Does anyone fold Q's here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone fold Q's here?

Remember that hand in the WSOP this year when Q's were folded and everyone was disgusted? Well, I folded Q's today but I don't feel good about it.

I was playing a micro stakes tournament on Party Poker to practice some of the things I've been learning in the classes. I'm very new on the site but not to poker but my image is still pretty tight. I'm just getting back into the game after a 3 year break.

Blinds were 1000/2000.
    UTG with 57BB and Q's, I raised 2.5x. Folded to the button who pushed 25BB. Then the BB, who seemed to be tight, pushed 40BB.
    I would have called the Button but thought the BB wouldn't have pushed without a huge hand in this situation so I folded.

Any thoughts?

I think it was a good fold. Your image is tight, you opened from UTG, and yet the BB is willing to risk a 40BB stack. In the worst case scenario, you are dominated by KK or AA, and in the best case you are risking half your stack in a coin flip against AK (as you block none of these combinations). I also agree that it's an easy call against only the Button player, as his/her aggression range is the widest at 26BB, particularly if your image is tight passive.

You invested only 2.5BB. Preserve your healthy stack and wait for a better spot.
    Last edited by NotAPokerPro; 10-15-2019, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Sharon L A do you have any stats on the players? What are their tendencies? In my opinion, at these stakes, I am not folding here for 40BB ever.

If you told me you had 500 hands on the BB and his stats were VPIP: 15 PFR: 5 or then I could get behind this fold, but in my opinion you should just call.

You need 35% equity to make this call profitably.

I gave the BTN a wider range maybe something like:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	25456

Then I gave the BB a tighter range because he is 4 betting and squeezing I gave him something like:

Views:	43
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	25457

With these ranges you have 44% equity. this is a must call.
      Last edited by jamtay317; 10-16-2019, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• LondonImp
        LondonImp commented
        Editing a comment
        In my opinion the range you have assigned the button is waaaaay too wide. It may be a theoretical correct range with which to play with, but at these stakes players are not shoving a balanced range.

• jamtay317
        jamtay317 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Londonlmp what is the range you would give the btn?

• LondonImp
        LondonImp commented
        Editing a comment
        Ignore me, sorry mate. Clearly if he had A7o the range you assigned the button was waaaaay too tight

In all seriousness though I'd expect to see him turn up with a far more linear range as opposed to polarised. Dropping most of the suited Ax, suited connectors, and low-mid pocket pairs, but then with more broadways included.

dont fold Queens in a Micro mtt for only 40 BB.

the BB can easily have all combos of AQ , AK , maybe AT, 99+

if you happen to run into aces or kings so be it,

i mean 100 BB would be a different Story but 40 BB just push

Comment

Something important to account for at these stakes is the spazz factor. I was on the bubble of a live tournament recently and raised JJ over a EP limper, got cold 3b and then the limper 4b jammed. I decided to fold mostly due to being on the bubble. Turns out the guy limp jammed KTo and the other guy had 3b ATo.
        Moral of the story is I’m okay making some decently big folds to exploit villains you have real reads on or history with but against randos in a small stakes tourney you just have to go with your best hands.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't have any info on the players. As I mentioned, I'm just getting back into playing and I don't have my HUD working and I was on Party.

I was playing less tightly than I usually do as I am trying to loosen up but the BB was very tight. Even when we were in the blinds, he either completed or fold. He may have raised twice. I couldn't put him on anything but top hands when he shoved. He had AKo and the button had A7o. Board was all small cards except the river Q but no 7 so BB won.

Comment

Originally posted by jamtay317 View Post
            Sharon L A do you have any stats on the players? What are their tendencies? In my opinion, at these stakes, I am not folding here for 40BB ever.

If you told me you had 500 hands on the BB and his stats were VPIP: 15 PFR: 5 or then I could get behind this fold, but in my opinion you should just call.

You need 35% equity to make this call profitably.

I gave the BTN a wider range maybe something like:

Views:	45
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	25456

Then I gave the BB a tighter range because he is 4 betting and squeezing I gave him something like:

Views:	43
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	25457

With these ranges you have 44% equity. this is a must call.
            Thanks for putting so much time into this response. I've never been very good at putting people on ranges. At the stakes I've always played (micro and low on line and $1/!2 live and low buy-in tournaments) players are always surprising me with what they play. Hopefully I'll improve at this now that I'm a member here.

Comment

• jamtay317
              jamtay317 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sharon L A I am getting better at it, I still have to force my self to think about what they have on absolutely every hand, even the hands I am not in. Once someone shows up with A2o in a 3bet pot you know that they are quite a bit wider, and you can adjust your ranges next time. With all of that said, without any reads on someone give them a fundamentally sound range until proven otherwise.
          Working...
          X