Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Day Challenge

Are you all doing this?

I really like the idea of the quiz at the end of each daily challenge to make sure you are actually listening to the information given during the videos. Sometimes it's easy to slip into a passive-learning mindset.

I'm hoping day 1 was so easy to ease us into the whole process and I'm certainly looking forward to the rest.

Yes in doing it

Comment

Well I selected the wrong answer first up....

Comment

Just did the first challenge. Even though it should have been easy, I totally buggered it! Personally embarrassing. 😜 But that’s why I signed up for this. To improve my thinking process. 😊 I agree about the follow up. It helps instill principles.

Comment

Sorry, I really hope I didn't come across as arrogant with my "easy" comment! It just happened to be something I'd been studying (and discussing on the forum) recently so would've been rather annoyed with myself if I'd got it wrong...

Comment

46/50 in the quiz.

The task I got the second part wrong. I am hoping there will be some discussion somewhere or explanation.

Comment

• LondonImp
              LondonImp commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh right I thought that was the first question of the two.

It's just because we want to pot-control and realise our equity right? There's no point raising with a marginal made just to get raised off our hand and lose all our equity.

• kkep
              kkep commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't know if I would say we are pot controlling although I suppose that is essentially what we are doing..

We have a MM and should play it as such. In my mind a drawing hand implies we are bluffing and I never want to be bluffing with might be the best hand yet not good enough to value bet.

Thinking in terms of developing a strong checking range works better for me than thinking in terms of pot control. Semantics I suppose....

• Richlizard
              Richlizard commented
              Editing a comment
              The question was simply something like you should put more emphasis on your marginal made hand rather than your draw. True or false.

You didn’t come across arrogant at all haha! I’ve got to remember I’m still new to poker in terms of theory etc. I’ve been a member for a month but haven’t don’t a lot of studying. I need to probably balance playing and studying better.

Comment

• LondonImp
              LondonImp commented
              Editing a comment
              For sure mate, at this stage in your learning you want to be at least 50/50 study/play. Personally I'd actually recommend spending more of your time studying than playing.

If you play with older players you may have heard the whole 'you get a bit better with every hand you play'. This isn't true. You reinforce whatever you currently know with each hand you play, but this could result in you getting 'better' at playing badly if that makes sense...
              Last edited by LondonImp; 01-13-2020, 11:19 AM.

Of course!

Comment

Yup Im doing it! Didn't get an email this morning but you can find the challenges on the PC home page.

Comment

• kkep
                kkep commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't get the email either and I checked my SPAM folder too.

I did step one. Hoping to end up completing each day but we’ll see

Comment

Looking back after the fact I can see that I had already taken that quiz. So I should have aced it but at least I improved by 10 points 44/50.
                I suppose I open raised the first time around and played it the same FTR which means I probably bet turn 2/3 pot both times.

I wish there was a way to look up exactly how we played the quizzes on prior attempts rather than just seeing the overall score.

Comment

I'm in ! 45/50 on the quiz, I went big on the flop bet assuming our range is dense with draws. Pretty happy with the results given most my study is deepstacked since I basically only play cash right now.

Comment

I'm in - but I really need to remind myself of selecting the same option as if I'm sitting at the table. I get into "what does my teacher want to hear" mode on a lot of quizzes - I would never fold on the river in real life.. most tilting hand of the day..

Comment

Bugger, 9/10 on the quiz today (day 2).

Over 50% of people got the same answer wrong so I suppose it's an area for a lot of us to work on.

I was very surprised with some people opting to open limp instead of raising preflop for some questions?! What's the point of doing this challenge if you're not actually following the instructions?

Comment

Originally posted by the1whochecks View Post
                        I'm in - but I really need to remind myself of selecting the same option as if I'm sitting at the table. I get into "what does my teacher want to hear" mode on a lot of quizzes - I would never fold on the river in real life.. most tilting hand of the day..
                        I am with you on this.

I often think what would he do, rather than what would I do. And my response will change depending on whether the question is being asked by JL or that loon Assassinato!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonImp View Post
                          Bugger, 9/10 on the quiz today (day 2).

Over 50% of people got the same answer wrong so I suppose it's an area for a lot of us to work on.

I was very surprised with some people opting to open limp instead of raising preflop for some questions?! What's the point of doing this challenge if you're not actually following the instructions?
                          How do you know over 50% got this wrong LI? Are the results written somewhere?

Comment

They show up briefly when you select your answer. It’s quick.
                            I managed 8/10 on my attempt.

Comment

I think this Day 2 challenge might have been thought out a little better to be fair.

The first part says to review the charts. In the description, it advises on raise sizing. You then click next and it takes you to a quiz. May as well test out what you have just learned.

Then you go to do the challenge... you guessed it, it's the same quiz!

Comment

Talking of those pre-flop charts. There are like 2,300 on a page with no option to zoom in. Is there a way to look at each without actually downloading and printing off the chart?

Comment

Originally posted by Richlizard View Post
                                  Talking of those pre-flop charts. There are like 2,300 on a page with no option to zoom in. Is there a way to look at each without actually downloading and printing off the chart?
                                  Ok sussed it. Just need to go to the pdf page and you can zoom in and out at will. Thanks for your help, Richlizard. Richlizard: you're welcome, any time.

https://poker-coaching.s3.amazonaws....lop-charts.pdf

Comment

Day 2 - Adjusting my ranges facing a raise, and when my raises are 3-Bet is definitely something I need to spend more time on. My RFI strategy I feel confident is like second nature at this point, but I'm definitely too static in my calling, 3-betting, 4-betting.

I think this partially stems from my opponents (online 10NL-20NL, Live 1/2) having relatively loose and static ranges, as I play I think I've more or less been playing CO v HJ range with some adjustments for specific players (obvious nits, obvious splashy fish, has proven they play the same range more or less from most positions etc.) Also my 4-bet bluffs are pretty unpracticed, it's a move I maybe make once every couple hundred hands probably, against the obviously too loose villains...especially live, so few 3-bet bluffs

Comment

Working...
                                    X