Extracting Max Value w/ AA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting Max Value w/ AA

I played this hand differently than I would have before working and studying hard here at PC and it payed off nicely. The main factors that determined my line was considering villains range and how he would react to different actions. Ill paste the history and add notes within.

$0.10 NL - Holdem - 8 players

BB (BB): 315.7 BB (VPIP: 19.61, PFR: 13.73, 3Bet Preflop: 11.76, Hands: 52)
    UTG (UTG): 74.1 BB (VPIP: 44.00, PFR: 26.00, 3Bet Preflop: 21.05, Hands: 51)
    UTG+1 (UTG+1): 105.9 BB (VPIP: 18.28, PFR: 12.31, 3Bet Preflop: 7.78, Hands: 272)
    Hero (MP): 121.2 BB
    MP+1 (MP+1): 127.7 BB (VPIP: 31.60, PFR: 6.02, 3Bet Preflop: 0.26, Hands: 866)
    CO (CO): 40 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 11.67, 3Bet Preflop: 4.00, Hands: 61)
    BTN (BTN): 77.9 BB (VPIP: 26.79, PFR: 21.53, 3Bet Preflop: 10.53, Hands: 210)
    SB (SB): 249.7 BB (VPIP: 12.63, PFR: 7.32, 3Bet Preflop: 4.03, Hands: 397)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB, CO posts penalty blind 1 BB

Dealt to Hero: As, Ac

fold, fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, BTN raises to 14.5 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 10.5 BB
    (Obviously this is a great scenario and I dont want to push villain off his hand)

Flop (31.5 BB, 2 players): Ad, Th, 7s

Hero checks, BTN bets 10 BB, Hero raises to 106.7 BB, BTN calls 53.4 BB
    (Its highly unlikely villain has an ace and I want to let him continuation bet as the PFR. His stats are LAG and Im sure he will follow up. He does cbet and now we need to figure out how to get him to put his stack in. If he has a set obv all the money is going in so thats not a concern. If he has air or a small pair he probably wont put any more money in the pot. Im targeting hands like Ax and big pairs. If he has Ax he will likely call any bet unless he has a really bad kicker. So what about big pairs? If I flat he probably wont put any more money in the pot. If I make a small raise he may call one time but likely fold to a turn bet as this looks very strong. I decide to shove because I think he'll call with the Ax hands and this may look bluffy enough to make the big pairs call. I specifcally shoved my entire stack instead of just enough to cover to make it look as bluffy as possible.)

Turn (158.3 BB, 2 players): 4d

River (158.3 BB, 2 players): 4h

BTN shows:

(Two Pair, Jacks and Fours)
    (Pre 19%, Flop 3%, Turn 0%)

Hero shows:

(Full House, Aces full of Fours)
    (Pre 81%, Flop 97%, Turn 100%)

Hero wins 192.9 BB

As mentioned this is not a line I would have taken before improving my game here at PC. I would have likely slow played and let villain get off the hook. By thinking about his range, tendencies and targeting specific combos I was able to stack my opponent.

Nice hand. I probably would have just called the flop because it is so easy for the opponent to have nothing. Besides that, great job. I am glad to hear the PokerCoaching content is paying off!

Comment

• MrFuss
      MrFuss commented
      Editing a comment
      My thought was that if I flat and villain has air, he's not putting any more money in the pot so raising or flatting would have the same result if villain has nothing. You've also taught that slow playing is rarely appropriate unless villain can catch up to second best. This is a pretty dry board but there is a draw to broadway and villain could 3bet pre and cbet with KQ, KJ, QJ
      Last edited by MrFuss; 09-08-2019, 05:17 PM.

• Mayday
      Mayday commented
      Editing a comment
      His point was that there are very few cards that can result in villain pulling ahead with a gutshot. Four cards out of the entire deck, and that's if villain actually has the gutshot. The boatload of other hands with almost zero equity are much more likely. Don't play to the one or two possible combos that have 4 outs to beat you. Play to the entire range that is effectively drawing dead.
Working...
X