River Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Pressure

I know you all aren't going to like my 2x open but this guy in the BB had only been playing about 4-5 orbits and he seemed to be an aggressive player.
    My typical opens had been 3x but I went 2x planning to call a 3-bet and that's what developed here.

PokerStars - $0.50 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 62.28 BB
    BB: 71 BB
    UTG: 118.8 BB
    MP: 552.1 BB
    CO: 175.12 BB
    Hero (BTN): 171.08 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T:diamond: 8:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB raises to 6.5 BB, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Flop: (13.5 BB, 2 players) 3:heart: 5:spade: J:spade:
    BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (13.5 BB, 2 players) T:spade:
    BB bets 6.4 BB, Hero calls 6.4 BB

River: (26.3 BB, 2 players) 7:heart:
    BB bets 24.98 BB, Hero?

How are you breaking down your BTN range now? Are there hands you raise normal, limp, etc?

Comment

• kkep
      kkep commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes I will over limp but generally I will open my entire range either 2.5 or 3x.

There are times during my session, I played 12 hours online yesterday, where I try different things. Likely out of boredom. But for the most part I think I stay on course.

With 1400 hands yesterday to choose from I could pick only those that I played perfectly but what would be the point?

I see the error there....

• 1Peter510
      1Peter510 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think breaking up your range is a good idea, but would tend to limp with marginal hands like T8s so that the pot stays smaller. I guess it really depends on that specific player though.

That said, I probably fold to the river bet just not wanting to invest in something I am not too familiar with.

I'm not adverse to making big river calls even with marginal hands - I used most of my time bank and in the end I felt like I was probably good.

He didn't bet the flop so the flush draw is unlikely and the same goes for most Jx combos and over pairs. I also blocked the 9d8d leaving him with only the 9c8c
    and (9h8h which may have also been bet on the flop) for the straight.

I need to range this now to see if he really has enough bluffs here for me to call -

PokerStars - $0.50 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 62.28 BB
    BB: 71 BB
    UTG: 118.8 BB
    MP: 552.1 BB
    CO: 175.12 BB
    Hero (BTN): 171.08 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T:diamond: 8:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB raises to 6.5 BB, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Flop: (13.5 BB, 2 players) 3:heart: 5:spade: J:spade:
    BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (13.5 BB, 2 players) T:spade:
    BB bets 6.4 BB, Hero calls 6.4 BB

River: (26.3 BB, 2 players) 7:heart:
    BB bets 24.98 BB, Hero calls 24.98 BB

BB shows A:diamond: K:spade: (High Card, Ace)
    (Pre 61%, Flop 78%, Turn 39%)
    Hero shows T:diamond: 8:diamond: (One Pair, Tens)
    (Pre 39%, Flop 22%, Turn 61%)
    Hero wins 72.44 BB
    Rake paid 3.82 BB

Comment

I think he probably should have c-bet this entire range. I'm going to guess he would have bet with all of his made hands and best draws tho. I'll allow for him to check some of his worst Jx combos.

When I check back I think he is going to bet a lot of stuff on the turn. I noticed most players at this level will in fact start betting there marginal made hands. A lot of them will fire the flop and turn with 2nd or 3rd pair before checking the river, some will barrel all 3 streets.

My reasoning stated on the turn is why I found this to be a difficult spot. I'm losing to a lot of hands they really shouldn't be betting but often are like AT KT QT. I'm even going to have Jx beat a portion of the time. So they really only have 5 Premium combos TT JT 98s

At any rate this is what I have been seeing most often on the river at these stakes. There are a few that will bluff a lot but most are actually bluffing with the best (yet marginal made) hands which is making it somewhat difficult for me to defend correctly.

Here I lose to 100% of his 'value' hands and only beat the pure bluffs.

I need to be good about 31%

If he is only doing this was 6 (spadeX) combos of AKo I have 29% but if he is potting AK he should be willing to pot AQ too

http://www.pokerstrategy.com
      Board: 3hJs5sTs7h
      Equity Win Tie
      BU 40.63% 37.50% 3.13% { Td8d }
      BB 59.38% 56.25% 3.13% { TT, J8s+, AdTd, AhTh, AcTc, KdTd, KhTh, KcTc, QdTd, QhTh, QcTc, Td9d, Th9h, Tc9c, Td8d, Th8h, Tc8c, 9d8d, 9h8h, 9c8c, AdKs, AhKs, AsKd, AsKh, AsKc, AcKs, AdQs, AhQs, AsQd, AsQh, AsQc, AcQs }

I really didn't expect him to have any Jx in his range -

Equity Win Tie
      BU 52.00% 48.00% 4.00% { Td8d }
      BB 48.00% 44.00% 4.00% { TT, AdTd, AhTh, AcTc, KdTd, KhTh, KcTc, QdTd, QhTh, QcTc, Td9d, Th9h, Tc9c, Td8d, Th8h, Tc8c, 9d8d, 9h8h, 9c8c, AdKs, AhKs, AsKd, AsKh, AsKc, AcKs, AdQs, AhQs, AsQd, AsQh, AsQc, AcQs }

If we remove the Jx combos and the AQo only giving him the AKo as a bluff

Equity Win Tie
      BU 36.84% 31.58% 5.26% { Td8d }
      BB 63.16% 57.89% 5.26% { TT, AdTd, AhTh, AcTc, KdTd, KhTh, KcTc, QdTd, QhTh, QcTc, Td9d, Th9h, Tc9c, Td8d, Th8h, Tc8c, 9d8d, 9h8h, 9c8c, AdKs, AhKs, AsKd, AsKh, AsKc, AcKs }

I've been paying off a lot of river bets but I'm also recording valuable information on the player pool which I hope will help me crush these stakes in the near future.

BTW I lost to yet another 1 out'er for a huge pot yesterday. Co opened with 64s suited, I 3-bet from the Bu with QJs.
      Flop Qd3s7s he donked small size, I raised he called. Turn As. All the chips go in the middle and he hit his gutter ball 5s. The variance swings are brutal...

Comment

You seems to expect a 3 bet coming why not 4bet it. I think we have a very good chance of taking down pot plus if preflop can't take down flop carry on c.

Comment

• kkep
          kkep commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't 4-bet enough. I like that. What size would you choose?

• Paul Khoo
          Paul Khoo commented
          Editing a comment
          kkep I also don't 4 bet enough because my opponent don't 3 bet enough. So if I can expect someone to 3 bet ,it means he is 3betting alot. If he is 3betting a lot. Then I can start 4bet. What is the size I really don't know I feel like 4 betting small .Maybe 2.2 to 2.8x raise

• 1Peter510
          1Peter510 commented
          Editing a comment
          What stats did you have on BB?
      Working...
      X