QTs vs. aggro whale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QTs vs. aggro whale

I’ve had problems in the past adjusting to maniacs. I used to tighten up way too much and never really gave myself a shot at the spoils of war. I’ve been working on this in study and the opportunity to put my study into practice came up on Friday night. The luckiest thing that happened for me during the session was this guy sitting to my immediate right. There are two decision points in this hand I’d like feedback on please.

Live 1/2. Villain is the table whale. Vpip is 90% or more. He will always raise preflop, whether first in or over a bunch of limpers, from every position. He was not 3-betting much, but would flat raises most of the time. He would straddle every chance he got (utg and button). He’s in for $1k after multiple rebuys.

Postflop, if he had the betting lead pre he would continue barreling until met with resistance. He was capable of folding to aggression but would usually continue with any pair or any draw for at least one street.

The rest of the table is a mix of loose passive and tight passive players.

H: QdTd S:650 P: UTG+1

Effective stack against villain is about $200. Villain is UTG. Button straddles for 5, V blind raises to 15. Hero is UTG+1 with QdTd, what’s your play?

Those sorts of hands tend to get wild so I just fold pre-flop. I don't want to raise with that hand and I hate putting chips in with a speculative
    hand with 6-7 players behind me yet to act bc I'm most certainly going to fold when someone 3-bets.

Comment

Either raise to $40 isolate or call for implied odds on a smackem board. Folding is ok since you're in such a bad position, but at such a bad table as described I'd want to play more playable hands like this than usual.
      Last edited by reeeeeeper; 01-19-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Depends how likely I think it is someone will raise behind. The more likely I will face a raise, I probably just fold but might raise myself. The more likely anyone else who plays will just call, then I would call.

Comment

• 1Peter510
          1Peter510 commented
          Editing a comment
          Then like I said, I would just call. I felt like the answer needed more than just this specific situation.

• kkep
          kkep commented
          Editing a comment
          Lets be clear there was a straddle, not passive and a whale that blind raised and a bunch of loose players behind so we will prolly get some calls when we raise and go to the the flop like 4-5 way....might work for you all but not so much for me.

• 1Peter510
          1Peter510 commented
          Editing a comment
          He did note loose passive and tight passive players.

I am willing to mix it up with suited broadways.

Should be able to get away from the flop if I miss. Sounds like the whale will pay off if we hit. We are looking for ways to play pots with the whale, QTs is a pretty good hand.
          Last edited by 1Peter510; 01-19-2020, 09:04 PM.

Thanks for the discussion thus far. I thought if I called I would wind up in a multi-way pot out of position, so really felt this was a raise or fold spot. I thought there was a good chance of getting it head’s up in position against the whale so I made it 45. Everyone folds to villain. Villain calls.

Flop ($98): KQJ, two clubs, one spade (I don’t remember which was which). Villain checks. Hero?

Comment

• kkep
          kkep commented
          Editing a comment
          Did he look at his cards before he called your raise? If not I would bet like $15. That would narrow is range and win the pot IDK 40-50% of the time.
          If he raises it shouldn't be more than 60-$75 so we can still call. If he just calls we probably bought the river.

• Delta9
          Delta9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, he did look before he called the 45.

• reeeeeeper
          reeeeeeper commented
          Editing a comment
          Check that flop. You have second pair and a redraw, let him bluff at it as much as he wants and call down unless you improve (maybe you raise) or 4 clubs come (maybe you fold).

I would go in ... but not bloat the pot .. sounds like you will be outplayed very often.

Comment

I think theory suggests checking here as you have a pair+draw, which is a marginal made hand with some showdown value.

I would check here most of the time anyway, regardless of theory. Against someone who plays 90% of hands, you can throw GTO/balance to the trash.

In my limited experience, you don't build a big pot with these players unless you have a great hand on the flop, so I think checking makes most sense.
          It's also helpful to show weakness as they tend to go for it then.

I would check behind. If I make my straight on the turn, I call or bet myself (I won't raise, too easy for him to fold). Ofc, problem here is he might have any random flush draw combo that has plenty of equity. You have to watch out for that possibility.

Comment

Double post
            Last edited by Garcy2707; 01-20-2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

what is villains tendencies vs check bet. Does he raise often?

Comment

• CrazyEddie Reloaded
                CrazyEddie Reloaded commented
                Editing a comment
                doesn't sound like hero has all the specifics ... only that villain's been active

So in game I thought against this villain, my hand that would normally be a marginal made hand could be moved to the premium hand category and I'd miss value if I didn't bet. I thought villain would continue with any flush draw, any gutshot, any card he paired with the board and most or all pocket pairs lower than the board. I bet $75 and he folded. I really thought he would either call or shove over that bet with the range I described, against which I'd have 69% equity.

Comment

• CrazyEddie Reloaded
                CrazyEddie Reloaded commented
                Editing a comment
                so it worked out , nobody could have done better than u there.
            Working...
            X