New to PC. Posting old homework here.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrFuss
    started a topic New to PC. Posting old homework here.

New to PC. Posting old homework here.

As the title suggests, Im new to pokercoaching.com. I will be using this thread to post my answers to old homework assignments that do not have an open thread in the homework forum for the following reasons.
    1. I want to be working through these assignments as they seem to be the most valuable content.
    2. I want to practice posting homework answers in the forum correctly.
    3. I want to have my answers available for review when watching the corresponding webinars.

Any responses, feedback or conversation is certainly welcome however that is not the main purpose of this thread.

• MrFuss
    commented on 's reply
    For the first few assignments I was watching the webinars and then going back and completing the work. Then I was answering 1 part of the assignment and watching the corresponding part of the webinar to compare my answer, answering the 2nd part and comparing etc...

Now I've reached the point where the original homework threads are still open and will be posting my answers there. Now that I have a basic understanding of the theory I can complete the homework before wathcing the webinars as you suggest.

• Guido
    commented on 's reply
    wow you have a lot of work ethic. The hw cost lots of time but they are very effective. But bettet would be if you with the hw and then compare your answers witj jl answers

• MrFuss
    replied
    2017-09-07

Everyone folds to you in the cutoff with a 75 big blind effective stack. Everyone yet to act plays reasonable well. What is your strategy?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170907.1.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	23640

Raise 3bb with standard CO RFI range.

Suppose you raise and only the button calls. The flop comes Jh-6h-3c. What is your strategy?

Name:	20170907.2.PNG
Views:	10
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	23641
    Our range equities are fairly even so I want to be checking more than betting. When I bet it will be a small sizing, between 1/3-1/2 pot. My draws are mostly any 1 or 2 card straight and flush draws and some offsuit overcards. I have a good balance of top pairs in my checking and betting range. Im also keeping A3s in my checking range so I have the NFD covered.

Suppose you bet and your opponent calls. The turn is the (Jh-6h-3c)-Ad. What is your strategy?

Name:	20170907.3.png
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	23642

Im betting all my bigger Aces + and flush/straight draws. Checking weaker aces with some NFD and middle pairs.

Suppose you check and your opponent bets. What is your strategy?

Name:	20170907.4.png
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	23643

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2017-08-23

Everyone folds to the button, a strong player, who raises to 3 big blinds out of his 100 big blind effective stack. The small blind folds. What is your preflop strategy from the big blind?

Name:	201708231.png
Views:	17
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	23511
    If I 3bet I'll be using a large sizing, like a pot sized raise to 11/12bb.

Suppose you call. The flop comes 9h-7h-6d. What is your strategy?

Name:	201708232.png
Views:	12
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	23512
    I'm checking my entire range with the intention to check raise with my best made hands and draws.

Suppose you check and your opponent checks behind. The turn is the (9h-7h-6d)-3c. What is your strategy?

Name:	201708233.png
Views:	12
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	23513
    Im going to lead with a very balanced strategy containing 1:1 value:bluffs and a strong checking range which contains many hands I can easily call with or possibly x/r depending on the read I get from my opponent.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2017-07-09

Everyone folds to you in the hijack seat with a 100 big blind effective stack. Everyone yet to act plays reasonably well. What is your preflop raising range?

Name:	2017.07.09.1.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	23465

Suppose you raise and only the big blind calls. The flop comes 8h-7h-5d. Your opponent checks. What is your strategy?

Name:	2017.07.09.2.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	23466
    I have a small range advantage and the nut advantage but this board hits the BB calling range pretty strong. Im betting about 45% of the time with a large sizing. maybe something like 60%-70% pot. Im going to check my nut flush draws and bet the rest. I'd like to have some flushes in my checking range if the heart comes on the turn. Additionally the ace high hands could have some showdown value.

Suppose you check behind. The turn is the (8h-7h-5d)-Kd. Your opponent checks. What is your strategy?

Name:	2017.07.09.3.png
Views:	14
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	23467
    After the flop checks through and my opponent seems weak by checking the turn Im betting most of my range with a small sizing, like 1/3 pot. I have good draws and hands that can call down. If opponent were to x/r I want to keep the pot smaller so I dont get blown off these hands. Im keeing A6s in my checking range to cover the flushes and straights on the river. All the kings and the rest of the flush and straight draws are getting bet. Im also betting underpairs for protection as they could be the best hand at this point.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2017-06-09

You show up on time for a tournament notice that three of the other players seated at the table appear to be complete amateurs. They do not know how to stack their chips, are not carrying any sort of bag, and are discussing how this is their first tournament. The other players at the table seem competent/normal.

When everyone folds to you and one of the amateurs is in the big blind, how should you adjust your strategy?

From EP I wouldnt vary my default opening range.
    From MP I would widen my range slightly
    From LP I would widen my range even further.

Name:	2017-06-09.1.png
Views:	18
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	23419

Name:	2017-06-09.2.png
Views:	23
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	23418

When everyone folds to you and one of the competent/normal players is in the big blind, how should you adjust your strategy?

I would play my default strategy without any adjustment.

When one of the amateurs raises before the flop, how should you adjust your default strategy?

This depends on my position and players left to act. Im more likely to flat with most of my range when amateurs are left to act because I want them in the pot with their garbage. If there are good players left to act I'm more likely to 3bet so I can isolate the amateur and play in position. If I believe the amateur will be calling a 3bet often I would use a linear 3 betting range. If I believe they are folding too much to a 3 bet I will use a polarized 3 betting range.

When one of the competent/normal players raises before the flop, how should you adjust your strategy?

This depends on my position and players left to act. Im more likely to flat with most of my range when amateurs are left to act because I want them in the pot with their garbage. If there are good players left to act I'm more likely to 3bet so I can isolate the amateur and play in position.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2017-05-17

Everyone folds to you in the hijack seat with a 50 big blind effective stack. Everyone yet to act plays reasonable well. What is your preflop raising range?
    Suppose you raise and only the big blind calls. The flop comes Ac-7h-2d. Your opponent checks. What is your strategy?

Name:	2017-05-17.png
Views:	24
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	23365

Im opening about 20% of hands here against reasonably skilled players. If the remaining players were weak my range would be a little wider and if they were stronger it could be a little tighter. On this flop I'm likely to bet 100% of my range. On an extremely dry ace high board I have the range advantage and it will be hard for villian to defend with good frequency. My draws are hands with backdoor straight and flush draws. The remaining suited hands become bluffs.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2017-04-22

Everyone folds to you on the button with a 50 big blind effective stack.

If the players in the blinds are both overly tight, what is your strategy? How do you respond with your entire range when you raise to 2.5 big blinds and the big blind 3-bet to 8 big blinds?

If the players in the blinds both play well, what is your strategy? How do you respond with your entire range when you raise to 2.5 big blinds and the big blind 3-bet to 8 big blinds?

If the players in the blinds are both maniacs, what is your strategy? How do you respond with your entire range when you raise to 2.5 big blinds and the big blind 3-bet to 8 big blinds?

Name:	hw14 vs nits.png
Views:	25
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	23314

When opening on the button vs overly tight players in the blinds my range is going to be extremely wide to exploit their tendency to fold too often. When they 3bet its going to be with a very strong range. I would only 4bet with the nuts and a couple offsuit broadways. Im happy to get all the chips in with the nuts and the bluffs with good blockers may get a nit to fold middle pairs or something like AJ, AT or even AQ. Im calling with hands that flop well with good implied odds. By folding 87% of our opening range we're highly exploitable but only because we're trying to exploit our opponents.

Name:	hw14 vs good.png
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	23315

When opening on the button vs good players in the blinds I want to use a solid balanced strategy. Im opening with about 50% of hands. When facing a 3 bet I'll fold about 50% of my opening range, 3bet polarized with 25% of my opening range and call with the remaining 25%.

Name:	hw14 vs maniacs.png
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	23316

When opening on the button vs maniacs in the blinds my opening range is going to be a little stronger than the previous ranges in anticipation of getting 3 bet more often. I would most likely not be 4 betting any of my range. I want to call with all the nuts and reasonable holdings keeping my opponent in with all his garbage and expect him to loose his mind post flop against my very strong range which I can easily get it all in with. If the player was weighted more towards LAG than maniac I would add in some value and bluff 4 bets.
    Last edited by MrFuss; 08-24-2019, 03:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2017-03-15

You raise to 3 big blinds out of your 100 big blind effective stack from the lojack seat. A strong, loose, aggressive player reraises to 10 big blinds from the small blind. He has reraised you one time over the last two hours and you folded. He has generally been aggressive. Define your strategy with each part of your range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hw13.png Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	23290

Im rasing about 20% from the lojack. A strong, loose aggressive player would likely 3 bet with a polarized range from the small blind, possibly weighted towards value since' he'll be playing out of position. My raise sizing is 2.5x. I would use a strong value 3 betting range and a bluff 3 betting range that flops well with good board coverage or has blockers. My 3 betting ratio is 1.5:1, bluff to value. Im calling with hands that flop well and have good implied odds which is just under half my opening range.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2017-02-16

A loose aggressive player raises to 3 big blinds out of his 100 big blind effective stack from the lojack seat. The cutoff and hijack, both somewhat typical players who play in a straightforward manner, call. You call on the button. The flop comes Kc-6s-5d. Everyone checks to you. Assume you have K-Q, K-7, 9-8, 8-7, A-6, 5-4, 2-2, A-4, or Q-9. What is your flop strategy with each of these hands and why?

Name:	hw11.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	22580Click image for larger version

Name:	hw11.1.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	22581

When the LAG opener checks I'm fairly confident he doesnt have a king. And similarly when the 2 straight forward players check I assume they also dont have any decent made hand or draw. This allows me to bet the majority of my range and I would turn my marginal made hands into value bets. If I got the read that the opponents had no interest in continuing I would probably bet 100% of my range, capitalizing on my position and the weakness the opponents have shown.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    commented on 's reply
    forgot to include the suited hands here. oops

• MrFuss
    replied
    2017-01-24

You have played a somewhat straightforward strategy for a few hours without showing any memorable bluffs. You raise from the cutoff to 3 big blinds out of your 100 effective big blind stack. Only the big blind, a splashy calling station, calls. The flop comes 9s-8c-6d. Your opponent checks. Assume you have 6-6, 9-8, A-A, T-T. Q-9, A-8, 8-7, 7-7, J-6, 2-2, A-K, Q-T, or K-5. Which hands should you check and why?

Click image for larger version  Name:	hw9.PNG Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	22457

When playing vs a calling station we can bet our marginal hands for value because a calling station will continue more often with worse hands like ace high and junky draws.
    In this scenario...
    (Premium bets) TP+
    (Draw bets) pairs w/ straight draws, straight draws, pairs w/ backdoor flush draws and overcards
    (Marginal bets) middle and bottom pairs
    (Junk checks) underpairs and no pairs

This strategy has a ratio of 1.5:1 (draws : premium) & 1:1 (junk : marginal) which is nicely balanced.
    Last edited by MrFuss; 08-12-2019, 08:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2016-12-15

The action folds to a reasonably loose and aggressive player in the cutoff who raises to 2.5 big blinds out of his 50 effective big blind effective stack. You are in the small blind. The player in the big blind plays well. Define your preflop strategy with each part of your range.

Name:	HW9.1.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	22312

A LAG is likely raising a fairly wide range from the CO. With a good player in the BB I would like to use a 3betting strategy to discourage the BB to get involved. If the BB were a weaker player I would use a wider calling strategy with fewer 3bet bluffs because we want to play hands vs weaker opponenents. This 3betting range lets us call with hands that flop reasonably well. We have almost 2:1 ratio of 3bet bluffs to 3bet value which gives us lots of fold equity vs the CO wide opening range. If the CO calls our 3bet we have hands that play reasonably well and mostly straight forward. If we get shoved on we can fold all of our bluffs and only continue with our strongest value hands.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2016-11-18

You have played a somewhat straightforward strategy for a few hours without showing any memorable bluffs. You raise from the cutoff to 3 big blinds out of your 100 effective big blind stack. Only the big blind, a splashy calling station, calls. The flop comes Ks-Jc-6s. Your opponent checks. Assume you have A-K, K-7, Q-J, 9-9, A-6, 7-6, 5-5, Q-T, Q-9, or 9-8. Which hands should you check and why?

When playing vs a calling station our range skews slightly towards betting for value. Some of our typical marginal hands become premium hands when we're more likely to get called by worse holdings. Im checking my marginal hands and my junk. Checking marginal hands balances my checking range because Im able to call a turn bet on most cards and go from there.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2016-09-13

Everyone folds to you in the hijack seat (seat to the right of the cutoff) and you raise to 3 big blinds out of your 100 big blind effective stack. Only the big blind, an unknown, but likely competent, player calls. The flop comes Js-6c-3s. Which hands are you continuation betting and for how much? Which hands are you checking?

On this flop Im betting a large percentage of my range made up of my strong hands, draws and hands with little SDV. Since Im betting a large percentage of the time I want to bet smaller, like 30%-40% pot. My opponent needs to continue with a wider range which keeps hands Im beating in play. And I dont need many folds for this bet sizing to be profitable. With my top pair hands Im probably betting AJ, KJ 100% of the time and J with weaker kicker maybe around 50% of the time.

Name:	HW6 Bet.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	22276

My checking range is going to be marginal hands with showdown value which are the weaker top pairs, PP below TP, any sixes and AK, AQ . I dont want to get x/r when betting these hands. Im looking to call 1 or 2 streets and get to showdown depending on runout. This also protects my checking range so that its not transparently weak. I want to be able to call future streets with some frequency after checking.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2016-08-25

A generally solid player in first position raises to 3 big blinds out of his 100 big blind effective stack. You are in second position. Everyone else at the table is reasonably tight and aggressive, with no one being a blatant maniac. Define your strategy with each part of your range.

UTG's range is very strong and I want to choose a range that can play well against it. In this scenario I want to keep all my nut hands in my calling range so that Im able to defend against a late position squeeze. It appears my range is capped when in fact I have all the nuts which makes it difficult for either UTG or those left to act to play well against me.

Leave a comment:

• kkep
    commented on 's reply
    Why in the hell would you take his advice over mine?
    Good stuff, thanks for the reply.

• MrFuss
    commented on 's reply
    My process with these early homework assignments is to first watch the related webinars and take notes. Then the next day I come back and complete the homework. "Not playing a big pot OOP against a good player" is straight from Jonathan's webinar so Im going to heed his warning

• kkep
    commented on 's reply
    I like this and have been working in a similar strategy late in tournaments.
    However this deep I don't think we should be to concerned with pot size as long as we play well post flop.

• MrFuss
    replied
    2016-06-25

Everyone folds to you in the small blind with 100 big blind stacks. The player in the big blind is a world-class player who plays well. You have no history with your opponent. Your opponent likely assumes that you are competent. Define your strategy with each part of your range.

A pro player is likely to call any standard raise and I dont want to play a bigger pot out of position against a good opponent. In the SB Im getting great odds to see a flop and that is my main goal. By limping we give ourselves the best chance to see a flop with good odds. If BB raises I will fold my trash hands, call with a wide range as we're still getting great odds and 3bet a polarized range. When facing a raise we're continuing 77% of the time which makes it hard for BB to exploit us by always raising our limp. 3betting polarized gives us great board coverage and will make it harder for the opponent to play against us on the flop. Our 3betting range is fairly balanced with 7% of our opening range value hands and 8% being bluffs.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2016-05-24

Everyone folds to the button, a world-class player who is generally loose and aggressive, who raises to 2.5 big blinds. The small blind folds. You are in the big blind with a 25 big blind stack. Define your strategy with each part of your range.

I would assume a world class LAG is rasing pretty wide on the button. With a 25bb stack I'd rather not play a hand OOP against a tough opponent. There should be enough fold equity here to shove this 77% range with positive EV.

Leave a comment:

• MrFuss
    replied
    2016 - 04 - 27

Everyone folds to you on the button on the first hand of a $1,500 WSOP event. The players in the blinds are middle-aged males who seem to be recreational players. You have 7,500 chips at 25/50. What is your raising range and why?

I will be opening 50% @ 3BB. At 150BB deep we have plenty of room to manuever and losing a small pot is not detrimental if we run into a strong hand. I believe I can outplay rec players in position after the flop, especially in the beginning of a WSOP event as the opponents are more likely to play cautiously than to get out of line.

If one of the blinds 3bets this would be my continuing range. Of course there are other variables such as if the 3bet comes from SB or BB and if SB 3bets and BB calls however I dont think the intention of this assignment is to delve that deep into the scenario so this is a generic range based on one opponent 3betting from either blind and the other opponent folding.

Based on the original opening range of 50%...

1. This range is fairly balanced with 53.8% folding and 46.2% continuing
    2. Call = 27.5% vs 4bet = 19.8% for a 1.3:1 call:raise ratio
    3. 4bet bluff = 11.5% vs 4bet value = 7.3% for a 1.5:1 bluff:value ratio
    4. My offsuit 4bet bluffs block all broadway cards and stand a reasonable chance to get my opponent to fold their equity advantage
    Last edited by MrFuss; 08-04-2019, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X