Bad days and good days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad days and good days

What a bad night i had. In 3 hours i had QQ, KK, AA, AKs AKo,AQs all cracked. In 3 hours i got all these amazing hands and all of them got cracked. Some how i only lost 300$ playing a big 1/2 and the only hand i won tonight was for about 300$ was Ac3c for the nut flush. I just got up and left after the aces. All the other hands i was ok with getting beat by 68o and 74s and crap like that with 27$ preflop bets by me, but after the aces were cracked by 7h9d with a 42$ 3 bet against the big blind that raised preflop to 15$ with that crap i decided i might be tilted after this. All the other ones i know it happens and so does the aces but all that in rite under 3 hours i just figured it wasnt my night. Talk about a cooler. Lmao.

Whilst it's important to recognise variance and appreciate that it has to happen in order for poker to be profitable, it's just as important to be able to recognise when you are tilting as a result and be able to remove yourself from a potentially very costly situation.

Sounds like you handled it well, nice work.

Comment

Variance is a bitch and you can't be a serious player without experiencing these sessions. However, this is why we play stakes we're properly bankrolled for. You have to keep focused on the long term equity because that's all that matters. If you continue to get it in good the equity will come around. Something JL says all the time is that your are not entitled to any pot, ever. "Sometimes you're going to lose, and that's ok". AA probably has like 85% equity vs 79o and you're supposed to lose that pot 15-20% of the time which is actually quite often when you think about it.

I also think that while its important to realize when you're tilted and end the session, you must work on controlling your emotions so you can stay in this kind of game. When players are calling 20x 30x etc with 79o you have to have the discipline to stay mentally focused and exploit such weak players. This is your bread and butter. You may scream to yourself, "OMG YOU'RE TERRIBLE" when you should be thinking, "This game is sooooo juicy and these are the players I can profit from". Without the fish no one is winning.

Lastly while you say you had these premium hands and they were cracked, there is no mention of the action. It's very easy to see those monster hands and fall in love with their preflop power. However things change very quickly and you have to be able to disconnect from that initial feeling, reanalyze at every action and make your plays based on equity, balance and exploitation. Sometimes the exploit is to continue and sometimes the exploit is to fold. Sometimes the exploit is getting to see the river cheap and realizing your equity. There are many different ways to exploit an opponent.

Comment

Man I'm feeling you. I am having such a bad bad run at the moment. Not at your levels (I play micros) but holy damn. Its so...depressing....and it makes me feel sad, but then I love playing so much I go back the next day, and then get coolered again. Just lost my flopped top straight to a full house. Ouch goodbye full buyin two minutes into a game.

Love the game but struggling with my inability to buy a win at the moment.

Comment

• Byrdman
          Byrdman commented
          Editing a comment
          No matter the stakes it sucks. I was at the smaller table and its a must move so i got moved to the bigger table and first hand was the pocket aces. As a joke when i sat down with the sharks at the bigger table cus ive played with them alot i kissed my stack goodbye as a kidding around joke then first hand got the aces cracked. It was actually kinda funny i guess. I cant play online anymore its just was to hard for me and i cant win for crap on there. Kudos to you for grinding online. What site do you play on?

• thargoid2000@gmail.com
          Editing a comment
          I use GG Poker and party Poker. Trying to find the sweet spot for both in terms of time for soft games. Struggling a bit on both. Partypoker has this 'my game' function which looks at your stats and says if you're playing good or bad. and for this year i've been playing at an 'advanced' level, but the losses would disagree, lol.

Its def the biggest downswing i've had yet....when i have a winning session it might be 1/4 to 1/2 a buy in and when i have a losing session its 1-2 buy ins. Not really sustainable!

Not all were cracked i guess i had folded most of them after the flop or turn amd ended up to be a good decision. The AA hand was against a good player and i think when i 3 bet preflop and raised the flop he knew what i had at that point. Looking back id say he knew or was atleast 80% sure i had a over pair and played a hand that can easily crack aces. The player is known to bluff just enough and usually is a tight player besides his random bluffs. Looking back i should have found a fold against this player but i didnt want to be folding the top of my range before the turn. It was just crazy to me to have so many premium preflop hands and not end up with the winning hand. And not one was slow played. I hammered the action to maximize value and just ran into players i would love to be at the same table with. They dont always get the flop they need and makes the equity fly my way in the long run. I always just say nice hand or well played when they win with crap to kinda influence them to continue with these low equity preflop ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdman View Post
          Not all were cracked i guess i had folded most of them after the flop or turn amd ended up to be a good decision.
          This is whats important and where you're focus should be in session. Pump yourself up and be happy you made the right decision because we're playing the long game and this is how you win. I have been working really hard on my metal focus because that's 90% of poker. Take a break. Go for a walk. Step outside. Call your SO or good friend. Pop your headphones in/on and jam for couple orbits. Count to 10 etc etc etc. You have to fight for that seat at a soft table.

I love a lot of Alex Fitzgerald's content, especially the mental stuff. I recommend checking out this podcast in which he talks quite a bit about the mental game and how to think a little differently about these high variance situations when playing with fish.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3EZ...Q82OPewngML8Ag

Comment

Here is a 25NL session I had not that long ago and demonstrates the mental focus I'm talking about. I go down almost 7 buy-ins and reallllly want to quit. But instead I took a quick break, got my shit together and kept grinding. Then when I get back to only down 2 buy-ins I spew off in a 200bb pot. I was so mad at myself but I didn't quit. Ended up down less than a buy in and what started off as a miserable session became one of my most rewarding grinds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	16 Size:	32.3 KB ID:	33357

Comment

• thargoid2000@gmail.com
              Editing a comment
              Good work! i've had that situation a few times as well, wanting to quit as i'm so far down, then getting a big hand to save it....but also had the sessions where it keeps going down.

I'll never remember my worst session. In the space of ten hands:

Flush lost to full house
              full house lost to better full house
              full house lost to quads

its good that i can laugh about it now, but wasn't happy at the time!

Great start today though . Set over set. AA cracked by 26o KK beat by 68. yikes

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	47
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	34721

Comment

Man it blows your mind when you lose to something like 62o. Like how the actual F did they decide to put money in with that?

Comment

At these lower stakes I get into trouble when trying to range bad players. "Yeah he jammed on the river when the 6 fell but he shouldn't have any sixes in his range here".

NOBODY AT 25NL IS BLUFF JAMMING THE RIVER FACING A TRIPLE BARREL

Comment

• thargoid2000@gmail.com
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup yup yup. JL's advice is all well and good against good players, but i find if people are betting they're not letting go.

• Byrdman
                  Byrdman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also he talks alot about how these bad players do not bluff the river nearly enough so if they play these crap hole cards and start raising or betting all of the sudden or just the river they just might have it. Its the all in on the flop that idk how they can call with nothing and somehow catch up multiple times in a session. A lot of these crazy crappy hand playing players and kinda fit or fold when it comes to them betting or raising. It doesnt make it any easier tho to believe this is the case when dealing with these players and we think we have them crushed but they end up with 2 pair or trips. Sometimes just have to believe what they are telling you when they bet or raise untill you find a better spot to prove them to be bluffing or over value a hand. Once caught make sure to take note of the actions they took in the hand. Maybe they call all streets till you check or till the river then they bet big or so on. If any of this is incorrect please let me know. I feel like most of this is somewhat accurate in my games or in 1/2 in general.

Had an interesting night.

Played patient, solid, maybe a bit conservative. All my straights got dominated which was all my losses. and I didn't get paid off when I got my trips. But every day I"m spreadsheeting win/loss the number of hands, my VPIP and then my thoughts on my mental game with a ranking out of ten.

Played for an hour and a half (all i can manage between kids to bed and myself to bed) and ended up down 7c for the night, so lets call it break even. But on my mental side I feel like i was in control played patiently and intelligently.

A few times I felt like I was being beaten up, but stood up, breathed, got a water, and got back into it.

I'm really trying to take Evan Jarvis' attitude to heart - not playing to win - i'm playing to play better than I did yesterday.. If I do that the rest of the stuff will sort itself out. (i hope. lol).

Comment

Working...
                X