Homework frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homework frustration

I tried the homework questions when i first joined, and since gaining knowledge and understanding of ranges, I tried again for November. I guess I am frustrated because the question assumes I am checking, when my range for the hijack seat would have me betting. What am I not understanding about the homework assignment????

Without being able to see it I'm going to guess that your opening range is to tight.
    What percentage of hands are you opening with? I think I used 24%, the pre flop
    charts use 21%

Comment

At the risk of embarrassing myself I think just about everyone bomb this assignment so far. The only balanced ranges I see on the flop are those that are drawing/bluffing with a ton of hands that have very little equity on a board that should hit the V's range pretty good and ends up leaving to much junk on the turn.

My first range was unbalanced on the flop too, and the only reasonable way I could come with to fix it was to check everything on the flop. I would say bet everything had the flop not had 2 cards 9 or higher

But what do I know....I've not aced one of these yet and even if If I'm right on the flop I was uncertain as to how to play the river.

I really want to check a few more Qx combos on the turn and split my range on the river, best hands + K high junk bet big, marginal hands + best junk (A high) thin value bet small but JL doesn't teach us to play like that but I still think it would be pretty sweet lol

YMMV - feedback encouraged

No rules about discussing the Homework here, right? We *should* all be trying to help each other. It's not a competition....
      Last edited by kkep; 10-28-2019, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• kkep
        kkep commented
        Editing a comment
        Last night during Matt's Webinar he said we should be betting often on boards with two cards 9 or higher as the EP pre-flop aggressor. But we where IP vs the BB. That was a doh moment for me. Of course I c-bet at a high frequency vs the BB in that spot. Matt said our c-bet frequency should be about 70% there.

But do we want to be betting less often on that sort of board OOP vs the Bu cold calling range??? I think so, at least I do in my games.

I have a relatively wide range for hijack seat

Comment

• kkep
        kkep commented
        Editing a comment
        So on the flop we would like to have 2 -1 bluffs/draws - premium and 3-1 marginal made - junk

There are also times we can c-bet everything or check everything.

Often when we are defending from the BB we will have to much junk and there isn't much we can do about it
        Last edited by kkep; 10-28-2019, 10:49 PM.

If you’re betting your entire range on the flop the homework is over, because you don’t have a checking range.

To get the most out of the assignment I’d recommend developing a checking range and figuring out what hands would fit into one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy Bee View Post
        I tried the homework questions when i first joined, and since gaining knowledge and understanding of ranges, I tried again for November. I guess I am frustrated because the question assumes I am checking, when my range for the hijack seat would have me betting. What am I not understanding about the homework assignment????
        I think you may be confused on how to complete the homework. At any given point in the hand you are betting, raising, checking or folding. Some hands in your range you would want to check. Others you want to bet. The purpose of the homework is to look at your entire range and decide which combos you want to bet, and which combos you want to check. If the homework says you check then the hands you selected to check with continue to the next street. If the homework says you bet, the combos you selected to bet with continue to the next street.

After you make your preflop range there must be some hands that you would check on the flop. Certainly you're not betting every single combo you raised with preflop.

Say this is your preflop range. If it folds to you in the hijack you would raise any of these hands.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	26201

In this months homework the button calls and flop comes Qh-Jc-8d. Now, on the flop are you going to bet 33? Are you going to bet 65s? Probably not and those combos would go into your checking range as "junk" or "marginal" If you would bet stuff like QQ and T9. Those combos would grouped as premium. You dont proceed the same way with every combo in your range and the goal of the homework is to teach you how to play each of the combos.

If this is confusing I recommend going back and watching the old homework webinars starting with #1.

Comment

You should be checking marginal hands and junk. I categorized 70% of the hands that saw that flop in my range that way. I did check a few hands that you might consider premium, but even so you should be able to find plenty that should check. Mine is the first answer in case you want to check out what I did. I'm not sure if it's right, but it's pretty balanced.

​​​If you post your exact opening range maybe we can help you find some good candidates.
          Last edited by reeeeeeper; 10-29-2019, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Will check your answer reeeeper

Comment

I agree reading answers in the forum and trying to understand them helps. Particularly look at those that have a range similar to yours, which if you start with the charts in the tools section will be a lot of answers with a similar starting range. If you watch Jonathan's review of the answers, pay attention to who has the ones he comments on as being good. Then look at their answers the next month. You can't go too far wrong by looking at what KKEP, REEEEPER, JAMTAY or other frequent posters answer. I remember my first homework assignment I couldn't figure out what to do because I wasn't thinking in terms of ranges ever, so the question did not even make any sense to me.

Whatever you do, don't ever give up. Keep trying, and pay attention to what you do right and wrong. Eventually you will get it, and then Jonathan's answers will help out a lot because they will help clue you in to things he thinks about that never even crossed your mind.

Comment

thanks everyone!

Comment

Kathy Bee

Let's try to help you though it this month.

To change/add colors scroll down. On the lower left there is a form/box with a line that says number of colors.

Here is your starting range -

May I suggest you format it like this. (we don't have a 3-bet here, but we can have a 4-bet)

The 4-bet suggests that we opened raised with those hands as well. This isn't a range I would use but that's irrelevant.

So now this is your flop range. (I changed the colors to fit more inline with everyone else)
                  You c-bet 100% of your range. That may or may not be optimal (I'm not the pro) but for you this assignment is over since we checked the flop.

May I suggest a flop range similar to this -

Every fiber in my body screams bet AA KK AQ KQ

Now on the turn we want to be about 1-1 Premium to draw and again 3-1 Marginal Made to Junk. I don't have any junk here but
                  whatever hands you can't check call a bet with would be junk.

Here we are on the river -

You could choose to bet some hands and bluffs, check call with everything or check call with the top of your range and fold the bottom of your range.

I'm not suggesting that these are ideal ranges. I'm hoping to help you understand the process and the fundamentals behind it.
                  Last edited by kkep; 11-02-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• Sharon L A
                    Sharon L A commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for this. It's very helpful. I'm new to this too.

• kkep
                    kkep commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are welcome. It's only a guideline tho. I have a long way to go yet.

Thanks, will do better next month!

Comment

Working...
                  X