Getting away from an overpair on a non-scary board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting away from an overpair on a non-scary board

Hi all, so I have been having a horrible run. I continue to have a hand like AK and the flop comes 3K4 or basically, top pair, top kicker for me with a couple of small cards or I will have an overpair like 88 on a 652 rainbow flop and each time, I am running into a set. This happened on back to back hands to me (and 3 out of 4 hands that I played) tonight. How do you get away from really strong hands like this, especially against players who will jam 2nd pair or any draw?

It really depends on the action and the stakes. But if I know they jam 2nd pair and draws, then I am generally calling with top/top.

Comment

Can you be more specific about how deep you were, your position, the other opponent? All this plays into how much you are folding/value betting etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKQMOORE View Post
        Hi all, so I have been having a horrible run. I continue to have a hand like AK and the flop comes 3K4 or basically, top pair, top kicker for me with a couple of small cards or I will have an overpair like 88 on a 652 rainbow flop and each time, I am running into a set. This happened on back to back hands to me (and 3 out of 4 hands that I played) tonight. How do you get away from really strong hands like this, especially against players who will jam 2nd pair or any draw?
        What level are you playing? If guys are actually jamming second pair and any draw then I think you've hit a gold mine. The exploit against players who bluff/overvalue too much is to call more. You shouldn't talk yourself in to folding TPTK against these guys.

Comment

You dont. especially if they go crazy with 2nd pair. you just take the variance up the arse and move on to the next hand. However, depends on the action. If you cb AK on K34, they raise, you call, and they keep barrelling, you definitely should be folding by the river. now if you bet bet bet and they call call call with a set they slowplayed you, o well thats life. two different lines on the same runout mean totally different things. That second scenario is actually a good thing for you, even if you lose to a set because you lose less and learn very valuable info about villains tendencies.
          Overpairs are the same story, a lot of boards you can just go with the hand with OPs. However, if you call a raise and keep getting barreled on, you probably need a super solid read that your the best hand in order to keep calling.
          -PROMETHEUS

Comment

Working...
          X