X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAJ1827
    started a topic Tips and Tricks to work on nervousness at the table

Tips and Tricks to work on nervousness at the table

What are some of the things you think about when in a big pot or in any situation that makes you nervous at the table? How do you stop those nerves from manifesting themselves into something an opponent may spot?

• kkep
    commented on 's reply
    If you write a post that is relevant over and over again tag it so it's easily searchable Or any post you may want to refer back to....

• JredA
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks reeeeeeper.

• CrazyEddie
    replied
    you think maybe it is your fear of being spotted that's causing or exacerbating the problem ?

Leave a comment:

• reeeeeeper
    replied
    Since JredA helped me find this last time I couldn't find it, I'll help him find it this time.

https://forum.pokercoaching.com//for...5952#post15952

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Thinkslow View Post
    Tommy Angelo (Elements of Poker) suggests mindful breathing and trying to put yourself in a meditative state. That seems to help if you can remember to do it.
    Solid advice and I can expand on this a little. If you are nervous its likely because you are scared to lose a pot or excited to win a pot. This means that your mind is focused on the outcome which is yet to be determined. Your mind is living in the future and sabotaging the present. To combat this you need to focus your mind on the past (what actions have been taken) and the present (whats the best action to take based on previous actions). Something like counting combos is fairly thought intensive and can help keep your mind focused. When you're using most of your brains "processing power" to calculate the present it won't have any resources to worry about the future. Mindful breathing works really well with this. It will be calming in all situations, use up some small portion of your "processing power" and provide the steady flow of oxygen your brain needs to function well.

You can zoom out of this situation and relate it to an overall strategy in poker. You should always be focused on your decisions and not the results. Sometimes you'll make the right decisions and win. Sometimes you'll make the right decisions and lose. And alternatively, sometimes you'll make the wrong decisions and win, sometimes you'll make the wrong decisions and lose. Some percentage of the outcome is out of your control but you always have 100% control over your decisions and that needs to be your focus.

This is a very difficult skill to acquire and as with most difficult skills it requires practice. In this case practice would be meditation. The great thing about this skill is that its beneficial to your life in general and not just your poker game. There are lots of mobile apps that can help you practice mindfulness. Most have free trials with limited content. I recommend an app called "Aware" which I've had great success with but there are plenty of other options.

https://awaremeditationapp.com/

You should avoid large amounts of stimulants like caffeine and nicotine. A little bit of coffee is ok and can help you focus but there is a line when it becomes too much. Make sure you're well rested and have eaten a healthy meal. Brain foods are always great and during longer sessions you should bring some good snacks.

12 Best Brain Foods
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324044.php

Originally posted by TAJ1827 View Post
    How do you stop those nerves from manifesting themselves into something an opponent may spot?
    There is a "shortcut" to help with your nerves until you become better at mindfullness and it somewhat contradicts everything I just said but it does work if done with restraint. Alcohol used in very small amounts can help take the edge off but this is totally a crutch and not a good solution. And by small amounts I mean at maximum like 1 cocktail or beer every 2 hours. Just enough to take the edge off but not enough to impair your judgement. And you dont want to shotgun a beer every 2 hours. If you get a beer or cocktail, sip it over the course of an hour or hour and a half. Then during the next hour drink water. Rinse repeat. Also, never mix alchohol and caffeine which compounds the effects of both.

Im not a fan of drinking alcohol while playing but you have to weigh the consequences. If you're giving away really bad tells due to nervousness it may be +EV to calm the nerves and sacrifice a small % of decision making ability. However if done with maximum restraint and purpose you're decisions shouldnt be too heaviliy impacted.

I understand I may catch a bunch of flack for even suggesting alcohol and I want to stress that this is not a great solution but merely a stopgap while developing better long term abilities. OPs title asks for "tricks" and this would fall into that category.
    Last edited by MrFuss; 08-12-2019, 09:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JredA
    replied
    I have written a ton about this in the past on this forum. Unfortunately I am having trouble finding the posts where I discussed this topic.

You can search back through the thread line or if someone stumbles across any of the posts please post a link.

Leave a comment:

• Thinkslow
    replied
    I have the same issue. If both bluffing and value betting the nuts makes you nervous then your body language should be balanced :P
    Tommy Angelo (Elements of Poker) suggests mindful breathing and trying to put yourself in a meditative state. That seems to help if you can remember to do it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X