Pre-flop charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-flop charts

Firstly, thanks to the coaches for producing a comprehensive set of charts.

I've started working with them again to shore up my preflop game and they are definitely helping. What I am sturggling with is an effective and efficient way to study and learn them.

So far:-
    I have looked through them to identify definite areas that are different to my 'default' game - for the most part this is on the fringes of the ranges for most positions
    There is a big difference in the BvB play - which I am now working into my game
    3 betting strategy and responding to 3 bets - not a huge difference here but certainly some subtleties and spots to look at

I have actually been refering to the charts in-game whilst laying online, but this has meant I have had to reduce the number of tables I play from 8 to 4 for both screen space and mental capacity.

Just wondering what methods other people are using to learn the charts and work it into your game?

For raw memorization, I like to pick a random situation (B raises and we're in the BB,) and then build what i think the range is in the range analyzer. Then look at the charts. Then redo it.

Much more valuable I think is going through the quizzes, and hands from your own play, and analyze them the way we do in the homework assignments. Force yourself to define how you would play your entire range. It seems like the clunkiest analysis that would be hard to implement on table, but it really trains your mind to think about the ranges and apply them in the right way

Comment

I refer to the charts while playing on line. Prior to looking at the charts I'll say to myself (out loud) I should _______ this hand then refer to the chart to see if I got it right. I'm getting better.

A while back I got this email news letter on increasing your memory. As an example it said take a shopping list of 3 things, say those 3 things out loud, then say forget those three things. Then go to the store and you will remember those 3 items. This is meant for people with bad memories but it works for me. They referenced a study that concluded when you say things out loads as opposed to thinking about them you're more likely to remember them.

Comment

I have the standard charts printed out in A3 and put them up on my two corner walls - in front of me is the "RFI" and "Facing RFI" and on the wall to my left is the "VS 3bet" charts. Then I have the 40BB, 25BB and 15BB charts in a binder to flip through. If I have ANY hand that I am not sure I played correctly I tag it in PT4 and consult Michael Acevedo's book Modern Poker Theory the next day. This has all helped a lot but I still struggle with pulling the trigger sometimes..

Comment

I have only worked hard with the allin Charts

This has helped a lot for developing a robust nash short stack allin game from each Position

When playing live i had so many time looking up with which hands to push before the current hand

They are basically in my memory

Other than that i refuse playing Based on preflop Charts, because they are not set in Stone and this would Kill my creativity and fun

As bad as it might Sound...

But i try to memorize the principles from the Charts

Comment

I mostly play cash games 9 players, so the the charts I refer to the most are the first set Jonathan posted on PokerCoaching.com. I have a good feel for most of what I should play but do occasionally need to be reminded of the bottom combos I should be using (in general) while I am playing. I use 2 methods for this. 1) I have a table next to my PC with all the chart PDFs so if I'm not sure I should/shouldn't have played something I refer to the charts after the hands. 2) I've loaded the some of the charts into Flopzilla pro so I can scroll over the situation, say calling RFI for CO vs UTG+2,, and look for the hand I had. This helps reinforce my play if correct and gives me something to review if I'm bit out of line with my play. An example is I've cut back on my calling RFI with 22 and 33 is some positions.

Something to remember, these charts are guides and not written in stone, so you need to study them in relation to the games your playing.
            Last edited by SeanT; 04-07-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
              I refer to the charts while playing on line. Prior to looking at the charts I'll say to myself (out loud) I should _______ this hand then refer to the chart to see if I got it right. I'm getting better.

A while back I got this email news letter on increasing your memory. As an example it said take a shopping list of 3 things, say those 3 things out loud, then say forget those three things. Then go to the store and you will remember those 3 items. This is meant for people with bad memories but it works for me. They referenced a study that concluded when you say things out loads as opposed to thinking about them you're more likely to remember them.
              Nice, like it

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies....

I've been doing a combination of some of your techniques and am only now reffering to the charts when a) I just have no clue what to do in a spot b) if it is a marginal decision c) after the fact to reinforce or correct a decision.

I'm not trying to learn the charts off pat, and am certainly not sticking to them rigidly as at low stakes we need to deviate a lot to exploilt opponents. My main aim was to get a better understanding of what was aiming to be achieved with these ranges and plays, in particular BvB play (a leak of mine). And to add to and solidify my preflop play.

A side benefit I have found with using and reffering to the charts whilst playing has been tilt control. For example, being a bigstack with say 80bbs then losing 3 or 4 big pots in a row and finding yourself on 25bbs, it would previously take me 1 or 2 orbits to get my head straight and adjust my game to my new stack. Having the charts there to hand allowed me to just immediately focus on the required strategy with my new stack and refocus my mind, instead of dwelling on the stack I had and being pissed off. I've made more come-backs for deep runs in the past 10days than I think I ever have before.

Comment

i record my sessions and write down spots on paper that may be questionable to look at later by referencing the clock on my computer to fast forward to those hands. you can download obs studio, it is free. i find for myself if i find mistakes it makes it easier than trying to memorize straight off the charts.

Comment

Working...
                  X