Choose a Bet Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose a Bet Size

Full disclosure I got it right this time.

How about the limp? I'm not a big limper but it seemed appropriate here. No reads on the players 35-40 hands and I was multi tasking so not paying much attention.

PokerStars - $0.50 NL - Holdem - 7 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 93.9 BB
    UTG+1: 116.46 BB
    MP: 78.5 BB
    CO: 152.06 BB
    Hero (BTN): 101.08 BB
    SB: 155.8 BB
    BB: 90.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 2:heart: 2:spade:

fold, fold, fold, CO calls 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB, SB calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (4 BB, 4 players) 2:diamond: 9:heart: 7:spade:
    SB checks, BB checks, CO bets 1.9 BB, Hero raises to 5.3 BB, SB calls 5.3 BB, fold, CO calls 3.4 BB

Turn: (19.9 BB, 3 players) 2:club:
    SB checks, CO checks, Hero bets 7.6 BB, fold, CO calls 7.6 BB

River: (35.1 BB, 2 players) J:spade:
    CO checks, [color=red]Hero bets?

Hand seems reasonable to me.

Maybe raise larger on the flop, pot size raise would be 10bb.

I would probably go half pot on the river, but would support a 29bb-pot size bet.

Comment

I would bet a bit larger on the flop causing a bit larger every street. On the river I would bet 20BB.

Comment

Yeah I think I often raise to small. I need to concentrate on that more

Comment

Originally posted by kkep View Post
          Yeah I think I often raise to small. I need to concentrate on that more
          It's all about finding the perfect balance of making a small profit at high frequency or a large profit at a low frequency.

Not sure if you've read 'Poker Math That Matters' by Owen Gaines but there's a good section in it on this. I'd actually really recommend this book to people with a few holes in the technical side of their games (I often have to go back and review it because I just can't get good enough at doing the maths on the fly).

Comment

On the flop I stayed on the small size because I think these players are almost always betting a weak 9x here and sometimes a 7x (insane right? but so common in these stakes) along with some draws and the only draw is a straight draw. That said I think the optimal bet size might have been to 6.5 - 7BB. The main V's best draw which is his exact hand has roughly 26% equity (HU). A bet of 6.5BB lays him 27% so he needs 30% to make a profitable call. But how do we balance that with trying to keep them in the hand with their 9x combos or is that not relevant?

Also we do still have two players behind us yet to act and we have bottom set. It's not unrealistic for either of the blinds or the Co for that matter to have a set of 7's there.

Had we open raised and c-bet multi way most of the pros seem to like a c-bet in the 1/2 pot range when we are actually betting (except Matt?) anyway one of them hates that sizing across the board.

So my main question now is how do we want to size our raise on the flop multi-way and why?

I went with a polar sizing on the river. I felt like if he had top pair on the flop that is almost certainly folding now to most bet sizes unless they had exactly J9 which will probably call most bet sizes but the straight came in too so rather than try to milk the bottom of his range with a small bet I went after the top of his range with a big bet and I got lucky.

PokerStars - $0.50 NL - Holdem - 7 players
            Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 93.9 BB
            UTG+1: 116.46 BB
            MP: 78.5 BB
            CO: 152.06 BB
            Hero (BTN): 101.08 BB
            SB: 155.8 BB
            BB: 90.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 2:heart: 2:spade:

fold, fold, fold, CO calls 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB, SB calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (4 BB, 4 players) 2:diamond: 9:heart: 7:spade:
            SB checks, BB checks, CO bets 1.9 BB, Hero raises to 5.3 BB, SB calls 5.3 BB, fold, CO calls 3.4 BB

Turn: (19.9 BB, 3 players) 2:club:
            SB checks, CO checks, Hero bets 7.6 BB, fold, CO calls 7.6 BB

River: (35.1 BB, 2 players) J:spade:
            CO checks, Hero bets 48 BB, CO raises to 138.16 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 39.18 BB and is all-in

CO shows 8:heart: T:spade: (Straight, Jack High)
            (Pre 51%, Flop 26%, Turn 0%)
            Hero shows 2:heart: 2:spade: (Four of a Kind, Twos)
            (Pre 49%, Flop 74%, Turn 100%)
            Hero wins 204.46 BB
            Rake paid 5 BB

Comment

• 1Peter510
              1Peter510 commented
              Editing a comment
              Pretty much any raise exceeds immediate odds for a OE straight draws (17% chance of hitting on the turn). He already expressed interest in a limped pot with 3 other players, so I would guess he calls any reasonable bet and 10bb isn't unreasonable given the pot.

I don't play much .5NL so not overly familiar with the player pool, but I doubt anyone that open limps is folding top pair here. I doubt 88 or a 7 folds to a pot size raise either.

It is a relatively dry board, but your 5bb got called by 2 players so I would expect at least one would call a 10bb bet and possibly both.

It is worth noting, I don't think your 5bb bet was bad. I just think there was some additional value there. Ultimately you stacked the guy, so maybe getting an extra 5bb from SB isn't that big a deal. Of course that is the equivalent of dealing yourself KK one hand so maybe we should sweat it.

I also don't worry about being set over set ever. I think the probability is like 0.01%.

In theory its always better to bet bigger then smaller in the river bet .if your range is polarize. this cut off is a fish that overplay his hand. he never think of house ? in a pair board trying to check raise straight , really what worst hand calling him .

Comment

• kkep
              kkep commented
              Editing a comment
              Lots of fish at these stakes.
          Working...
          X