Hand Reading Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Reading Practice

I have noticed that I'm not really good at reading other players' ranges. I know the concept, however, when it comes down to it during the hand I really just not correct on their hands. Then in hindsight, I say to myself that makes sense.

So on to my question, What do you recommend for practice to get better at this?

I am far from an expert, but I have been focusing on estimating ranges for any hand posted in the forums and the significant hands I play. Hands during play where they show up with something I didn't expect in the moment will be the hands I study later.

I also think it helps if we all post our thoughts on ranges in the forums when discussing hands. That can show different lines of thinking that will help us identify our blind spots.

Comment

This: https://forum.pokercoaching.com/foru...up-main-thread

A really good bit of work from jjpregler (is (s)he still around?)

Comment

• jamtay317
        jamtay317 commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you, but I understand how to do it and I can do it off the table fine. my question was what is a good way to practice this?

"but I understand how to do it and I can do it off the table fine. my question was what is a good way to practice this?"
      This is confusing to me. You say you know how to "do it"... whats the difference between "doing it" and practicing?

1. Do the poker coaching homework. This is constructing your own range but helps understand whats happening with an opponents range.

2. I use flopzilla to study away from the table. If you play online and use a tracker like PT4 its easy to go through your history and estimate villains range. I like to filter for hands where we get to showdown and see if villains hand is in the range I've ended up with. You can also double down and hide your own hole cards and see if your hand is in the range as you would have liked to have played it.

If you dont play online then hopefully you're taking notes on those hands. And you can always find hands in forums to analyze

Comment

• MrFuss
        MrFuss commented
        Editing a comment
        This may be helpful as well https://youtu.be/c5OMwIBaPh0

• MrFuss
        MrFuss commented
        Editing a comment
        jamtay317 I forgot that sometimes I will use flopzilla while doing the quizzes to get some extra value there as well

• jamtay317
        jamtay317 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great Thanks MrFuss, that is a great video
    Working...
    X