Interesting hand with 2 pair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting hand with 2 pair

Last night I was playing a 1/2 game about 200bb deep.

I think that I misplayed this hand preflop and on the river, however, I would like some analysis. I should mention that I'd been at the table for 2 orbits, the table was just full of calling stations and 1 maniac who happened to be on the BTN here.

Position SB.... Effective Stack 320...Hand AhTh

7 Limps, I call $1, and BB Check. Personally, I think that I should've made it $17, but I didn't. I think I didn't, because there were so many limpers and I didn't know what they would do. I really don't want to make it $17 and have 8 callers. If that happens what is your plan on the flop?

Anyways, I called and the flop came AdTs9s

I bet $10, HJ and BTN call.

Turn comes and 7d (pot 48).
    I Bet 25, possibly could've made this 35, but I wanted to keep in smaller pairs too. they call

River: 9d (Pot $123)
    I check with the intention of calling the river. Hj checks, BTN Shoves $285.

What do you do? MDF says you have to call 30% of your range, What would your range look like here?
    Last edited by jamtay317; 08-11-2019, 07:49 PM.

I considered this a long time and I think we have to fold VS a maniac or otherwise. I couldn't find enough bluffs that made sense for either type player.
    Last edited by kkep; 08-12-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• jamtay317
      jamtay317 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did fold, but what is your calling range?

• kkep
      kkep commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great question. I developed a range and AT is near the very bottom of our made hands here.
      We should have some flushes that came in, straights, 3 of kind and full houses. I think vs a maniac we should have just kept telling our story and bet for value again tho. I'm curious what some others think...
      Last edited by kkep; 08-12-2019, 09:45 AM.

Lets call this your over limping range -

the flop came AdTs9s and we bet 5BB

Turn comes and 7d (pot 48) we Bet 25

River: 9d (Pot $123) we check I think you said MDF was 30% or in this case about 36 combos so we end up defending most of our AT

River lead strategy - Pot sized bet we need 2 value to 1 bluff and the MDF for our checking range is 12 combos AJ gets us close enough.
    I doubt I would ever try this or could even piece it together live (not yet anyway) but I love working with this range analyzer....

Last edited by kkep; 08-12-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• reeeeeeper
      reeeeeeper commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think there's any way this can be correct for an 8-way flop and 3-way turn.

• kkep
      kkep commented
      Editing a comment
      WTF I thought they were HU once he lead the flop I totally misread that.

I'm starting realize that the more draw heavy the a board is that also contains at least 2 big cards the more we need to be checking flops with sets and 2 pair rather than going for a lot of value.
      Last edited by kkep; 08-12-2019, 03:21 PM.

I fold that river easy in a $1/2 game. Your hand isn't even that high in your range any more. You're beat by any boat, any flush, any straight, and any trips.

As for your what if you raise $17 and get 8 callers? Be grateful you're in such a good game and only play for value.

Comment

• jamtay317
      jamtay317 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. What do you do when you flop this with 8 callers and 136 in the pot? Shove? Bet 100? I really don't know what to do here? You are SB.

• reeeeeeper
      reeeeeeper commented
      Editing a comment
      Top-two is certainly value. I lead for $60-100 depending on how the table's been playing post-flop. Get value from pairs and two-pairs and draws that don't have the odds or implied odds to continue. That turn isn't great, but I'm likely jamming the turn if any callers to make any draws pay maximum. Again, the SPR was small enough that even if you lose here I don't think you could be losing money overall. The tricky board would be like AsJs8h, that's a tough one to play 8-way with AhTh.

This is a very rare situation that something like this happens. But it's very good to be prepared for. With that said, i guess i should have stuck with my original thought check call. Have to admit i didn't want to put double the pot in with this hand. Call me a bit, but i really didn't want to do that. I later saw the same player over valuing top pair. With that said, i should have called. I didn't know that at the time of the hand.

Comment

• kkep
      kkep commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't beat yourself up. Just because you saw him over value top pair later doesn't mean he didn't have you crushed this hand.

• jamtay317
      jamtay317 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that hand is over. Thanks for the support.
Working...
X