Combos and Balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combos and Balancing

Jonathan Little says in quiz video #644 on a K93 rainbow board, (he has KT) that if he c/r with a gut shot he had 48 combos. I can’t get that I only see qj, tj, which is 32. Was he wrong, or am I missing something? Also, he calculated nutted or good hands vs bluff and he mentioned that 2:1 is best to balance. I assume twice as many bluffs as great hands to balance. Could someone explain to me why it’s important to balance 2:1.
    Tx

I like this training site.

Q10 would be another 16 combos. If you want to learn about balance go through the homework assignments. JL teaches this better than anyone.

Comment

Like said above, QT is the other gutter.
      ​​​​​​
      As for balance, the 2:1 bluffremium partially has to do with how often an up-to-pot bet needs to work as a pure bluff in order to be profitable. But more importantly, if you have more than 2:1 bluffremium on the flop then you will have too many bluffs going into the turn & river and won't be able to balance those streets well. You can have less than 2:1 and be able to balance, but if you end up in a situation where you don't have enough bluffs you should shift your sizing down accordingly. Also as said above, do the PC HW Challenges and you will soon see how out of whack your balance gets if you don't get close to these ratios.

EDIT: can't figure out how to get rid of those smileys on mobile, but that's supposed to say "bluff : premium"

Comment

thanks to both. so stupid I am, I'm staring at K9 for 20 minutes and can't find the other combo. I'll def check the homework assignments, just joined this site, and been loving the quizzes

Comment

• AJH914
          AJH914 commented
          Editing a comment
          Heads up the the homework assignments are notably harder than the quizzes. Don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t make sense at first. Keep doing them and keep learning. They really make you think.

[QUOTE=reeeeeeper;n34993]
        ​​​​​​
        You can have less than 2:1 and be able to balance, but if you end up in a situation where you don't have enough bluffs you should shift your sizing down accordingly.

Is the above advice so that your opponent will suspect that you are probably not bluffing that often in a particular hand and if so, we bet smaller to get him to call?

Comment

Working...
        X