Stupid Staking Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Staking Question

This has been confusing me for a while, but it's so outside my wheelhouse I never took the time to get an answer lol.

When someone stakes you at no markup, whatever % of the buy in they paid, they get that % of the winnings? So if someone stakes you 100% at no markup, the player receives none of the winnings?

I think you’re confusing staking with buying a piece of someone’s action.

I don’t know the ins and outs of backing either, but my general understanding is the player would see some cut of the winnings as would the backer, with the backer putting up 100%.

Otherwise the player would have no incentive to win.
    Last edited by RealJPB; 02-05-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Dilly
      Dilly commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely confused lol. I was considering offering some action to some of my friends in a tournament series this month, and though it was the player keeps half the winnings, the backers get their % of the other half assuming no markup, but then I did the math on it and that seems like an awful deal for them....trying to not accidentally rip off my friends who will certainly put the $$$ up regardless because they're degenerates lol

When my brother and I buy a piece of each other's action the % of the buy-in that you cover is the % of the winnings that you receive. If I pay 20% of his buy-in then I get 20% of any winnings.

Players with great track records may not quite offer a 1:1 though. For example, a top player might sell 10% of his/her action which would entitle you to 9% of their winnings.

Comment

Based on your comment you’re talking selling action not staking, so yes you’re confused. If someone buys 10% at no markup, they get 10% of the whole thing, not 10% of half. You have to put up the money for whatever percentage of yourself you want to keep.

Easy example, $1000 tourney. Friends put up $500 for 50% I put up $500 for 50%. If I win $3000 friends get $1500 I get $1500.

Comment

• Dilly
        Dilly commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for clearing that up....was about to charge them an effective 100% markup lmao

• RealJPB
        RealJPB commented
        Editing a comment
        Good deal for you, less good for them

• Dilly
        Dilly commented
        Editing a comment
        They're lucky I'm an honest man who loves them lmaooo
    Working...
    X