Help reading the pre-flop charts: specific example

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading the pre-flop charts: specific example

I really thought I understood how to read the charts, but the first question in Cash Games Master Class/Facing a raise Quiz has me confused.

On B, 100bb deer in cash game, against which opponent’s raise should you have a wider calling range?
    Choices are UTG or CO

Using the Facing RFI-BTN set of chart, the first chart vs UTG , the green range is 8.1% of hands. Against the CO it’s 13.9%. So it seems like we’re calling wider vs the CO, but the quiz says call wider vs UTG.
    I get that we’re 3-betting a higher percentage vs the CO because our overall range is wider (folding less). But that’s not the question.

Am I reading the chart wrong or misunderstanding the question?

thanks

-Len

I didn't get that right either and I think it's wrong. We clearly call with more combinations vs a Co (184) open than an UTG open (108). We also 3-bet more so both are true.

JonathanLittle Is this a mistake? https://members.pokercoaching.com/cl...g-a-raise-quiz

Comment

So this was discussed a little in the discord and from what i can tell it's referencing the fact that a larger portion of our continuing range is a call, rather than we call with more combos. Maybe it's a subtlety that got lost in the wording or something but yeah, there were other folks that picked up on this.

Comment

@yandader you're right but I still don't get it even looking at in living color.

Bu vs UTG RFI we are raising with 6.2% and calling with 8.1% We are calling with 1.9% more combos than we are raising.

Bu vs Co we are raising with 11% and calling with 13.9% which is 2.9% more

The math is the math and see that it's right but I still don't understand how we can call with 1% more of all hands available (1326) yet end up with 1% less of the hands selected (330)

Comment

It calculates like that because we continue with a wider range vs the late position raiser than vs UTG.

Vs UTG we call with 108 combos out of a continuing range of a total of 190 combos which is 56.8%

Vs CO we call with 184 combos out of a continuing range of a total of 330 combos which is 55.8% (a smaller proportion of our continuing range)

As said, I agree that the wording seemed confusing and there were others that thought so but this is what I think it was pointing towards.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Comment

At first I was confused but then realised it meant which you more call against as opposed to 3betting. Obviously UTG

Comment

I wouldn't worry about this question. I think the person who made the quiz also thinks it is confusing and I believe he plans to remove that question from the quiz. You are reading the charts correctly and the question is confusing.

Comment

When I took the quiz my reaction was " Dam thats a sneaky trick question !!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
                  When I took the quiz my reaction was " Dam thats a sneaky trick question !!"
                  Haha same here! Although since then I've read every question a lot more carefully so it's helped in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                  X