players that try to play GTO will take exploitative lines vs certain players and vary their bet sizing's but that is infrequent enough to barely register on my radar.

Some players are super tight and some our super loose.

Are we getting near the bubble? If so has the Co upped his aggression (usually will start min opening a lot because many will raise or fold at this point to lock up that min cash) or have they seemingly tightened up because they want to at least min cash.

So it should go without saying that we have to (try) know our opponent.

These charts used to come with more of an explanation and I really wish they would include that again. From memory if we open from the Co with 25BB at 2.2x and get shoved on we should be calling with around 40% (I think?) of our range maybe a little less.

So for fun lets see how this plays out using the Advanced Equity Calculator and of course there is a certain amount of guess work here.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com
      Equity Win Tie
      CO 54.15% 52.11% 2.04% { 55+, A9s+, KTs+, QJs, ATo+, KJo+, JTo }
      SB 45.85% 43.81% 2.04% { TT-33, A8s-A7s, A5s-A4s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, ATo+, KQo }

So if the V folds 60% of his range we profit a tick over 2.5BB which is really great.

Lets run the equities shoving the off suit Broadway hands instead.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com
      Equity Win Tie
      CO 56.21% 54.26% 1.95% { 55+, A9s+, KTs+, QJs, ATo+, KJo+, JTo }
      SB 43.79% 41.85% 1.95% { TT-33, A8s-A7s, A5s-A4s, KJs+, T9s, ATo+, KQo, KTo, QTo+, JTo }

If the V folds 60% of his range we profit 2BB.

So both are pretty great but one is more profitable than the other because we will win 2% more often when called and will have done a better job conserving our chip stack
      by just calling with the portion of our range that doesn't perform quite as well.

In both scenarios the V will usually over fold (unless they have a tight opening range) which is even better.

just my .02

Comment

Working...
      X