Bad Habits in Live Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Habits in Live Games

I've been playing a bit more live cash games again recently. I typically play online for "practice" and the hand history. My game has been getting better online, I'm building my BR and becoming more confident. I feel like I play I pretty solid game. However, when I play live I seem to be a bit more flexible.

For example, I find myself limping into pots with good hands. Sometimes I find myself even widening my ranges a bit. I'm not if that last one is too bad, everyone there is very loose-passive.

The thing is, I'm not a losing player live. I tend to do pretty well (for me). But I know I'm picking up bad habits and I'm worried about what I'm doing to my game.

Anyone got any advice? Is this common?

Be deliberate in your adjustments. If you're going to widen your range think: "What is my standard range for this action given the circumstances? If I'm playing outside that range it's because ____." Be specific, "It's a loose table" isn't justification for playing any two cards. "Player on the Button is raising any two cards when it folds to him, so from the SB I'm going to call with many strong hands, and raise a polarized range of my best hands and a range of hands not good enough to call with decent post flop playability and or blockers, that gives me good board coverage."

Don't open limp in cash games. Don't limp behind with premium hands. Assess limper's strategies. If they limp their mediocre-junky stuff and will fold to any raise, steal from position with some of your junkier hands you wouldn't raise otherwise. If they limp call their marginal hands and fold too often when they don't smash the flop, do the same thing and c-bet often. If you see someone limp raise every, remember it, and be cautious around their limps. Consider limping behind several limpers with junkier suited cards that can make the nuts and do okay against limped ranges.

Be mindful of all the information available to you, and be deliberate and disciplined in using that information to execute the strategies you are learning off table.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
      Be deliberate in your adjustments.
      I'm glad you said that. I've noticed any time I go in with a well thought out plan I tend to do even better. Sometimes that plan can even be as simple as "today I'm working on playing my pairs better". And my last 3 sessions I've decided not to have my earbuds in listening to music. There are a ton of tells I was missing simply because I jamming out. I even thought I was paying attention but realized even the music, as much as I love it, was getting more of my attention than it should've been.

I'm going tonight. One thing I really want to do is learn when I can actually steal the pot. I've been so afraid to make any sorta bluff because they're all so passive. But I'm sure there are spots I can take. Tonight that will be my focus. Trying--very carefully--to find those spots.

Comment

• Dilly
        Dilly commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy Grinding!

Originally posted by Cloutier View Post
      For example, I find myself limping into pots with good hands.
      This is because you haven't got your opening strategy learned to the level of unconscious competence - this destination should be the target for all our poker knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_competence

I used to link to a much better article but I can't remember it... Maybe someone who I have shared it with in the past can enlighten us because it's actually a relevant and very interesting read.

Comment

• Cloutier
        Cloutier commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I'll check it out.
    Working...
    X