Get there on the river in a small pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get there on the river in a small pot

So this was a pot that I was in last night, and I thought it was interesting playing 1/2.
    I had literally just sat at the table and had never played with anyone at the table before.

Hand: 8s8h Stack 200 Position BB
    UTG(Old Guy) limps, +1(middle aged man), +2, LJ, Co BTN(middle aged woman) limps, SB folds, I check
    What do you think about checking here with absolutely no hands on anyone at the table, should I raise $18, if so why?

Flop: 4c5h4s
    we check

Turn:Qh
    we check

River:8c
    I Bet 7, UTG Raise 15, Hero??

I will tell everyone what happened after people get a chance to respond.

I would raise preflop to 22 expecting to get 1-2 callers and expecting the villians to play straightworfard postflop .

As played I would probably raise big on river perhaps even allin expecting calls from any 4 , any AQ in a 1/2 game

you basically only Losing vs QQ which would normally raise preflop

in a Cash Game you Need to raise big here . Otherwise you lose a lot of value

Comment

• jamtay317
      jamtay317 commented
      Editing a comment
      Guido allin? really, you're saying 3bet basicly 3x pot, isn't that too big? you think a Q would call that?

Yeah As an exploit he showed strength it is no Limit you can Go allin for sure

Comment

A really Bad player could call an allin with AQ. But the Main target of any big bet is any 4 , 45, 55, 63 , 68

If you target also 66-jj, QK, QJ, QT for instance , you could raise to 45

Comment

• jamtay317
        jamtay317 commented
        Editing a comment
        I raised to 75, and got called. 64

The 64 would have called to a bigger bet also I Guess

Comment

• jamtay317
        jamtay317 commented
        Editing a comment
        probably would have stacked off. But being that this was the first hand I played with him I had no idea that he had a 4

Pre flop - at low stakes with this many limpers and only 100bb stacks I like taking a flop. You are going to get called by more than 1 so often and raising bloats the pot for us OOP and will most likely give us a fairly small SPR making our life tough on most flops.

River - I want to pick a sizing that targets his strong Qx hands and also targets the small range of boats that we beat and 4x that he decided to slow play (low stakes players do this often for some reason). $50-$60 seems right.

Nice hand

Comment

River raise at 1/2 means he likes his hand. Especially live they're never folding.
        67 definitely in their range with a limp

Comment

Preflop this is not a spot to ISO raise. The greater the number of opponents you face you the stronger your hand should be due to diminishing fold equity (i.e. the more players there are, the less chance you have of the desired number folding) and so 88 doesn't cut it.

On the river I think I can actually get behind Guido's shove here, especially at the low stakes. The average population at these stakes are so rarely raising your river bet here with anything less than what they consider to be a monster I think you're going to get paid off often enough to make up for the times you push your opponent off a weaker Qx that they may have called facing a smaller bet.

Comment

I would raise preflop to 22 expecting to get 1-2 callers and expecting the villians to play straightworfard postflop .

As played I would probably raise big on river perhaps even allin expecting calls from any 4 , any AQ in a 1/2 game

Comment

• LondonImp
              LondonImp commented
              Editing a comment
              You and Guido have a remarkably similar thought process...
          Working...
          X