Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most important thing you have learned over the last couple of months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most important thing you have learned over the last couple of months?

Hey all, thought it would be a good idea with a thread where we all share some new and important, eyeopening or profitable knowledge that we gained recently. I hope we can create a bank of ideas and concepts and help eachother understand new ones!

For me it was

learning to play my draws and premium hands the same way to balance my ranges.

For me it was gaining a better understanding of my fluctuations in confidence. Both the reasons behind the highs and lows, and also the negative effect both were having on my game.

Feeling overconfident following a run of good cards can be just as detrimental to your bank roll as lacking confidence following a stretch of poor-play or bad variance.

This will not surprise most people on here after they've had to read through some of my older, defeatist posts when low on confidence...

Comment

• MrFuss
      MrFuss commented
      Editing a comment
      Im dealing with this right now. Lost 8 buy ins at 25NL in 400 hands the other night. It was so brutal. AK flipping 3 times and missing. AA cracked by AK. QQ cracked by 74 etc etc... I was a bit stunned tbh and not sure how to react. I wasn't really tilted but decided to take a break for a few days and do a bunch of studying.

• LondonImp
      LondonImp commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds awful mate, stunned is exactly how I would've felt too.

Technical skill: Been working on bet sizing, especially on the river. Overlooked way to maximize profit, minimize loss, and when you're doing it right, you look very different from what everyone else is doing at low stakes and it can confuse and intimidate them.

Live soft skill: Linked to what I just said above, when you start playing fundamentally sound, as wacky as it seems you look super out of line to a lot of low stakes players because what you're doing is so different. Do it with a stone cold poker face, and people sometimes get unnerved. Had a guy outright tell me "I don't like playing hands with you, I don't know what to make of your actions," which surprised me because he was so drunk I didn't think he was paying attention to the game at all lol.

Comment

Never tell your spouse you're working late when you're trying to squeeze a couple hours in at the card room.

Comment

Originally posted by reeeeeeper View Post
        Never tell your spouse you're working late when you're trying to squeeze a couple hours in at the card room.
        Now that s funny, I don't care who you are. You should be able to build a good case that you were working.

Comment

not overbet bluffing that often , a potsize or even less is enough to Reach often enough the same results by lower Risk

i learned this from peter

Comment

• CrazyEddie
            CrazyEddie commented
            Editing a comment
            Right , I think peter's telling you that so he can call ...

Balancing your checking range with nut hands AND NUT DRAWS is crucial. Breaking down your checking range with lots of nice hands and big draws (just a few) and breaking down your betting range in the same manner, ahead of time. (JL's homework)

Jungling with the link between alpha - mdf - bet sizing - the odds and understanding how the whole affect directly your actions and frequencies, (MPT Acevedo)

Tripple barrelling, what is a good flop to start with an equity advantage, what are the good turns and how they hit equities (Matt Affleck on Pio is candy)

Overbetting, the ratios, the when and the how(Jonathan Jaffe)

Comment

Probably tightening up from the blinds, meaning not calling almost any two cards just cuz you have semi-decent odds

Comment

• CrazyEddie
              CrazyEddie commented
              Editing a comment
              wow, I learned the opposite... big earner from the big blind

You call any two cards from the big blind? AND you make money with them?
            What videos can I find this information you learned so I can earn more? I’d like to earn more, please tell me where you learned your info. Thanks.

Comment

• CrazyEddie
              CrazyEddie commented
              Editing a comment
              sounds like you are talking about cash games ? I was talking about mtt

anyway, there is no video for that. Upswing crew talk about doug polk and fedor holz always defend their BB. Jon little makes fun of doug polk saying you can raise 6x with AA , he will still defend.

Not to bluff at micro stakes!! Where I’ve lost most when not being disciplined

Comment

• lpm
              lpm commented
              Editing a comment
              You can bluff at micro my friend, just need to be well done (for all the money)

I've learned a lot on PC, but probably the most important thing is I realize there is so much more to learn. At time it seems daunting.

Comment

• LondonImp
              LondonImp commented
              Editing a comment
              "I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." - Socrates.

balance in my check back range and getting max value. They over bet webinar from Jarred Jaffe blew my mind.

Comment

Working...
            X