MDF?what does the -1 represent?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDF?what does the -1 represent?

JL explained the formula MDF= (-1bet (bet+pot) =% needed to defend, what does the -"1" represent? BBs, $$$ or what? he came up with 31 %, 3BBS bet vs R10BBS +POT. the way i interpret it is -1 3bet = 2bet / (10bet+3+1+.5 pot = 14.5)= .13%? -1 300bet? what 1.00$,100.00$, (-1= what) ? or should -1of 3=2 x 14.5=29% ?

Typo, it's:

1 - bet / (bet + pot)

However, I find this easier to remember and apply as the equivalent:

pot / (bet + pot)

Being the inverse of pot odds which is:

bet / (bet + pot)

Comment

I agree i like the easy way, pot / bet + pot, 4.5 / 10 + 4.5 = 14.4. divide into 4.5 = 31% right? got it, thanks make sense to me now..
      pot / raise + pot my 3 bet is added to the pot+1+.5 = 4.5 / 14.5 =his raise + pot .30% hand range to defend?
      the prentice's around the (bet+pot) throw me a curve my thinking there was some multiplication involved? I suck at modern math.
      is MDF mostly for turn and river bets ? also when one refers to 10% of a range means 10% of the range 30%? thanks

Comment

I'm confused by your formatting, let me give you an example.

Blinds are $1/2, Villain raises to $6 and you call out of the BB.

Pot is now $13. You check the flop and Villain bets $7. In this case, the MDF is:

13 / (7 + 13) = 0.65 or 65%

This means that if you don't defend with at least 65% (about 2/3) of the range you defend your BB with, Villain can immediately profit from your folds by betting with any two cards.

When does MDF matter? When you're playing against a strong opponent who's capable of exploiting over-folding tendencies. Or when trying to come up with balanced range compositions in general. If your opponent is either too tight or too loose then MDF isn't as significant, but you still need to know it in order to know the baseline from which you can deviate from.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by reeeeeeper View Post
          When does MDF matter? When you're playing against a strong opponent who's capable of exploiting over-folding tendencies. Or when trying to come up with balanced range compositions in general. If your opponent is either too tight or too loose then MDF isn't as significant, but you still need to know it in order to know the baseline from which you can deviate from.

Hope that helps.
          OR, when you don't know this particular opponent. That will often happen, and in that situation you use MDF also because you don't know if he overvalues tp, or only bets sets+, or bets any two cards, or has no clue and bets based on the score of the football game.

Comment

thanks guys, i have a clearer understanding of MDF and how important it's to visualize ranges..

Comment

Working...
            X