Homework Routine - the range analyser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homework Routine - the range analyser

I have had a few stabs now and actually feel like I am getting worse, possibly due to my approach to it. So how do the experienced players approach the range analyser?

Jonathan's video explains how to use it, albeit in a very fast manner with just one example but is there a set routine to use?

For example, I completely messed up the latest one because we were now playing out of position and according to the GTO sheets, we must reraise or fold. So we are now playing OOP as the aggressor.

So using the image below (not exact, just a rough stab) we now have a pink (raise value) and a blue (raise bluff) range.

So the flop comes down say 2c 3c 4s.

What is the plan at this point? Starting at the top, I could look at Premium Made (bet). So I want to mark 22 33 44 and probably all overpairs. But they are already marked pink so I cannot start there. So I want to remove the rest? How? Go through each pink and decide where it now belongs? Or do I start from the bottom and work up? Look for junk and mark those?
    And now those draws. Let's take A6. Is this now a straight draw? So remains a draw? Or is it just the Ac6c that is now a draw, flush draw. A4 is also a draw, but it has hit the 4. So is this a draw or a marginal made hand? Or as we have hit the top pair is this actually a made hand?

Sorry if I sound dumb. But I am really keen to learn a set routine to doing these tasks and therefore carrying this over to my actual play that I want to get it right.

Thanks.

The first thing I do is remove the stuff that is no longer in the range (so if the homework says we bet, I remove everything that checked). Then I turn everything left to junk regardless of what is was on the precious decision or street.

Then I figure out my premium hands looking for straights, sets, and 2 pair.

Then I look for my bluffs to get to the correct ratio (2:1 flop, 1:1 turn, 1:2 river). I look first for straight draws, then fill in with weakest flush draws. If I have plenty of good bluffs, I will then look back at my pairs which need the most protection to get to the correct ratio and will play back and forth. I will also factor in how often I should be betting based on range advantage and adjust assuming I have a betting and checking range. This may mean I push the envelope on what is a premium hand or bluff. If I am betting all my range or checking all my range, then I just stick with what I think the natural breakdown is and change the descriptions to match the action [like premium (check) or marginal (bet)].

Then I assign marginal hands. I will adjust these based on how much I want to defend against aggression depending on the situation. Generally I stick with the natural breakdown.

Depending how the range plays out, I may have to decide my marginal before wrapping up my bluffs just because there aren't as many natural bluffs.

On the A6, I would tend to go with all my A6s being a draw. The way I assign draws on this would be 75s, 76s, 86s, K6s, A6s, then my weakest spade or club suited hands to get to a 2:1 ratio.

A4 is definitely a marginal made hand. The pair overrides the draw. That said, it needs protection so you may want to be betting everything in this spot.

Comment

• LondonImp
      LondonImp commented
      Editing a comment
      Really useful.

I didn't realise how haphazardly I had been attempting these until reading this.

That's made my day Peter. I also turned everything to junk but thought that must be a daft idea. Now it seems sensible because someone else has done it too lol.

Thanks for the rest of the info. I will use this as a guide and go back and attempt the last homework all over again.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
    X