Much better live than online. I am not sure what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much better live than online. I am not sure what to do

Hello all! I'm new here and don't know quite what to do.
    I have improved significantly as a live player in the last year, though I have a long way to go. My last 4 live Sit and Go's I chopped first (field of 27), got 3rd (field of 13), 2nd (field of 14), and second (field of 15). Not too shabby overall. I love tournament play overall.
    Playing live cash I am up and down but up 100 BB in the last month of play.

That said I really enjoy online. But I continually bleed money online. I've had a couple of decent finishes in big MTT tournaments (in last 12 tournaments I had 1 6th place finish out of a 562 person field, and 1 9th place finish out of an over 600 field).
    Overall I am getting butchered in both online Sit and go's and online cash. I lose over and over and am not sure what the disconnect is. Has anyone else had a difficult time online playing? I like the flexibility of online play, but I'm debating giving up and only playing live if I keep bleeding money.
    Anyways any thoughts would be appreciated.

online is just much harder, the Standard online player has played way More hands and is More Conpetent . most of the best players prefer playing online As they have no travel rake, can play way More hands which increases the hourly rate and so on

you Need to work hard and get better

online you learn the Technical and strategical Game

once you are break even or a small winner in your online games you are ready to crush the live games when you are no tellbox and are used to play live

Good luck

Comment

• Fromfishtoshark
      Fromfishtoshark commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response. I have been studying hard and am going to continue to get better. I will keep plugging away!

I agree with guido about the level of play. Even low stakes online has a bunch of grinders. Better competition plus high rake (max rake at 1-2 live is 3.5BB which includes the bad beat jackpot, verse 8BB at 25 and 50nl) and then aside from the grinders you have some maniacs who can increase the variance quite a bit. All of that combined can make winning consistently tough
    Last edited by kvnb1814@aim.com; 12-03-2019, 12:47 AM.

Comment

By the way you have a great username lol I love it

Comment

in short online opponent are tougher and better

Comment

Yeah as above, online is just way tougher.

As a rough guide, if you are beating 200NL live, you will find the same level of competition in a 20NL game online.

So yes your average win-rate will come down online, but this can be offset by the huge increase in volume. It's all a very fine balancing act when determining what suits you best.

Comment

Personally I’ve found online play as very good practice but no replacement for live cash. I love being able to review each detail of a hand later and try to see where I went wrong. Even idiots online are trying to win and make the same mistakes as live players do. As others have said you have to drop way down in stakes online to find the same skill level as live play.

Comment

As people have said the player pool is stronger online, everyone on average has played way more hands then live, especially if we're comparing to low stakes live. A good way to get more comfortable online and also to just improve in general is play tiny microstakes, I still play 4NL, work on multi-tabling, and just put in an as much volume as you can. You'll learn more playing 100K hands of 4NL online than you will playing 6K hands of live 1/2 and those things take about the same amount of time lol

Comment

Good advice all. Thanks! I will keep it low stakes online and practice. And keep crushing it live I find I lose the most playing cash (and I know I am much stronger in tournament play). So I have been studying Jonathan's quizzes and videos on cash.

Comment

I wish there was more cash quizzes to be honest. Aside from Evan Jarvis and sometimes Matt Affleck there’s not many new cash quizzes

Comment

• LondonImp
                  LondonImp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's to get you to pay for pokercoaching premium I'm afraid, I feel the same.

I have poker coaching premium. I my guess is less than 25% of the quizzes are for cash

Comment

• LondonImp
                  LondonImp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh right. I would expect that to change. Mr Little is predominantly a tournament player, hence the current bias towards tournament quizzes. He has brought a few cash game coaches on board recently though so it might be a case of needing to be patient.

Any deep stack tournament quiz probably applies to a cash quiz.

Comment

Hello Fromfishtoshark and welcome to the fourm! We love helping and studying so please feel free to ask any questions you'd like.

Now on to your question; Short answer the players online are generally better.

Long answer: there are more regs online than live. The reason for this is a combination of things.
                  1. They play more hands and more competent.
                  2. They bad players loose money quicker

There are a few things that you can do to help online play. You can play more of a GTO strategy, you will win less money using this strategy, but you will also be less exploitable.

Now let's dive deeper into your question. Your question seems to be very results oriented. I would definitely start worrying less about how much you win/lose and more about if you're making the correct play.

I hope this was helpful!

Comment

• Fromfishtoshark
                    Fromfishtoshark commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. That was very helpful. I do tend to be on the results oriented side. Earlier I got stacked making the correct move. But I was much more concerned about getting stacked than the fact that over the long run my move was correct.
                    Tomorrow I am playing a wild live game to test things I've been learning from the "How to play wild games" webinar from Jonathan Little. So we will see how it goes.
                Working...
                X