Quiz 822 query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiz 822 query

In Quiz 822 by Matt Affleck UTG open-raises with AQo and is only called by the BB. Flop is J97 two spades, and we have the A of spades. After BB checks Matt says to usually bet about 70% pot here. Isn't this just the kind of board which JL says to check, since it nails our opponent's range?

There’s a lot of factors to consider. It obviously depends on your exact UTG range, but we should have about 30 combos if top pair or better, for about 25% of our entire range. With way too few draws to balance, it might be a spot to consider betting our entire range. While BB range def hits this board hard, and BB almost certainly has the nut advantage, we do have about a 55/45 range advantage due to our range being more condensed. Those factors and being the IP aggressor would normally lead us to bet frequently and small, but as we said they do connect well with this board, including with many draws, so we don’t necessarily want to give them the right price to draw.

Remember there isn’t necessarily a correct answer in any spot. Against a strong competent or loose opponent a check behind is more appropriate as we don’t want to get check raised out of our seat and it will allow us to play turn and river catching the bluffs we induce. I’ve also noticed Matt’s quizzes often lean towards aggressive exploitative lines, leaving us a little more open to counter exploit, in the name of extracting maximum value from the particular spot at hand...which is often correct, remember JL constantly says you make the most money from maximally exploiting your opponents.

Comment

• Joseph
      Joseph commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your view that there isn't necessarily a correct answer in any spot. I really think I am getting more confused, the more I study flop strategy Does the hero not have as many nut hands as the villain if we open with pairs down to 66 ?

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      Joseph UTG and BB both probably have all the sets, but BB could potentially have 4 combos of straights, maybe J7s, potentially 18 combos of J9 and 97 that UTG doesn't have

• Joseph
      Joseph commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dilly, I don't know how I missed all them. Actually if i was in the big blind, I am probably calling with 10 8 off as well.
      Last edited by Joseph; 03-18-2020, 07:28 AM.
Working...
X